Princess Madeleine's Fashion & Style, Part 4: December 2011 - May 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lady Finn, I agree, the black dress worn to the NYC awards gala was not a good color for Madeleine. It looked almost gothic, spooky, and she didn't wear enough lipstick to give color to her face in contrast to the black.

The evening gown does her no justice at allI t reminds of a gown Fergie wore when married to Andrew, a Vivienne WestwoodI think, as with that stuation here it is a gown for a very thin perso fragile almost and thaat is no M , don't get me wrong she looks great in herself lost wt and so on bu this is a mess on her.
We all dream of looking a little different but this is not a dream that should be played out in public IMO.
Horrible

The dress during the day was beautiful, I love the colour and it suited Madeleine well.
Madeleine at the The Royal Gala Award Dinner at The Mandarin Oriental Hotel in New York City.
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image
Side view
Back view
I don't like this dress at all. The colour isn't the best possible for Madeleine, the dress is a mess with too much of everything. It makes her look much taller than she really is and the back view surely isn't flattering at all.
Oh dear! What can I say . . . this is the most messy, shapeless, rag I have ever seen her wear.

I really love the dress but I really dislike the cleavage. There was a historical period when it was considered polite to show cleavage like this, but today is not that period, not for royals who want respect. I guess this is an odd opinion I have...but I prefer the royals who are modest.
Actually, I didn't see any "cleavage" per se. In fact, I think the whole sculpted bare back/shoulders/décolletage look is not one she should be sporting as it just makes her look shapeless.

Wow, Halloween is approaching fast! Madeleine looked so pretty in the green dress, the evening dress is plain awful!
Halloween, yes that was the word I was looking for. Morticia move over!

Lady Finn, I agree, the black dress worn to the NYC awards gala was not a good color for Madeleine. It looked almost Gothic, spooky, and she didn't wear enough lipstick to give colour to her face in contrast to the black.
Oh yes, the bloodless lips really finish the look, although if she was striving for Gothic she would have needed to wear black lipstick.

All in all this is not a good look. The dress somehow makes her look shapeless, heavy and lumpy, not to mention thick-waisted. The more recent addition of abundant little-girl curls tumbling over her shoulders is just so desperate looking. She needs to remember she's 30 and not 20. For a while there she was perfectly put together, elegant whether in casual or formal dress, her hair styled perfectly to match the occasion but now she uses it a sort of curtain to peep out from rather like a small child does. It's a worry!

This look is just awful! There is way too much going on. What was she thinking!?

I usually don't comment on Madeleine's fashion, but that dress is quite possibly the ugliest I've ever seen. I hope it wasn't expensive because I wouldn't use it to clean my windows let alone wear it to a gala event.

As much as I like Madeleine, I have to agree with you on this dress, EIIR. I cannot imagine what possessed her to buy this.

Yeah, this black dress is pretty cheap looking. Definitely not looking like a princess.

Oh dear! What can I say . . . this is the most messy, shapeless, rag I have ever seen her wear.

Actually, I didn't see any "cleavage" per se. In fact, I think the whole sculpted bare back/shoulders/décolletage look is not one she should be sporting as it just makes her look shapeless.

Halloween, yes that was the word I was looking for. Morticia move over!

Oh yes, the bloodless lips really finish the look, although if she was striving for Gothic she would have needed to wear black lipstick.

All in all this is not a good look. The dress somehow makes her look shapeless, heavy and lumpy, not to mention thick-waisted. The more recent addition of abundant little-girl curls tumbling over her shoulders is just so desperate looking. She needs to remember she's 30 and not 20. For a while there she was perfectly put together, elegant whether in casual or formal dress, her hair styled perfectly to match the occasion but now she uses it a sort of curtain to peep out from rather like a small child does. It's a worry!

Oh what an unfortunate choice of dress! . . . somebody better give her some advice quickly. :ohmy:

I have to admit I am stumped. Madeleine had "it", that magical quality of being able to put it all together and look absolutely stunning as any random glance over her eveningwear, e.g. the Nobel Ceremonies, will attest.

Her dress used to be impeccable, elegant and very feminine and her hair, even when worn down, was perfectly dressed. Yet now, it is as if she has slipped a cog, or maybe 10-12 years if the baby curls are anything to go on, I mean, good grief, the only thing missing there was the obligatory little girl ribbons!

What has happened, how did she lose her mojo? I am at a loss to understand what has happened as most of our royals seem to just get better with time and experience. Any ideas anyone?

MARG said:
I have to admit I am stumped. Madeleine had "it", that magical quality of being able to put it all together and look absolutely stunning as any random glance over her eveningwear, e.g. the Nobel Ceremonies, will attest.

Her dress used to be impeccable, elegant and very feminine and her hair, even when worn down, was perfectly dressed. Yet now, it is as if she has slipped a cog, or maybe 10-12 years if the baby curls are anything to go on, I mean, good grief, the only thing missing there was the obligatory little girl ribbons!

What has happened, how did she lose her mojo? I am at a loss to understand what has happened as most of our royals seem to just get better with time and experience. Any ideas anyone?

Well, it's just one gown. So...I wouldn't panic yet.

Perhaps Madeleine is trying to get rid of her blond sweet innocent image and goes to the other extreme, vamp/black swan/black widow.

I think we all agree on this...it is really bad...she is getting American and less European, very shinning, too mucht decoration, all too mucht...she is a bit "big"... so she should wear more pale colours, simple dress, she has a natural beauty that doesn't require too mucht decorations....

biboquinhas said:
I think we all agree on this...it is really bad...she is getting American and less European, very shinning, too mucht decoration, all too mucht...she is a bit "big"... so she should wear more pale colours, simple dress, she has a natural beauty that doesn't require too mucht decorations....

So many things to object to in this post, and I'm really busy right now. Suffice it to say, I don't agree. At all.

That wouldn't be this first time you addressed "American" choices by Madeleine, would it? And both times it wasn't nice. Interesting...

Is this just a case of English not translating? I see you use "big" in inverted comma's. Are you using it in the sense or "going large" or bold, as opposed to big as in heavy or over weight?

I think we have all noticed that there are fashion trends in the US that are even different to those in Canada let alone UK or Europe. To me this particular outfit would be what I would call bold, in your face, very American, more Hollywood that Royal and totally different from that which she usually wore even a year ago.

Last edited:

Posts that discussed weight issues only have been removed. Please note that this a thread to discuss fashion choices and nothing else - further off topic posts will be deleted without notice!

I don't think her choosing an ugly dress has anything to do with her being in America we have some beautiful things here like in all countries she just used really bad judgment in choosing that dress.

She looks just spectacular in that dress!

I have always hoped Victoria and Daniel would take Chris on some of their jogs and workouts;)

She looks really pretty in the green dress. Beautiful really.

I like the design of the dress, but not the deep colours. Madeleine is beautiful though, stunning Princess.

I love the green dress; the design is very nice and the colour really makes Madeleine's eyes pop.
What I don't like is Chris' tie; a little colour-coordination wouldn't have gone amiss, young man!

I like the dress, she looks very Hollywood though.

I think she looks stunning in the green chiffon dress. Its the perfect sort of dress for the camera and the backdrop. And it complements Chris' suit. I think she looks beautiful and her hair looks amazing!

I just love the green on her very flattering they are both very charming .

That green outfit is stunning on her! Love that color.

Does anyone have any decent full length photo's of Madeleine in her engagement dress?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom