Princess Letizia's Daytime Fashion Part 15: August 2010 - October 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought she looked good. I like the wrap around and felt she looked quite charming. It must be the Spanish in her to dress like she did and I felt it was moving seeing her represent the country on national day. I don't see where she is wrong. Enjoy seeing her. Thanks for all who share their pics.

Letizia looked okay, but in past years she's worn more formal attire. She sticks out from the rest of the Royal Family like the one who is out of the loop. It's Spain's National Day and I think she should have put a little more thought into her outfit. I suppose with the pants and blouse she could have worn a long knee length coat and scarf around her neck, that would have been better than that cape.

Letizia does know what is suitable and what isn't for an event. Look at her in the past years, she has been dressing quite well for each and every occasion but this past 2 years its the attitude of I don't bother. If she is on a budget, then maybe a full suit from a less designer in Spain than Valera with half an outfit.

I'd like to see that outfit again but at a less formal event, a more day to day event.

A la princesa Letizia le gusta destacar

Letizia se suma a la insumisión de Chacón y Trini "capta" al Rey

Doña Letizia, acusada de saltarse el protocolo y dejar en evidencia a Don Felipe

La recepción de los reyes en el Palacio Real, más concurrida que otros años: banqueros, políticos, periodistas, empresarios e Isabel Preysler. Letizia no siguió el protocolo

¿Traje corto o pantalón en el Palacio Real?

Doña Letizia nos sorprende siempre

She must be very naive if she thought that her outfit would not cause any controversy. I don't believe that she doesn't think what she is going to wear, someone that doesn't want attention chooses a clasicail suit not something so casual and moreover she broke the etiquette as woman are required to wear skirts. If she wanted to wear trousers as some of the members of the government at least she should have chosen a formal suit not that.

Doña Letizia, acusada de saltarse el protocolo y dejar en evidencia a Don Felipe

La recepción de los reyes en el Palacio Real, más concurrida que otros años: banqueros, políticos, periodistas, empresarios e Isabel Preysler. Letizia no siguió el protocolo

She must be very naive if she thought that her outfit would not cause any controversy. I don't believe that she doesn't think what she is going to wear, someone that doesn't want attention chooses a clasicail suit not something so casual and moreover she broke the etiquette as woman are required to wear skirts. If she wanted to wear trousers as some of the members of the government at least she should have chosen a formal suit not that.

Probably the press before writing these things, should ask the real experts in protocol.

The term "short suit" is used traditionally in the etiquette, but for many years the protocol accept that women wear pants, because it is a clothes that dresses with the same normality that the skirt. If we use literally the names of the etiquette (cocktail dress, long dress) the women could never wear trousers.

It would be ridiculous enough to force the women to dress skirt in the 21st century.

The Queen dresses her "summer pajamas" in many dinners and nobody accuses her of breaking the protocol for not dressing cocktail dress.

The same thing happened when the press criticized the Minister of Defense in the Pacua Militar for dressing trousers ... when she had asked to the experts of protocol of defense and the Royal House.

lula,
I am surprised to read your arguments defending Crown Princess Letizia's pants by dragging her mother-in-law into the discussion. It is so trite. Queen Sofia is the Queen. That says it all for me. Additionally she has got a privilege of her age.

If she had wore a formal suit as the vice president or many other female guests this would be only an anecdote. Instead she wore a ridiculous outfit by all standars. To justify her outfit saying that she wants to be austere is nonsensical, she could have repeated one of her previous outfits as the rest of the SRF did.

She wanted to be talked about yesterday and she achieved it, if the vanitatis article is truthfull even the high ranking militars talked about her outfit.

Sometimes the royal outfits can be liked or not depending on taste but this time it's beyond that. It's one of the most special days in Spain and she presents herself like that??? I thought that the shorts must be her worst outfit but this is even worse. :nonono:

The queen knows when she can breach the etiquette and when she can't, she doesn't like hats and she avoids them making the etiquette of formal events in Spain more casual than in other countries but none of her outfits can be compared to this one, moreover it's nearly an insult.:hammer:

She must be very naive if she thought that her outfit would not cause any controversy. I don't believe that she doesn't think what she is going to wear, someone that doesn't want attention chooses a clasicail suit not something so casual ... If she wanted to wear trousers as some of the members of the government at least she should have chosen a formal suit not that.

Letizia is creating some attention for the wrong reasons, whats new. Casareal will be delighted about all the headlines caused by Letizias fashion choice, especially the one asking who is wearing the trousers in the Asturias' household. Obviously not Felipe, who used to be under Mummys thumb and is now under wifeys thumb :p

lula The term "short suit" is used traditionally in the etiquette, but for many years the protocol accept that women wear pants, because it is a clothes that dresses with the same normality that the skirt. If we use literally the names of the etiquette (cocktail dress, long dress) the women could never wear trousers.
There is a difference between wearing trousers and Letizias outfit. Trousers would have looked perfectly fine with a decent top, jacket or coat.

The outfit is ok but not for this event, as usual. For every day events, Letizia wears clothes that other people wear for leasure and for the superformal events she wears clothes that she is supposed to wear for everyday events.

She is the CP and should dress the part, out of respect for her position.

To mention Queen Sofia in that respect is beyond ridiculous. I am no fan of her pyjama collection but I have yet to come across an outfit that is unsuitable for the respective event she is attending.

Seems that "following the priceless example of the Queen" as stated on engagement day hasnt quite worked out for Letizia. You either have class or you dont, it isnt suddenly there because of marriage.

Most of the press articles were talking about the so called protocol of requiring wearing skirts at the national day. I doubt the protocol still exists today. I don't have a problem of Letizia's outfit at the reception, however at the military parade, a jacket or a coat dress would be more appropriate.

The queen knows when she can breach the etiquette and when she can't, she doesn't like hats and she avoids them making the etiquette of formal events in Spain more casual than in other countries but none of her outfits can be compared to this one, moreover it's nearly an insult.:hammer:

Sofia started the tradition of no hat for the royals in Spain, that was really an unfortunate decision, especially for the military events standing under the sun. The sunglasses look more ridiculous than pants at the military events IMO, particularly the sunglasses don't look well with the pseudo class some people like to associate with the royals.

the Spanish RF
http://www.profimedia.cz/fotografie/los-reyes-y-los-pr-ncipes-acuden-al/profimedia-0081844117.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0flSfIocCCbqG/610x.jpg

the British RF
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_a7Djhjy67Ww/R2I_aQeeuYI/AAAAAAAAADE/dk3fvR0-TMU/S692/gabriella-windsor-1a%5B1%5D.jpg

Most of the press articles were talking about the so called protocol of requiring wearing skirts at the national day. I doubt the protocol still exists today. I don't have a problem of Letizia's outfit at the reception, however at the military parade, a jacket or a coat dress would be more appropriate.

La Vanguardia (13/10/2010) by Maria Angeles Alcazar: " en la invitación enviada por los servicios de protocolo de la Casa del Rey constaba que el código de vestuario era vestido para las señoras". The invitation said clearly that women should wear skirts/dresses. The press considers the women that wore trousers as an exception not the rule. In the news they said the same and I've read it in other articles so I doubt that it is an invention of Alcazar.

Sofia started the tradition of no hat for the royals in Spain, that was really an unfortunate decision, especially for the military events standing under the sun. The sunglasses look more ridiculous than pants at the military events IMO, particularly the sunglasses don't look well with the pseudo class some people like to associate with the royals.

the Spanish RF
http://www.profimedia.cz/fotografie/los-reyes-y-los-pr-ncipes-acuden-al/profimedia-0081844117.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0flSfIocCCbqG/610x.jpg

the British RF
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_a7Djhjy67Ww/R2I_aQeeuYI/AAAAAAAAADE/dk3fvR0-TMU/S692/gabriella-windsor-1a%5B1%5D.jpg

I don't know what you're trying to say here :confused: I know that Sofia started the tradition of not wearing hats as it can be observed in my previous post. And I don't think that the problem with Letizia's outfit is that she is wearing trousers. :ermm:

Melibea, if it was printed on the invitation, why did some female government officials wear trousers ? Many press people were invited as well, did any of them show a copy of the invitation ?
My point on 'no hat' was that I thought it was as a big change from 'hat' to 'sunglasses' as 'skirt' to 'trousers'. Tradition/protocol was started or set by human beings, the other would get used to it gradually just as now people are used to not seeing hats on the Spanish royals. Hats are surely showing more pseudo class than sunglasses for the royals at the military parade if the appearance is what matters the most for certain posters (I was not talking about you).
I already said Letizia should have worn a jacket at the military parade (if you read my previous post). However if Letizia had worn a jacket, the same people in the press would still talk about her not wearing a skirt as in the most of the articles today.

Melibea, if it was printed on the invitation, why did some female government officials wear trousers ? Many press people were invited as well, did any of them show a copy of the invitation ?

Because they broke the etiquette as well, no one says that they did not. ;)

My point on 'no hat' was that I thought it was as a big change from 'hat' to 'sunglasses' as 'skirt' to 'trousers'. Tradition/protocol was started or set by human beings, the other would get used to it gradually just as now people are used to not seeing hats on the Spanish royals.

I already said Letizia should have worn a jacket at the military parade (if you read my previous post). However if Letizia had worn a jacket, the same people in the press would still talk about her not wearing a skirt as in the most of the articles today.

I repeat the problem is not the trousers, and again if she had wore a formal suit it would be anecdotic but as she really wore a ridiculous outfit for national day I consider that the critics are deserved.

If she didn't want to attract the attention why did she wore that outfit?? We know that her outfit would be have been talked about so wearing a shawl with trousers was unlogical if she didn't want even more attention. :ermm:

I repeat the problem is not the trousers, and again if she had wore a formal suit it would be anecdotic but as she really wore a ridiculous outfit for national day I consider that the critics are deserved.
:ermm:

My point was that from most of the articles I read today, some journalists in the press would still complain about trousers even though she wore a suit set. But I know what you meant. In my opinion she would have looked great if she had worn a short red/purple jacket (instead of a shirt) in a similar style of the jacket worn by the defense minister who also wore trousers (I think the defense minister was one of the best dressed women there).

I still fail to see how her outfit can be labelled "ridiculous"?!

Here is a close up of her belt from national day and here is a back view of her outfit

Strenchen said:
I still fail to see how her outfit can be labelled "ridiculous"?!

Same here, if it is inappropriate for an event I still don't see how you can call it ridiculous especially since it was a very nice, flattering outfit IMO.

I meant ridiculous for the event she was attending.

While I agree that sunglasses dont look good, I dont see a "tradition" of Sofia wearing no hats. During her royal life, she has worn plenty of hats, the pics are out there, maybe she doesnt like them in general and for that reason avoids them. The SRF women wear hats when they want to, eg Infanta Cristina at Felipe's wedding. Its not very handy when greeting people, that might be a reason. Letizia isnt a hat person IMO, maybe she simply choses not to wear one.

Letizia would be criticised to death if she would wear a hat while non of the other women do. "Trying to upstage the Queen" is the nicest comment I can imagine...

So Crown Princess Letizia will be criticised and ...? I am sure hordes of her fanatics will protect her fashion icon status.

Isn't that bizzare then, that she keeps thinking her outfits are great while they are not? I mean, wouldn't be there someone to tell her she is not doing as great job as she thinks she is? Assuming, of course, her outfits ARE not great. But, what if they are to her as much as to whoever is responsible for the Royal wardrobe? Guess we can speculate a lot, but we won't ever know what is really happening there. Somehow I think her choices must be accepted by the SRF, otherwise we would sure hear something about the trouble in that area.

Or maybe the SRF aren't accepting of what she wears but rather they don't care? That's what's troubling. All speculation and JMHO.

Or maybe the SRF aren't accepting of what she wears but rather they don't care? That's what's troubling. All speculation and JMHO.

But if they don't accept, that means they care. One way or the other. I wish I knew what the SRF really thinks (if at all) about what Letizia's wearing. And I am curious as to what Felipe thinks.

So Crown Princess Letizia will be criticised and ...? I am sure hordes of her fanatics will be protect her fashion icon status.

She will be criticised no matter what. Someone will always say that it is inappropriate, not fitting, the colour or cut is wrong or or or :lol:
Same as with everything related to fashion :D

She will be criticised no matter what. Someone will always say that it is inappropriate, not fitting, the colour or cut is wrong or or or :lol:
Same as with everything related to fashion :D

I guess we can relate that to everyone. I doubt there is one person out there not ever criticised for her / his choices.

She will be criticised no matter what.
And on the other hand we can say, she will be defended no matter what :flowers:.
I dont think the outfit was bad, but inapproriate for the ocassion. And the shawl really looked strange.

Well - fashion is a matter of taste - sometimes we don´t like things when we see it first, an all of a sudden everyone wears it and likes it.
She has a special taste - not so called elegant but special - thats her.
I don´t think Felipe bothers a lot as he is not a fashion freak himself and in a decent suit he is always on the safe side.
He probably likes it when she shows figure as every man does and as long as she is within protocol I guess he does not think about it.

While I agree that sunglasses dont look good, I dont see a "tradition" of Sofia wearing no hats. During her royal life, she has worn plenty of hats, the pics are out there, maybe she doesnt like them in general and for that reason avoids them. The SRF women wear hats when they want to, eg Infanta Cristina at Felipe's wedding. Its not very handy when greeting people, that might be a reason. Letizia isnt a hat person IMO, maybe she simply choses not to wear one.

Sofia mostly wore hats at the international events when other royals wore hats, I'm sure Letizia would have done the same at those events. The wedding of Felipe and Letizia was in the morning, no evening gown or tiara, hat was said to be part of the required attire. Without hat, the wedding would have looked too informal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom