Princess Charlene's Fashion and Style Part 9: July 2013 - October 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What dress?

Isn't it a dress? *squints and peers at monitor* Looks like a dress with a long, slimline, skirt to me. But maybe it is a trouser outfit. Makes no difference to me. Still looks great.

I am always pleased to see women opting for comfort and wearing nicely tailored trouser outfits instead of dresses, in the manner of the wonderful Katharine Hepburn who once said, "Anytime I hear a man say he prefers a woman in a skirt, I say, 'Try one. Try a skirt'." She liked to be comfortable, and I have a feeling Charlene does, too.

Luncheon - Love this outfit. Very simple but very elegant.

Dinner - She looks quite sexy in it, but I'm not sure I like it.

Reception - I agree it was not a good choice for the ocasion. Plus, the trousers don't do her justice

Isn't it a dress? *squints and peers at monitor* Looks like a dress with a long, slimline, skirt to me. But maybe it is a trouser outfit. Makes no difference to me. Still looks great.

I am always pleased to see women opting for comfort and wearing nicely tailored trouser outfits instead of dresses, in the manner of the wonderful Katharine Hepburn who once said, "Anytime I hear a man say he prefers a woman in a skirt, I say, 'Try one. Try a skirt'." She liked to be comfortable, and I have a feeling Charlene does, too.

I think, although I may be wrong, it's the pantsuit she already wore.

The reception outfit is embarassing and an inappropriate choice for the occasion.

Terrible choice ! Acceptable when 'clubbing', but nowhere else !

I agree, she looks fit and pretty but the leggings are too casual for the event. Especially to meet the president of the USA

I agree, she looks fit and pretty but the leggings are too casual for the event. Especially to meet the president of the USA

...inappropriate to meet ANY dignitary.

Drab, horrible. Her makeup is washed out and what's with the constant black? One would think she's in mourning. Ugh. :sad:

The all black outfit doesn't do anything for me. I would loved to have seen a white (or off white) skirt or evening pants with that top. She does look a little casual with the black pants on. And the shoes are a little to "summery" for me.

with the Obama's totally imappropiate IMO the other black outfit was lovely on her ... this girl is lossing it IMO has she anyone to guide her ... I hate to say this but I doubt Grace would have worn such a "disco" number to meet the leader of the free world and, also I think Mrs Obama looks very nice, why could Charlene not have have popped to the shops for a little frock it is not that hard with all the resources she surely has to "get it right" is it am I WRONG HERE??????

Oh Lordy, the outfit with the President and First Lady, the black - what the heck??? I am sorry, but NO. Just no. She needs a stylist, and if she has one she needs to fire said stylist.

Iceflower has just posted a pic of Charlene at a further event with Mrs Ban Ki Moon on the current events thread and it's another disappointing appearance. I don't feel Charlene needs to be a "fashion horse" but in the posted pic she looks like she has made no effort. She appears to be travelling light too - same shoes as she wore at the luncheon earlier this week and not even a wedding ring.

Iceflower has just posted a pic of Charlene at a further event with Mrs Ban Ki Moon on the current events thread and it's another disappointing appearance. I don't feel Charlene needs to be a "fashion horse" but in the posted pic she looks like she has made no effort. She appears to be travelling light too - same shoes as she wore at the luncheon earlier this week and not even a wedding ring.

I'd just note that the lighting in that photo was atrocious and made them all look wanting, wasted and sad.

How much effort should she make? She's neat and clean and Albert seems to be happy with her. What's it really matter if she doesn't dress like royal watchers expect or wear bling? Isn't what she says and does more important than what she wears?

Charlene seems to be marching to the beat of a different drummer, and may well not care that royal watchers don't approve of what she chooses as her outer covering. I find her apparent unwillingness to conform to expectations about superficial matters makes her interesting.

How much effort should she make? She's neat and clean and Albert seems to be happy with her. What's it really matter if she doesn't dress like royal watchers expect or wear bling? Isn't what she says and does more important than what she wears?

Charlene seems to be marching to the beat of a different drummer, and may well not care that royal watchers don't approve of what she chooses as her outer covering. I find her apparent unwillingness to conform to expectations about superficial matters makes her interesting.

I agree! :flowers:

Yes, I know its a fashion thread but come on - style over substance??? no way.

Personally I thought the green dress at the autism event with Mrs Ban Ki Moon was rather nice and certainly appropriate for the event.

I don't care about the bling, but even for non royals there is a level of appropriateness in dressing for the occasion. Of course she has the right to not care what we say, it's not like she would listen to us LOL but this is a fashion thread where we can offer opinions. If we all agreed all the time it would become quite boring.

Maybe, but I don't know if you noticed, this is a FASHION thread, so what we discuss here is not what she says or does but what she wears.

Does it matter what we think? Of course not. But, does it matter what we think about what she says or does? Also, of course not. In both cases we are just having fun, stating our own opinion and nobody but us really cares about them. So let us have our fun in a thread created for same, and discuss what Charlene does or says in a thread appropriate to do so. Same with Albert being or not happy with her, this is not a place to discuss that, there is a thread for that.

I find her not carrying about what she wears, and, sometimes, it just seems like she just couldn't be bother. On many occasions she was dressed inappropriate to such occasion / event. You have different opinion, and that's fine. But why not let others have their?

What I don't understand (and it's not only in Charlene's case) is why if there are negative voices and opinions on what she wears, there are ALWAYS voices saying "but it's not important what she wears, it's important what she says, does, how happy they are"... Of course it is, but, like I already said above, this is not a thread to discuss that, this is a fashion thread, so what is important here is exactly what Charlene wears.

Personally I thought the green dress at the autism event with Mrs Ban Ki Moon was rather nice and certainly appropriate for the event.

I would like to see more of the dress and the event, but, from the one I've seen, I think she looked good for the event. Both ladies with her were dressed in a similar way, so I am assuming it was somewhat casual outing. The dress Charlene wore seemed casual, yet appropriate for the event. IDK, maybe my opinion will change after seeing more pics, but so far this is what I think ;).

Last edited by a moderator:
I respect the fact that she asserts her own style/taste, but there's a time to shine -- and meeting the Obamas was certainly one of those occasions. In fact, knowing that all eyes would be on her during such a high-profile visit, what we have seen during this US trip is mostly a number of 'recycled' things and zero effort. Very, very dull and disappointing. I'm gutted -- just like with her fashion choices at Princess Madeleine's wedding. UGH!

I respect the fact that she asserts her own style/taste, but there's a time to shine -- and meeting the Obamas was certainly one of those occasions. In fact, knowing that all eyes would be on her during such a high-profile visit, what we have seen during this US trip is mostly a number of 'recycled' things and zero effort. Very, very dull and disappointing. I'm gutted -- just like with her fashion choices at Princess Madeleine's wedding. UGH!

I agree - she stuck out like a sore thumb in photos of herself and the President and First Lady. I don't understand her fashion choice here, it is mind boggling.

Maybe, but I don't know if you noticed, this is a FASHION thread, so what we discuss here is not what she says or does but what she wears.

I certainly did notice the word "fashion" in the thread title, but I also noticed the word "style", and the fact that she apparently prefers to dress on the casual side and to not wear bling, is part of her style and therefore just as relevant and open for discussion and comment as what she actually wears.

I certainly did notice the word "fashion" in the thread title, but I also noticed the word "style", and the fact that she apparently prefers to dress on the casual side and to not wear bling, is part of her style and therefore just as relevant and open for discussion and comment as what she actually wears.

Please read the part of my post which you quoted again. I did not refer to the bling you talked about, but to the bolded part, here it is again. This thread has nothing to do with the bold part of your post, and that's what the part of my post you quoted was in reference to. I thought it was clear.

Originally Posted by Roslyn

Please read the part of my post which you quoted again. I did not refer to the bling you talked about, but to the bolded part, here it is again. This thread has nothing to do with the bold part of your post, and that's what the part of my post you quoted was in reference to. I thought it was clear.

Originally Posted by Roslyn

As requested I've just re-read the part of your earlier post I quoted and it makes no mention of the part of my earlier post which you have bolded. It does not mention it because I did not wish to say anything further about the issues raised by the bolded portion, which was not the main point of that post and not the concluding sentence, but wanted to comment on the didactic sentiment - emphasised by your choice to use capital letters for the word "fashion" - contained in your opening and closing sentences.

The general tenor of this thread, at least recently, seems to be that Charlene makes little effort with her clothing, and Elly C had expressly stated that in the photo with Mrs Ban Ki Moon, Charlene looked like she had made no effort. My post opened with a question directed to that sentiment, which I - apparently erroneously - thought would have been obvious.

I have not chosen to discuss what Charlene says or does other that to make the point I did make by alluding to the issue of style over substance (which cepe picked up on) and I have not suggested that this is the thread to do it, for it is most definitely not.

I have not suggested that fashion not be discussed here, nor would I since this is the very venue where it should be discussed, but by the same token it is also reasonable to discuss the lady's general fashion style, in the sense that it includes, albeit (perhaps) tangentially, her apparent attitude to clothing and the choices she makes in that regard.

Last edited:
Maybe she is down playing the wealth of Monaco. Do we know the wealth level of the other people present?

As requested I've just re-read the part of your earlier post I quoted and it makes no mention of the part of my earlier post which you have bolded. It does not mention it because I did not wish to say anything further about the issues raised by the bolded portion, which was not the main point of that post and not the concluding sentence, but wanted to comment on the didactic sentiment - emphasised by your choice to use capital letters for the word "fashion" - contained in your opening and closing sentences.

The general tenor of this thread, at least recently, seems to be that Charlene makes little effort with her clothing, and Elly C had expressly stated that in the photo with Mrs Ban Ki Moon, Charlene looked like she had made no effort. My post opened with a question directed to that sentiment, which I - apparently erroneously - thought would have been obvious.

I have not chosen to discuss what Charlene says or does other that to make the point I did make by alluding to the issue of style over substance (which cepe picked up on) and I have not suggested that this is the thread to do it, for it is most definitely not.

I have not suggested that fashion not be discussed here, nor would I since this is the very venue where it should be discussed, but by the same token it is also reasonable to discuss the lady's general fashion style, in the sense that it includes, albeit (perhaps) tangentially, her apparent attitude to clothing and the choices she makes in that regard.

Let me make it clearer then..

you said: Isn't what she says and does more important than what she wears?

and my response was: Maybe, but I don't know if you noticed, this is a FASHION thread, so what we discuss here is not what she says or does but what she wears.

Please note my response mentions exactly what you said, that's why fashion was capitalized. What I was saying was no, it's not more important what she says or does in this thread, as this is fashion thread and what we pay attention here is what she wears, not what she says or does. I cannot make it more clear.

Also, please note I used the word fashion capitalized one time only, in one sentence, do not know where you see it in my last sentence. There is a capitalized word there, but it's not fashion.

My general opinion on Charlene's fashion is that she puts little to no effort and does not care about what she wears. Rarely she looks good / appropriate to an occasion / event. Yes, she surprises me sometimes, but it's so rare.
I can only discuss what I see, I do not know her attitude towards clothes / bling, I do not know why her choices are the way they are, and, honestly, I do not care. I look at what she wears, state what I think about it and move on.

Here's the above mentioned pic of the autism event I've posted at Charlene's current events thread yesterday:

** Full view **

Perhaps I should explain why I find this appearance disappointing. I actually think the choice of dress is an appropriate one but Charlene's hair, complete absence of jewellery ( sorry to mention this again), lack of any accessories, choice of shoes- to me it seems she's just thrown on something quickly. I will always praise Charlene when I think she looks good, but when she turns out like this, it's kind of irritating knowing with just a bit more effort... And yes, I realise it's how she behaves/ what happens at the engagement that's important, but on the Fashion Thread, we worry about other trivial things :)

All the outfits worn lately were nice with one exception:the black outfit worn when meeting the Obama's.The leggings or whatever it's called is horrible on her or any other woman (royal or not) except for a gym.
The top part of the outfit was nice though.
As for her no-jewels policy,I must say,I do understand her.I have myself some small pieces of nice jewelry (pearls,emeralds,saphir on yellow or white gold) but I rarely wear them.On a daily basis,I only favour a simple gold chain with a pearl pendant.

What the heck is she wearing?? It looks like she took a couple of khaki dishtowels and pinned them together.
She seems to forget she's a first lady and a princess. It's almost like she deliberately goes out of her way to look terrible. :ermm:

I believe her choice of outfits reveal some lack of interest. It's yet debatable whether she is not keen on participating in the event itself or she just plain and simple finds it tiresome to go out in public. To me, her often wardrobe misses come across as "not interested".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom