Princess Charlene's Fashion and Style Part 9: July 2013 - October 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Princess Charlene at the annual picnic at the Parc Princesse Antoinette in Monaco today, September 13, wearing the traditional Monégasque costume for the first time ever (in a slightly different form) and looking very lovely in it:

** Full view ** Full view 2 ** Upper part **

I've looked at other pics, but I can't find one with a neckline and shoulders as low as this version. It looks too revealing.

I've looked at other pics, but I can't find one with a neckline and shoulders as low as this version. It looks too revealing.

What does it reveal? Her lovely neck and shoulders?

Yep. That's all it that's revealed. There's no hint of cleavage. I think it's a bit of an optical illusion; because she has such broad shoulders there is a lot of skin exposed and it seems she's revealing more than she really is.

I think she looks lovely in that outfit, and I like the way she's wearing her hair, too. She and Albert look very happy together.

My sentiments exactly. She looks LOVELY, and I'm really loving that she put her own spin on the traditional costume. Why some people always have to be so critical and look for something negative is beyond me...

Oh yes, very shocking. In fact I was so shocked I ran to make sure the legs on the piano and other pieces of furniture were covered up and all the doilies in place on the arms and backs of chairs.:bang::bang:

Charlene gave a nice spin to a traditional costume and I like the soft waves of her hairstyle. She looked lovely.

Last edited:
She looked lovely in the outfit and it was a very nice change. I also quite liked her hair, it looks so much better than it pulled back tightly.

she wore the national monégasque dress very well, and it was very appréciat by the people of Monaco said the newspaper of Monaco matin , this morning.and there are many 'I like' (more then usually) on the official page of Monaco she gave a new touch of glamour to this traditional fest.

how can you say that the costume must be worn like this way or not. You know nothing about the uses of the monaco and the south of france apart some photos of princess grace ?
There are many versions of this traditional costume . The most important paers of the costume are the dress rose and night stries at the low part, the black bodice and the slleeves the other parts are accessory. You can wear it with a crossed shawl ot with a bodice in one part or in two parts. one with a low decolletté or one in a part. There are also different versions for the men.

No matter, I think that here some people are not please to watch that charlene wore the traditional costume and they critic without knowing nothing. it it were Caroline and Tatiana, some here would have writte that they are wonderfull but it is Charlene than there will be always critics.

LOL - no one noticed that she wore earrings! Yay - accessories.

I think she looks cool. Remember, please that she did a take on traditional dress for her wedding maids. Tradition is one thing - frozen in cement is another altogether.

I really like her in this Outfit , it suits her well , she looks very Nice . Thump up !

I agree. If you wear a traditional/national costume, it should be worn as it is and not make odd versions of it.

I don't like this look on her, and I find it odd, as well. Why wear traditional attire at all if you are going to change it to make it non-traditional? Besides that, her changes didn't make the dress any better-it's unflattering, ill-fitting, and just strange. Sigh.

Princess Charlene at the annual picnic at the Parc Princesse Antoinette in Monaco today, September 13, wearing the traditional Monégasque costume for the first time ever (in a slightly different form) and looking very lovely in it:

** Full view ** Full view 2 ** Upper part **

Is this the traditional Monegasque attire???

Yep. That's all it that's revealed. There's no hint of cleavage. I think it's a bit of an optical illusion; because she has such broad shoulders there is a lot of skin exposed and it seems she's revealing more than she really is.

You bring up a very good point. There's a lot of skin.

Also, for those out there ready to flambé me (what with the :bang:s and all that), I did not mention cleavage or vulgarity. It did not look, to me, from my cursory Internet search, as the traditional way the Monegasque dress is worn.

LOL - no one noticed that she wore earrings! Yay - accessories.

I think she looks cool. Remember, please that she did a take on traditional dress for her wedding maids. Tradition is one thing - frozen in cement is another altogether.

I believe it was Caroline who worked on the redesign of the national costume for the little bridesmaids.
I do agree with you though. I don't think there is any rule that says "traditional" must stay frozen in time and cannot be varied in anyway. For some people it seems that if anyone should vary from the way Grace did things then they are in the wrong, even though Grace herself made many changes in the way things had previously been done in Monaco.

Charlene is criticized if she do things like Grace and criticized if she do it differently :lol:
I like the modern touch of her dress.I highly doubt that it's Charlene who decided to change the national costume.I think there is "une couturière" in Monaco or Nice who decided to design it that way and Charlene liked it.
I agree with those who say that traditions don't have to be frozen.
Unfortunatly westen national costumes remain so unchanged that new generation don't care for it.Those costume are displayed only for the folklore or in museums
From what I see here in France,some national costumes are still worn by the younger generations mainly in family events(eg weddins) or even outside because they were modernised.That's what I see in african,indian,north african communities.
The younger generation no longer want to wear their grandmother's dress but a modern dress with some details from the traditional one.
Some royal houses are doing well in wearing modernised versions of their national costumes:Jordan,Morocco,Buthan
I am not jordanian or moroccan or buthanese or Monesgasque,but I am more likely to wear a modernised traditional dress of these countries than an old fashioned traditional one

I think she looks so lovely in the traditional dress.

I like the dress a lot, it's a modern take on the traditional dresses and it suits her really really well! Such a lovely looking couple as well, she really seems to have found her spot in Monaco :)

I agree that it's a nice twist to the traditional Monegasque dress.
I think it's a good idea tostart a new tradition and come up with another twist every year.

I think Charlene looked so pretty in National dress even if she did bare her shoulders....it was just perfect for her, imo.

The fact that she also appeared relaxed and happy added to the appeal of it.

Charlene is criticized if she do things like Grace and criticized if she do it differently :lol:
I like the modern touch of her dress.I highly doubt that it's Charlene who decided to change the national costume.I think there is "une couturière" in Monaco or Nice who decided to design it that way and Charlene liked it.
I agree with those who say that traditions don't have to be frozen.
Unfortunatly westen national costumes remain so unchanged that new generation don't care for it.Those costume are displayed only for the folklore or in museums
From what I see here in France,some national costumes are still worn by the younger generations mainly in family events(eg weddins) or even outside because they were modernised.That's what I see in african,indian,north african communities.
The younger generation no longer want to wear their grandmother's dress but a modern dress with some details from the traditional one.
Some royal houses are doing well in wearing modernised versions of their national costumes:Jordan,Morocco,Buthan
I am not jordanian or moroccan or buthanese or Monesgasque,but I am more likely to wear a modernised traditional dress of these countries than an old fashioned traditional one

If Charlene wore the traditional dress that looked like the one that Princess Grace wore, somehow she would be criticized. The new twist looks good on Charlene and the old style would have looked strange.

Oh yes, part of that new twist is Charlene's trademark bare shoulders!! She loves to bare her shoulders!!

Last edited:
What I found pleasing was the sense that Charlene appeared to have thought carefully about what she was going to wear to this event, and all th epictures indicated that she was thoroughly involved in the occasion.

I thought she looked wonderful and she radiated happiness, as did Albert! It was a pleasure to see. Can you imagine if she had worn puffed sleeves and a black apron?! She would have been crucified.

I don't like the dress, it looks like too much of a costume somehow.

^^^^
Well it sort of is a costume....the National costume. Its not as if Monagasques go around wearing this outfit every day. Rather like how some New Englanders wear Pilgrim costumes for Thanksgiving festivals.

Last edited:
I don't like the dress, it looks like too much of a costume somehow.

It is a costume. Something people wore back when and, now, they do this for a National Day. Like dressing like Martha Washington, it would be a costume, today.

mmm .. costume it is I am afraid and that IS the idea ,national costume reworked.. it's okay I Charlene has a few other fashion areas to smarten up on and so if she wants to make this "statement" who cares ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom