Princess Charlene's Fashion and Style Part 8: March 2013 - July 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt very much that CG and Silvia felt insulted or disrespected or were even mildly distressed that Charlene did not wear a tiara or the sash of an order. I doubt very much they are that petulant and really they should have been concentrating on other things on their daughters wedding day.
I cannot see how her appearance in a nice gown with nice hair distracted at all from the bride and groom. If anyone was so distracted by the appearance of the Princess of Monaco that they coud not pay attention to the bride and groom at this wedding they must have other issues to deal with.

You are right, do you think the hosts or the Princess cared who wore what. Charlene was stunning, far more so than some who wore orders and tiaras. It is her choice. She never tried to take any attraction to herself, away from the bride and groom. It was their day.

I liked this dress on Charlene. This is a style that suits her shape. I also liked the colour with her skin tone. I thought she looked very elegant.

I did think she looked unsure of herself when arriving although I think I would find it daunting to do the blue carpet walk by myself. It must be a lot easier when you are walking with your partner.

Perhaps, she doesn't give a hoot for all the fuss. Perhaps she is her own person and not a shell to be displayed.

If she doesn't give a hoot, she shouldn't have taken the job.

If she is so averse to jewelry that is one thing, but what was so painful about wearing her Order?

As wife to a reigning head of state she went to that wedding representing her husband and the Principality, not as any old private citizen who could dress as she pleased. :ermm:

She didn't "take a job" , she married a man and there was nothing in their wedding vows that said being Princess required anyone to wear a tiara or the sash of an order to go to a wedding. Seriously, people need to get some perspective. She wore a nice gown, had nice hair, looked nice and behaved appropriately.

Last edited:
This whole hubub reminds me of the story about the DeGaulles visiting Rainier and Grace at the palace in Monaco and Grace receiving them without wearing a hat. The DeGaulles were apparently scandalized and it was reported in the French press. Upon hearing about it Grace apparently responded " oh my, I do hope they get over it. A whole country to run and the poor dears are worried about hats".

Much ado about nothing. To me it just comes down to some people want her to wear tiaras, necklaces, earrings, brooches, bracelets and sashes and stars of orders to fit their image of what a princess should look like and when she doesnt they get mad.

Last edited:
She didn't "take a job" , she married a man and there was nothing in their wedding vows that said being Princess required anyone to wear a tiara or the sash of an order to go to a wedding. Seriously, people need to get some perspective. She wore a nice gown, had nice hair, looked nice and behaved appropriately.

I've been trying to work out how I feel about this issue, and I think I'm coming down on your side of the fence. So what if she didn't wear a sash and some bling? Does anyone really care? I, personally, would like to have seen something sparkly, but not ostentatious, around her neck an/or in her ears and/or on her dress, because I think it would have complemented the gown, but she's a no fuss girl who likes clean lines and no bling, so so be it! I don't think she has let down her husband or the Principality.

It's not so much the "bling" I care about, it is her refusal to even use the Order that she was bestowed to use when she represents her husband and her country abroad. The Order of St. Charles is considered an honor.

Queen Fabiola refused to wear Orders, but she did always wear a tiara when called for as befitting her rank as Queen.

Yes, her gown was nice, but a bit boring, and did indeed call for at least simple and elegant jewelry. As to wearing her order, if the dress code did indeed call for that, then she should have put up and shut up. This was an official engagement, not a friend's wedding that got no attention. Everyone else did what was asked, and since it's not her wedding, or celebration, she should have followed the lead. Basically, when in Rome, do as the Romans do. She did marry a man, but with him came the role of being a Princess, which is a job. When one has a job, one has to do things one may not like. If you don't like an aspect of your job to the point of it being intolerable, then perhaps it's time you reconsidered.

This whole hubub reminds me of the story about the DeGaulles visiting Rainier and Grace at the palace in Monaco and Grace receiving them without wearing a hat. The DeGaulles were apparently scandalized and it was reported in the French press. Upon hearing about it Grace apparently responded " oh my, I do hope they get over it. A whole country to run and the poor dears are worried about hats".

That was on their own home turf. Chances are if this had been reversed and Rainier and Grace were visiting the DeGaulles, she would have worn a hat. Heaven knows there are enough photos showing her doing so to show she was not adverse to wearing those. What you choose to do in your own home is one thing. What you choose to do as a guest is another.

With the exception of Queen Maxima (whom I expect would channel Queen Mary if she thought she could carry it off), I don't think many of the other Princesses are that enamored of having to wear all that bling. After the novelty of having all those pretty jewels at your disposal has worn off, it's just another chore to deal with. Those tiaras can be uncomfortable and heavy. Having to have their hair done up in complicated styles. Earrings can weigh heavy on the ears, and necklaces can chafe. None the less they do try to abide by the protocols and wishes of the hosts. They know they are the representatives of their countries and their respective royal families. Regardless of their desires to forgo the royal niceties, they suck it up and pull out all the stops when it's required. Yes Charlene looked elegant, but to put excuses like "She's just not a bling girl" is just that. An excuse. If all the other women had been given the choice, they would have done the same thing, but they did what was requested. If the SRF had not wanted all the bling, they would have arranged things so that it wouldn't be an issue, like the BRF does.

Ugh. There was nothing elegant about Charlene. The dress she wore looked like a sofa cover. She looked uncomfortable from start to finish. (...) Wearing a pretty hair ornament, earrings and the sash of her country would've been appropriate for the occasion. She did nothing. If I was her, I would creep back to Monaco, sack my make up artists, stylists, and whoever else is trying to help me. She's a good 35, but the sand in the hour glass is running.

Just my opinion. :ermm:

Last edited by a moderator:
Charlene looked more like a princess when she attended Victoria's wedding as Albert's girlfriend in 2010 than she did this weekend, she looked exquisite at Victoria's pre-wedding Gala and ceremony and wore some beautiful diamonds in her ears. :ermm:

Charlene's dress was hideous. It would've been nice if she made the effort to at least look like a princess. A simple diamond earring would suffice. She was under-dressed (..)

Beautifully dressed and coiffed. Understated and elegant and chic. Wearing tiaras and orders and dripping in diamonds is an option not a requirement. After all this time I would think people would be used to the idea that she is a not a jewel magpie.
Maybe when she gets older she will feel the need to gild the lily but right now she obviously does not. Good for her. Do it your own way.

Charlene looked very elegant and demure at Madeleine´s wedding! The long dress and her lovely hair & make-up were flawless,but a necklace would have added more glamour to her otherwise perfect ensemble.
I do not mind that she does not wear tiaras, maybe she is afraid of being called a magpie or the prospect of wearing something from Princess Grace who died so tragically? Or maybe she just prefers a simple, modest style - but a little bit of jewelery for very important occasions would suit her well in her position.
The jewels are already made and just need to be taken out of the vault, so she would not create any extra-costs for her husband. Maybe she just needs to grow into her role and get more confident before she starts wearing heirloom pieces or wears the specially designed modern Ocean tiara she got as a wedding present more often :flowers:

Last edited:
She didn't wear a tiara?!?!?! I just don't get it.

I don't either. The occasions for a princess of Monaco to wear a tiara are rare. This wedding was an official event for Sweden and for all of the royal guests.

Usually a princess receives attention for what she chooses to wear. Charlene has for a while made a fashion statement by not wearing jewelry. Today she received attention not only for what gown she chose to wear but also for what she didn't wear. The absence of accessories made her stand out apart from the other princesses. On the other hand, she did not cover herself in millions of costly jewels.

I'm all for 'own style' and modernizing, but another person's wedding is imo not the place to make a statement...
Not only is she not wearing a tiara to a tiara event, she also doesn't wear a sash, which she could have done..

She's trying to be as non-royal as possible, so maybe it still has to do with lack of confidence in her new role...but i don't get why there's no-one in Monaco guiding her in this...
(if it's a sign of over-confidence, than someone should guide her in the rules of these events...)

A couple of posts and comments have been deleted as off-topic - this is a fashion thread, so please stay on topic of this thread! Thanks!

The dress is nice, but it isn't enough festive for this occasion where the other royal and noble ladies glittered with their jewellery.
http://images.mujerdeelite.com/galerias/3195_xxl_9.jpg

At first I wasn't too sure about Charlene's dress, but when I saw more photos, I decided that I liked it. She looks very nice and the colour suits her, and I like her hair. I know she doesn't really wear jewelry so I had a feeling that she wouldn't wear a tiara, but I would've liked to have seen her in one!

I'm so disappointed in her. Her dress was fine, but the occasion called for a tiara, jewelry and her order to be worn. No excuses. I'm gutted. And I'm also blaming her for my binging on junk food. That's how I deal with disappointment.

Okay to sum it, The Palace confirmed that rules of protocol allow Charlene (and anyone) to wear or not to wear a tiara to a white tie event according to her wishes, so Charlene didn't disrespect anyone by not wearing jewelry. That's said it's disappointing for us all, I guess since we wanted to see her in a tiara, however, we have to respect that she does her own thing and that she didn't feel that she has to wear a tiara and massive jewelry to look like a royal because she is a royal.

(...)

I thought Charlene looked lovely yesterday but she could have at least worn a Monaco royal order as she was there to represent the Principality .It may have enhanced her over all look yesterday.

Does Charlene wear jewelry when she travels abroad with Albert?

Of course she is entitled to wear what she wants. Most of us wanted to see her in a tiara. I was really hoping to see her in the ocean tiara/necklace . And some did wrote disappointed.
But again I don't see a reason why she didn't wear an order because that doesn't have much to do with you liking or disliking jewels and tiaras. And that's why I think she was advised poorly.

Depends on the occasion, she sometimes wears earrings and/or bracelets sometimes they're big and beautiful, she used to wear more jewelry when they were engaged, though.

I don't think there is a certain answer for that. Because there has been only a few occasions abroad and none of them were high profile ones .

Okay to sum it, The Palace confirmed that rules of protocol allow Charlene (and anyone) to wear or not to wear a tiara to a white tie event according to her wishes, so Charlene didn't disrespect anyone by not wearing jewelry. That's said it's disappointing for us all, I guess since we wanted to see her in a tiara, however, we have to respect that she does her own thing and that she didn't feel that she has to wear a tiara and massive jewelry to look like a royal because she is a royal.

(...)

Was this confirmed on the palace website?

Chris O'Neil's sister Natascha is married to Graf Enst von Abensperg und Traun. And his other sister Tatjana is married to Henry d' Abo, the son of Lady Ursula Manners, daughter of the 9th Duke of Rutland. So it seems as if Natascha and Tatjana wore family heirloom tiaras..appropriately dressed for a white tie event.

This white tie event was for the wedding of king's daughter. It was not just any white tie event.

Princess Charlene did participate in a video documenting the creation of her ocean tiara, a marvelous wedding gift. I guess so many Charlene watchers are waiting for her to wear her wedding gift.

By the way, I remember that female royal guests at Albert and Charlene's wedding wore tiaras.

Charlene did wear the ocean tiara/ necklace as a necklace in the rose ball as she promised but I think most of us are still waiting to see how good it is as a tiara

Depends on the occasion, she sometimes wears earrings and/or bracelets sometimes they're big and beautiful, she used to wear more jewelry when they were engaged, though.

Somehow her fashion before the wedding was more playful, daring and colourful.
I like her new minimal fashion attire, but a little bit of jewelry (like a necklace for Madeleine´s wedding outfit) would not be too much and certainly enhance her overall appearance.
It´s not that we are picky or mean, we only have certain expectations of a royal lady which also include wearing nice jewelry for important events! Even Catherine, the Duchess of Cambridge, who is not a fan of big and expensive jewelry wears some more valuable pieces or also pretty fake stones from time to time...

BTW: I believe that the ocean tiara/ necklace from Van Cleefs looks better as a tiara, but it looks beautiful both ways and has a very interesting design which suits Charlene very well :)

There is nothing direspectful from the princess Charlene not wearing a tiara or a Grimaldi decoration .
(...)
We are all desappointed not to see the diadème 'ocean ' on the head of Charlene. Everyone and also the media were waiting for this picture, and this photo would have been also the highlight of the day .Charlene chose the discretion and it is fine.

(...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom