Princess Charlene's Fashion and Style Part 5: June 2012 - July 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Princess Charlene looks casual fir this event but maybe earrings and a necklace would've been better, some earrings at least.

The blue/mint contraption is appropriate for a tropical vacation, but not for an official engagement. Yes, the color is lovely, but that's about it. The LV shawl was good, but only in terms of its' function. The pattern is tacky. If it were just plain blue, it would been better. The gown is gorgeous, no question about that. However, it's a little boring without some sort of jewelry added to the mix.

I think if she had worn a jacket/blazer instead of the wrap it would have been much better (more like her civil wedding outfit). she already has many pieces of jewelry, and Montblanc jewelry that she doesn't own whenever she wants, but it seems that she was choosing the things (That will just do the job) not trying or putting any effort , maybe she didn't have enough time.

IMO, I can't understand how the wife of a reigning sovereign wouldn't know what suitable items and jewels to bring for a state visit. Everything is usually scheduled according to timetables, too, and I can't see how she wouldn't have enough time to prepare for her events, unless there was a hitch somewhere. And there would certainly be enough staff to help Charlene prepare for whatever functions she should have the appropriate clothing for. I think she's just missing the mark on this visit; does she not have assistants to advise her?

Last edited:
I wonder.....maybe she just not like wearing jewels??? small or big? just seems like she is not used to wearing them. Sporty people have a tendancy to not wear any jewerly. maybe this is her case???

Tyger said:
I agree. She looks lovely. She seems more and more relaxed these days, too - her smiles are easy and light up her face.

She looks fine to me. The color is very pretty. Only thing I really dislike is the hair.

iceflower said:

Charlene this evening at a gala dinner in Berlin, wearing the dress again she had worn last year in September:

I still like it, but I think it looked a bit better last time together with a different hairstyle:

** Full view ** Back view ** September 2011 **

She looks very nice and the dress is a nice color. But good gawd she needs to cover those shoulders. They make her look so disproportionate!

Last edited by a moderator:
On both occasions the German first lady looked much more royal than Princess Charlene. What was she thinking? Going to a beach party? Didn't like any of her outfits at all so far.

I like the shape, style and colour of this gown but if ever there was a time to break out the baubles, this was it!

I wonder.....maybe she just not like wearing jewels??? small or big? just seems like she is not used to wearing them. Sporty people have a tendancy to not wear any jewerly. maybe this is her case???
she wears huge earrings , and those Repossi bracelets , that woman just doesn't make sense. today she's jeweled up , tomorrow she's not. today she's blergh , tomorrow she's colorful. she PMSes :S

ok, it seems, I am the only one, but I really liked the petrol/blue outfit, I saw it on TV the first time and I thought, wow, "Summer Queen of Style" next to the President´s wife.
But I agree with the Dinner dress, it is a bit boring (last time she looked great in nude at the Paris Fashion Week), so some impressive earrings, a bit different make-up and more touped hair could have made a difference. This way it looked, as if she just had 10 mins left to change outfit :cool:...
BYe Bine

I liked it too! It looks quite elegant to me, but I guess we must be off in our thinking, Bine221!

I agree on the dinner dress. Beautiful gown, but it's in need of some accessorizing with jewels.

She looks very nice and the dress is a nice color. But good gawd she needs to cover those shoulders. They make her look so disproportionate!

I like that she shows her shoulders. So what if they're not dainty. Shows self confidence and sends a good message to women in general.

On both occasions the German first lady looked much more royal than Princess Charlene. What was she thinking? Going to a beach party? Didn't like any of her outfits at all so far.

In the picture of both of them in the gold dresses I would have like to see Charlene wear the other dress. Much more regal. And not because of the covered shoulders or anything.

I wonder.....maybe she just not like wearing jewels??? small or big? just seems like she is not used to wearing them. Sporty people have a tendancy to not wear any jewerly. Maybe this is her case???

I think you've hit on it. Some people just don't like the feeling of weightiness and confinement - I know I have an element of this. I guess she's just going to be a continuing disappointment for those who like baubles. :sad:

Last edited:
Yes, I think people will have to accept that her style is fairly minimalist and that she is not going to cover herself in jewels for every formal outing. Not every young princess carries the "Queen Mary Jewel gene".

Nice gown though, and more important than jewels and clothes she seems happy and comfortable in her role.

Last edited:
Certainly her diamond studs were large but I would have loved a necklace.
Agree w/Tyger that her white/gold evening gown probably looked wonderful in person, the flashes do wash out pictures.
When I saw CP Mary in person her makeup looked so heavy and bright, in the pics she looked, "normal".
Charlene's gown was beautifully tailored and not too many can wear such a gown so well. i especially like the little train.

She looked lovely. She, obviously, doesn't wear a bunch of jewelry. Not necessary when you are tall and stunning. She doesn't need the "headlights".

One or two pieces of jewels would not have looked amiss, IMO. With those small earrings, she could have worn a necklace. If she wore the dangling earrings prior with this gown, then I can see no necklace. A bracelet on one arm is not piling on the jewels. She's a princess and the consort of a sovereign prince who has jewels in the vault, has them made for her and yet doesn't wear them on the appropriate occasion. She may have a minimalist look, but wearing a statement jewel as an accessory to complete the gown is certainly not overdoing it in my book.

Last edited:
One or two pieces of jewels would not have looked amiss, IMO. With those small earrings, she could have worn a necklace. If she wore the dangling earrings prior with this gown, then I can see no necklace. A bracelet on one arm is not piling on the jewels. She's a princess and the consort of a sovereign prince who has jewels in the vault, has them made for her and yet doesn't wear them on the appropriate occasion. She may have a minimalist look, but wearing a statement jewel as an accessory to complete the gown is certainly not overdoing it in my book.

Well, I guess we can rule out that Charlene married Albert for the jewelry. :p

I can also see your point - but would it be Charlene , then?

To be honest, at this point, were I to see Charlene in jewels - I'd faint. If we ever do see her in jewels - break out the champagne! ;)

Agree w/Tyger that her white/gold evening gown probably looked wonderful in person, the flashes do wash out pictures.

When I saw CP Mary in person her makeup looked so heavy and bright, in the pics she looked, "normal".

Charlene's gown was beautifully tailored and not too many can wear such a gown so well.

Thank you! :flowers: A camera picture is very deceptive when it comes to colors - especially the make-up. I suspect Charlene is very fresh and natural in person. It would be one reason children respond to her as they do - they can be unsettled and disoriented by too much make-up - it becomes like a mask.

Your comment about CP Mary is pertinent. She is grooming herself for the camera. Not a bad thing - just what every person who will be photographed does. So you know if someone's make-up comes across as heavy in a photograph - it was probably pretty vivid in person. Again, not a bad thing, just something to keep in mind when assessing someone's make-up from a picture.

Agree about Charlene's gown - not many women can carry off such an unforgiving form fitting gown.

Last edited:
she will wear a Tiara in the Luxembourg wedding in December (according to the dress code) ;)

she will wear a Tiara in the Luxembourg wedding in December (according to the dress code) ;)
The wedding itself is daywear. There is a gala the prior evening but not sure how many pics we will see. Also the wedding is not in December.

I love the gown am not sure about the no makeup thing going on I love her earrings but are they an evening earring I don't think so something more glam here IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the dress, understated and classy and matches her to a tee. But it does remind me of QEII in a way.

Charlene isn't into jewels people are going to have to get their jollies somewhere else. Maybe the Internet or a book on royal jewels. Both Kate and Charlene dont appear to be jewel happy; we just to have to accept them as they are. Look on the bright side, Charlene has stopped with the overload of black in her wardrobe.

Last edited:
The wedding itself is daywear. There is a gala the prior evening but not sure how many pics we will see. Also the wedding is not in December.
It's a European event not a British one so I am sure we will see all the pics and I am also sure the gala will be a tiara event. Failing that we still have two
:ohmy:Swedish weddings in the future and without being morose new monarchs will ascend to their thrones in years to come which will also give rise to tiara related events. So we will see pc in a tiara many times over her career as princess of Monaco!

Charlene's evening dress was such a disappointment. The fabric reminds me of a set of curtains that my aunt has up in her living room, and the cut just makes her shoulders seem enormous.

She must have a staff of at least 5 or 6 including dressers, stylists, hairdresser, makeup artists etc. etc. I just don't see how, even if this visit was arranged at short notice, she can have been so poorly prepared. For someone who has stated that fashion is the most important part of her new life, it's all just so lacklustre.

Last edited:
Sorry October , but there will be many pictures I suppose, like all the royal weddings, and I was speaking about the gala of course that will take place after the civil wedding.

Charlene on the second day in Germany, July 10, during a museum visit in Stuttgart, wearing a sand-coloured/beige shirt dress. It's not bad, but I would have liked shorter sleeves better:

** Full view ** Upper part ** Close up **

Horrible, horrible!
I can live with beige, but this dress is ugly as hell, saggy style, shiny & wrinkly material, I dont know where to start.

As a Princess of Monaco does she even have à modest budget for clothes?.. poor thing looks like à poor relation that has been pulled out of nowhere to accompany Albert.I don't understand,honestly.Her Armani suits and jewels had been yanked off of her.She dressed much better and presentable in Ireland when she was only the fiancee.

Last edited:
This shirt-dress-thing with its bat sleeves is probably supposed to be an original trenchcoat homage but looks like a costume reject from some weird comic B-movie...
Along with its blergh color of a particularly ugly shade of greige and tacky sandals, it displays an unfortunate cluelessness of occasion and of her function on Charlene's part.
She did indeed pretty well during the official visit to Ireland back then; it's baffling that she is getting it so wrong with her daywear the second day in a row in Germany now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom