Princess Charlene's Fashion and Style Part 4: April 2012 - June 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the outfit but not the scarf. It looks like a shawl masquerading as a scarf. It makes me think she is trying to hide something - like maybe she got something on the top on the way to the event and needed to hide the spot!

Um, what haute couture about Charlene fashion?

Yeah I think Charlene's good fashion days are over. I used to think those who wanted a style icon from Kate would be better putting their hopes on Charlene but Charlene since the start of the year has been a horrible dresser. Maybe she can do better at a ball or gala.

I like her new hair, something modern and different. But such wiiiiide clothes, ts ts ts and the scarf on top of it. (..)
Bye Bine

Last edited by a moderator:
. . . . . - its all about flow and fabric and presenting her simply. With these clothes she overwhelms no one around her - and no one else compares to her. Her new hair cut looks fabulous. Perfection.
My ignorance prompts me to ask. :blush: What do you mean by "haute couture in it's truest sense"?
You answered your own question. :flowers:

Wiki said:
Haute couture refers to the creation of exclusive custom-fitted clothing. It is made to order for a specific customer, and it is usually made from high-quality, expensive fabric and sewn with extreme attention to detail and finished by the most experienced and capable seamstresses, often using time-consuming, hand-executed techniques.

A haute couture garment is made specifically for the wearer’s measurements and body stance.
Therein lies the answer. Charlene's clothes are made to fit her. Her body, her stance, style, preference, etc. She seems to be finally asserting herself, having passed through "Cutting Edge Fashionista" phase that I think she was more or less obligated to embrace. Her sister-in-law is renowned for her fashion sense and elegance (or was), however Charlene is totally different both in style and in beauty. What suits a woman like Caroline, watched and dressed by the best of the best all of her life does not suit Charlene.

Her initial wardrobe never seemed to fit her personality or, more correctly, the sharp lines of "fashion" swamped her completely. She looked like a dressed up Barbie Doll, and not a happy one at that. Any woman knows that if you feel good in what you are wearing you look good and I don't think Charlene ever did.

The first real move we saw was at her wedding. Her civil wedding attire with it's gorgeous colour and flowing palazzo pants hinted at a woman we were unfamiliar with, and from that moment on she has been steadily changing the way she presents herself. Gone is the fussy fashion and in it's place a style that seems to suit her well.

She looks so much more comfortable in her own skin as she creates her own style, an athletic figure dressed in soft, flowing styles and soft and feminine colours, little of which will be found hanging on racks in high end stores.

To me her haircut was merely the last step of her own private emancipation and I have to admit, I envy the gamine look especially when she wears those enormous diamond stud earrings!

You answered your own question. :flowers:

Therein lies the answer. Charlene's clothes are made to fit her. Her body, her stance, style, preference, etc. She seems to be finally asserting herself, having passed through "Cutting Edge Fashionista" phase that I think she was more or less obligated to embrace. Her sister-in-law is renowned for her fashion sense and elegance (or was), however Charlene is totally different both in style and in beauty. What suits a woman like Caroline, watched and dressed by the best of the best all of her life does not suit Charlene.

Her initial wardrobe never seemed to fit her personality or, more correctly, the sharp lines of "fashion" swamped her completely. She looked like a dressed up Barbie Doll, and not a happy one at that. Any woman knows that if you feel good in what you are wearing you look good and I don't think Charlene ever did.

The first real move we saw was at her wedding. Her civil wedding attire with it's gorgeous colour and flowing palazzo pants hinted at a woman we were unfamiliar with, and from that moment on she has been steadily changing the way she presents herself. Gone is the fussy fashion and in it's place a style that seems to suit her well.

She looks so much more comfortable in her own skin as she creates her own style, an athletic figure dressed in soft, flowing styles and soft and feminine colours, little of which will be found hanging on racks in high end stores.

To me her haircut was merely the last step of her own private emancipation and I have to admit, I envy the gamine look especially when she wears those enormous diamond stud earrings!

Good explanation. I have sensed that she has moved to another level. To be frank, it makes all the sense in the world. If I were in most of these women's shoes - on display, photographed endlessly - I'd have my own clothes made for me, too. None of this 'off the rack' stuff or even high-end 'fashion'. ;)

I'm always intrigued to see a new picture of Charlene - to see what will she do this time - for the elegance and newness of what is becoming her signature style.

Last edited:
I am curious how that works though.
Do designers have sketches which they bring to her to choose from? Or are these 'catwalk' clothes that are remade to her figure?
Or does she have her own ideas.

I'm sorry but I see nothing haute couture about Charlene's recent fashion choices, they are definitely not setting any trends and they don't look like they were made for her unless they purpose tried to make her look like a scarecrow with baggy clothes hanging off them. I've seen a few haute couture outfits on runways and Charlene's outfits look nothing like them. To tell the truth when looking at her recent looks the first thing that comes to mind is sloppy.

Did you even bother to read the posts about what constitutes "Haute Couture" as opposed to "Fashion"? :bang:

Last edited:
That coat is truly horrid. Yet again more beige/camel or whatever you want to call it.

If Charlene is being styled, and fitted with custom made haute couture, she needs to sack her entire team. They're not doing her any favours.

I agree about coat EIIR, it´s truly awful, but handbag is nice

The coat is a repeat, last time for some reason I quite liked it, this time, not so much. The whole outfit is a miss for me. Loving the new hairstyle though!

what a horrid coat! it swallows her up! it looks like a horse blanket thrown over her!!! eeww!

I don't know how to discribe this outfit. I have no words for it.
But her new haircut and her face are just lovely!

A horse blanket! Thank you, sesa, I was trying to think what it reminded me of but it just wouldn't come to me. I agree with you.

She also appears to be wearing cream bell bottoms that are simply too long for her. Are they 'in' now?

The jacket is a retread from the Japan trip. I agree, it does not look good unless it is perfectly aligned, as in photo #3.

I actually like it. (..)

That coat needs to go into the deepest recesses of a wardrobe and never, ever come out.

That collar is way too overwhelming for her; her head looks so small in proportion to it in the third picture. I'd donate it to the nearest horse stable as a blanket, as Sesa already commented it resembled.

I actually like the style of the jacket. A smaller collar would have made this outfit sleek avant-garde. Is the jacket by Akris?

Last edited:
When I saw this jacket first time she wore it weeks ago, I just hated it.
It has, however, somehow grown on me; the jacket appears to be quite comfortable, has a unique look I actually like the huge collar.

I like very much the jacket, she changed during the day the jacket with a rain coat I like also very much, I like her outfit she wore during the ceremony.
Charlene is beautiful, all she is wearing fit her very well.

In my opinion there's nothing haute couture about Princess Charlene's fashion choices of late; certainly not the colours, cuts (fit), fabrics or overall 'looks'. I'm a fan of hers and believe in her potential to shine, but she needs to fire her stylists/advisers without further ado. It's perfectly okay to develop a signature style that's uniquely her own, but it has to be a classic style that lives up to every occasion, complements her, and even more so, one that others would want to imitate. There have been some highlights in the past, but this year has certainly been a disappointment (to me) so far. Except perhaps her short haircut, which suits her.

That coat is truly horrid. Yet again more beige/camel or whatever you want to call it.

If Charlene is being styled, and fitted with custom made haute couture, she needs to sack her entire team. They're not doing her any favours.
I completely agree. The jacket is a mess. Don't care who's name is in the label.

It's not a bad looking jacket, she has definitely looked worse. But where is she that she would need to wear such a heavy coat?

(..) Anyway, while I would not wear it - couldn't wear it or want to wear it without a smaller collar - it's 'her'. Again it looks like gorgeous material. Cashmere?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom