Princess Charlene's Fashion and Style Part 10: October 2013 - November 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
At the end of the day it was just a dress, love it or hate it that's all it was. No one died. No gunboats were launched. Diplomatic relations were not severed. Trade sanctions were not imposed. It was just a selection of clothing that was apparently not successful. Big deal?!?! The world kept spinning forward.

Well of course not, no one said any of those things. It's a fashion thread.

I know but the over reaction to a dress has been just as extreme.

I guess it depends on your definition of overreaction. The reaction to the supposed "overreaction" has been just as fierce.

Big deal?! Would Madam Obama or Laureen Harper wear such a dress, ever? Would it have caused diplomatic issues? No. It would still be discussed and people horrified about such poor judgement. Charlene is the wife of a head of state who is an absolute monarch. She designed and demanded the country's children wear uniforms. She actually has some power.

With power comes responsibility. A certain decorum is expected. She knew this long ago. She had been attending official events on Albert's arm for more than 8 years when they married. She dressed wonderfully then.

Instead of sacking the old palace guard and bragging on how stubborn she is, she should quickly rehire the staff that guided her before marriage.

Her advisers have some blame (along with web staff). The majority falls to Charlene. She has said in many interviews that she is in control and she will do it her way. She is the person ultimately responsible. She could have worn anything else. Akris' outfits are rarely appropriate for her station.

Where is her loving spouse to protect her reputation. He certainly knows better. Why does he not guide her?

As a former lurker, this white glove approach that some fans have for Charlene is strange. The same persons have no problem calling her sisters names or saying things about their children their lives and fashions. Yet no one must criticize her. Why go to lengths like comparing her to the host when it is not about them? Is being so improperly dressed a competition? If so, The host looks nun like. Had Charlene wore that no one would have blinked.

Last edited:
Maybe royal fashion choices are influenced by where a princess lives. Spanish and British princesses are representing and promoting their country's fashion industry and designers. They may choose a designer or fashion house that normally they wouldn't consider.

Monaco does not have a fashion industry or Monegasque fashion houses. Do they? I don't think so. My point is that the jet-set-party-crowd have different aspirations, to see and be seen in Monaco wearing the latest in edgy cutting edge attire. This may be an influence upon Charlene. I mean that she is not surrounded by an older generation of royal relatives that still stick to old school protocol and dress like it too.

I do generally like how Princess Charlene's style is evolving. Her tastes are quite different from Princess Caroline's Chanel choices. Too bad about this dress......

Does anyone remember photos from Princess Grace's trip to Ireland? This was such a long time ago but I remember pictures from that trip and Grace so elegant. I know that this was a different era with hats and gloves and fox fur stoles. Grace did away with mandatory hats at the palace but continued to wear them herself. It seems as if the emphasis on royal fashion way back then was on elegance, proper attire and protocol.

Princess Charlene is still finding her way with haute couture. I hope that she evolves towards elegance and not so much edgy cutting edge choices.

Last edited:
Wonder how the other royal ladies in Europe feel about her edgy, risqué choices. Probably the same as everyone here I bet.

Charlene has a duty and responsibility to lead, not follow. The type of jet set person who wears a transparent dress is not the type of person Monaco wants to attract. It is also not the type of person the spouse of a head of state, who wants his country to be taken seriously, should aspire to. Charlene's duty is to promote Monaco, not make it into a peep show.

She has had quite a few years, TEN, to evolve her style. Charlene says she wants to bring fashion to Monaco and appears very interested in attending fashion shows. She has access to the best of all. It is time for maturity in her style.

From my gathering it's inconsiderate of all these instances where you brand attraction as something not inclusive of the basic primal features we cherish, choose, chase and never prefer to forego, I believe. Why admonish and not concentrate on the possibility that the wealth of beauty is for the taking and perceiving, given that what shouldn't be hidden is part of everyone's right to partaking. Please don't tell me you can't find her attracting. Many have said that and it is hard to follow the rationing that appears unwarranted. Maybe I'm thinking how beautiful she has been and how unafraid she and Grace's son are as examples of what I can't get over... dancing in stars.

If it were the first time Charlene had worn something controversial or questionably appropriate, we could regard it as a mistake and move on. The problem is that it is not. The more we see outfits that make us cringe or raise our eyebrows, the more we begin to really question her taste.

On the site of Myroyals the photo in question doesn't show nearly as much as the larger one that appeared on the Palace Facebook. So, once again, poor lighting in combination with the folding of the fabric, makes for a very unfortunate photo that I think upset the Princess just as much as it did many posters here. To me, she doesn't come across as someone who would wear such an outfit in purpose. See e.g. How she covers up when she's in the pool and "allowed" to show her body.

Well,if I was in her situation,representing a country at an official event, I would make sure to wear clothes that are not so risky and edgy-just to be on the safer side. At private events, parties, fashion shows etc. she can be cutting edge, but for a state visit it is better to rely on the classics, a well-tailored suit, skirt/blouse ensemble or an elegant dress is always appropriate and pretty.
People often complain about the criticism, but Charléne really has enough resources and time to chose a nice outfit, being presentable is something that is expected if your work in the public eye. As a private person you can wear whatever you like whenever you want, but a Princess or politician who represents his country is expected to be well-dressed at public functions.
I do feel sorry for Charléne and other royal ladies who are constantly judged and criticised for their looks and the clothes they wear,but it is part of the job,there ain´t no way to avoid it. Most actresses and singers are hiring a stylists for important public appearances like award shows or charity events-maybe Charléne should do so too to get better media feedback and avoiding more fashion fauxpas.

Last edited:
Well,if I was in her situation,representing a country at an official event, I would make sure to wear clothes that are not so risky and edgy-just to be on the safer side. At private events, parties, fashion shows etc. she can be cutting edge, but for a state visit it is better to rely on the classics, a well-tailored suit, skirt/blouse ensemble or an elegant dress is always appropriate and pretty.
People often complain about the criticism, but Charléne really has enough resources and time to chose a nice outfit, being presentable is something that is expected if your work in the public eye. As a private person you can wear whatever you like whenever you want, but a Princess or politician who represents his country is expected to be well-dressed at public functions.
I do feel sorry for Charléne and other royal ladies who are constantly judged and criticised for their looks and the clothes they wear,but it is part of the job,there ain´t no way to avoid it. Most actresses and singers are hiring a stylists for important public appearances like award shows or charity events-maybe Charléne should do so too to get better media feedback and avoiding more fashion fauxpas.

I really, really like Charlene - but I gave up trying to explain why I dislike SOME of her fashion choices here, all I get is grief. Over not liking clothes. Good Lord, some people here (not you) need to realize it is just clothing, not her personality, that I am criticizing.

COUNTESS, I assume you were joking about the Russian woman standing next to Charlene, werent you? It was a bit harsh, dont you think? And a bit offensive. Im not Russian but... I think its o.k. to comment on Charlenes dress harshly since some of us agree that it is hideous but, I dont feel comfortable when comments are made stereotyping ethnicity. Just had to voice my opinion on the matter. Shall we continue...

I found this photo on twitter

Instagram

Charlène wore already this dress for the Aktis party. We see that this dress has a white lining . It was not transparente.

I found this photo on twitter

Instagram

Charlène wore already this dress for the Aktis party. We see that this dress has a white lining . It was not transparente.

Maybe it is not transparent, but it is horrible anyway and inappropriate for an event at an official visit. The dress looks even more ugly at this photo.

Um, still looks like you can see her breasts to me. Even if it does have a lining, the fact that it gives the illusion of being nude is inappropriate. Just my opinion of course but I just dont think a Princess should be wearing something that leaves very little to the imagination. Even if her dresser chose the outfit for her, she could have refused and changed it. I would hope she has a say as to what she wears for goodness sake.

COUNTESS, I assume you were joking about the Russian woman standing next to Charlene, werent you? It was a bit harsh, dont you think? And a bit offensive. Im not Russian but... I think its o.k. to comment on Charlenes dress harshly since some of us agree that it is hideous but, I dont feel comfortable when comments are made stereotyping ethnicity. Just had to voice my opinion on the matter. Shall we continue...

Thanks, Lady Gabrielle. I thought the Russian lady was lovely- gorgeous skin, pretty hair, radiant smile, and she was certainly appropriately attired. Her dress looked quite nice, whether it was a designer frock or not, and I believe she would have a rather va-va-voom shape if she took off her furry jacket.

Harsh for saying that wearing a sheer dress on a state visit was inappropriate? No, it is honesty. A dose of it is due. Charlene has too many people saying yes. Being harsh would be calling her names. She wore the dress and knew beforehand. I see no words that hurt her here.

C4, how could she not know? The dress was worn in front of her. I put the link above. It was sheer then. She wore it straight away. It was sheer in low light, too. She has to take responsibility too. She should and could have said, non! This is not the first time.

She needs new advisors and a new fashion house. Only she can make that happen.

Excuse me, dresses are usually unlined on the runway then they get lined when they're sold, the same applies to Charlene's dress.
I actually happen to have a photo of the same dress available for sale and it's lined, I'll post it later. I just think that the lining wasn't thick enough to prevent the flash lights, but that's very hard for her to determine as she's used to lined dresses. And that for sure is the first time, but maybe you remember another event that you can remind me of?

people would better judge her on her actions, what she has achieved, will achieve rather than on her outfits.

Moreover ,why all these unrelenting attacks against her ?? One should choose their words with care.

Princess Charlene must be on her knees at the present time, however I believe in her and in her will to show the rest of the world she can recover and forge ahead. (...)

Last edited by a moderator:
people would better judge her on her actions, what she has achieved, will achieve rather than on her outfits.

Moreover ,why all these unrelenting attacks against her ?? One should choose their words with care.

Princess Charlene must be on her knees at the present time, however I believe in her and in her will to show the rest of the world she can recover and forge ahead. (...)

Please look at the title of this thread: Charlene's FASHION AND STYLE. We are giving AN OPINION ON A DRESS, NOT HER. Who is attacking her? Many of us have said we adore her, at least I do. Of course we should look at what she achieves, but this thread is a fashion thread for the millionth time. I don't like her dress, people need to get a grip. I believe in her too, but people need to chill out about us not liking an article of clothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please look at the title of this thread: Charlene's FASHION AND STYLE. We are giving AN OPINION ON A DRESS, NOT HER. Who is attacking her? Many of us have said we adore her, at least I do. Of course we should look at what she achieves, but this thread is a fashion thread for the millionth time. I don't like her dress, people need to get a grip. I believe in her too, but people need to chill out about us not liking an article of clothing.

Since it is a thread dedicated to her fashion style it is OF COURSE absolutely normal to give an opinion, to like or criticize her outfits. But is it necessary to use such words ?? no. She is a sensitive person, it does not take a degree in psychology to guess that.

Last edited:
Since it is a thread dedicated to her fashion style it is OF COURSE absolutely normal to give an opinion, to like or criticize her outfits. But is it necessary to use such words ?? no. She is a sensitive person, it does not take a degree in pyschology to guess that.

What words???? I said I did not care for her dress. Those are hardly harsh words. This is utterly ridiculous. The only words I used was that I really like her, but not the dress. Honestly, this is unbelievable

I guess that is the whole point, it was just an article of clothing. Is it considered normal for adults to get themselves so heated up over a simple article of clothing no matter if they love it or loathe it? I mean it is one thing to state that one dislikes a piece of clothing but to keep coming back over and over and restating the same point does seem like overkill.

Last edited:
What words???? I said I did not care for her dress. Those are hardly harsh words. This is utterly ridiculous. The only words I used was that I really like her, but not the dress. Honestly, this is unbelievable

there must be a misunderstanding Andolini because I wasn't referring to yours words. and tbh , I didn't like her dress too, this wasn't a reason to use harsh words.As I said , I never hinted at you :)

I guess that is the whole point, it was just an article of clothing. Is it considered normal for adults to get themselves so heated up over a simple article of clothing no matter if they love it or loathe it? I mean it is one thing to sate that one dislikes a piece of clothing but to keep coming back over and over and restating the same point does seem like overkill.

I don't know if you are referring to me, but maybe those who disliked the dress feel like they are being attacked also. No big deal.

It may be time to move on and to wait for the coming fashion choices Princess Charlene will make. At this point now we're not making any headway, all negative and all postive judgements have been repeated several times - and in the end it's a pure question of taste.

I don't know if you are referring to me, but maybe those who disliked the dress feel like they are being attacked also. No big deal.

In fact, We are in an atmosphere where emotions are running very high

Relax people :heart:. At the end of the day it is just a dress. a flower for everyone :rose2:and a :tea: of tea to warm hearts !

Somebody said me, this dress is perhaps not transpatent but it is ugly. It is your opinion of all here of this tread . No matter the taste of the princess Charlene, Charlene liked it and she sold it and she wore it.
All the sites of fashion are saying always that she is very elegant , There is an ocean between all of you who are conservativ and the sites of the fashion I often send you the links of these sites. She said that she wanted to do of monaco a town of fashion and she suceeded to make a fashionshow with Dior for the first time in Monaco in may. She designed the uniform of the students of Monaco, she half a new designer of Monaco Papa in wearing a dress of his collection at the . She designed the new uniform of the students of the schools of monaco with a new designer she wants also to help to launch. She will be at the head of a jury of a cars elegance races at the end of may. It is a fashion show with Cars . it will take place on the place of the palace and there are already many people who want to come to attend it .It will be a big event. Also I LAUGH when I read your comments, she must do that , she must ....Here on this beard, you don't like her for the beginning and you are always criticing her . She does a lot for the fashion and no matter of your critics; all the sites are saying she is one of the most elegant of the princess.and she does not need of your advices of persons which do not know of the fashion.

I agree with TheRoyalCouturier in that the dress is lined but the lining may not be heavy enough for the photographers flash bulbs. It certainly looks quite sheer to me, since I'm pretty sure that I can see her underwear. There are tons of other people that are photographed that have fallen victim to this situation. All-in-all the cut of the dress is nice on Charlene but the fabric for me is questionable. Maybe not the best pick for a diplomatic type meeting/function.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom