Meghan Markle's Fashion and Style Part 1: November 2017 - May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I loved that wide brimmed fedora hat - nice edge of style there... and I loved the jacket (the architectural shoulders were TDF) - great outfit.

The black one though... didn't like it. I'm glad it wasn't a slim dress underneath it and appreciate the shape she chose because it's definitely her applying her style aesthetic to a very staid look, but I didn't like it.

Except for the beret. LOVE her little berets!!!

Meghan looked nice and appropriate at both events. I like that she tried the big brimmed hat style and really liked the black outfit even with the beret. It will be fun to see her choices for Trooping and Ascot in June.

I loved that wide brimmed fedora hat - nice edge of style there... and I loved the jacket (the architectural shoulders were TDF) - great outfit.

The black one though... didn't like it. I'm glad it wasn't a slim dress underneath it and appreciate the shape she chose because it's definitely her applying her style aesthetic to a very staid look, but I didn't like it.

Except for the beret. LOVE her little berets!!!

I like the jacket too. I do feel like it's more of a retro look, but retro is in right now. I like how the cascading hemline isn't that cascading. I always find these to be a bit meh, but this one is done in a very classy manner. I do like longer coats like this as oppose to those that end at the knees or higher. I just feel like it's more a majestic look if you will. Which is terrible for me because longer coats are actually less common.

As for the second outfit, I thought she looked cute, but it's definitely very British. :lol:

Looking good today, but that first grey coat is on the boxy side. The shoulders are very wide for such a small framed woman.

One of the things I am really liking with Meghan's fashion choices is her use of the longer skirts. I think since her figure is very slim, the longer skirts are very flattering to her, and she has the height and figure to carry them off. I realize I seem to be in the minority with liking today's second, all black outfit, but I really think the combination of rich texture in the fabric, and the longer, narrow skirt are so elegant and striking. I can even live with the beret, especially since I got a better look at the ornamentation.

Also, I have to give a quick mention to the shoes she wore with the grey coat--those are just lovely.

I've been critical of Meghan's fashion in the past but wowza...three cheers for Meghan, today! She seriously nailed it with both looks. Absolutely perfect with the small exception of the black beret and even that looked fine I just don't care much for the beret style. But seriously...credit where it's due...everything she wore today for both engagements was spot on. Perfect fit, perfect style, very very appropriate and fabulous.

These two outfits, the cape outfit, the black Halo dress....methinks Miss Meghan may have found herself a brilliant new stylist and she's doing a terrific job!

Also, I have to give a quick mention to the shoes she wore with the grey coat--those are just lovely.

That's a rewear. It's been identified as Sarah Flint. I did think it was Sarah Flint as soon as I saw it, but didn't think it was the same ones as Brixton, but it could've been the light.

Coat is Smythe Pagoda.

She looks great today! big claps to her stylist, who ever is?

I didn't realize Meghan's second outfit choice is also a nod to New Zealand as I didn't know Emilia Wickstead was born there.

I've been critical of Meghan's fashion in the past but wowza...three cheers for Meghan, today! She seriously nailed it with both looks. Absolutely perfect with the small exception of the black beret and even that looked fine I just don't care much for the beret style. But seriously...credit where it's due...everything she wore today for both engagements was spot on. Perfect fit, perfect style, very very appropriate and fabulous.

These two outfits, the cape outfit, the black Halo dress....methinks Miss Meghan may have found herself a brilliant new stylist and she's doing a terrific job!

I've been wondering about this, too, since there seems to have been a definite tightening up of her game. She's definitely hitting her stride. On the other hand, maybe she's just one of those people who does better with spring and summer dressing than she does with wintery styles, and there's no new stylist involved.

Thumbs up from me for the looks Meghan wore ito both Anzac events. I would have preferred her hair to be more "contained" but I still like the looks.

Didn’t like her first outfit. Reminded me of Carmen Sandiego. I still think her clothes are either too big or not tailored properly.

A few thoughts - Meghan is a beautiful woman, there is no denying that. I loved the wide brim hat for the dawn service. And it paired well with the outfit. I'm not a fan of this coat. The shoulder cut makes for wide shoulders. But with the hat, it looked more fitting. Overall this outfit scored an 8 out of 10 for me. It's most definitely one of her better looks.

The Thanksgiving service outfit, really depends on the angle of the photo I'm viewing. The cut is beautiful from above. Some of the looks, where they cut at her waist, it looks heavy on top. And the length cuts funny at her shins making her look rather shorter than she is. But I do love the dress and the beret hat was fitting with it. Another solid look. She appears to be learning or getting more comfortable with her role and what it means for her fashion. Another 8/10.

Didn’t like her first outfit. Reminded me of Carmen Sandiego. I still think her clothes are either too big or not tailored properly.

I agree. In general, I still have an issue with most of her outfits not being tailored. I'm not crazy about either outfits.

The first outfit (gray coat with fedora). The coat is a tad too big in the shoulders and the button and pockets are a little too much together, but the hat is lovely and her hair is out of her face. Definitely an improvement, but still little things for me.
The second outfit is very lovely, but I'm not sure that the short waisted coat is a winner for Meghan, she is a very petite woman and this outfit, IMO, makes her look bigger than she actually is. I will say that all in all she looks lovely for this service and the length of the skirt is a good one for Meghan.

Loved her first outfit, especially the gorgeous hat! :flowers: Second outfit I guess can be termed 'appropriate' ;). She does like longer skirt lengths and that usually works for her but in this case with this very heavy all-black outfit I think shorter would have lightened up the whole impression. JMO of course.

When Meghan began her public events she was doing the 'tour' and casual was the rule. Now in the last few weeks she's been doing actual royal events and her dress reflects that, I think. I would not say she has 'changed' so much. Suspect we will continue to see her unique (for Britain) casual dress on her walk-abouts.

When Meghan began her public events she was doing the 'tour' and casual was the rule. Now in the last few weeks she's been doing actual royal events and her dress reflects that, I think. I would not say she has 'changed' so much. Suspect we will continue to see her unique (for Britain) casual dress on her walk-abouts.

I agree with this. Don't expect to see coat dresses at any of the less formal engagements.

Good point about the more casual nature of the walkabouts. It will be interesting to see how many of those vs more formal engagements there will be going forward.

(..)

Last edited by a moderator:
Love the black fedora...grey coat just a tad big for me but I’d say we saw two home runs today!

It's super matronly, the length is unflattering, and it looks uncomfortable to wear.

It's super matronly, the length is unflattering, and it looks uncomfortable to wear.

Have to agree with you here. ;) I think this is a time when she got clear advice to be conservative with no flair. Her 'flair' was saved for the morning service which I thought was super nice: hat and coat and hair and all. I think this black outfit is what we can expect when Meghan is playing by those unwritten rules we hear tell about, and she 'goes BRF'. ;)

I couldn't disagree MORE.. those heels are ANYTHING but 'matronly'.. she looks very chic 'all in all'.

Considering it is a bespoke design, it was made for her for a specific purpose. She is getting things sorted as to what is expected at certain types of events.

LaRae

I couldn't disagree MORE.. those heels are ANYTHING but 'matronly'.. she looks very chic 'all in all'.

You know who I thought of? Those chic women of the 30's and 40's. Also (as mentioned earlier) those classy ladies you see in the south when they are dressing up formal.

I love it. I love the material, the design, the outline..the hat is even better than the other beret's she worn. The dragonfly is a perfect touch.

LaRae

Was she back with her trusted Manolos for the second outfit?

I love, love, love the wide-brimmed hat on Meghan but that gray coat is astoundingly bad. The buttons are too large...the double pocket flaps are out of place...the contrast between the trim waist and wide shoulders...it's all just too much. It's fussy and dated; it overwhelms her.

I agree. The first thing I noticed were the shoulders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom