Meghan Markle's Fashion and Style Part 1: November 2017 - May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I loved her look, seemed appropriate for the occasion. I'm ok with the messy bun, it's Meghan's go to look apparently, and it's not going to change.

I'm absolutely certain, that she has been guided to what to wear, and she's dressing like a royal during engagements should dress. I'm thinking there are some misconceptions of royal dress codes, perhaps built based on other royal ladies personal tastes, not on actual protocol or dress code.

I am also sure that Meghan gets advice, not sure if it's the right advice though. I don't mind the hair and like the outfit, but I wouldn't have chosen it on this particular occasion.

That's the thing though. People are with quite an authority saying, that Meghan needs advice to dress suitably for the royal role. IMHO there's a huge difference in saying, that her way to dress isn't suitable for a royal vs that her dress style isn't up to ones personal tastes or choices.

IMHO she is receiving advice on how to dress to the royal role, and her outfits are seen suitable by the advisors, who have knowledge, or she simply would dress differently. Others are saying, that her style is unsuitable for a royal, and she needs advice on this.

I give up: i will just say this:
If you just started a new job in a foreign country that has a fashion dress code and sensibilities you are not really familiar with (as you are not local and thus won’t be familiar with them); If everyone at the office is wearing suits, or jackets or flats- and you show up in a sundress, sans jacket, with heels.... it means you are obviously not understanding the company fashion code and thus breaking it. Maybe it’s not as bad as wearing a bathing suit to work, but company dress codes are there for a reason.

Point is: she needs the help and guidance of a local stylist who understands the local fashion and what is appropriate at any given event (because she continues to miscalculate it) if only because for her, the office location (so to say) changes on a regular basis.

Edit: And can we stop bringing up the foreign royals into this discussion? She does not live in Spain or Sweden, those are not the countries which she represents, thus how the royal women there dress can not factor into the discussion.

ITA with you evolvingdoors, but don't spin your wheels trying to get your point across, it's just frustrating IMO. I get it and a few others do, too, but there are some whose eyes you will never open. BTW, your analogy of company dress code is spot on.

I think that she has 'advisers', and I think that most if not all of them are her usual entourage of young Americans and Canadians who tell her nothing but how marvelous and perfect she is. I do not think she is getting subjective/critical advise, which she could definitely use IMO. I've said it before, she needs to find a Catherine Quinn type, she's done wonders for Kate, maybe she has a colleague she could send Meg's way. She needs to find a hair stylist stat, too.

I don't think we'll see any real changes until after the wedding, which is fine and understandable, but once the honeymoon is over and the real work starts Meghan needs to step it up. She's got it in her to hit it out of the ballpark almost every time (no one is perfect). All JMO

Last edited:
I find these 'there are some who's eyes will never open' comments really unnecessary. We are all here just exchanging our opinions, none of us have any more knowledge than others, and no ones eyes need to be opened.

I do think that Meghan is facing a bit of a learning curve in terms of dressing for the occasion. Every woman who has married into a royal family faces this, and it is especially striking when you take a look back at how CP Mary, or Letizia, or the Countess of Wessex, or even the Duchess of Cambridge started out. All of them had some major what-on-earth-was-she-thinking moments, as well as some events where there was just something slightly off about their choices, and I think that is what we are seeing with Meghan.

Personally, I loved the dress she wore yesterday, but the lack of sleeves was a bit jarring, and when you have to laboriously search for 2(!) members of the choir to find anyone else wearing a sleeveless dress, that tells you that she might have been better served by the addition of a blazer or a dress with sleeves. Is it a huge deal? Not in my opinion, but I also see it as a sign that she might not have really internalized some of the subtleties of dressing for her new job.

I counted about 7 women in sleeveless dresses in the service, some of them on the podium giving a speech or something. Personally I haven't seen any 'what was she thinking' dresses or outfits on Meghan, and I actually hope she keeps her own style and dresses as she has so far.

I will be the first to tell anyone that the world of fashion and designers and all that comes with it is something that is pretty alien to me. I'm not overly interested in it until something really stands out like Princess Beatrice's hat at the Cambridge wedding.

I don't find anything particularly off about anything that Meghan wears at all and I would wager the majority of the public could care less what she's wearing but rather care about what she is doing. Meghan seems to dress in a way that will blend into the crowds and not stand out in a "look at me" fashion. I like this because the last thing the royal family needs is another clothes horse. None of the female working royals are attempting to do this or showcase their fashions but dress in a comfortable, unobtrusive way and put the importance of where they are at the forefront.

Those that expected Meghan to appear in clothes that would be more suitable for a red carpet in Hollywood or on a fashion runway are in for a disappointment. Those that expect her to "conform" to a working royal wardrobe, I feel, will also be disappointed as each royal woman finds her own stride and her own style in what she wears. After the wedding, we most definitely will see a step up in things though as she will have a wardrobe allowance from Charles just as Kate does now.

http://people.com/royals/meghan-mar...-for-it-and-why-she-cant-accept-free-clothes/

Last edited:
I do think that Meghan is facing a bit of a learning curve in terms of dressing for the occasion. Every woman who has married into a royal family faces this, and it is especially striking when you take a look back at how CP Mary, or Letizia, or the Countess of Wessex, or even the Duchess of Cambridge started out. All of them had some major what-on-earth-was-she-thinking moments, as well as some events where there was just something slightly off about their choices, and I think that is what we are seeing with Meghan.

Personally, I loved the dress she wore yesterday, but the lack of sleeves was a bit jarring, and when you have to laboriously search for 2(!) members of the choir to find anyone else wearing a sleeveless dress, that tells you that she might have been better served by the addition of a blazer or a dress with sleeves. Is it a huge deal? Not in my opinion, but I also see it as a sign that she might not have really internalized some of the subtleties of dressing for her new job.
I was the one that brought up the ladies in the choir, and no, it wasn't laborious. One look at a photo was all it took. There are multiple guests also wearing sleeveless or even flat out off the shoulders outfit. I only pointed out the ladies in the choir because they were sitting up front where everyone can see them very clearly, and given their role, I would assume they would understand what is appropriate for the church. Clearly, sleeveless was appropriate.

As for those that said her dressing is inappropriate for royal. Who are we to say that? I would think Her Majesty ultimately determines if it's inappropriate. If it is, she and her advisers will say something. Just because we are used royal ladies dressing a certain way, it doesn't mean that's where the line is drawn by the royals themselves. Just because they've chosen to dress a certain way, doesn't mean Meghan has to. Especially given the fact that there is only one other person in her age group in this regard. So to say it's what's royal appropriate is a far stretch. It might be what you'd prefer a royal to wear, but let's not mix personal preference and thoughts on royal dressing with what's appropriate.

ITA with you evolvingdoors, but don't spin your wheels trying to get your point across, it's just frustrating IMO. I get it and a few others do, too, but there are some whose eyes you will never open. BTW, your analogy of company dress code is spot on.

I think that she has 'advisers', and I think that most if not all of them are her usual entourage of young Americans and Canadians who tell her nothing but how marvelous and perfect she is. I do not think she is getting subjective/critical advise, which she could definitely use IMO. I've said it before, she needs to find a Catherine Quinn type, she's done wonders for Kate, maybe she has a colleague she could send Meg's way. She needs to find a hair stylist stat, too.

I don't think we'll see any real changes until after the wedding, which is fine and understandable, but once the honeymoon is over and the real work starts Meghan needs to step it up. She's got it in her to hit it out of the ballpark almost every time (no one is perfect). All JMO

I think what I'm trying to understand is on what authority are people in this thread saying that she's not dressing correctly for her "new office" so to speak?

Maybe - just maybe - the Monarchy is attempting to modernize a bit? If she was dressing inappropriately I'm sure she has advisors to tell her this?

I mean - she clearly wore stockings when in the presence of the Queen - which indicates that she definitely has advisors.

Since she's wearing a (wide) sleeveless dress, I think that also indicates that her advisors (and the actual arbiters of the "royal uniform" that some here seem to think they alone understand) don't see a problem with it and haven't asked her not to wear it.

We don't know if something is happening behind closed doors where the Monarchy is actively attempting to shed some of its "stuffiness".

Hell - we don't even know if the Monarchy has a thing against sleeveless in a church memorial service?

Maybe they have evolved with the times and "we" need to update our idea of "the royal uniform"?

I wear sleeveless dresses in church. So does half the congregation - and we are casket sharp for our services, lol.

I counted about 7 women in sleeveless dresses in the service, some of them on the podium giving a speech or something. Personally I haven't seen any 'what was she thinking' dresses or outfits on Meghan, and I actually hope she keeps her own style and dresses as she has so far.

I couldn't agree more.

Maybe then we could adjust our idea of "the royal uniform" that has been parroted about for the last 30 years - which has kept royal fashion from keeping up with the times.

And no, I don't mean that royal fashion has to start including see through tops or booty shorts - just that something like this - sleeves - shouldn't cause pearl clutching.

I feel like we already went through this when M.O. went sleeveless - the complaints sounded similar - she'd strayed from some mythical "first lady uniform" and kablam, lol.

Just don't buy into the idea of anything being inappropriate being worn. Harry is uber protective of Meghan..he is going to do whatever he can do to ease her path and have her avoid as much of the negative as he can...there is no way he's going to let her go out of the house in something 'inappropriate' without saying something.

Not to mention the other folks involved.

That said, I think she should get input from a stylist that is familiar with the various subtle things that go on with fashion in that region...if she isn't already. But that isn't because of 'inappropriate' dressing.

There have been outfits I have not cared for or been meh about...but that's just personal opinion of fashion.

LaRae

Are you talking about advisers to fans? Because I'm pretty sure no one at Kensington Palace are her "usual entourage of Americans and Canadians who tell her nothing but how marvelous and perfect she is". And if we are talking about her friends, I don't know how many true friends tell each other they are perfect? They offer constructive criticism when needed. That's how real friendships last and work. We also have to keep in mind that it's not just the advisers at KP that advises her. If they go completely out of line, the Queen and Charles do have advisers too. I'm sure they are not blind or deaf, and have a clear understanding that Meghan has the spotlight right now. If they see things are are way out there, they'll say something.

Are you talking about advisers to fans? Because I'm pretty sure no one at Kensington Palace are her "usual entourage of Americans and Canadians who tell her nothing but how marvelous and perfect she is". And if we are talking about her friends, I don't know how many true friends tell each other they are perfect? They offer constructive criticism when needed. That's how real friendships last and work. We also have to keep in mind that it's not just the advisers at KP that advises her. If they go completely out of line, the Queen and Charles do have advisers too. I'm sure they are not blind or deaf, and have a clear understanding that Meghan has the spotlight right now. If they see things are are way out there, they'll say something.

Meghan has worn hose when in the presence of HMQ. That tells me she has advisors - royal ones. Which means everything else she wears has been approved.

But as usual a tempest in a tea cup over this "royal uniform" that none of us actually know is a real thing.

That said, I think she should get input from a stylist that is familiar with the various subtle things that go on with fashion in that region...if she isn't already. But that isn't because of 'inappropriate' dressing.

There have been outfits I have not cared for or been meh about...but that's just personal opinion of fashion.

LaRae

This is where I come down, too. Although I know that some posters have played the "inappropriate" card, and that's a valid opinion, every royal lady has her fans and her consistent detractors, it just goes with the territory on the fashion threads. I don't think that anything that Meghan has worn has been inappropriate, per se, but there have been some choices that were a bit "off" in one way or another.

I don't think the BRF is in desperate need of Meghan Markle to come in and save them (in a fashion sense); they've been doing just fine without her. I like Meghan, and I like a lot of her fashion choices, but between love-love-loving every single thing she wears/decrying the choices of the other British royal ladies, and trashing her every appearance, I think there's room for some thoughtful commentary on what works, what doesn't and acknowledging that there might be some subtle cultural differences in play. Even in the US, there are huge differences in what would be considered appropriate between different regions, or just subtle differences in style that differentiate between someone from the South, Midwest, Southwest, or West Coast. It's not surprising that the fine points of business or formal dress as a soon-to-be Royal might present some challenges for Meghan, and I don't think it's unfair to point that out.

A blazer and black accessories would have been ideal IMO and just more polished, but I thought Meghan was stunning yesterday. Baroness Lawrence looked thrilled to meet her.

I think Meghan will be a lot like Letizia: traditionalists will hate her fashion, but other folks will love it. If she continues in the Letizia vein (and please God have Meghan be inspired by Letizia's awesome tailoring), I will be one happy royal watching camper.

I don't see how there would be a bevy of North American advisers telling Meghan to wear inappropriate outfits. It's true that the royal ladies have their fans, who may tend to overlook minor missteps. I don't think Meghan has worn anything truly awful yet, although I'm still not quite over her poop emoji hat, and that time she wore those pants that made me pray that she wouldn't step on her own hem.

I like her hair fine, although I wish she'd go natural. The messy hair makes me think her naturally wild, thick, kinky hair is rebelling against its restraints.

Guys come on, even if I haven't cared for a certain outfit she has never been inappropriately dressed. It hasn't happened. You may not like it, you may hate it but she's always been appropriately dressed even if close to the edge.

If the Firm or the Queen had any issue with her clothing they would of intervened. Harry would of intervened ..he knows the score too.

LaRae
I absolutely agree that Ms Markle's principal guide is her prince! Seeing as he worships the ground on which she treads, I would think he is (cough) fairly uncritical of our Meghan but even she must have felt uncomfortable being sleeveless in a very sleeved church:bang: However, she is learning and kudos to her for not letting herself be flustered; she must have a mental notebook and I will be following with interest to see if she makes the same mistake again:cool:

Why must she have felt uncomfortable because she was sleeveless? Several other women were also...if they weren't comfortable they wouldn't of worn sleeveless dresses...they all knew they were going to Church.

LaRae

I absolutely agree that Ms Markle's principal guide is her prince! Seeing as he worships the ground on which she treads, I would think he is (cough) fairly uncritical of our Meghan but even she must have felt uncomfortable being sleeveless in a very sleeved church:bang: However, she is learning and kudos to her for not letting herself be flustered; she must have a mental notebook and I will be following with interest to see if she makes the same mistake again:cool:

Who decided the sleeveless dress was a mistake? There were other women wearing sleeveless dresses, too. I don't get this projecting ones own feelings on Meghan, what made you think she felt uncomfortable? From the videos I saw, she seemed pretty at ease and normal.

Who decided the sleeveless dress was a mistake? There were other women wearing sleeveless dresses, too. I don't get this projecting ones own feelings on Meghan, what made you think she felt uncomfortable? From the videos I saw, she seemed pretty at ease and normal.
I have to agree. I've been sitting here reading all these comments and what strikes me is how one's personal preference (or former "rules" of dress) are continually brought forward. I have to wonder how these people would react to seeing young adult people (in the conservative south of the US of all places) come into church in shorts. I'm of the white glove and hat generation and I see no problem with what Megan wore. In fact I recall seeing women with white gloves, hats AND sleeveless dresses in the summer in the midwest. It may well be that this is more of a regional issue that some people cannot get past.
:flowers:

I grew up in the white gloves/hat generation and saw it change overnight just about. I've even attended a Mass on the beach in swimsuit and a sweatshirt for cover up as it was a sunrise service. I went from the times of the service being performed in Latin to being performed in English. Although I no longer embrace any religion, I have attended services in blue jeans. formal wear, camp wear and just about anything one can imagine.

My personal opinion is that it really doesn't matter what one wears to a church service. What matters is that they do go to church services

The cape dress she wore was beautiful. One of her best looks.

I've not been a fan Meghan's fashion choices in general but credit where it's due, the cape dress was wonderful. Very, very becoming.

The Hugo Boss dress really isn't to my taste but it does look nice on her. The Halo dress, on the other hand, looked stunning.

It does appear that she's finally starting to embrace the idea of fashion that's tailored more for her small frame rather than the oversized pieces we've seen her in so often. While I love, love, love color, the neutrals that she prefers look very nice on her, too, as long as they've been cut, tailored, and shaped for her super-petite frame and don't appear to swamp her. When she goes for those more fitted looks she nails it every time.

Now, if we can just do away with the cross body bags and the messy buns....

I think what I'm trying to understand is on what authority are people in this thread saying that she's not dressing correctly for her "new office" so to speak?

Maybe - just maybe - the Monarchy is attempting to modernize a bit? If she was dressing inappropriately I'm sure she has advisors to tell her this?

I mean - she clearly wore stockings when in the presence of the Queen - which indicates that she definitely has advisors.

Since she's wearing a (wide) sleeveless dress, I think that also indicates that her advisors (and the actual arbiters of the "royal uniform" that some here seem to think they alone understand) don't see a problem with it and haven't asked her not to wear it.

We don't know if something is happening behind closed doors where the Monarchy is actively attempting to shed some of its "stuffiness".

Hell - we don't even know if the Monarchy has a thing against sleeveless in a church memorial service?

Maybe they have evolved with the times and "we" need to update our idea of "the royal uniform"?

I wear sleeveless dresses in church. So does half the congregation - and we are casket sharp for our services, lol.

I would like to know who you think her advisers are. Do you think Meghan has a hotline to HM's private secretary's desk and sends them photos of every outfit for approval? Or maybe HM sends a British Tim Gunn down from her office to stand in judgement as Meghan models everything she's going to wear? I don't.

I have yet to see anyone here say she has to follow some dress code per se, certainly not a 'uniform'. We have pointed out when something looked off. It seemed odd to me (and others) that she wore a sleeveless dress to a church service, find me another lady of the BRF who has done that, not someone from the congregation, choir or guest speakers. Find me another representative of Her Majesty the Queen who has worn a sleeveless dress in church. It's not the norm, therefor I and others have every right to raise an eyebrow and say 'hmm, that's different'!

So much emphasis is being put on the word appropriate, I feel my use of the word needs clarification because some seem not to understand what I mean.

Appropriate: wearing a scarf and mittens in the snow
Inappropriate: wearing sandals in the snow

You can wear sandals in the snow if you want to, no one is going to stop you. There's no uniform for snow. But if you decide to wear something that I find odd (inappropriate in my view) I might give you my opinion, which would be that you might want to reconsider. Saying it's not appropriate isn't a moral judgement, it's just not suitable to the occasion.

Last edited:
I certainly agree that Harry is her principle guide and as such he is a man and will miss the subtle details that inhabit the world of royal fashion ettiquette.

Yes, I believe that Meghan probably did feel a little uncomfortable with no sleeves when it was obvious that that was the predominent "dress code" for a Memorial Service. That is not to say that what she wore was inappropriate per se, but unlike many who have related their personal experiences of super casual clothes in church, Meghan was supporting her fiancée who was, in turn, representing the POW.

I have not seen one "inappropriate" ensemble on her yet and her cape dress was amazing, but for that she wore stockings because HM was present. What she is failing to grasp is that when she marries Harry she will not be attending engagements as an individual, but rather representing HM. That is the job she is signing up for and while I would hate to see her lose her individual style, which I personally admire, there are some things you can't "dismiss" as trivial.

When she is married she will be expected to wear a hat and hose to the Trooping of the Colour, to Royal Ascot, Memorial Services and many other such occasions. She totally aced the Commonwealth Service with her navy and white ensemble which shows she can do what is required without losing her individuality and wearing stockings did not ruin or crush her American
style and spirit.

I believe she needs more time to find her feet, so to speak, although she is a quick study as her wardrobe attests and, had it not cut the mustard with HM you can bet she would have been politely sidelined until the wedding. Instead HM has placed an unprecedented degree of confidence in her ability to do the job. It's going that one step higher that she isn't doing as a rule, yet. The royal women do not dress "the same as" at engagements, but rather in their best.

I have to agree. I've been sitting here reading all these comments and what strikes me is how one's personal preference (or former "rules" of dress) are continually brought forward. I have to wonder how these people would react to seeing young adult people (in the conservative south of the US of all places) come into church in shorts. I'm of the white glove and hat generation and I see no problem with what Megan wore. In fact I recall seeing women with white gloves, hats AND sleeveless dresses in the summer in the midwest. It may well be that this is more of a regional issue that some people cannot get past.
:flowers:

Apples and oranges, dear Princess. Young people in the southern US aren't representing the Queen, Meghan is.

I can't think of a church that I've attended in my adult life that had any kind of a dress code, I've gone in jeans with ragged hems and a pull-over sweater, God doesn't care. Again, that's totally beside the point.

Can you imagine HM showing up to a church service in a sleeveless dress? No? Well, in a way Meghan is acting as the Queen in absentia, she is HM's representative. That doesn't mean that she wears a coat dress and hat everywhere she goes, but it does call for a modicum of conservatism in dress choices IMO. I'd be willing to wager we won't see Meghan in a sleeveless dress in church again, any takers? ?

(..) if there was an issue with her wardrobe it would be brought up to her by people who actually know the Queen and the rules; not people speculating and making up their own rules.
I say we should just be happy her dress fit and didn't fly up in the wind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom