Meghan Markle's Fashion and Style Part 1: November 2017 - May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
another great look,this dress with cap dress from the Queen Birthday are on the top of my favourite of Meghan.

Meghan looks lovely today and I really liked her dress - lovely fabric and appropriate for the event - had it not been, she wouldn't have worn it.

...unless she didn't know better.

A hat would've been...weird and out of place for this event.

I agree with you, I do think the days of wearing hats to church is long gone. But Meghan seems to like them somewhat, so maybe she'll bring them back into style :flowers:

I'm disapointed. Is it so difficult to dress appropriate? Royal ladies usually wear outfits with sleeves and hats at such events. She was there as a royal-to-be, not average american.

Huh? Even the PM and Stephen's mother, the Baroness, didn't wear hats. Sleeves are debatable but a hat would've been a definite no. Recognize the occasion for what it was.

...unless she didn't know better.

I agree with you, I do think the days of wearing hats to church is long gone. But Meghan seems to like them somewhat, so maybe she'll bring them back into style :flowers:

There's no way it's a situation of 'she didn't know better'. She's been being advised and guided for months now. If it wasn't appropriate she wouldn't of worn it.

LaRae

Uh doubt it. Although, I will say that I look forward to what her female costars will wear to the wedding in terms of hats. I know they borrow stuff from the wardrobe department a lot, but I don't think the wardrobe department has any hats. :lol: Maybe their stylist will help them come up with something. I ALWAYS look forward to Suits fashion.

There's no way it's a situation of 'she didn't know better'. She's been being advised and guided for months now. If it wasn't appropriate she wouldn't of worn it.

LaRae

Sometimes misguided and poorly advised then IMO, wearing green and orange in NI for instance. She is not all-knowing and all-seeing, we all have lots to learn ;)

LaRae

Except about fashion and how to dress correctly for royal engagements. The only times I noticed she seems to get it right is during more glam up event (the Easter, the women event and the Queen event)- that’s when her Hollywood background comes in handy and really rescues her, however when it comes to the daily engagement something/s are always off (the green summer dress, however lovely, was too informal once you see what all the other women were wearing). If I were to give Meghan only one advice regarding her fashion choices during day time royal engagements it will be a paraphrased-ish quote from The Wizard of oz: guy? I don’t think we’re in California anymore.

Guys come on, even if I haven't cared for a certain outfit she has never been inappropriately dressed. It hasn't happened. You may not like it, you may hate it but she's always been appropriately dressed even if close to the edge.

If the Firm or the Queen had any issue with her clothing they would of intervened. Harry would of intervened ..he knows the score too.

LaRae

Who knows, maybe HM has already been in touch saying tsk, tsk. ? And Harry is so blinded by love right now (not that there's anything wrong with that!) that Meghan could wear a potato sack and he would think it was gorgeous :D

I actually love the dress and the way it looked on Meghan, it was spot on, don't hate it at all. Just think it could have used sleeves or a jacket! Cheers! :flowers:

I suspect she may have been quite chilly in Church.. out of the Sun, and in a building with a stone floor and thick walls..

But I like the dress a lot...

That's all I could think of, too, especially since I had just been watching the footage outside the Lindo Wing, and virtually everyone was wearing not just long sleeves, but jackets as well.

I do think that a nice blazer would have been a good addition to the dress.

When I write “inappropriate” i don’t mean in the sense of... I don’t someone wearing mini skirt or their bathing suit to work; simply inappropriate for her office, and her office now is royal engagements, and as a professional I expect her to dress appropriate for the office.
A summer dress, when everyone in the office is wearing office wear, or high heels when everyone is in flat: is inappropriate.

That’s why I said it once before: she’s in a new country and a new job (where she’s representing the ceo- that be the queen, and company - that be Britain) where the fashion style is different than that of her previous job. She needs to leave the California style outfits for home use and dress more office appropriate when doing royal engagements.
If she doesn’t have the time, patience or knowledge to do it on her own than she obviously should hire a local stylist who understands the local fashion sensibilities, more than that one who understands what is considered appropriate office wear for a royal engagement.

Hopefully my point of view about this topic is properly explained, again.

I do NOT ever understand how the royal ladies are not cold in a lot of places. They must have some kind of magic heater embedded in them at the engagement announcement...

Harry is her heater. :devil:

Who knows, maybe HM has already been in touch saying tsk, tsk. ? And Harry is so blinded by love right now (not that there's anything wrong with that!) that Meghan could wear a potato sack and he would think it was gorgeous :D

I actually love the dress and the way it looked on Meghan, it was spot on, don't hate it at all. Just think it could have used sleeves or a jacket! Cheers! :flowers:

Or a cardigan, like a proper Englishwoman. :cool:

I like the black and white dress, but the hair – leave the messy bun for informal events, such as the polo.

I thought she looked really well put together . . . except the messy bun could have been a bit less messy.

One thing I absolutely loathed, despised and detested was that nasty little cream clutch. Now admittedly it picked up the beige/cream flecks in her dress or would have had been bigger.

I have come to expect to see Meghan with a handbag or cross bag. It seems to be how she rolls and then she goes and tosses in a twee little clutch . . . I guess I have been brainwashed into the handbag deal just like seeing HM with a handbag. The clutch was like nails on a chalkboard.

When I write “inappropriate” i don’t mean in the sense of... I don’t someone wearing mini skirt or their bathing suit to work; simply inappropriate for her office, and her office now is royal engagements, and as a professional I expect her to dress appropriate for the office.
A summer dress, when everyone in the office is wearing office wear, or high heels when everyone is in flat: is inappropriate.

That’s why I said it once before: she’s in a new country and a new job (where she’s representing the ceo- that be the queen, and company - that be Britain) where the fashion style is different than that of her previous job. She needs to leave the California style outfits for home use and dress more office appropriate when doing royal engagements.
If she doesn’t have the time, patience or knowledge to do it on her own than she obviously should hire a local stylist who understands the local fashion sensibilities, more than that one who understands what is considered appropriate office wear for a royal engagement.

But the problem is you seem to think there is a royal 'uniform'. That all royal women standing in a line should be dressed in identical style for identicle events. That isn't true, thankfully.

Just because she doesn't wear a coat dress like Kate, Sophie, Anne and Camilla, all but one of whom are significantly older then her, doesn't mean she isn't dressed properly.

All royal women have their own style. She doesn't need an 'English stylist' to turn her into a Kate clone. :sad:

Nothing she has worn would be out of place with the likes of Letizia, Chalene, Victoria, or many other royal women.

Meghan looks great. Its not a sundress, despite being sleeveless. It is a great day dress, nicely belted, wonderful flow. :flowers:

I love hats, but she would have looked out of place here.

Meghan Markle's Fashion and Style Part One: November 2017 -

Or a cardigan, like a proper Englishwoman. [emoji41]

What’s English about a cardigan? I wear them all the time in the US. So do a lot of people.

Loved the dress and fit on her. Don’t think the sleeveless was appropriate for her representing the queen and at a memorial for a slain boy.
Btw, Diana had a sleeveless dress at Versace’s funeral but she was divorced and not representing the crown, a private event for her. Also she wore and carried a blazer

Last edited:
But funerals are not memorial services. I do not think a funeral for someone who has recently died cannot be compared to a service that honors someone who died 25 years ago.

Our former First Lady was constantly criticized for going sleeveless, especially when she did so when sitting for an official portrait or carrying out official duties. It seems the culture in England is different when it comes to such things and no offense, Mrs. Obama has more impressive guns than Meghan. (kidding!)

That said, I see this as a non-issue but concede someone should have mentioned it to her, since only a few people went sleeveless at the event.

What’s English about a cardigan? I wear them all the time in the US. So do a lot of people.

That was a tongue-in-cheek reference to an earlier conversation in this thread about wearing cardigans.

Last edited by a moderator:
That was a tongue-in-cheek reference to an earlier conversation in this thread about wearing cardigans.

I thought that might have been the case, but it did seem like other comments were serious about it. And I really don’t see it.

But the problem is you seem to think there is a royal 'uniform'. That all royal women standing in a line should be dressed in identical style for identicle events. That isn't true, thankfully.

Just because she doesn't wear a coat dress like Kate, Sophie, Anne and Camilla, all but one of whom are significantly older then her, doesn't mean she isn't dressed properly.

All royal women have their own style. She doesn't need an 'English stylist' to turn her into a Kate clone. :sad:

Nothing she has worn would be out of place with the likes of Letizia, Chalene, Victoria, or many other royal women.

Meghan looks great. Its not a sundress, despite being sleeveless. It is a great day dress, nicely belted, wonderful flow. :flowers:

Here here! I loved her dress - she looked gorgeous in it. Her makeup was elevated and beautiful and I love her hair. When I wore my hair straight - a loose bun like hers was my go to updo style - because pulling it super tight just made my head look weird, lol. So I get why she's gone for that soft bun - it's softer and softens her face and softens her architectural style.

A tightly pulled back bun might make her architectural style look austere?

I actually have a similar version of her dress - with sleeves. Maybe I might cut the sleeves off, lol. It looked great on her.

Love the whole look today. Meghan's dress game is on point.

As for the sleeveless complaints - meh - going sleeveless just isn't the big deal it used to be in church now.

My only quibble about today is her hair...the messy bun became way to messy, probably due to the windy weather. But the rest of the look was so good I'm not even that concerned about her hair. She's just going to have to figure out how to work her hair in humid/windy conditions.

Austure hair would of been fine for a memorial service.

LaRae

I think what I love the most about the dress is the fit and the balance between having a shape, but flowy. When I first saw the top, I thought it was a tweed, that’s how much structure it has. But then I saw the bottom, it definitely differentiated the dress. It evened out the harshness some structures dresses can have, added a little bit of softness to the color and the top.

A beautiful and massively appropriate dress. 3 hits in a row. She still can't get her hair under control.
I'm shocked people actually refer to this as a sun dress; not having sleeves doesn't make it a sundress.

Last edited:
Love love that dress! Maybe she could have carried a light shawl or something to guard against any drafts, but I don't see any big deal about bare arms in church.

Just a small point - some said Diana went baresleeved at Versace's funeral; she did, but she started out wearing a blazer or jacket, and removed it at some point.

Here here! I loved her dress - she looked gorgeous in it. Her makeup was elevated and beautiful and I love her hair. When I wore my hair straight - a loose bun like hers was my go to updo style - because pulling it super tight just made my head look weird, lol. So I get why she's gone for that soft bun - it's softer and softens her face and softens her architectural style.

A tightly pulled back bun might make her architectural style look austere?

I actually have a similar version of her dress - with sleeves. Maybe I might cut the sleeves off, lol. It looked great on her.

As for the sleeveless complaints - meh - going sleeveless just isn't the big deal it used to be in church now.

My only quibble about today is her hair...the messy bun became way to messy, probably due to the windy weather. But the rest of the look was so good I'm not even that concerned about her hair. She's just going to have to figure out how to work her hair in humid/windy conditions.

Austure hair would of been fine for a memorial service.

LaRae
Well FashionMaven and Pranter I have to say you are both on point. As to this sleeveless/sundress deal, whowa I'm just happy if the kids in board shorts are wearing something on their feet! It's church and the doors are open.

Since I think we can now agree that Meghan's go-to updo is a self-done messy bun, I think we can only send her cases of cans of hairspray to try and keep the liberties the wind takes to a minimum.

I absolutely agree with you

I give up: i will just say this:
If you just started a new job in a foreign country that has a fashion dress code and sensibilities you are not really familiar with (as you are not local and thus won’t be familiar with them); If everyone at the office is wearing suits, or jackets or flats- and you show up in a sundress, sans jacket, with heels.... it means you are obviously not understanding the company fashion code and thus breaking it. Maybe it’s not as bad as wearing a bathing suit to work, but company dress codes are there for a reason.

Point is: she needs the help and guidance of a local stylist who understands the local fashion and what is appropriate at any given event (because she continues to miscalculate it) if only because for her, the office location (so to say) changes on a regular basis.

Edit: And can we stop bringing up the foreign royals into this discussion? She does not live in Spain or Sweden, those are not the countries which she represents, thus how the royal women there dress can not factor into the discussion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom