Meghan Markle's Fashion and Style Part 1: November 2017 - May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the dress, and Meghan looks beautiful. Not a huge fan of the sleeveless look for church, but the dress itself is super flattering and pretty.

I actually love this dress on Meghan. The length is good and the fit is wonderful. The messy bun is a little too messy again for me, but other than that, she looks great.

Dress is pretty and flattering but too casual for a church event IMO, the lack of sleeves is a problem for me, I was always taught that you weren't supposed to show that much skin in church.

(..) I also didn't have an issue with the sleeveless dress for the occasion. I understand the critique but I disagree. I think this may be a generational thing. I see more women wearing sleeveless dresses in church now whereas it was definitely frowned upon 20 years ago. Sleeveless is clearly Meghan's preference so I imagine we'll be having this conversation a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dress is pretty and flattering but too casual for a church event IMO, the lack of sleeves is a problem for me, I was always taught that you weren't supposed to show that much skin in church.

I think church attire has evolved over time. Some are still more formal than others. But I think overall, this memorial wasn't as formal. Obviously, there are people more dressed up than others. Two of the women in the choir were in sleeveless.

I think church attire has evolved over time. Some are still more formal than others. But I think overall, this memorial wasn't as formal. Obviously, there are people more dressed up than others. Two of the women in the choir were in sleeveless.

Perhaps church visists are a lot more casual in Northern Europe?? Plenty of people here go to church wearing jeans, so to me her dress seems nice and formal. Things are different in some other countries in Europe though.

In the US, most Protestant churches would be okay with sleeveless dresses. Even spaghetti straps are acceptable at my husband's Bible church.

Meghan wouldn't want to wear that to a Catholic church, but this type of dress code is the minority in most churches here.

Most of the Catholic Churches have relaxed dress codes now as well.

LaRae

:previous: I wore a sleeveless dress to Easter mass at my Catholic church and was among the most dressed up people there. Church attire has evolved across most religions in America but that may not be the case in the U.K.

But church goers in the US are not representing the Crown, Meghan is.

She's going to be getting supported with lots of money to represent HM to the people of her newly adopted country, many of which are of an older and more conservative generation, so I think this was not a 100% successful look. JMO

If two of the choir members were sleeveless, I'm not sure there's anything else to argue about.

We do sometimes see women go sleeveless at my church, but I generally make my daughter cover her shoulders and my son wear a collared shirt.

I know nothing about church wear, but when I critic Meghan outfits and whether I think they are event/engagement appropriate I tend to actually look at what Harry is wearing- to be precise whether or not he has a tie on, and if he’s in full suit, or just trousers and shirt/+sweater.

This event, the chog and the IG event he had a tie on- which tells me he considered them a more formal event warranting a tie and full suit.
So imo event appropriate? Not sure, because this dress too looks like a summer dress (though all abit slightly fancier looking than the green one at the IG event).

I do think in general this is by far one of her better fitting outfits - meaning it actually looks like it fits her (which is thanks to the belt). The dress is beautiful! No doubt about it- the white splatters on it really elevates it from another boring black dress to a unique piece.
But i think the Black Halo Black dress she’s had at the women event would have been a better choice.
Or she shouldn have put a blazer on. Hack even a half sleeve would have worked.

Actually, this dress has a half sleeve sister (in fact the one she is wearing isn’t even up for sale anywhere-yet I assume- it will probably be out closer to summer)... and I saw two other black and white Hugo Boss options that I feel would have worked better.

I can’t comment on her hair because I refuse to acknowledge it while she continues to ruin her beautiful curls with chemicals. I remain hopeful she’ll set the curls free once the wedding is over and done with.

Edit: Actually I am gonna nitpick on something- her mascara and eyeliner, too much of both of them imo which gave her a somewhat raccoon like look. She has pretty eyelashes no need for that much mascara and liner.

Last edited:
I can’t comment on her hair because I refuse to acknowledge it while she continues to ruin her beautiful curls with chemicals. I remain hopeful she’ll set the curls free once the wedding is over and done with.

Edit: Actually I am gonna nitpick on something- her mascara and eyeliner, too much of both of them imo which gave her a somewhat raccoon like look. She has pretty eyelashes no need for that much mascara and liner.

I'm with you on the hair. My daughter has hair just like Meghan's natural hair, and I keep rooting for Meghan to go natural someday. Maybe after she starts having babies.

This dress isn't a summer dress. It's still considered business wear. But either way, someone online pointed out that Diana wore a sleeveless to a funeral in 90s (I believe Versace) in a church. So I really don't think this one is that informal given the dress code of others there and precedence.

I suspect she may have been quite chilly in Church.. out of the Sun, and in a building with a stone floor and thick walls..

But I like the dress a lot...

I suspect she may have been quite chilly in Church.. out of the Sun, and in a building with a stone floor and thick walls..

I do NOT ever understand how the royal ladies are not cold in a lot of places. They must have some kind of magic heater embedded in them at the engagement announcement.

And Hugo Boss dress are generally drool worthy for me...

Where is FashionMaven?!?!?! :lol:

Firstly, I love this dress and the style suits her perfectly. I like the nude shoes too. I think she judged it pretty well - it was a memorial service, but had she arrived wearing a hat and formal coat all in monochrome I think she would have been overdressed. (incidentally, it was hot in London today ). Although the strands of hair which frame her face provide a softer style, IMO I think they are too thick and produce an unkept look- when nothing could be further from the truth.

But I like the dress a lot...

Me too! It's a pretty dress, although I'm surprised she didn't carry a jacket. I bet it was chilly in church.

Also, her hair is a mess. :ohmy:

Firstly, I love this dress and the style suits her perfectly. I like the nude shoes too. I think she judged it pretty well - it was a memorial service, but had she arrived wearing a hat and formal coat all in monochrome I think she would have been overdressed. (incidentally, it was hot in London today ). Although the strands of hair which frame her face provide a softer style, IMO I think they are too thick and produce an unkept look- when nothing could be further from the truth.

It's not the thickness. The issue is the wind blowing. Thinner strands wouldn't be better. Unfortunately, I don't know if there is a way to have a softer look in the London wind. Maybe there is a magical hairspray out there. I don't expect that she'll do the sleek and all tied up look. That's just not her.

I LOVE this dress, and I am thrilled to see her wear Boss.

Other royal forums were gripping about the dress being sleeveless but I think its fine. I think a blazer would have "finished" the look, but my goodness its the 21st century folks. I do not think Jesus weeps over things like bare arms in church lol

This dress isn't a summer dress. It's still considered business wear. But either way, someone online pointed out that Diana wore a sleeveless to a funeral in 90s (I believe Versace) in a church. So I really don't think this one is that informal given the dress code of others there and precedence.

Right, since I son’t know what Diana dress looked like I can’t compare the two.

As for Meghan dress, the sister dress is categorized (on the house of Fraser website) as a day dress; this one has no sleeves- so yea a sort of summer dress, all abit a slightly nicer looking one - for how much it will probably cost i’d expect it to.

It’a the kind of dress one wears for brunch with girlfriends or laidback family event. Or even wear it to work, but with a blazer on!.

Edit: saw pics of some of the other women attending the memorial, everyone that I saw had a jacket on!

Last edited:
Summer dresses are informal and loose fitting, this isn't it. I wouldn't consider this to be laid back at all. This is something you can wear to a business lunch, but laidback family event? What?

I know someone mentioned the Halo Black dress she wore and thought that would've been more appropriate, but that was more of a cocktail dress. This dress is far more demur than that one and more appropriate for a memorial.

As for Meghan dress, the sister dress is categorized (on the house of Fraser website) as a day dress; this one has no sleeves- so yea a sort of summer dress, all abit a slightly nicer looking one - for how much it will probably cost i’d expect it to.

BTW, if you are talking about this dress, it's a sheath.

https://www.hugoboss.com/us/printed...MIpbW6gInR2gIVEKnICh171QN8EAEYASABEgJAYfD_BwE

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the material...tiny pleat effect and the print combined...just love it.

LaRae

It's interesting seeing that said. Watching the Cambridge live streams people kept commenting that it was chilly. I'm guessing time of day, being between buildings and wind factor into that.

I've been impressed with the last three Meghan looks. I think, perhaps, she's just not a winter clothes person. She's so tiny in frame that the bulky clothes of winter seem to swallow her. Spring and Summer are going to be her seasons!

I'm disapointed. Is it so difficult to dress appropriate? Royal ladies usually wear outfits with sleeves and hats at such events. She was there as a royal-to-be, not average american.

The problem with Meghan’s signature ‘messy bun’ is it looks too messy.

On the steps of the church she kept pushing it out of her face. Maybe going back to her natural curls may help things out.

It was indeed chilly in London today, with a blustery wind...

I'm disapointed. Is it so difficult to dress appropriate? Royal ladies usually wear outfits with sleeves and hats at such events. She was there as a royal-to-be, not average american.

A hat would've been...weird and out of place for this event.

Last edited:
Meghan looks lovely today and I really liked her dress - lovely fabric and appropriate for the event - had it not been, she wouldn't have worn it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom