Meghan Markle's Fashion and Style Part 1: November 2017 - May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you not see the part I said about conflating the role with the clothes? The comments about her being disappointing in the role so far hasn't been limited to this thread. I think it's fine to talk about fashion, as Meghan herself has said in the past, sometimes people notice someone or place because of it. So if you have that platform, you can talk to them about clothes and make up and such, but also talk about issues that you hope to draw attention to using that platform. I just get irritated when the clothes makes up so much of what these women are trying to do. Or somehow, every time they step out needs to be a fashion show or it becomes overly critical.

But anyways, bracing myself for the comments about her wearing black again tonight and how disappointing that is.

You and I are on the same page. I can take the flack Meghan gets for some outfits. What bothers me is the declaration that because she’s not wearing the “royal uniform” that apparently only folks on this board are the arbiters of, then Meghan isn’t doing her job or realizing who she’s representing.

That’s my issue and I’ve said it before. It reminds me of the tan suit debacle - people leapt to declaring that Obama wasn’t taking his job seriously because he strayed from some mysterious hidden super secret and unknown dress code rule that no one had ever heard of before. But like Meghan, Obama strayed from some “accepted presidential uniform” that certain people had declared was “the uniform”. The flack has been similar. Declaring the wearer isn’t taking his/her role seriously or that they don’t get that they represent “their country”.

I both loved and didn’t love Meghan’s outfit yesterday. I actually liked them better together than separately if that makes sense. I thought the dress was very stylish - as was the jacket (loved it) - but thought the neckline on it wasn’t flattering to her bustline. But I still liked the outfit with all pieces.

But I knew she’d get pilloried for wearing the jacket over her shoulders. Maybe it was hot? But that’s not enough for me to declare that she isn’t taking the job seriously - she was one of the more dressed up people there. She was appropriate. Not liking her style doesn’t make declarations (based on not liking her style) that she’s inappropriate true and immutable fact.

Her outfit today was a perfect little Rouland Mouret style dress with an edgy neckline and sleeves. She’s worn similar ones before. It made me happy because it’s a dress that is perfect as a royal BUT it has edge and personality so it retains a fashion forward edge. She avoids looking “mum”-ish. Yay!!

I actually think that some of Meghan’s missteps with fashion (I can only count 2 fairly) have been with her trying so hard to align with British brands indigenous to the areas she’s visiting. Or where the clothing seems slightly off for the season (like the too long thin pants and slightly summery dresses). She should be applauded for that though - especially being so focused on showcasing British brands.

This black dress though is probably vintage Meghan and now that she’s made the rounds she’ll settle more into her main style. The Ireland outfit, where she was more subtle in her homage worked sooo well. The others before that were harder for her I think.

I expect that occasions where she can just dress without having to pay so much homage will be smoother. When she’s got constraints like using local shops, etc, she has to do it by trial and error.

I have to say I visited the thread after the pinstripe outfit with a bowl of popcorn just to enjoy the weeping and gnashing of teeth.

I thought I would never be able to say this...but finally, I can: a very nice outfit from had to toe!

Did you not see the part I said about conflating the role with the clothes? The comments about her being disappointing in the role so far hasn't been limited to this thread. I think it's fine to talk about fashion, as Meghan herself has said in the past, sometimes people notice someone or place because of it. So if you have that platform, you can talk to them about clothes and make up and such, but also talk about issues that you hope to draw attention to using that platform. I just get irritated when the clothes makes up so much of what these women are trying to do. Or somehow, every time they step out needs to be a fashion show or it becomes overly critical.

Yes. :flowers: Generally, I don't always make direct comments on anyone's post at the time they make their post, but in one's overall reading one susses out a trend of thinking (maybe a minor trend but there) that one decides to pull into a post one constructs later on. The thread of thought one incorporates in a post may have that larger context. Just saying.

I also agree regarding every event needing to be a fashion statement. I don't think it should be so.

I've read the comments. I've read them since this relationship came to light. I've got no problem with fashion. In fact, FashionMaven and I have had pretty extensive conversations from a fashion perspective. Even when we disagree on things. As I said, my comment is not limited to only what's been said in here. And there seems to be difficulties in understanding that not every "working" engagement is going to include a red carpet styled outfit. There are going to be outfits where she just wears what she wants, and it's not intended to be a fashion statement. It might be just fine, and not great. Hardly a disappointment.

Great that you an FM have this agreement or similar view..okay and that has nothing to do with what I'm talking about.

If your comments are not about here or include other venues then perhaps you should make that clear? Because when you make these comments how are we to know what you are referring to?

No one I have seen here has said they expect her every look to be red carpet. Yes there are times she wears what she wants and just like other members of the BRF that do it, if it doesn't work folks will comment on it. Why is this a problem to do the same about Meghan?

LaRae

You and I are on the same page. I can take the flack Meghan gets for some outfits. What bothers me is the declaration that because she’s not wearing the “royal uniform” that apparently only folks on this board are the arbiters of, then Meghan isn’t doing her job or realizing who she’s representing.

That’s my issue and I’ve said it before. It reminds me of the tan suit debacle - people leapt to declaring that Obama wasn’t taking his job seriously because he strayed from some mysterious hidden super secret and unknown dress code rule that no one had ever heard of before. But like Meghan, Obama strayed from some “accepted presidential uniform” that certain people had declared was “the uniform”. The flack has been similar. Declaring the wearer isn’t taking his/her role seriously or that they don’t get that they represent “their country”.

I both loved and didn’t love Meghan’s outfit yesterday. I actually liked them better together than separately if that makes sense. I thought the dress was very stylish - as was the jacket (loved it) - but thought the neckline on it wasn’t flattering to her bustline. But I still liked the outfit with all pieces.

But I knew she’d get pilloried for wearing the jacket over her shoulders. Maybe it was hot? But that’s not enough for me to declare that she isn’t taking the job seriously - she was one of the more dressed up people there. She was appropriate. Not liking her style doesn’t make declarations (based on not liking her style) that she’s inappropriate true and immutable fact.

Her outfit today was a perfect little Rouland Mouret style dress with an edgy neckline and sleeves. She’s worn similar ones before. It made me happy because it’s a dress that is perfect as a royal BUT it has edge and personality so it retains a fashion forward edge. She avoids looking “mum”-ish. Yay!!

I actually think that some of Meghan’s missteps with fashion (I can only count 2 fairly) have been with her trying so hard to align with British brands indigenous to the areas she’s visiting. Or where the clothing seems slightly off for the season (like the too long thin pants and slightly summery dresses). She should be applauded for that though - especially being so focused on showcasing British brands.

This black dress though is probably vintage Meghan and now that she’s made the rounds she’ll settle more into her main style. The Ireland outfit, where she was more subtle in her homage worked sooo well. The others before that were harder for her I think.

I expect that occasions where she can just dress without having to pay so much homage will be smoother. When she’s got constraints like using local shops, etc, she has to do it by trial and error.

I have to say I visited the thread after the pinstripe outfit with a bowl of popcorn just to enjoy the weeping and gnashing of teeth.

This is the dress she's wearing: https://rstyle.me/~cz-aqOYl Misidentified early on as a R.M. dress.

LaRae

Last edited by a moderator:
Great that you an FM have this agreement or similar view..okay and that has nothing to do with what I'm talking about.

If your comments are not about here or include other venues then perhaps you should make that clear? Because when you make these comments how are we to know what you are referring to?

No one I have seen here has said they expect her every look to be red carpet. Yes there are times she wears what she wants and just like other members of the BRF that do it, if it doesn't work folks will comment on it. Why is this a problem to do the same about Meghan?

LaRae
In no way was I talking about FM and I have similar views. I'm just saying we can have a discussion about fashion and not go into Meghan needs to do this or that or that she's not taking her role seriously or her outfits are such a disappointment route. At that point, it no longer is an interesting conversation about fashion and is just exhausting to read day after day when all I come into a fashion thread is for discussion on fashion.

And I'm a firm believer in that you don't have to say things explicitly. If something is said over and over again as a negative aspect, or it's stated again and again that she needs a stylist for the less formal events, we know what that means.

As for other members of BRF, I don't know much about what happens in those threads as I don't care enough to wonder into them often. However, I share the same view that the issues these women choose to champion is much more important than their fashion. I will say that I've always wondered how these women's hair always look like they've just came from the hairdresser. I mean, if they have a 8AM engagement, what time do they have to get up to get ready for it? I thought that was kind of exhausting, but never cared enough to ask.

Last edited:

Not sure why that is necessary. It's not really possible to be fully cognizant of every nuance of every thread of thinking brought up on one thread, let alone keep the threads distinguished from each other. People generalize all the time, but more importantly, many (and I am one such) am not addressing myself to individuals but to ideas. :flowers: Of course I sometimes engage in playful banter, and especially if I 'know' someone from pm conversations, but overall it has always seemed to me better not to make these posts personal. You may not agree but it keeps things clear of personal offense and what not. JMO.

No one I have seen here has said they expect her every look to be red carpet.

You may not have seen it but every poster is not obliged to defend their views in that way (I don't think). ;) Maybe I am missing a subtlety but I think it's okay for posters to broadly address issues/impressions they may have garnered from postings here on TRF and from news articles and comments taking place there. Why not?

Yes there are times she wears what she wants and just like other members of the BRF that do it, if it doesn't work folks will comment on it. Why is this a problem to do the same about Meghan? LaRae

The poster must answer for themselves (if they choose to engage you) since you are directing your comments pointedly to them, but when I read this I don't think that is what they are saying. JMO.

In no way was I talking about FM and I have similar views. I'm just saying we can have a discussion about fashion and not go into Meghan needs to do this or that or that she's not taking her role seriously or her outfits are such a disappointment route. At that point, it no longer is an interesting conversation about fashion and is just exhausting to read day after day when all I come into a fashion thread is for discussion on fashion.

And I'm a firm believer in that you don't have to say things explicitly. If something is said over and over again as a negative aspect, or it's stated again and again that she needs a stylist for the less formal events, we know what that means.

I agree. :flowers: Well said.

And there seems to be difficulties in understanding that not every "working" engagement is going to include a red carpet styled outfit. There are going to be outfits where she just wears what she wants, and it's not intended to be a fashion statement. It might be just fine, and not great. Hardly a disappointment.

Except when it is a "working" engagement as a member of the BRF she will be photographed, the photos will be sent around the world and saved for all eternity. She no longer has the luxury of just wearing whatever she wants to a work engagement and possibly being under the radar.

Meghan doesn't need to make a fashion statement everytime, just be appropriate (and no, not styled like her future sister-in-law or aunts, just styled like herself) for the occasion. Sometimes that means the BRF are a little dressier than the attendees.

Last edited:

As for other members of BRF, I don't know much about what happens in those threads as I don't care enough to wonder into them often. However, I share the same view that the issues these women choose to champion is much more important than their fashion. I will say that I've always wondered how these women's hair always look like they've just came from the hairdresser. I mean, if they have a 8AM engagement, what time do they have to get up to get ready for it? I thought that was kind of exhausting, but never cared enough to ask.

When someone says 'she needs a stylist' what do you think they mean? I have no idea what you are getting at here. Is it not possible they just mean she needs a stylist?

LaRae

Except when it is a "working" engagement as a member of the BRF she will be photographed, the photos will be sent around the world and saved for all eternity. She no longer has the luxury of just wearing whatever she wants to a "working" engagement.

And she hasn't looked unacceptable for photographs that will be saved for eternity. So I say she should go for what she wants.

Interesting...feedback on twitter, even her big supporters are probably the most upset I've seen them over yesterday's outfit (Eugenie's getting it too) ...Even podsavethequeen program carefully (mildly) criticized some parts of her outfit.

LaRae

I can totally understand criticisms around the bustline and neckline of the dress. Not my fave part of the outfit, though I really liked it altogether, oddly enough. The sum total added up to more than the individual parts - for me at least. I think I’m alone in that thought though - I thought most folks here liked the individual pieces - just not together?

I’m so contrary lol.

Skipping ahead of the kerfuffle to say that I LOVE Meghan's evening look! That silhouette is perfect for her height and figure. The shoes are perfect too. Love the ankle strap.

When someone says 'she needs a stylist' what do you think they mean? I have no idea what you are getting at here. Is it not possible they just mean she needs a stylist?

LaRae

When people keep saying she needs a stylist for the most informal engagements? I'm assuming they want some perfect outfit for every little engagement. Otherwise, why would you need a stylist?

This is the dress she's wearing: https://rstyle.me/~cz-aqOYl Misidentified early on as a R.M. dress.

LaRae

I know it wasn’t RM - that’s why I said it was a Rouland Mouret STYLE dress. It’s an off brand version of his style.

I was mostly trying to tie the style back to Meghan’s style because she used to work with Roland back during her time on Suits.

I kept wondering why we didn’t see more of his influence in her royal style and was beginning to believe some of the theories people posited: that she was dressed by others and had no input - which I found hard to believe.

I think the reality is that she’s been trying so hard to pay homage and merge that with her style that she’s stumbled once or twice. But now that she’s relaxing into her previous style hits she’s doing better.

That’s the theory I’m gonna go with for now.

Last edited:
Yesterday's outfit was a big boxy miss (in my opinion), but this one I like. A nice, polished overall look! A classy dress with a nice updo, and the shoes match the dress quite nicely. The only thing I'd like to nitpick about is that in some pictures you can see her bra straps, perhaps a tiny bit of tayloring for the sleeve openings would fix it?

When people keep saying she needs a stylist for the most informal meetings? I'm assuming they want some perfect outfit for every little engagement. Otherwise, why would you need a stylist?

Because maybe some folks think (myself included more recently) after seeing her look for several engagements it wouldn't hurt her to get some input. It has nothing to do with being perfect. Rarely do any of them look perfect.

We have differing ideas about the importance of CHOGM or maybe the other events at least some of them. The specific thing they did yesterday may have been more casual (business dress not required) that doesn't mean it wasn't a more formal event. CHOGM is a pretty weighty occasion ..probably the last time the Queen will attend in her lifetime.

She's not representing Meghan. She's representing the BRF.

LaRae

When people keep saying she needs a stylist for the most informal engagements? I'm assuming they want some perfect outfit for every little engagement. Otherwise, why would you need a stylist?

Because they obviously don't think she dresses that great and wish for her to improve. Is that hard to understand? Again, for the 800th time, some people like her style, some don't. Some like some of her outfits. Some don't. No one is wrong or right. Some hope a stylist will improve what they see as shortcomings in dress sense. Some believe she doesn't need help.

You may agree or disagree. But there's a group of people here who loudly proclaim that any dislike of her outfits are unwarranted and must be because of some deeper reason than simply being a matter of opinion on what looks good or what doesn't.

In my opinion, she's hit or miss. Tonight being a hit. She looks great IMHO.

Last edited:
I can totally understand criticisms around the bustline and neckline of the dress. Not my fave part of the outfit, though I really liked it altogether, oddly enough. The sum total added up to more than the individual parts - for me at least. I think I’m alone in that thought though - I thought most folks here liked the individual pieces - just not together?

I’m so contrary lol.

I liked yesterdays dress! Until she took the jacket off! Then while I still liked the dress for me it took a finished 'outfit' or look and kinda messed it up. When I first saw her I was like YES! I don't think she took into account it would not be easy to move around with it on her shoulders....or that's my theory!

LaRae

I know it wasn’t RM - that’s why I said it was a Rouland Mouret STYLE dress. It’s an off brand version of his style.

Was that not clear?

No sorry..I misread the wording!

LaRae

Last edited by a moderator:
No sorry..I misread the wording!

LaRae

No problem! I think we are all on edge today, lol. I edited my post to add more clarity in any case, ;)

I really do love her outfit today though. And her hair is really pretty.

Because they obviously don't think she dresses that great and wish for her to improve. Is that hard to understand? Again, for the 800th time, some people like her style, some don't. Some like some of her outfits. Some don't. No one is wrong or right. Some hope a stylist will improve what they see as shortcomings in dress sense. Some believe she doesn't need help.

You may agree or disagree. But there's a group of people here who loudly proclaim that any dislike of her outfits are unwarranted and must be because of some deeper reason than simply being a matter of opinion on what looks good or doesn't.

And for the 800th time, I have no issues with people have different opinions on fashion, but some of the comments have gone well beyond fair fashion criticism. And it's exhausting for some of us. There are days that I really wanted to talk fashion, but then I come in here and I see some of those comments, and I just decide you know what, it's not worth my time. There is a difference between saying her dress yesterday wasn't the most flattering bust line for her body type or me saying the Sandringham outfit wasn't that good because it just didn't feel like Meghan to every outfit she's worn so far is a disappointment. There is just as loud of a group, if not louder in this thread, that will simply hate on the clothes simply because of the woman wearing it. Especially when I can see a username and predict what they will say 99% of the time.

But obviously, this conversation has gone well above and beyond what my original comment was about, which is we should not conflate the role with the clothes. And no, I'm not accusing you of doing it. It was a general observation of some of the comments I've seen and something I wanted to point out as not right.

Last edited:
a very pretty dress she looks beautiful tonight.
i think she have very intersting and lovely shoes collection

No problem! I think we are all on edge today, lol. I edited my post to add more clarity in any case, ;)

I really do love her outfit today though. And her hair is really pretty.

Me too! I'm just going to ignore the shoe closure since it's so minor. The overall look is great! The hair is probably my favorite way she's done it so far.

LaRAe

As we are once again back to the discussion about the discussion: Please stay on topic of this thread instead of starting the same old arguments over and over again! Thank you!

a very pretty dress she looks beautiful tonight.
i think she have very intersting and lovely shoes collection

I will say that I've been enjoying the strappy shoes even though I wear more pumps myself. She's got the legs that can pull of the below the knee dress with straps that will go above the ankle (it is not a easy look to pull off if one doesn't have very skinny legs).

I’m meh about yesterday outfit. Though to be fair that may have been her only monochrome outfit I liked in broad strokes.
I tried to figure out why I wasn’t sold about the outfit until someone pointed out how Hollywood the draped jacket made the outfit look.
Without it, the dress looked out of place, it actually looked like a mismatched skirt and top.
I loved the neckline! But too many buttons (as someone pointed out), and the flapping straps in the back made that section look like a sailor boy shirt (i’m Not sure if that is the correct term for that specific style).
The skirt part was perfect, except the slit, I think it would have been better if it had been sawn closed.
I can see the skirt part alone with a nice top, or just the top part with a block color skirt or pants.
That outfit needed a proper blazer at all times.
Loved the bag, but it was unneeded- she has pockets and a PA to carry her bag.
The shoes were pretty but I pumps or low heeled kitten would have been better.
Instead of the belt that was on the dress she should have used a thick waist leather belt.
It also needed some hemming work around the bust.

So yea the dress is pretty, very Californian-Hollywood style, but it could have worked for the event with a few changes. A well versed stylist could have helped her really round up the outfit.

Regarding tonight’s outfit: yes to the cut, no to the color. She actually looks like she’s going to a funeral- one of the dangers of wearing all black.
First I have to say black halo is one of my favorite brands!. Their dresses are always amazing, I own one which was purchased for my sister wedding 7 years ago. Many of their items are very office appropriate. The dress she has tonight? That’s the kind of general cut that works for royal engagement (imo).
It’s a shame she went for the black one, when the red or blue one would have looked so much better.
Good choice on the belt.
Yes to the hair being up. I continue to hope she’ll stop straightening it and allow her curls to run free. I’ll be even more happy if we’ll see more white strands - indicating she has stopped coloring her hair.
I think the shoes she has tonight are the same from yesterday? They fit tonight outfit much better.

That LBD is a hit for me.
Love the whole look from head to toe.

If this stylist’s purpose is to polish her clothing selection according to Meghan’s style aesthetic and help her have less misses when she’s trying to pay homage to the localities she visits then cool. Let’s find a stylist.

But if the stylist is to force her into some version of Princess Barbie, then no thanks - I don't think she needs a stylist for that and would prefer one that specializes in Meghan's own aesthetic.

In my opinion, she's hit or miss. Tonight being a hit. She looks great IMHO.

I think she hits a lot more when she’s not trying to pay homage with pieces she likely wouldn’t have picked for herself. When she’s at a “general” event her looks have been on point. IMO.

Last edited:
I’m meh about yesterday outfit. Though to be fair that may have been her only monochrome outfit I liked in broad strokes.
I tried to figure out why I wasn’t sold about the outfit until someone pointed out how Hollywood the draped jacket made the outfit look.
Without it, the dress looked out of place, it actually looked like a mismatched skirt and top.
I loved the neckline! But too many buttons (as someone pointed out), and the flapping straps in the back made that section look like a sailor boy shirt (i’m Not sure if that is the correct term for that specific style).
The skirt part was perfect, except the slit, I think it would have been better if it had been sawn closed.
I can see the skirt part alone with a nice top, or just the top part with a block color skirt or pants.
That outfit needed a proper blazer at all times.
Loved the bag, but it was unneeded- she has pockets and a PA to carry her bag.
The shoes were pretty but I pumps or low heeled kitten would have been better.
Instead of the belt that was on the dress she should have used a thick waist leather belt.
It also needed some hemming work around the bust.

So yea the dress is pretty, very Californian-Hollywood style, but it could have worked for the event with a few changes. A well versed stylist could have helped her really round up the outfit.

Regarding tonight’s outfit: yes to the cut, no to the color. She actually looks like she’s going to a funeral- one of the dangers of wearing all black.
First I have to say black halo is one of my favorite brands!. Their dresses are always amazing, I own one which was purchased for my sister wedding 7 years ago. Many of their items are very office appropriate. The dress she has tonight? That’s the kind of general cut that works for royal engagement (imo).
It’s a shame she went for the black one, when the red or blue one would have looked so much better.
Good choice on the belt.
Yes to the hair being up. I continue to hope she’ll stop straightening it and allow her curls to run free. I’ll be even more happy if we’ll see more white strands - indicating she has stopped coloring her hair.
I think the shoes she has tonight are the same from yesterday? They fit tonight outfit much better.

I agree with many of your observations on yesterday's outfit.

I disagree about today's dress looking funereal. It looks like a cocktail dress to me. She looks very nice.

Last edited:
Loving the updo. Finally! The dress fits her perfectly. I would have wished for a wee pop of color in the accessories but that is just my personal taste. She looks like she feels how good this dress is on her.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom