Meghan Markle's Fashion and Style Part 1: November 2017 - May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn’t too keen on Meghans out fit today, didn’t like the jacket on the shoulders to causal, also the dress wasn’t up to her usually standards ....
But loved her hair and always great to see her smiling faces ��

I don't consider the dress a summer dress but there is something casual and informal about it. I'm just happy it fits and it doesn't look like she is wearing a sack. It's sad when women with such long beautiful hair don't do anything with it, but at least her hair looks like it was combed.

That is not a businessdess as far as Europe goes; that includes London IMHO

If she had worn a sheer blouse undernethe it would have worked.

It's the result of living in Canada for several years. Any sunshine and warmth it's treated as balmy weather, and it's on with the sundresses! :lol:

You are absolutely right, Meghan must have been reading the weather report for Toronto where we have had an icestorm, sleet, snow and rain in the space of one weekend:bang:I would have given up on spring ever happening except even the tulips are pushing up through the snow. Ms Markle's dress was meant as a thumb in the eye of Toronto:whistling:

My guess is that the jacket was slipping around ..but a shame she couldn't anchor it somehow. It does give the 'outfit' a finished look. Still though, the shoes are really the only thing I'm kinda meh about.

LaRae
She can anchor the jacket by putting those things called arms inside those things called sleeves.

Yeah, she's gonna need some help with this isn't she? I have no idea what she's thinking of when she's picking these outfits, they are so incoherent.

I say this as someone who doesn't care much about fashion and even less so about royal fashion, but even I'm noticing she's not made a good start.

Yeah, she's gonna need some help with this isn't she? I have no idea what she's thinking of when she's picking these outfits, they are so incoherent.

I say this as someone who doesn't care much about fashion and even less so about royal fashion, but even I'm noticing she's not made a good start.

Really?? This is the first of her outfits I’m not overly fond of. I’ve liked almost everything and I think she’s made a very good start. I really do hope she keeps going like this.

She can anchor the jacket by putting those things called arms inside those things called sleeves.

?:lol:

I like Meghan a lot. But that comment is hilariously true. No need to "anchor" it any other way than that.

Last edited:
Dress and shoes are great, but that blazer is too boxy in order to be worn draped over the shoulders and not look like a try-hard Insta girl

Individual bits are OKAYish.. but the sum total isn't...

I think it's okay until she takes the blazer off then it changes the look too much...it's not longer an outfit. I think a different shoe would help as well.

LaRae

It kind of reminds me distantly of my primary school pinafore (the Brits will know what I mean by that). It has zero aesthetic appeal for me whatsoever. The shoes are fairly random as is the coat worn in an incredibly boxy fashion.

Would a nice bright colour on an unusually warm and sunny spring day have been too much to ask?

Would a nice bright colour on an unusually warm and sunny spring day have been too much to ask?

This is beating a dead horse at this point. The woman doesn't like a lot of bright colors. That's just who she is. Once in awhile she might, but keep harping on this is getting just as old.

After the wedding she will be given a clothing budget. Remember how long it took Catherine to find her style.

Thank you! Remember how long it took for any of them (other than the Queen, Princess Margaret and both Duchesses of Kent) to find their style!

I am not exactly feeling it either but she isn't even married yet. She is probably pulling clothes from her current wardrobe. Let's give her a year or least to find her groove. And remember...her style might be totally different than anyone else's. I am sure if she oversteps, someone in the family will let her know.

Ahem. I think she will make her own clothing budget. I think she has been doing that for YEARS.

I also think she has already discussed this with Harry, the staff, maybe Kate and also asked to have her suggestions passed up the line to HM and courtiers. For comment. Not approval, but comment. And I think Meghan takes comment brilliantly!

I am predicting, that like Princess Anne and Catherine, you will see her wearing some same items years and years on. I think her public wardrobe will be separates based and will support economizing/mixing/matching. Never-mind that when she finds a great, pricey piece that she really wants and thinks will be a workhorse, she will get it. Maybe out of her private wealth. I think that's been discussed, too.

I think Charles and Harry will shower her with jewelry gifts.

All my opinion.

I don't think the issue is a lack of a clothing budget, I am willing to bet that while formally Meghan will not be on the books until after the wedding, that she has access to Harry's allotment. I do think that there is a tailoring issue, but I am not so sure that the issue is that Meghan lacks the resources to get her clothes tailored.

For the record I think that her style is more blah than bad, and it is certainly her prerogative to have a blah style.

Last edited:
(..)

Her style is very different to what we have seen in the royal family so far - its modern and very trendy and that touch of "hollywood" feel to it. She is different fashion wise from Kate etc who tends to play it safe and British and homegrown feel to it.

Meghan is a great addition to the family - i might not like all her fashion choices but there is an edge and quirk to her outfits that is interesting and exciting to see what she wears next

Totally agree. :flowers: I also get the vibe that she is not really dressing (absolutely) for the camera. She is definitely not posing to make everything look picture-perfect. Refreshing change.

P.S. I think she looks fine, and I agree with those saying she is potentially pulling clothes from her current wardrobe (maybe). She's not married yet but getting right in there: that's plenty enough in my book. :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think the issue is a lack of a clothing budget, I am willing to bet that while formally Meghan will not be on the books until after the wedding, that she has access to Harry's allotment. I do think that there is a tailoring issue, but I am not so sure that the issue is that Meghan lacks the resources to get her clothes tailored.

For the record I think that her style is more blah than bad, and it is certainly her prerogative to have a blah style.
I think Meghan has a keen eye for good seperates, but doesn't know how to pair them together most of the times. A lot of her clothing is really lovely, quality pieces that will remain classic and fashionable for years to come, but like this particular outfit with the blazer, she seems to have no clue. If you can't drape the blazer, just wear the damn blazer for it's intended purpose.

the jacket is intersting but should be worn properly i don't like the way she is wearing it,not fan of the dress neither
i think the outfit is combo of nice pieces (jacket,bag,shoes....) worn in totally wrong way so the result is a mess Imo

For all her style experience and tips in the past I begin to think she really didn't do most of that herself but was styled mostly by the show's people.

I'm not sure she really understands how to style a wardrobe (as mentioned several times..hard time putting the good pieces together) which is why I am hoping after the wedding she sits down and gets serious about a wardrobe (with a new budget) and professional help or input from a person in country.

LaRae

For all her style experience and tips in the past I begin to think she really didn't do most of that herself but was styled mostly by the show's people.

I'm not sure she really understands how to style a wardrobe (as mentioned several times..hard time putting the good pieces together) which is why I am hoping after the wedding she sits down and gets serious about a wardrobe (with a new budget) and professional help or input from a person in country.

LaRae
Perhaps that is what is going on. I often wonder if people like the Kardashians would be so well dressed if not for a stylist. I for one don't see Meghan's dress as being Hollywood I think a Hollywood actress would have a better dress on; on the other hand the shoes are definitely Hollywood.
I would also like to say I am fond of her having the jacket on her shoulders; capes have been a trend for a few years and they often look good.

Can we discuss Harry's shoes. please? ;) ? Ha! Taking after his father and Aunt Anne?

Totally agree. :flowers: I also get the vibe that she is not really dressing (absolutely) for the camera. She is definitely not posing to make everything look picture-perfect. Refreshing change.

P.S. I think she looks fine, and I agree with those saying she is potentially pulling clothes from her current wardrobe (maybe). She's not married yet but getting right in there: that's plenty enough in my book. :flowers:

Totally agree. She gets an "A" for effort.

This isn't really separates though. This is a dress, that she needed an outer coat for, in the cold weather. Separates would be top and bottom.

Usually love her style but not a fan here. I think the dress would be cute if short, like above the knee pencil. At this length I find it unattractive.

I actually wish she would stick to separates, even when she wears a skirt, they are a nice change from the standard BRF dress. Though she did look great at the church event recently in navy/white.

I think the dress would of worked better with a fitted jacket worn (arms in) over it.

I like the length, she can wear it without it making her look squat/short.

LaRae

I really like Meghan's dress; in fact, I would wear it if I were attending Sunday brunch with my best girlfriends.

With that being said, the dress looks great on her along with the blazer, but her whole entire look was wrong for today's event. Way too Cali casual chic for meeting her future subjects.

Up front, I love her quirky style and thought her dress, bag and shoes were great. Now her jacket, well when worn properly, is nipped in at the waist which is why it didn't sit well on her shoulders especially once she started to shake hands. However, I really like the jacket itself and it would have looked dynamite over the dress.

Having read the four pages (wow were you guys busy overnight or what?) I see we went from beach to patio, to sundress, to work dress, and even to interview dress. I thought it was 'inspired' because looking at all the Youtube clips, the only really suit type was the guy who met them and the woman with him. The delegates ran the gamut from summer clothes all the way through to layered clothes with fur lined ankle boots! They come from different climates so some were warm and others darned cold.

I like the way Meghan's clothes don't scream 'Meghan here, look at me' which is a really good thing because she is with Harry and I think with a few words of advice as to dress code for the day, she dressed for him.

PS: Love the vertiginous shoes. Yet another knockout!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom