Meghan Markle's Fashion and Style Part 1: November 2017 - May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing makes sense? She's wearing colors of the Irish flag.

LaRae

LaRae

In the sense the colors go together and don't clash :flowers:

But considering they are in Belfast, a nod to the Republic of Ireland flag might not be the best thing to point out. I thought the shoes were red.

LaRae

But she was in Northern Ireland and not Ireland. It's a BIG difference.
Correct me if I'm wrong but if I remember correctly, the flag of Northern Ireland is mostly white and red...so maybe IF the colours were chosen intentionally as an homage maybe it was a faux pas, too...

Regardless, to me, from the point of view of style, I see 4 different colours that don't go too well all together (skirt, top and coat, bag, shoes).

Nice to have a skirt and some color, a lovely green. The messy hair and hair touching still irks me and the coat is way too big and long. But quite an improvement, the cut of the skirt is very special.

But she was in Northern Ireland and not Ireland. It's a BIG difference.
Correct me if I'm wrong but if I remember correctly, the flag of Northern Ireland is mostly white and red...so maybe IF the colours were chosen intentionally as an homage maybe it was a faux pas, too...

Regardless, to me, from the point of view of style, I see 4 different colours that don't go too well all together (skirt, top and coat, bag, shoes).

Red white and blue, the union jack is the official flag for NI. St Patrick's Sattire is sometimes used (the red X in the Union jack represents NI).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Northern_Ireland#/media/File:Saint_Patrick's_Saltire.svg

Nice to have a skirt and some color, a lovely green. The messy hair and hair touching still irks me and the coat is way too big and long. But quite an improvement, the cut of the skirt is very special.

No worries about the hair touching. May never go away but I am sure like Kate she will move to 'its just her habit, or nerves' and people will stop commenting.

As for the coat, think people will have to get used to it. The looser over coat is a style, and one she seems to quite like. Not a fitted suit coat like others.

Last edited:
Her shoes looked very red in certain light...then more burnt reddish/orange in other light.

I'm going to figure she was intending to represent the Flag of Ireland where she actually was today.

Cream, green and red/burnt orange do go together. No it's not monochromatic and it's not brown or black (thank God)....but it does look well. She looks amazing walking across the room without the coat on (which I was not a fan of the coat).

LaRae

I'm going to figure she was intending to represent the Flag of Ireland where she actually was today.

LaRae

Excuse me Pranter, but I think you need an explanation:

- Ireland is an island

- Politically, this island is divided between the Republic of Ireland (officially named Ireland) and Northern Ireland which is part of the United Kingdom.

- The colours of the flag of the REPUBLIC OF IRELAND are green, white, and orange

- The flag of NORTHERN IRELAND is the Union Jack (of course I know this Countessmeout...) but the Ulster Banner and the St. Patrick Saltire are sometimes used (colours RED and WHITE) - for instance in the uniforms of Northern Ireland's football team.

- Miss Markle today was in Belfast, which is Nothern Ireland's capital. I do hope she was aware of the difference.

If you need more information I suggest visiting https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ireland

Excuse me if this post is OT, but I felt it was necessary.

Last edited:
I know geography. There is no need to be condescending Juliette. Even if there is confusion over the flag issue.

LaRae

Must admit I thought she was 'wearing the Irish flag', especially when the shoes were so different, not realising she was in Belfast. Surely there would already be someone to advise her about outfit/colour choices??

I love this look, it's very fresh and informal without being sloppy at all. I don't mind the messy bun, she is able to carry that off. And whether the shoe color is a faux pas or not, I still love the shoes.

I think the shoes are a tawny red, called 'Fire'. And the crowds of locals who greeted Harry and Meghan didn't seem to care what colour combination Meghan wore. They were just very pleased to see them both.

Thanks for the picture. To me, at least, these shoes look brown with a red/orange undertone.

In my opinion the shoe color is so ambiguous based on lighting that any reading of their meaning has some merit. Are they orange and show a major faux pas for Meghan, are they dark red and a knot to the NI flag, or are they a completely neutral brown?

For me personally, they look brown and I assume this was Meghan choosing a shoe to tie in her brown bag and not compete with the skirt, but obviously I'm not her stylist.

I love this look, it's very fresh and informal without being sloppy at all. I don't mind the messy bun, she is able to carry that off. And whether the shoe color is a faux pas or not, I still love the shoes.

Agree with you. :flowers: Perfection with hair is past imperfect. No one wants to see a mannequin.

The shoe color is not a faux pas. :flowers: These threads can become hot-houses of discussions focussing on minutiae that has no bearing on what is taking place anywhere 'out there' in the real world, and this is one such. IMO. It's OTT analysis. Again just my opinion.

P.S. I do not mean to diss any topic of conversation. All valid. I am responding to the suggestion that a possible 'insult' took place with color choices (reflecting badly on Meghan). I think that is reaching. She just wore a nice outfit, full stop. Some might like it, some may not. No more than that. Looking for error too hard. Cut her some slack.

Last edited:
Just a point of contemplation for those who have never encountered non-Caucasian 'natural' hair before. Meghan's hair is not messy/frizzy/she can't be bothered to run acomb through it, etc. Her hair is textured as she is a biracial woman. She will never be walking around with any other female royal's hair on her head. And she shouldn't be expected to, imo. Even if she were to do what seems to be the only acceptable Royal hair regime and have weekly Brazilians, her edges(=the root of her hair around her forhead & baby hair) would give her away as a woman of colour. Her hair was légere at Brixton(a bit to much even for my liking) but yesterday it was very looked styled.

As for the colour combinations. After perusing all the getty pics, to me it looks like a green and off white combo, with matching tan brown bag and shoes. I am not seeing the orange tbh.

Last edited:
I think she looks good, the skirt and the shoes are lovely, and the messy bun softens her looks.

I have nothing against wrap coats as long as they don't look like bathrobes. It's not like Meghan is the only woman in the royal circles wearing them, but her coats are the ones that most often give me bathrobe vibes. Maybe it's because her coats tend to be really, really long, and she herself seems quite petite. Added to that the casual, loose style that she wraps and ties (or doesn't) them, the result is often very heavy looking, the coat overpowering her, one might say. Not at all flattering in my opinion. This time the coat is at least lightened by the colour, it really makes a difference! I would prefer the coat MUCH shorter, but maybe the weather is not quite there yet. Certainly among her top three looks so far!

This was only the second time I didn't like a coat she's worn, the first one was the white engagement coat. The white one was too sloppy looking, this one too like a bathrobe for me.

I loved the white coat she wore to the Commonwealth services.

LaRae

Regarding the hair, the reason her hair looks odd is partially because of texture partially because it’s so destroyed from years of chemically straightening it (there is no amount of product that can truly make a chemically straightened hair look truly good) That’s why it always looks odd.
Third reason: the weather in the UK is different than CA and even Toronto. Her hair is still adjusting.

Honestly I hope she’ll stop straightning it and let it go back to its original shape (or at least what’s ever will be left of it due to the chemicals. Maybe once she’ll have a kid it will happen.

Straight hair actually does not fit her at all.

This time she looks polished a big differance what an up do can do love her hair up.
i like her outfit without the coat,it's nice coat but the skirt and top looks better without imo.

Excuse me Pranter, but I think you need an explanation:

- Ireland is an island

- Politically, this island is divided between the Republic of Ireland (officially named Ireland) and Northern Ireland which is part of the United Kingdom.

- The colours of the flag of the REPUBLIC OF IRELAND are green, white, and orange

- The flag of NORTHERN IRELAND is the Union Jack (of course I know this Countessmeout...) but the Ulster Banner and the St. Patrick Saltire are sometimes used (colours RED and WHITE) - for instance in the uniforms of Northern Ireland's football team.

- Miss Markle today was in Belfast, which is Nothern Ireland's capital. I do hope she was aware of the difference.

If you need more information I suggest visiting https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ireland

Excuse me if this post is OT, but I felt it was necessary.
Well thanx for that Juliette you taught me something.
Also I agree that the outfit just looks like too many colors that give the appearance of clashing.
As for her hair I may be reading this wrong but Meghan having messy hair has nothing to do with her race. As an African American female I can contest that I and others put time and effort into our hair so it looks good, and in the past Meghan has had good hair days.
I don't grasp how Meghan's race excuses her bad hair choices... perhaps I am just not comprehending what you are trying to say.

At first I thought the republic flag, but now I think those shoes read chestnut like the bag. Which has an element of orange in there, but only if you think too long about the color. And they are not red. Reddish at best.

As for her hair I may be reading this wrong but Meghan having messy hair has nothing to do with her race. As an African American female I can contest that I and others put time and effort into our hair so it looks good, and in the past Meghan has had good hair days.
I don't grasp how Meghan's race excuses her bad hair choices... perhaps I am just not comprehending what you are trying to say.

For XeniaCasaraghi: I'm not sure what you mean, but I NEVER EVER suggested that her race has anything to do with her messy hair :eek: (!). It would absolutely never enter my mind to even consider that and I'm honestly not sure where you read that in my posts. Maybe you are getting confused with someone else's?

I just think her hair looks unkempt and messy most of the times: homemade "buns" (excuse the pun!), strands flying everywhere, etc.

Regarding the outfit, I loved the skirt and the shoes....the top not so much.

Regarding Meghan's hair...when she does these messy buns I am thinking she is doing them herself with no stylist. Maybe on the way to the event in the car? Like the initial plan was to wear it out and straight and because of the wind and rain she put her hair up?

Evolving door...when you mention chemicals..I assume you are referring to constant hair drying and/or hot curling irons. I don't think Meghan perms her hair. But yes I can imagine that the constant washing, drying and heat on her hair could have damaged it while working on Suits. That why a lot of women of color who are in the entertainment industry were weaves, wigs, and hair pieces. Think Beyonce, Viola Davis, Queen Latifah, etc.

Like Meghan...its going to take a while for her hair to adjust. I know it sounds silly but my fellow women (of all races but specifically woman such as myself who are African American)...it is possible for your hair to have a mind of is own when it comes to different temperatures. I am originally from the DC area and would wear my hair out 9 to 12 months of the year. During the hot summer months, it was back in a bun with a lot of gel. I now live in SE Alaska (Juneau to be exact) and we get more rain than Seattle! And now I wear a bun with a lot of gel six months out of the year.

I think once Meghan gets into her groove with her engagements, her styled and her hair will make the necessary adjustments. I imagine her hair had a big adjustment from California to Toronto and now to England.

Her shoes looked very red in certain light...then more burnt reddish/orange in other light.

Cream, green and red/burnt orange do go together. No it's not monochromatic and it's not brown or black (thank God)....but it does look well. She looks amazing walking across the room without the coat on (which I was not a fan of the coat).

LaRae

I agree. I really liked this outfit - those velvet shoes are to die for. I loved the neutral coppery brown tones of her coat (though it was slightly off tone), purse and heels. And the mossy green. Wow. Loved that color combination.

The only change I would have made was for a sweater in a similar green or a camel tone to coordinate with the coat. I’m just not as much of a fan of stark color differences in an outfit unless it’s white/black, etc.

But those shoes, purse and skirt have made me really happy.

I was actually in London the day of the Commonwealth Services and missed seeing the royals by an hour or so as I left for the airport. I wish I’d extended my trip - although it’s probably for the best as I caught an awful flu.

Best trip of my life though.

As for the hair - when I was in London a week ago - the weather wasn’t supposed to have rain. But it rained almost everyday (except thankfully the day we were at Clarence House with Camilla). I was the only black woman out of 7 who wore her hair naturally. The others had to worry about the rain and weird cold humidity.

And even my natural hair frizzed - which in CA it never did.

I can only imagine how Meghan is fairing. I suspect that many days she plans to wear her hair down but the unexpected rain (seriously the weather would show no rain but it would always rain) forces her to adjust.

I don’t think Meghan has lived in an area that causes this kind of angst with hair before. So she’s adjusting.

I hope Meghan is able to keep part of herself in her royal style - hair and all.

Loved yesterday’s outfit. I liked the Commonwealth outfit okay - I wasn’t a fan of the “princessy” coat except in color. Loved the dress and heels though and adored the beret.

The way some reacted to her Commonwealth outfit with praise did make me realize that some have a notion of what royals are “supposed” to wear and are happiest when Meghan toes that line. Whereas I’m happiest when she sticks to her style but elevated it so it works in royal settings, which I think Meghan has done well.

Maybe this latest outfit is evidence of her bridging that gap between her style and royal style.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok now see I thought what Meghan wore to the commonwealth services to be Royal Style PLUS Meghan style. At first I was not sure about the white (everyone was in dark colors) until I saw the theme when I saw Anne and realized they were all in navy and/or navy with cream/white (and I thought Anne was smashing).

When she (Meghan) came out of the Church with the coat open I was sold. Lovely and I'm going to pretend I did not see a beret hat which I do not like.

Glad you popped in FM...been wondering since yesterday what you thought of the last two events/outfits! lol

LaRae

For XeniaCasaraghi: I'm not sure what you mean, but I NEVER EVER suggested that her race has anything to do with her messy hair :eek: (!). It would absolutely never enter my mind to even consider that and I'm honestly not sure where you read that in my posts. Maybe you are getting confused with someone else's?

I just think her hair looks unkempt and messy most of the times: homemade "buns" (excuse the pun!), strands flying everywhere, etc.
@juliette I apologize for the confusion, I tend not to mention specific posts I am responding to. The post you quoted actually mentions 2 different topics brought up by 3 different people. That was my mistake I will try to do better next time.

@General hair discussion, no specific person.
I personally don't think the hair issues have to do with her being non-Caucasian and more with the weather. I've never been to London, though I'll accept an invite, but apparently it is wet and still cold (sounds like heaven). Meghan may be struggling with how to wear her hair in such weather. I agree when she wears that bun it looks like she threw it together in the back seat of a car that was going down a bumpy road; it reminds me of Kate's wedding hair when you could tell she did it herself.

Last edited:
I think she looks good, the skirt and the shoes are lovely, and the messy bun softens her looks.

I agree! :flowers: But also, unlike others, I saw very soft hair, hair in excellent condition. It looked very inviting to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom