Meghan Markle's Fashion and Style Part 1: November 2017 - May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Meghan is going to continue to figure out how to go about things. Harry is going to help her out. If there are concerns about her clothing he's going to let her know. Personally I think she's in tune enough to know if something is appropriate or not.

LaRae

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a happy medium between squandering $75,000 on a dress and going to Primark.
:whistling:

You see it as squandering $75k, she might not. Granted she's also earned a lot more in a year than an average person. I know brides often do splurge on their wedding dresses. What can't Meghan splurge her own money on her engagement dress? They wouldn't be doing another set of engagement photos, ever. So if that's the dress that she wanted that day, how is it anyone else's problem? This isn't something that would be reimbursed by the Duchy of Cornwall as official business clothing would be.

Meghan had many people help her before one picture was snapped. If anyone felt it was inappropriate they never would have happened let alone be released via all the official accounts. She is a little more edgy and daring but she not out of line in their mind.

You see it as squandering $75k, she might not. Granted she's also earned a lot more in a year than an average person. I know brides often do splurge on their wedding dresses. What can't Meghan splurge her own money on her engagement dress? They wouldn't be doing another set of engagement photos, ever. So if that's the dress that she wanted that day, how is it anyone else's problem? This isn't something that would be reimbursed by the Duchy of Cornwall as official business clothing would be.

Thing is, since it's from the 16/17 collection she probably already owned it and didn't buy it just for the engagement shoot.

Even so...if she wanted to spend 100,00 on a brand new dress, it's her money.

LaRae

Jack Royston‏
@Jack_Royston
Following Following @Jack_Royston

Meghan's engagement shoot dress worth quite a bit more than Kate's, though am told Meghan didn't actually have to pay the full £56k.

Jack Royston‏
@Jack_Royston
Following Following @Jack_Royston

Meghan's engagement shoot dress worth quite a bit more than Kate's, though am told Meghan didn't actually have to pay the full £56k.

Considering it was last year's design, I'd be surprised if it wasn't on discount. Would that make people feel better? :lol:

I think the biggest takeawy from these photos is we are starting to see Meghan's personal fashion taste. I had given alot of latitude to her red carpet/celebrity wardrobe as an actress; it was a job - but now we are starting to see her personal style. Granted - she is not in direct line to be Queen - but I think she is definitely making a statement. Personally i dont think the sheer top is appropriate, i think the price tag on the dress was foolish - but she will learn and adjust. Marrying into this family is not easy and all seem to have a landmine to navigate... Diana wore a strapless black dress for her first formal engagement - and causeded quite a stir.

I think they look very happy and I like the BW photo. This 'black swan' dress isnt my taste - but it sure makes me more curious about what her wedding dress will be thats for sure.

I'm not a fan of the outfit, but they look super happy and I think she looks great! As for the pricetag of the dress, it's her money and she can spend it however she likes.

I couldn't care less how much the dress cost, considering Meghan paid for it with her hard-earned money.

Diana talked about that later...they had no idea (or guidance) that she wasn't supposed to wear black or something that 'daring'. It got all kinds of comments!

Meghan is way more covered up in her dress. It's lined and has design to further cover things.

LaRae

Considering it was last year's design, I'd be surprised if it wasn't on discount. Would that make people feel better? :lol:

No they'd just shift over to commenting (more) about the 'sheer' part. If it was free they'd still not be happy.

LaRae

I really don't like the dress.

I do agree with those who have said that the dress seems a bit "fancy" (for want of a better word) for an engagement photoshoot. It's a nice dress, but Meghan looks like she's about to step on to the red carpet rather than pose for photos in the grounds of Frogmore House.

Having said that, I don't understand why there is such a commotion about the price of the dress. Yes, it is expensive, but Meghan is a royal-to-be and I don't expect her to wear something from the sale rack in the local supermarket's clothing line. We all deserve to treat ourselves once in a while, especially when one is able to afford such a price.

I don't see why it's a problem that people comment on the price of the dress. This is a fashion thread after all. The price of clothing, the appropriatness of said clothing and whether they recycle their clothes enough, is something that's discussed in all of the various fashion threads.

Meghan's clothing choices didn't matter when she was a private citizen, but now that she is entering the BRF, her clothing choices are going to be (rightly or wrongly) scrutinized by the public. She is just going to have to get used to that.

I don't think Curbside was using racial humor just stating a fact, although honestly its not just Southern black women its older black women in general. Attend any predominately black church on a Sunday in the States, and you will find black woman of a certain age who are serious about their church hats and God! You could easily pick out at least 10 hats! And let's not talk about Easter!

There was even a coffee table book about it (I own it as well). Its called Crowns Crowns: A Brief History of Church Hats - Photo Essays - TIME .

I have been to a church in LA, and the woman are serious as well. I also believe that Meghan's mother's family is from the South...so if they are invited and attend the wedding...be ready!

Exactly. I grew up in the black church and I can confirm that hats are serious business. I'm looking forward to seeing the hats her mom's side of the family wears.

I don't see why it's a problem that people comment on the price of the dress. This is a fashion thread after all. The price of clothing, the appropriatness of said clothing and whether they recycle their clothes enough, is something that's discussed in all of the various fashion threads.

I'm not saying that people shouldn't discuss it, I'm just saying that I don't personally understand the upset. Of course people should discuss the price of the dress as we're all allowed to post our opinions here.

It was sheer but hers was also lined. It was not risque or even that edgy.

Exactly. I'm honestly baffled by the talk of it being inappropriate.

I like this dress, Meghan wears it well. But the best thing about it is that now, we know that she is a fan of R&R and more elaborate designs, so we really might be in for a surprise with her wedding gown. ;)

Last edited:
Kensington Palace confirmed that the #MeghanMarkle engagement photo gown she wore was 'privately purchased'. It was estimated to have cost around £56,000. Ouch!

Via Robert Jobson

Meghan's clothing choices didn't matter when she was a private citizen, but now that she is entering the BRF, her clothing choices are going to be (rightly or wrongly) scrutinized by the public. She is just going to have to get used to that.

Exactly. I grew up in the black church and I can confirm that hats are serious business. I'm looking forward to seeing the hats her mom's side of the family wears.

I don't think we are saying people can't talk about it, but it's the rightly or wrongly part that we are debating.

And yes, I remember all the hat jokes the day the engagement was announced. That was quite entertaining.:lol:

I'm not saying that people shouldn't discuss it, I'm just saying that I don't personally understand the upset. Of course people should discuss the price of the dress as we're all allowed to post our opinions here.

I was referring to comments about it being her money and we shouldn't care what she paid.

I do have to point out that the issue with royals spending extravagantly is seen as bad optics is due to the fact that many feel they didn't earn their money, but rather born into an institution that took from the people. That's the underlining issue with the BRF. However, Meghan has earned her own keep, so if she wants to buy a nice expensive dress for her engagement portrait, it's her right and she's earned it.

And honestly, if she does this on a regular basis, I can understand the reaction of some here. However, this isn't an everyday occurrence with her at all. We've never seen her in anything nearly as expensive in other more lower profile events. So I'm not sure why the reaction over a special dress for a special occasion.

Last edited:
I was referring to comments about it being her money and we shouldn't care what she paid.

Okay, thank you for clearing that up. As you had posted directly after me and I had also contributed to the discussion I just presumed your post was directed at me. Now it makes more sense.

KP confirms it was a "privately purchased" dress.

Thanks for the conformation that the dressed was privately purchased. I bet that is a load off the a lot of peoples minds.;) They now can rest easy now.:ohmy:

A couple of off-topic posts and comments have been removed. Please stay on topic of this thread, which is fashion only. Thank you!

The vast cost of ONE dress will be forgotten quickly enough in this 'Honeymoon period'. but I guarantee it will be 'filed' and dredged up when the gloss and novelty of Ms Markle has worn off.
The experience of extravagant 'Fashion plate' princesses here is not good..ULTIMATELY the Public dislike such ostentatious displays of wealth [regardless of who's paying].
It's a fine balance to tread.. spectacular and expensive when the occasion demands, but a more 'workhorse' wardrobe of 'affordable' clothes 90% of the time.

When Meghan wore affordable priced jeans to watch a tennis match, in downtown Toronto, during the 2017 Invictus Games there were some royal watchers who complained that a girlfriend of a Prince should’ve worn something better. Now she wears a lovely and expensive gown for her Engagement photos and there are complaints that she should’ve worn something less expensive. LOL!

The vast cost of ONE dress will be forgotten quickly enough in this 'Honeymoon period'. but I guarantee it will be 'filed' and dredged up when the gloss and novelty of Ms Markle has worn off.
The experience of extravagant 'Fashion plate' princesses here is not good..ULTIMATELY the Public dislike such ostentatious displays of wealth [regardless of who's paying].
It's a fine balance to tread.. spectacular and expensive when the occasion demands, but a more 'workhorse' wardrobe of 'affordable' clothes 90% of the time.

She's found a very good balance so far. We haven't seen her in another dress that's this expensive or close to it. She dressed in a very affordable dress to the Queen's lunch, and her previous outfits as royal girlfriend/fiance never seemed outrageously expensive either. I think people are jumping on her too quickly for one outfit for a special occasion.

Okay, thank you for clearing that up. As you had posted directly after me and I had also contributed to the discussion I just presumed your post was directed at me. Now it makes more sense.

No problem. I can see how it seemed as if I was referring to your post.

I don't think we are saying people can't talk about it, but it's the rightly or wrongly part that we are debating.

And yes, I remember all the hat jokes the day the engagement was announced. That was quite entertaining. :lol:

Oh I get it. I don't always agree with some of the fashion criticism that some of the royal ladies receive, but it unfortunately comes with the territory. I think Meghan will handle it all fine though. She's shown that she knows how to dress for the occasion. Her only misstep so far has been this dress, IMO.

Yeah, I had a good laugh at some of the hat jokes on twitter. :lol:

This is one dress! One! Now if in a years time, Meghan has a string of $50, 000 dresses, then let's talk. But one dress, for a very special occasion that she likely paid for herself? I think the uproar is a bit over the top.

Ms. Markle is a fashionable woman. Hopefully, there is no sister-in-law rivalry with Kate like there was with Diana and Sarah in the '80s and the '90s.

Seeing as how hats are such a big part of the culture in the U.K. (at least when it comes to weddings and certain events) I think we are gonna see all the hats we could possibly want to see at their wedding from both sides of the family!

I just hope someone reins Beatrice and Eugenie in! lol

LaRae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom