Meghan Markle's Fashion and Style Part 1: November 2017 - May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good grief, tell me that is a misprint that Meghan has a dress worth 56,000 pounds and I don't care who the designer is. If true that is the most dumbest thing, ridiculous thing ever. And no I do not like this dress, sheer beaded top with feathered skirt or ruffled skirt......hope this is not something forth coming all the time now........:whistling:

Im assuming that this dressed was borrowed for the shoot and not actually bought by Meghan.

The pictures are great and I LOVE the picture of them embracing and Harry in his coat. It's damn chic and well dressed. But damn, a 56000 couture dress for a photo is STEEP.

I do agree that the dress price is a little too much for engagement photos and while I love the look, I can see people claiming it’s too “Vogue” or Hollywood to wear such a gown for a daytime shoot.

I think Meghan will catch some flack for the cost of the dress that she could have avoided by going with Ralph and Russo RTW or another brand.

Very vogue, for a royal engagement shoot.

Reactions: Fem
I do agree that the dress price is a little too much for engagement photos and while I love the look, I can see people claiming it’s too “Vogue” or Hollywood to wear such a gown for a daytime shoot.

I think Meghan will catch some flack for the cost of the dress that she could have avoided by going with Ralph and Russo RTW or another brand.
If it's bought, it'll probably pop up somewhere at an event, but yeah, in my opinion such a costly dress is not necessarily a good look for them if you look past the pretty image.

As nice as this dress is, the pricing of it is rather insane. This dress is no better or more beautiful than a 10.000 Valentino or Giambattista Valli dress yet they chose a 56.000 dress? Common sense people..

It’s also possible it was given to her free? The Stramore purse she used for Nottingham was sent to her as part of various samples I think.

I don't think they accept free clothing and jewellry though. Atleast I remember it being made clear that everything Kate wears is bought and not borrowed or loaned from designers.

The pictures are great and I LOVE the picture of them embracing and Harry in his coat. It's damn chic and well dressed. But damn, a 56000 couture dress for a photo is STEEP.
Well I would say it was her money to spend. I wonder if she got it in Toronto, L.A. or London? Wonder if she already had it?

As a former actress who has attended a few Hollywood premieres as well as benefits, its also possible that she already owned the dress or borrowed it from a friend.

Nonetheless, I do agree that cost of the dress (while pretty) is not something the public is not going to love on a regular.

Hopefully this is a one and done.

And yes, I also agree that Harry could have worn another suit. They probably didn't talk about what they were going to wear before the photos.

I can imagine Victoria Beckham and any other designer on earth falling over themselves to lend Meghan clothes at the moment, for whatever purpose. I don't think Meghan does own many expensive outfits of her own.

It’s also possible it was given to her free? The Stramore purse she used for Nottingham was sent to her as part of various samples I think.

I don't think it was ever claimed it was sent to her for free. She is procuring things in different places in both North America and UK. The Strathmore was actually a Saks exclusive. I don't think she ever spoke or worked directly with the owners before using it.

Possibly 'Photo-shoots' are different ?

I HOPE so, 56k seems a vast amount to blow on a single dress...

£56,000 dress?? A far cry from the high street.

Is she supposed to be high street for some reason?

It's her engagement photo, if the woman wants a £56,000 dress and can afford it, what's the problem? It's her prerogative. We know these people are independently wealthy, there is no reason for them to act like they are not on purpose. She will mix high and low price tagged items based on the look of the product.

I think the dress is inappropriate. Hope it’s not a sign of things to come.

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep in mind this is from their 2016 collection, we are onto the 2018 collection now. So it's highly unlikely she just went to Ralph and Russo distributor and just bought it the day before those photos. It's very likely this is something a stylist or someone she knows had in stock.

Is she supposed to be high street for some reason?

It's her engagement photo, if the woman wants a £56,000 dress and can afford it, what's the problem? It's her prerogative. We know these people are independently wealthy, there is no reason for them to act like they are not on purpose. She will mix high and low price tagged items based on the look of the product.

I agree, but at the same time its about optics. IN a time of austerity and cuts and economic uncertainty, the BRF has to be careful. Meghan, as many have discussed, is under an extremely intense microscope right now and I feel many in the British press, specifically the DM, will look for anything to pounce on.

Folks can claim that the Royals don't care, but they do care about their media coverage: they have to! The media shapes perception. Unfortunately, the DM Online is especially influential.

I would have side-eyed any royal lady wearing such an expensive dress for a photoshoot. Kate, I am sure, has worn similarily expensive dresses since so many of her pieces are bespoke and many of those are McQueen, I can guarantee she has. But because they are bespoke, the cost isn't as clear so she gets away with it. This gown the cost is clear and its IMO too high.

With all that being said, I am DELIGHTED that R&R are on her radar because I have been wanting her to wear them. And at the end of the day, all R&R pieces are handcrafted in the UK and they are a UK brand with ties to commonwealth too.

I agree, but at the same time its about optics. IN a time of austerity and cuts and economic uncertainty, the BRF has to be careful. Meghan, as many have discussed, is under an extremely intense microscope right now and I feel many in the British press, specifically the DM, will look for anything to pounce on.

Folks can claim that the Royals don't care, but they do care about their media coverage: they have to! The media shapes perception. Unfortunately, the DM Online is especially influential.

I would have side-eyed any royal lady wearing such an expensive dress for a photoshoot. Kate, I am sure, has worn similarily expensive dresses since so many of her pieces are bespoke and many of those are McQueen, I can guarantee she has. But because they are bespoke, the cost isn't as clear so she gets away with it. This gown the cost is clear and its IMO too high.

With all that being said, I am DELIGHTED that R&R are on her radar because I have been wanting her to wear them. And at the end of the day, all R&R pieces are handcrafted in the UK and they are a UK brand with ties to commonwealth too.

My view on this is this is her engagement photo, it's not something they'll ever do again. Just like a wedding dress. So if she wants something that is expensive for those occasions, I have no problem with it. People seems to have an easier time with a wedding dress that costs a lot because it's a one time thing, well, engagement photo aren't exactly an annual thing. So in those situations, I don't really think it's fair to criticize her for the cost of her dress and act somehow others are wronged by her wearing a dress because of its price tag.

And really, she is promoting a UK brand by wearing it.

Keep in mind this is from their 2016 collection, we are onto the 2018 collection now. So it's highly unlikely she just went to Ralph and Russo distributor and just bought it the day before those photos. It's very likely this is something a stylist or someone she knows had in stock.

That is my thinking too, but it was still kind of tone deaf to wear this. I rather she had saved this for an actual event than for photos.

I personally love the dress itself. Ralph and Russo are an incredible brand and each piece is handcrafted and stitched in the UK. They are extremely attentive to detail with their pieces and it takes hours and hours to create their gowns. This is a great moment for them, I am sure.

My view on this is this is her engagement photo, it's not something they'll ever do again. Just like a wedding dress. So if she wants something that is expensive for those occasions, I have no problem with it. People seems to have an easier time with a wedding dress that costs a lot because it's a one time thing, well, engagement photo aren't exactly an annual thing. So in those situations, I don't really think it's fair to criticize her for the cost of her dress and act somehow others are wronged by her wearing a dress because of its price tag.

And really, she is promoting a UK brand by wearing it.

All I am saying is perception is everything and if people perceive Meghan to be flashy with her wealth that isn't a good look for a member of a family who is supported by the public. You may not think its fair, but it is reality and its a reality Meghan will have to deal with the same as any royal lady/person does. Nothing will ever simply just be a matter of it being "her" engagement photo or "her" wedding. There are expectations, norms and pressures that come with joining this family to contend with too.

I am not trying to find fault with Meghan. I adore her and Harry and love the pictures. I am just being realistic about what they are facing.

But I don't want to go OT anymore and derail the thread so I have said my piece about the cost.

I was a little surprised. It’s a bit much to me for an engagement shoot. I agree with others. Even if she owns the dress, why choose that? It’s just my opinion, but it’s too over-the-top especially for a future royal. She does look pretty and they do look very in love. These aren’t my favorite and they don’t necessarily reflect well for Prince Harry or Meghan. I think there’s a balance that can be struck.

Last edited:
All I am saying is perception is everything and if people perceive Meghan to be flashy with her wealth that isn't a good look for a member of a family who is supported by the public. You may not think its fair, but it is reality and its a reality Meghan will have to deal with the same as any royal lady/person does. Nothing will ever simply just be a matter of it being "her" engagement photo or "her" wedding. There are expectations, norms and pressures that come with joining this family to contend with too.

I am not trying to find fault with Meghan. I adore her and Harry and love the pictures. I am just being realistic about what they are facing.

But I don't want to go OT anymore and derail the thread so I have said my piece about the cost.

Oh I completely understand the idea of perception. My issue with this here is that this is for her wedding and engagement. And not for an official royal family work. If she wishes to spend her hard earned money this way on her own wedding and engagement, I say go for it. I do feel like there are special occasions where in a person's life, they should be able to do harmless things like this if it's what they want. If she tried on different dresses that day, and felt like that's the right dress (come on, ladies, you know the feeling I'm talking about), then that's that.

The dress isn’t something I particularly care for but it’s nice. I don’t think it was a good choice for an engagement shoot though. She looked pretty but I didn’t like it.

The photos with the dress make me think of a couple that has been partying and dancing all night and stayed up to watch the sun come up.

I can imagine Victoria Beckham and any other designer on earth falling over themselves to lend Meghan clothes at the moment, for whatever purpose. I don't think Meghan does own many expensive outfits of her own.

Yep and also remember she has designer/stylist friends who also have big connections. Meghan herself doesn't have to accept anything but her friends can and they can "lend" it to her on her. These people know how to work loop holes. And trust, these people are happy to send stuff her away knowing the "Markle Sparkle" effect going on right now.

That is my thinking too, but it was still kind of tone deaf to wear this. I rather she had saved this for an actual event than for photos.

I personally love the dress itself. Ralph and Russo are an incredible brand and each piece is handcrafted and stitched in the UK. They are extremely attentive to detail with their pieces and it takes hours and hours to create their gowns. This is a great moment for them, I am sure.

Considering we had Princess Michael wearing a Blackamoor brooch to the Queen's Christmas lunch, I'd think the offense, if any here is minimal. I mean I know Brexit is causing some anxiety and uncertainty, but we are hardly in a depression or recession here.

The photos with the dress make me think of a couple that has been partying and dancing all night and stayed up to watch the sun come up.

:flowers: I like this thought!

Not a fan of the skirt part of the dress. I don't mind the top, everything is covered. I don't care about the price. That's none of my business as long as they aren't spending my money.

LaRae

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom