The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 07:48 AM
Majesty

Have to say I really liked both outfits, and thought the black beret was very cute. The black outfit for WA was fine though I'm not really a fan of all black, but I thought the grey coat was lovely.

Old 04-25-2018, 07:55 AM
Heir Apparent

Not a fan of the Grey Coat, Ms Markle looks overwhelmed by it, but the Fedora is wonderful.

The Black outfit is FAULTLESS, and I love the fabric [I think its cloqué].

Old 04-25-2018, 08:04 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
Not a fan of the Grey Coat, it looks she looks overwhelmed by it, but the Fedora is wonderful.

The Black outfit is FAULTLESS, and I love the fabric [I think its cloqué].
I shall look that up - Wickstead uses that material a lot and as I said, I'm not a fan.

The outfit looked familiar and according to the brilliant Anna, Sophie Wessex has the same in pale blue - worn at Ascot and BP GP.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 04-25-2018, 08:12 AM
Courtier

I love, love, love the wide-brimmed hat on Meghan but that gray coat is astoundingly bad. The buttons are too large...the double pocket flaps are out of place...the contrast between the trim waist and wide shoulders...it's all just too much. It's fussy and dated; it overwhelms her.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:16 AM
Serene Highness

I loved both looks today. I liked both hats, too. Meghan really is putting in the work, I really do applaud her for it.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:19 AM
Aristocracy

I think her sleeveless memorial service outfit was lovely! Perhaps on someone with bigger bust area it would be inappropriate for a church event, but on Meghan it was perfectly fine in my opinion.

Now, I'm clearly having issues with her coats. Once again it looks heavy and somewhat bulky and overwhelming. I think perhaps the shoulderpads are too big and wide, and the length could be a few inches shorter. However, the hat suits her really well! And her shoes look more comfortable than her usual heels, great choice!

I love the fabric and upper part of the black outfit, the cropped jacket and the 3/4 sleeves, but I think a shorter skirt would lighten the all black look a bit. I'm not a fan of the black beret, or any flat saucer like headwears in general.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:34 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonytick View Post
I love, love, love the wide-brimmed hat on Meghan but that gray coat is astoundingly bad. The buttons are too large...the double pocket flaps are out of place...the contrast between the trim waist and wide shoulders...it's all just too much. It's fussy and dated; it overwhelms her.
ITA loonytick. I loved the first hat and her makeup is very nice, her hair is okay, at least it's out of her face. The coat is too padded in the shoulders and the buttons are too large, and too many.

The second outfit is a vast improvement, but I agree the fabric is too heavy and I really don't like berets but that is a personal preference. She looks much more polished and pulled together today, both outfits are an improvement.

She's learning, and yes she's working hard. I think she wants very much to get it right, so while we'll see things that don't work from time to time, she seems to go back and make changes and doesn't repeat questionable choices.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:41 AM
Courtier

Personally not a fans of the beret, but LOVE her black outfit. (I imagine she pair it with her brimmed hat)
Old 04-25-2018, 08:52 AM
Imperial Majesty

Very elegant during both ceremonies.

A.W. TOZER
Old 04-25-2018, 08:56 AM
Courtier

She looks appropriate at both events, but I do not like the black suit. It looks stiff and dated to me.

The fedora is wonderful. She needs more of these--so stylish!
Old 04-25-2018, 09:02 AM
Courtier

I loved that wide brimmed fedora hat - nice edge of style there... and I loved the jacket (the architectural shoulders were TDF) - great outfit.

The black one though... didn't like it. I'm glad it wasn't a slim dress underneath it and appreciate the shape she chose because it's definitely her applying her style aesthetic to a very staid look, but I didn't like it.

Except for the beret. LOVE her little berets!!!
Old 04-25-2018, 09:21 AM
Heir Apparent

Meghan looked nice and appropriate at both events. I like that she tried the big brimmed hat style and really liked the black outfit even with the beret. It will be fun to see her choices for Trooping and Ascot in June.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:23 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by FashionMaven View Post
I loved that wide brimmed fedora hat - nice edge of style there... and I loved the jacket (the architectural shoulders were TDF) - great outfit.

The black one though... didn't like it. I'm glad it wasn't a slim dress underneath it and appreciate the shape she chose because it's definitely her applying her style aesthetic to a very staid look, but I didn't like it.

Except for the beret. LOVE her little berets!!!
I like the jacket too. I do feel like it's more of a retro look, but retro is in right now. I like how the cascading hemline isn't that cascading. I always find these to be a bit meh, but this one is done in a very classy manner. I do like longer coats like this as oppose to those that end at the knees or higher. I just feel like it's more a majestic look if you will. Which is terrible for me because longer coats are actually less common.

As for the second outfit, I thought she looked cute, but it's definitely very British.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:33 AM
Heir Presumptive

Looking good today, but that first grey coat is on the boxy side. The shoulders are very wide for such a small framed woman.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

One of the things I am really liking with Meghan's fashion choices is her use of the longer skirts. I think since her figure is very slim, the longer skirts are very flattering to her, and she has the height and figure to carry them off. I realize I seem to be in the minority with liking today's second, all black outfit, but I really think the combination of rich texture in the fabric, and the longer, narrow skirt are so elegant and striking. I can even live with the beret, especially since I got a better look at the ornamentation.

Also, I have to give a quick mention to the shoes she wore with the grey coat--those are just lovely.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:35 AM
Courtier

I've been critical of Meghan's fashion in the past but wowza...three cheers for Meghan, today! She seriously nailed it with both looks. Absolutely perfect with the small exception of the black beret and even that looked fine I just don't care much for the beret style. But seriously...credit where it's due...everything she wore today for both engagements was spot on. Perfect fit, perfect style, very very appropriate and fabulous.

These two outfits, the cape outfit, the black Halo dress....methinks Miss Meghan may have found herself a brilliant new stylist and she's doing a terrific job!
Old 04-25-2018, 09:40 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post

Also, I have to give a quick mention to the shoes she wore with the grey coat--those are just lovely.
That's a rewear. It's been identified as Sarah Flint. I did think it was Sarah Flint as soon as I saw it, but didn't think it was the same ones as Brixton, but it could've been the light.

Coat is Smythe Pagoda.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:52 AM
Heir Apparent

She looks great today! big claps to her stylist, who ever is?
Old 04-25-2018, 09:58 AM
Heir Apparent

I didn't realize Meghan's second outfit choice is also a nod to New Zealand as I didn't know Emilia Wickstead was born there.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Heather_ View Post
I've been critical of Meghan's fashion in the past but wowza...three cheers for Meghan, today! She seriously nailed it with both looks. Absolutely perfect with the small exception of the black beret and even that looked fine I just don't care much for the beret style. But seriously...credit where it's due...everything she wore today for both engagements was spot on. Perfect fit, perfect style, very very appropriate and fabulous.

These two outfits, the cape outfit, the black Halo dress....methinks Miss Meghan may have found herself a brilliant new stylist and she's doing a terrific job!
I've been wondering about this, too, since there seems to have been a definite tightening up of her game. She's definitely hitting her stride. On the other hand, maybe she's just one of those people who does better with spring and summer dressing than she does with wintery styles, and there's no new stylist involved.

Closed Thread