The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 10:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curbside View Post
That was a tongue-in-cheek reference to an earlier conversation in this thread about wearing cardigans.

I thought that might have been the case, but it did seem like other comments were serious about it. And I really don’t see it.

Old 04-23-2018, 10:21 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
But the problem is you seem to think there is a royal 'uniform'. That all royal women standing in a line should be dressed in identical style for identicle events. That isn't true, thankfully.

Just because she doesn't wear a coat dress like Kate, Sophie, Anne and Camilla, all but one of whom are significantly older then her, doesn't mean she isn't dressed properly.

All royal women have their own style. She doesn't need an 'English stylist' to turn her into a Kate clone.

Nothing she has worn would be out of place with the likes of Letizia, Chalene, Victoria, or many other royal women.

Meghan looks great. Its not a sundress, despite being sleeveless. It is a great day dress, nicely belted, wonderful flow.

I love hats, but she would have looked out of place here.
Here here! I loved her dress - she looked gorgeous in it. Her makeup was elevated and beautiful and I love her hair. When I wore my hair straight - a loose bun like hers was my go to updo style - because pulling it super tight just made my head look weird, lol. So I get why she's gone for that soft bun - it's softer and softens her face and softens her architectural style.

A tightly pulled back bun might make her architectural style look austere?

I actually have a similar version of her dress - with sleeves. Maybe I might cut the sleeves off, lol. It looked great on her.

Love the whole look today. Meghan's dress game is on point.

As for the sleeveless complaints - meh - going sleeveless just isn't the big deal it used to be in church now.

Old 04-23-2018, 10:33 PM
Imperial Majesty

My only quibble about today is her hair...the messy bun became way to messy, probably due to the windy weather. But the rest of the look was so good I'm not even that concerned about her hair. She's just going to have to figure out how to work her hair in humid/windy conditions.

Austure hair would of been fine for a memorial service.

LaRae
Old 04-23-2018, 10:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by FashionMaven View Post

I think what I love the most about the dress is the fit and the balance between having a shape, but flowy. When I first saw the top, I thought it was a tweed, that’s how much structure it has. But then I saw the bottom, it definitely differentiated the dress. It evened out the harshness some structures dresses can have, added a little bit of softness to the color and the top.
Old 04-24-2018, 12:25 AM
Heir Apparent

A beautiful and massively appropriate dress. 3 hits in a row. She still can't get her hair under control.
I'm shocked people actually refer to this as a sun dress; not having sleeves doesn't make it a sundress.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:20 AM
Nobility

Love love that dress! Maybe she could have carried a light shawl or something to guard against any drafts, but I don't see any big deal about bare arms in church.

Just a small point - some said Diana went baresleeved at Versace's funeral; she did, but she started out wearing a blazer or jacket, and removed it at some point.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:39 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by FashionMaven View Post
Here here! I loved her dress - she looked gorgeous in it. Her makeup was elevated and beautiful and I love her hair. When I wore my hair straight - a loose bun like hers was my go to updo style - because pulling it super tight just made my head look weird, lol. So I get why she's gone for that soft bun - it's softer and softens her face and softens her architectural style.

A tightly pulled back bun might make her architectural style look austere?

I actually have a similar version of her dress - with sleeves. Maybe I might cut the sleeves off, lol. It looked great on her.

As for the sleeveless complaints - meh - going sleeveless just isn't the big deal it used to be in church now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
My only quibble about today is her hair...the messy bun became way to messy, probably due to the windy weather. But the rest of the look was so good I'm not even that concerned about her hair. She's just going to have to figure out how to work her hair in humid/windy conditions.

Austure hair would of been fine for a memorial service.

LaRae
Well FashionMaven and Pranter I have to say you are both on point. As to this sleeveless/sundress deal, whowa I'm just happy if the kids in board shorts are wearing something on their feet! It's church and the doors are open.

Since I think we can now agree that Meghan's go-to updo is a self-done messy bun, I think we can only send her cases of cans of hairspray to try and keep the liberties the wind takes to a minimum.
Old 04-24-2018, 03:55 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvingdoors View Post
When I write “inappropriate” i don’t mean in the sense of... I don’t someone wearing mini skirt or their bathing suit to work; simply inappropriate for her office, and her office now is royal engagements, and as a professional I expect her to dress appropriate for the office.
A summer dress, when everyone in the office is wearing office wear, or high heels when everyone is in flat: is inappropriate.

That’s why I said it once before: she’s in a new country and a new job (where she’s representing the ceo- that be the queen, and company - that be Britain) where the fashion style is different than that of her previous job. She needs to leave the California style outfits for home use and dress more office appropriate when doing royal engagements.
If she doesn’t have the time, patience or knowledge to do it on her own than she obviously should hire a local stylist who understands the local fashion sensibilities, more than that one who understands what is considered appropriate office wear for a royal engagement.

Hopefully my point of view about this topic is properly explained, again.
I absolutely agree with you
Old 04-24-2018, 04:15 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
What’s English about a cardigan?
We invented it !
Old 04-24-2018, 04:55 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
But the problem is you seem to think there is a royal 'uniform'. That all royal women standing in a line should be dressed in identical style for identicle events. That isn't true, thankfully.

Just because she doesn't wear a coat dress like Kate, Sophie, Anne and Camilla, all but one of whom are significantly older then her, doesn't mean she isn't dressed properly.

All royal women have their own style. She doesn't need an 'English stylist' to turn her into a Kate clone.

Nothing she has worn would be out of place with the likes of Letizia, Chalene, Victoria, or many other royal women.

Meghan looks great. Its not a sundress, despite being sleeveless. It is a great day dress, nicely belted, wonderful flow.

I love hats, but she would have looked out of place here.

I give up: i will just say this:
If you just started a new job in a foreign country that has a fashion dress code and sensibilities you are not really familiar with (as you are not local and thus won’t be familiar with them); If everyone at the office is wearing suits, or jackets or flats- and you show up in a sundress, sans jacket, with heels.... it means you are obviously not understanding the company fashion code and thus breaking it. Maybe it’s not as bad as wearing a bathing suit to work, but company dress codes are there for a reason.

Point is: she needs the help and guidance of a local stylist who understands the local fashion and what is appropriate at any given event (because she continues to miscalculate it) if only because for her, the office location (so to say) changes on a regular basis.

Edit: And can we stop bringing up the foreign royals into this discussion? She does not live in Spain or Sweden, those are not the countries which she represents, thus how the royal women there dress can not factor into the discussion.
Old 04-24-2018, 05:07 AM
Serene Highness

I loved her look, seemed appropriate for the occasion. I'm ok with the messy bun, it's Meghan's go to look apparently, and it's not going to change.

I'm absolutely certain, that she has been guided to what to wear, and she's dressing like a royal during engagements should dress. I'm thinking there are some misconceptions of royal dress codes, perhaps built based on other royal ladies personal tastes, not on actual protocol or dress code.
Old 04-24-2018, 05:27 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

I am also sure that Meghan gets advice, not sure if it's the right advice though. I don't mind the hair and like the outfit, but I wouldn't have chosen it on this particular occasion.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:21 AM
Serene Highness

That's the thing though. People are with quite an authority saying, that Meghan needs advice to dress suitably for the royal role. IMHO there's a huge difference in saying, that her way to dress isn't suitable for a royal vs that her dress style isn't up to ones personal tastes or choices.

IMHO she is receiving advice on how to dress to the royal role, and her outfits are seen suitable by the advisors, who have knowledge, or she simply would dress differently. Others are saying, that her style is unsuitable for a royal, and she needs advice on this.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:32 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvingdoors View Post
I give up: i will just say this:
If you just started a new job in a foreign country that has a fashion dress code and sensibilities you are not really familiar with (as you are not local and thus won’t be familiar with them); If everyone at the office is wearing suits, or jackets or flats- and you show up in a sundress, sans jacket, with heels.... it means you are obviously not understanding the company fashion code and thus breaking it. Maybe it’s not as bad as wearing a bathing suit to work, but company dress codes are there for a reason.

Point is: she needs the help and guidance of a local stylist who understands the local fashion and what is appropriate at any given event (because she continues to miscalculate it) if only because for her, the office location (so to say) changes on a regular basis.

Edit: And can we stop bringing up the foreign royals into this discussion? She does not live in Spain or Sweden, those are not the countries which she represents, thus how the royal women there dress can not factor into the discussion.
ITA with you evolvingdoors, but don't spin your wheels trying to get your point across, it's just frustrating IMO. I get it and a few others do, too, but there are some whose eyes you will never open. BTW, your analogy of company dress code is spot on.

I think that she has 'advisers', and I think that most if not all of them are her usual entourage of young Americans and Canadians who tell her nothing but how marvelous and perfect she is. I do not think she is getting subjective/critical advise, which she could definitely use IMO. I've said it before, she needs to find a Catherine Quinn type, she's done wonders for Kate, maybe she has a colleague she could send Meg's way. She needs to find a hair stylist stat, too.

I don't think we'll see any real changes until after the wedding, which is fine and understandable, but once the honeymoon is over and the real work starts Meghan needs to step it up. She's got it in her to hit it out of the ballpark almost every time (no one is perfect). All JMO
Old 04-24-2018, 08:47 AM
Serene Highness

I find these 'there are some who's eyes will never open' comments really unnecessary. We are all here just exchanging our opinions, none of us have any more knowledge than others, and no ones eyes need to be opened.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator

I do think that Meghan is facing a bit of a learning curve in terms of dressing for the occasion. Every woman who has married into a royal family faces this, and it is especially striking when you take a look back at how CP Mary, or Letizia, or the Countess of Wessex, or even the Duchess of Cambridge started out. All of them had some major what-on-earth-was-she-thinking moments, as well as some events where there was just something slightly off about their choices, and I think that is what we are seeing with Meghan.

Personally, I loved the dress she wore yesterday, but the lack of sleeves was a bit jarring, and when you have to laboriously search for 2(!) members of the choir to find anyone else wearing a sleeveless dress, that tells you that she might have been better served by the addition of a blazer or a dress with sleeves. Is it a huge deal? Not in my opinion, but I also see it as a sign that she might not have really internalized some of the subtleties of dressing for her new job.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:06 AM
Serene Highness

I counted about 7 women in sleeveless dresses in the service, some of them on the podium giving a speech or something. Personally I haven't seen any 'what was she thinking' dresses or outfits on Meghan, and I actually hope she keeps her own style and dresses as she has so far.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:20 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I will be the first to tell anyone that the world of fashion and designers and all that comes with it is something that is pretty alien to me. I'm not overly interested in it until something really stands out like Princess Beatrice's hat at the Cambridge wedding.

I don't find anything particularly off about anything that Meghan wears at all and I would wager the majority of the public could care less what she's wearing but rather care about what she is doing. Meghan seems to dress in a way that will blend into the crowds and not stand out in a "look at me" fashion. I like this because the last thing the royal family needs is another clothes horse. None of the female working royals are attempting to do this or showcase their fashions but dress in a comfortable, unobtrusive way and put the importance of where they are at the forefront.

Those that expected Meghan to appear in clothes that would be more suitable for a red carpet in Hollywood or on a fashion runway are in for a disappointment. Those that expect her to "conform" to a working royal wardrobe, I feel, will also be disappointed as each royal woman finds her own stride and her own style in what she wears. After the wedding, we most definitely will see a step up in things though as she will have a wardrobe allowance from Charles just as Kate does now.

http://people.com/royals/meghan-mark...-free-clothes/
Old 04-24-2018, 09:42 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
I do think that Meghan is facing a bit of a learning curve in terms of dressing for the occasion. Every woman who has married into a royal family faces this, and it is especially striking when you take a look back at how CP Mary, or Letizia, or the Countess of Wessex, or even the Duchess of Cambridge started out. All of them had some major what-on-earth-was-she-thinking moments, as well as some events where there was just something slightly off about their choices, and I think that is what we are seeing with Meghan.

Personally, I loved the dress she wore yesterday, but the lack of sleeves was a bit jarring, and when you have to laboriously search for 2(!) members of the choir to find anyone else wearing a sleeveless dress, that tells you that she might have been better served by the addition of a blazer or a dress with sleeves. Is it a huge deal? Not in my opinion, but I also see it as a sign that she might not have really internalized some of the subtleties of dressing for her new job.
I was the one that brought up the ladies in the choir, and no, it wasn't laborious. One look at a photo was all it took. There are multiple guests also wearing sleeveless or even flat out off the shoulders outfit. I only pointed out the ladies in the choir because they were sitting up front where everyone can see them very clearly, and given their role, I would assume they would understand what is appropriate for the church. Clearly, sleeveless was appropriate.

As for those that said her dressing is inappropriate for royal. Who are we to say that? I would think Her Majesty ultimately determines if it's inappropriate. If it is, she and her advisers will say something. Just because we are used royal ladies dressing a certain way, it doesn't mean that's where the line is drawn by the royals themselves. Just because they've chosen to dress a certain way, doesn't mean Meghan has to. Especially given the fact that there is only one other person in her age group in this regard. So to say it's what's royal appropriate is a far stretch. It might be what you'd prefer a royal to wear, but let's not mix personal preference and thoughts on royal dressing with what's appropriate.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:01 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy- View Post
ITA with you evolvingdoors, but don't spin your wheels trying to get your point across, it's just frustrating IMO. I get it and a few others do, too, but there are some whose eyes you will never open. BTW, your analogy of company dress code is spot on.

I think that she has 'advisers', and I think that most if not all of them are her usual entourage of young Americans and Canadians who tell her nothing but how marvelous and perfect she is. I do not think she is getting subjective/critical advise, which she could definitely use IMO. I've said it before, she needs to find a Catherine Quinn type, she's done wonders for Kate, maybe she has a colleague she could send Meg's way. She needs to find a hair stylist stat, too.

I don't think we'll see any real changes until after the wedding, which is fine and understandable, but once the honeymoon is over and the real work starts Meghan needs to step it up. She's got it in her to hit it out of the ballpark almost every time (no one is perfect). All JMO
I think what I'm trying to understand is on what authority are people in this thread saying that she's not dressing correctly for her "new office" so to speak?

Maybe - just maybe - the Monarchy is attempting to modernize a bit? If she was dressing inappropriately I'm sure she has advisors to tell her this?

I mean - she clearly wore stockings when in the presence of the Queen - which indicates that she definitely has advisors.

Since she's wearing a (wide) sleeveless dress, I think that also indicates that her advisors (and the actual arbiters of the "royal uniform" that some here seem to think they alone understand) don't see a problem with it and haven't asked her not to wear it.

We don't know if something is happening behind closed doors where the Monarchy is actively attempting to shed some of its "stuffiness".

Hell - we don't even know if the Monarchy has a thing against sleeveless in a church memorial service?

Maybe they have evolved with the times and "we" need to update our idea of "the royal uniform"?

I wear sleeveless dresses in church. So does half the congregation - and we are casket sharp for our services, lol.

Closed Thread