The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 03:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
Except when it is a "working" engagement as a member of the BRF she will be photographed, the photos will be sent around the world and saved for all eternity. She no longer has the luxury of just wearing whatever she wants to a "working" engagement.
And she hasn't looked unacceptable for photographs that will be saved for eternity. So I say she should go for what she wants.

Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Interesting...feedback on twitter, even her big supporters are probably the most upset I've seen them over yesterday's outfit (Eugenie's getting it too) ...Even podsavethequeen program carefully (mildly) criticized some parts of her outfit.

LaRae
I can totally understand criticisms around the bustline and neckline of the dress. Not my fave part of the outfit, though I really liked it altogether, oddly enough. The sum total added up to more than the individual parts - for me at least. I think Iím alone in that thought though - I thought most folks here liked the individual pieces - just not together?

Iím so contrary lol.

Courtier

Skipping ahead of the kerfuffle to say that I LOVE Meghan's evening look! That silhouette is perfect for her height and figure. The shoes are perfect too. Love the ankle strap.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
When someone says 'she needs a stylist' what do you think they mean? I have no idea what you are getting at here. Is it not possible they just mean she needs a stylist?

LaRae
When people keep saying she needs a stylist for the most informal engagements? I'm assuming they want some perfect outfit for every little engagement. Otherwise, why would you need a stylist?
Old 04-19-2018, 03:50 PM
Courtier

Quote:
This is the dress she's wearing: https://rstyle.me/~cz-aqOYl Misidentified early on as a R.M. dress.

LaRae
I know it wasn’t RM - that’s why I said it was a Rouland Mouret STYLE dress. It’s an off brand version of his style.

I was mostly trying to tie the style back to Meghan’s style because she used to work with Roland back during her time on Suits.

I kept wondering why we didn’t see more of his influence in her royal style and was beginning to believe some of the theories people posited: that she was dressed by others and had no input - which I found hard to believe.

I think the reality is that she’s been trying so hard to pay homage and merge that with her style that she’s stumbled once or twice. But now that she’s relaxing into her previous style hits she’s doing better.

That’s the theory I’m gonna go with for now.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:54 PM
Aristocracy

Yesterday's outfit was a big boxy miss (in my opinion), but this one I like. A nice, polished overall look! A classy dress with a nice updo, and the shoes match the dress quite nicely. The only thing I'd like to nitpick about is that in some pictures you can see her bra straps, perhaps a tiny bit of tayloring for the sleeve openings would fix it?
Old 04-19-2018, 03:55 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
When people keep saying she needs a stylist for the most informal meetings? I'm assuming they want some perfect outfit for every little engagement. Otherwise, why would you need a stylist?

Because maybe some folks think (myself included more recently) after seeing her look for several engagements it wouldn't hurt her to get some input. It has nothing to do with being perfect. Rarely do any of them look perfect.

We have differing ideas about the importance of CHOGM or maybe the other events at least some of them. The specific thing they did yesterday may have been more casual (business dress not required) that doesn't mean it wasn't a more formal event. CHOGM is a pretty weighty occasion ..probably the last time the Queen will attend in her lifetime.

She's not representing Meghan. She's representing the BRF.

LaRae
Old 04-19-2018, 03:57 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
When people keep saying she needs a stylist for the most informal engagements? I'm assuming they want some perfect outfit for every little engagement. Otherwise, why would you need a stylist?
Because they obviously don't think she dresses that great and wish for her to improve. Is that hard to understand? Again, for the 800th time, some people like her style, some don't. Some like some of her outfits. Some don't. No one is wrong or right. Some hope a stylist will improve what they see as shortcomings in dress sense. Some believe she doesn't need help.

You may agree or disagree. But there's a group of people here who loudly proclaim that any dislike of her outfits are unwarranted and must be because of some deeper reason than simply being a matter of opinion on what looks good or what doesn't.

In my opinion, she's hit or miss. Tonight being a hit. She looks great IMHO.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by FashionMaven View Post
I can totally understand criticisms around the bustline and neckline of the dress. Not my fave part of the outfit, though I really liked it altogether, oddly enough. The sum total added up to more than the individual parts - for me at least. I think Iím alone in that thought though - I thought most folks here liked the individual pieces - just not together?

Iím so contrary lol.

I liked yesterdays dress! Until she took the jacket off! Then while I still liked the dress for me it took a finished 'outfit' or look and kinda messed it up. When I first saw her I was like YES! I don't think she took into account it would not be easy to move around with it on her shoulders....or that's my theory!

LaRae

Quote:
I know it wasnít RM - thatís why I said it was a Rouland Mouret STYLE dress. Itís an off brand version of his style.

Was that not clear?

No sorry..I misread the wording!

LaRae
Old 04-19-2018, 04:04 PM
Courtier

Quote:
No sorry..I misread the wording!

LaRae
No problem! I think we are all on edge today, lol. I edited my post to add more clarity in any case,

I really do love her outfit today though. And her hair is really pretty.
Old 04-19-2018, 04:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tihkon2 View Post
Because they obviously don't think she dresses that great and wish for her to improve. Is that hard to understand? Again, for the 800th time, some people like her style, some don't. Some like some of her outfits. Some don't. No one is wrong or right. Some hope a stylist will improve what they see as shortcomings in dress sense. Some believe she doesn't need help.

You may agree or disagree. But there's a group of people here who loudly proclaim that any dislike of her outfits are unwarranted and must be because of some deeper reason than simply being a matter of opinion on what looks good or doesn't.
And for the 800th time, I have no issues with people have different opinions on fashion, but some of the comments have gone well beyond fair fashion criticism. And it's exhausting for some of us. There are days that I really wanted to talk fashion, but then I come in here and I see some of those comments, and I just decide you know what, it's not worth my time. There is a difference between saying her dress yesterday wasn't the most flattering bust line for her body type or me saying the Sandringham outfit wasn't that good because it just didn't feel like Meghan to every outfit she's worn so far is a disappointment. There is just as loud of a group, if not louder in this thread, that will simply hate on the clothes simply because of the woman wearing it. Especially when I can see a username and predict what they will say 99% of the time.

But obviously, this conversation has gone well above and beyond what my original comment was about, which is we should not conflate the role with the clothes. And no, I'm not accusing you of doing it. It was a general observation of some of the comments I've seen and something I wanted to point out as not right.
Old 04-19-2018, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

a very pretty dress she looks beautiful tonight.
i think she have very intersting and lovely shoes collection
Old 04-19-2018, 04:10 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
No problem! I think we are all on edge today, lol. I edited my post to add more clarity in any case,

I really do love her outfit today though. And her hair is really pretty.

Me too! I'm just going to ignore the shoe closure since it's so minor. The overall look is great! The hair is probably my favorite way she's done it so far.

LaRAe
Old 04-19-2018, 04:10 PM
Administrator

As we are once again back to the discussion about the discussion: Please stay on topic of this thread instead of starting the same old arguments over and over again! Thank you!
Old 04-19-2018, 04:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mademoiselle Lilo View Post
a very pretty dress she looks beautiful tonight.
i think she have very intersting and lovely shoes collection
I will say that I've been enjoying the strappy shoes even though I wear more pumps myself. She's got the legs that can pull of the below the knee dress with straps that will go above the ankle (it is not a easy look to pull off if one doesn't have very skinny legs).
Old 04-19-2018, 04:13 PM
Courtier

I’m meh about yesterday outfit. Though to be fair that may have been her only monochrome outfit I liked in broad strokes.
I tried to figure out why I wasn’t sold about the outfit until someone pointed out how Hollywood the draped jacket made the outfit look.
Without it, the dress looked out of place, it actually looked like a mismatched skirt and top.
I loved the neckline! But too many buttons (as someone pointed out), and the flapping straps in the back made that section look like a sailor boy shirt (i’m Not sure if that is the correct term for that specific style).
The skirt part was perfect, except the slit, I think it would have been better if it had been sawn closed.
I can see the skirt part alone with a nice top, or just the top part with a block color skirt or pants.
That outfit needed a proper blazer at all times.
Loved the bag, but it was unneeded- she has pockets and a PA to carry her bag.
The shoes were pretty but I pumps or low heeled kitten would have been better.
Instead of the belt that was on the dress she should have used a thick waist leather belt.
It also needed some hemming work around the bust.

So yea the dress is pretty, very Californian-Hollywood style, but it could have worked for the event with a few changes. A well versed stylist could have helped her really round up the outfit.

Regarding tonight’s outfit: yes to the cut, no to the color. She actually looks like she’s going to a funeral- one of the dangers of wearing all black.
First I have to say black halo is one of my favorite brands!. Their dresses are always amazing, I own one which was purchased for my sister wedding 7 years ago. Many of their items are very office appropriate. The dress she has tonight? That’s the kind of general cut that works for royal engagement (imo).
It’s a shame she went for the black one, when the red or blue one would have looked so much better.
Good choice on the belt.
Yes to the hair being up. I continue to hope she’ll stop straightening it and allow her curls to run free. I’ll be even more happy if we’ll see more white strands - indicating she has stopped coloring her hair.
I think the shoes she has tonight are the same from yesterday? They fit tonight outfit much better.
Old 04-19-2018, 04:14 PM
Aristocracy

That LBD is a hit for me.
Love the whole look from head to toe.
Old 04-19-2018, 04:35 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by tihkon2 View Post
If this stylist’s purpose is to polish her clothing selection according to Meghan’s style aesthetic and help her have less misses when she’s trying to pay homage to the localities she visits then cool. Let’s find a stylist.

But if the stylist is to force her into some version of Princess Barbie, then no thanks - I don't think she needs a stylist for that and would prefer one that specializes in Meghan's own aesthetic.

Quote:
In my opinion, she's hit or miss. Tonight being a hit. She looks great IMHO.
I think she hits a lot more when she’s not trying to pay homage with pieces she likely wouldn’t have picked for herself. When she’s at a “general” event her looks have been on point. IMO.
Old 04-19-2018, 04:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvingdoors View Post
I’m meh about yesterday outfit. Though to be fair that may have been her only monochrome outfit I liked in broad strokes.
I tried to figure out why I wasn’t sold about the outfit until someone pointed out how Hollywood the draped jacket made the outfit look.
Without it, the dress looked out of place, it actually looked like a mismatched skirt and top.
I loved the neckline! But too many buttons (as someone pointed out), and the flapping straps in the back made that section look like a sailor boy shirt (i’m Not sure if that is the correct term for that specific style).
The skirt part was perfect, except the slit, I think it would have been better if it had been sawn closed.
I can see the skirt part alone with a nice top, or just the top part with a block color skirt or pants.
That outfit needed a proper blazer at all times.
Loved the bag, but it was unneeded- she has pockets and a PA to carry her bag.
The shoes were pretty but I pumps or low heeled kitten would have been better.
Instead of the belt that was on the dress she should have used a thick waist leather belt.
It also needed some hemming work around the bust.

So yea the dress is pretty, very Californian-Hollywood style, but it could have worked for the event with a few changes. A well versed stylist could have helped her really round up the outfit.

Regarding tonight’s outfit: yes to the cut, no to the color. She actually looks like she’s going to a funeral- one of the dangers of wearing all black.
First I have to say black halo is one of my favorite brands!. Their dresses are always amazing, I own one which was purchased for my sister wedding 7 years ago. Many of their items are very office appropriate. The dress she has tonight? That’s the kind of general cut that works for royal engagement (imo).
It’s a shame she went for the black one, when the red or blue one would have looked so much better.
Good choice on the belt.
Yes to the hair being up. I continue to hope she’ll stop straightening it and allow her curls to run free. I’ll be even more happy if we’ll see more white strands - indicating she has stopped coloring her hair.
I think the shoes she has tonight are the same from yesterday? They fit tonight outfit much better.
I agree with many of your observations on yesterday's outfit.

I disagree about today's dress looking funereal. It looks like a cocktail dress to me. She looks very nice.
Old 04-19-2018, 04:37 PM
Nobility

Loving the updo. Finally! The dress fits her perfectly. I would have wished for a wee pop of color in the accessories but that is just my personal taste. She looks like she feels how good this dress is on her.

Closed Thread