The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 01:37 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
You don't have to like it, but it does seem fashion takes a lot more attention than the actually substance of the job for women compared to men. Quite frankly, I've seen people here saying the job seems to be a lot harder than she thought or that they don't see the advantage of her past helping her adapt to the job like some of us have suggested simply because they haven't agreed with her fashion styles.

The whole point of fashion threads is to discuss fashion. If it's upsetting or folks think it doesn't empower women when we focused on how women look then why participate in a fashion thread? Men are boring about fashion this is why that thread moves so slow and groups the whole lot of them together. If they were still dressing like the French Court in heels, hose and bright colors then there'd be more to discuss.

"People here"...that's a rather broad and subjective term. From what I have seen very FEW people here have said 'the job is harder than she thought' etc.. in all these pages of talking about what Meghan is wearing.

Sometimes folks are just trying to work out why she is dressing like X ...the conversation is out loud instead of in their head only.

LaRae

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
Inevitably there will be such a range amongst the attendees, but since it was clearly of great importance to those that 'went to the trouble' of organising it, this important attendee might have tried and 'look the part'.. she didn't, she looked unco-ordinated and hence something of a 'let-down'.
Hmmm I have wondered, do you think she is trying to dress to match the group she's meeting with?

Maybe this is why she's not looking the 'part' as some expect out of women in the BRF.

LaRae

Pics are in (Twitter) Meghan is in a black dress this evening

LaRae

Except her shoes (not a fan of that closure) I really like the dress. Her hair is up. Really I like the whole look except that one thing.

LaRae

Old 04-19-2018, 01:50 PM
Imperial Majesty

From twitter

https://twitter.com/RoyalReporter/st...23516213088256

https://twitter.com/LadyParky79/stat...24824819040256

https://twitter.com/byEmilyAndrews/s...24286178250752

She looks fantastic. Love the dress, and her hair up.

Old 04-19-2018, 01:59 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Direct Image: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/20...4159788098.jpg

It is a Black Halo Jacki O Belted Dress RRP £260.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:04 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post

Yes this is one of my top 3 looks so far!

LaRae
Old 04-19-2018, 02:17 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Yes this is one of my top 3 looks so far!

LaRae
I love this look! Nothing like a LBD!!!!!
Old 04-19-2018, 02:19 PM
Nobility

Quote:
The whole point of fashion threads is to discuss fashion.
Exactly. This is getting ridiculous. If one doesn't like Meghan's outfit for some function or another, one has to be lectured or second guessed on their motives.

Edited to add, in my opinion she looks very pretty tonight. I like the whole outfit.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Can't really go wrong with a LBD. Those heels are delicious.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The whole point of fashion threads is to discuss fashion. If it's upsetting or folks think it doesn't empower women when we focused on how women look then why participate in a fashion thread? Men are boring about fashion this is why that thread moves so slow and groups the whole lot of them together. If they were still dressing like the French Court in heels, hose and bright colors then there'd be more to discuss.

"People here"...that's a rather broad and subjective term. From what I have seen very FEW people here have said 'the job is harder than she thought' etc.. in all these pages of talking about what Meghan is wearing.

Sometimes folks are just trying to work out why she is dressing like X ...the conversation is out loud instead of in their head only.

LaRae
Did you not see the part I said about conflating the role with the clothes? The comments about her being disappointing in the role so far hasn't been limited to this thread. I think it's fine to talk about fashion, as Meghan herself has said in the past, sometimes people notice someone or place because of it. So if you have that platform, you can talk to them about clothes and make up and such, but also talk about issues that you hope to draw attention to using that platform. I just get irritated when the clothes makes up so much of what these women are trying to do. Or somehow, every time they step out needs to be a fashion show or it becomes overly critical.

But anyways, bracing myself for the comments about her wearing black again tonight and how disappointing that is.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:39 PM
Imperial Majesty

Try reading the comments jacqui...everyone so far that has commented loves the overall look tonight. A LBD to an evening event is kinda normal.

It's a fashion thread...of course the predominant discussion is on how she looks. She is going to be expected anytime she's 'working' to look a certain way and it's going to be talked about at length. If you find this annoying or irritating then why are you in a fashion discussion?

Her platform or cause would be a separate issue.

LaRae
Old 04-19-2018, 02:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Try reading the comments jacqui...everyone so far that has commented loves the overall look tonight. A LBD to an evening event is kinda normal.

It's a fashion thread...of course the predominant discussion is on how she looks. She is going to be expected anytime she's 'working' to look a certain way and it's going to be talked about at length. If you find this annoying or irritating then why are you in a fashion discussion?

Her platform or cause would be a separate issue.

LaRae
I've read the comments. I've read them since this relationship came to light. I've got no problem with fashion. In fact, FashionMaven and I have had pretty extensive conversations from a fashion perspective. Even when we disagree on things. As I said, my comment is not limited to only what's been said in here. And there seems to be difficulties in understanding that not every "working" engagement is going to include a red carpet styled outfit. There are going to be outfits where she just wears what she wants, and it's not intended to be a fashion statement. It might be just fine, and not great. Hardly a disappointment.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:53 PM
Nobility

I love the look.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:55 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Did you not see the part I said about conflating the role with the clothes? The comments about her being disappointing in the role so far hasn't been limited to this thread. I think it's fine to talk about fashion, as Meghan herself has said in the past, sometimes people notice someone or place because of it. So if you have that platform, you can talk to them about clothes and make up and such, but also talk about issues that you hope to draw attention to using that platform. I just get irritated when the clothes makes up so much of what these women are trying to do. Or somehow, every time they step out needs to be a fashion show or it becomes overly critical.

But anyways, bracing myself for the comments about her wearing black again tonight and how disappointing that is.
You and I are on the same page. I can take the flack Meghan gets for some outfits. What bothers me is the declaration that because she’s not wearing the “royal uniform” that apparently only folks on this board are the arbiters of, then Meghan isn’t doing her job or realizing who she’s representing.

That’s my issue and I’ve said it before. It reminds me of the tan suit debacle - people leapt to declaring that Obama wasn’t taking his job seriously because he strayed from some mysterious hidden super secret and unknown dress code rule that no one had ever heard of before. But like Meghan, Obama strayed from some “accepted presidential uniform” that certain people had declared was “the uniform”. The flack has been similar. Declaring the wearer isn’t taking his/her role seriously or that they don’t get that they represent “their country”.

I both loved and didn’t love Meghan’s outfit yesterday. I actually liked them better together than separately if that makes sense. I thought the dress was very stylish - as was the jacket (loved it) - but thought the neckline on it wasn’t flattering to her bustline. But I still liked the outfit with all pieces.

But I knew she’d get pilloried for wearing the jacket over her shoulders. Maybe it was hot? But that’s not enough for me to declare that she isn’t taking the job seriously - she was one of the more dressed up people there. She was appropriate. Not liking her style doesn’t make declarations (based on not liking her style) that she’s inappropriate true and immutable fact.

Her outfit today was a perfect little Rouland Mouret style dress with an edgy neckline and sleeves. She’s worn similar ones before. It made me happy because it’s a dress that is perfect as a royal BUT it has edge and personality so it retains a fashion forward edge. She avoids looking “mum”-ish. Yay!!

I actually think that some of Meghan’s missteps with fashion (I can only count 2 fairly) have been with her trying so hard to align with British brands indigenous to the areas she’s visiting. Or where the clothing seems slightly off for the season (like the too long thin pants and slightly summery dresses). She should be applauded for that though - especially being so focused on showcasing British brands.

This black dress though is probably vintage Meghan and now that she’s made the rounds she’ll settle more into her main style. The Ireland outfit, where she was more subtle in her homage worked sooo well. The others before that were harder for her I think.

I expect that occasions where she can just dress without having to pay so much homage will be smoother. When she’s got constraints like using local shops, etc, she has to do it by trial and error.

I have to say I visited the thread after the pinstripe outfit with a bowl of popcorn just to enjoy the weeping and gnashing of teeth.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:55 PM
Courtier

I thought I would never be able to say this...but finally, I can: a very nice outfit from had to toe!
Old 04-19-2018, 02:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Yes. Generally, I don't always make direct comments on anyone's post at the time they make their post, but in one's overall reading one susses out a trend of thinking (maybe a minor trend but there) that one decides to pull into a post one constructs later on. The thread of thought one incorporates in a post may have that larger context. Just saying.

I also agree regarding every event needing to be a fashion statement. I don't think it should be so.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:12 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I've read the comments. I've read them since this relationship came to light. I've got no problem with fashion. In fact, FashionMaven and I have had pretty extensive conversations from a fashion perspective. Even when we disagree on things. As I said, my comment is not limited to only what's been said in here. And there seems to be difficulties in understanding that not every "working" engagement is going to include a red carpet styled outfit. There are going to be outfits where she just wears what she wants, and it's not intended to be a fashion statement. It might be just fine, and not great. Hardly a disappointment.
Great that you an FM have this agreement or similar view..okay and that has nothing to do with what I'm talking about.

If your comments are not about here or include other venues then perhaps you should make that clear? Because when you make these comments how are we to know what you are referring to?

No one I have seen here has said they expect her every look to be red carpet. Yes there are times she wears what she wants and just like other members of the BRF that do it, if it doesn't work folks will comment on it. Why is this a problem to do the same about Meghan?

LaRae

Quote:
Originally Posted by FashionMaven View Post
You and I are on the same page. I can take the flack Meghan gets for some outfits. What bothers me is the declaration that because she’s not wearing the “royal uniform” that apparently only folks on this board are the arbiters of, then Meghan isn’t doing her job or realizing who she’s representing.

That’s my issue and I’ve said it before. It reminds me of the tan suit debacle - people leapt to declaring that Obama wasn’t taking his job seriously because he strayed from some mysterious hidden super secret and unknown dress code rule that no one had ever heard of before. But like Meghan, Obama strayed from some “accepted presidential uniform” that certain people had declared was “the uniform”. The flack has been similar. Declaring the wearer isn’t taking his/her role seriously or that they don’t get that they represent “their country”.

I both loved and didn’t love Meghan’s outfit yesterday. I actually liked them better together than separately if that makes sense. I thought the dress was very stylish - as was the jacket (loved it) - but thought the neckline on it wasn’t flattering to her bustline. But I still liked the outfit with all pieces.

But I knew she’d get pilloried for wearing the jacket over her shoulders. Maybe it was hot? But that’s not enough for me to declare that she isn’t taking the job seriously - she was one of the more dressed up people there. She was appropriate. Not liking her style doesn’t make declarations (based on not liking her style) that she’s inappropriate true and immutable fact.

Her outfit today was a perfect little Rouland Mouret style dress with an edgy neckline and sleeves. She’s worn similar ones before. It made me happy because it’s a dress that is perfect as a royal BUT it has edge and personality so it retains a fashion forward edge. She avoids looking “mum”-ish. Yay!!

I actually think that some of Meghan’s missteps with fashion (I can only count 2 fairly) have been with her trying so hard to align with British brands indigenous to the areas she’s visiting. Or where the clothing seems slightly off for the season (like the too long thin pants and slightly summery dresses). She should be applauded for that though - especially being so focused on showcasing British brands.

This black dress though is probably vintage Meghan and now that she’s made the rounds she’ll settle more into her main style. The Ireland outfit, where she was more subtle in her homage worked sooo well. The others before that were harder for her I think.

I expect that occasions where she can just dress without having to pay so much homage will be smoother. When she’s got constraints like using local shops, etc, she has to do it by trial and error.

I have to say I visited the thread after the pinstripe outfit with a bowl of popcorn just to enjoy the weeping and gnashing of teeth.
This is the dress she's wearing: https://rstyle.me/~cz-aqOYl Misidentified early on as a R.M. dress.

LaRae
Old 04-19-2018, 03:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Great that you an FM have this agreement or similar view..okay and that has nothing to do with what I'm talking about.

If your comments are not about here or include other venues then perhaps you should make that clear? Because when you make these comments how are we to know what you are referring to?

No one I have seen here has said they expect her every look to be red carpet. Yes there are times she wears what she wants and just like other members of the BRF that do it, if it doesn't work folks will comment on it. Why is this a problem to do the same about Meghan?

LaRae
In no way was I talking about FM and I have similar views. I'm just saying we can have a discussion about fashion and not go into Meghan needs to do this or that or that she's not taking her role seriously or her outfits are such a disappointment route. At that point, it no longer is an interesting conversation about fashion and is just exhausting to read day after day when all I come into a fashion thread is for discussion on fashion.

And I'm a firm believer in that you don't have to say things explicitly. If something is said over and over again as a negative aspect, or it's stated again and again that she needs a stylist for the less formal events, we know what that means.

As for other members of BRF, I don't know much about what happens in those threads as I don't care enough to wonder into them often. However, I share the same view that the issues these women choose to champion is much more important than their fashion. I will say that I've always wondered how these women's hair always look like they've just came from the hairdresser. I mean, if they have a 8AM engagement, what time do they have to get up to get ready for it? I thought that was kind of exhausting, but never cared enough to ask.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Not sure why that is necessary. It's not really possible to be fully cognizant of every nuance of every thread of thinking brought up on one thread, let alone keep the threads distinguished from each other. People generalize all the time, but more importantly, many (and I am one such) am not addressing myself to individuals but to ideas. Of course I sometimes engage in playful banter, and especially if I 'know' someone from pm conversations, but overall it has always seemed to me better not to make these posts personal. You may not agree but it keeps things clear of personal offense and what not. JMO.

Quote:
No one I have seen here has said they expect her every look to be red carpet.
You may not have seen it but every poster is not obliged to defend their views in that way (I don't think). Maybe I am missing a subtlety but I think it's okay for posters to broadly address issues/impressions they may have garnered from postings here on TRF and from news articles and comments taking place there. Why not?

Quote:
Yes there are times she wears what she wants and just like other members of the BRF that do it, if it doesn't work folks will comment on it. Why is this a problem to do the same about Meghan? LaRae
The poster must answer for themselves (if they choose to engage you) since you are directing your comments pointedly to them, but when I read this I don't think that is what they are saying. JMO.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
In no way was I talking about FM and I have similar views. I'm just saying we can have a discussion about fashion and not go into Meghan needs to do this or that or that she's not taking her role seriously or her outfits are such a disappointment route. At that point, it no longer is an interesting conversation about fashion and is just exhausting to read day after day when all I come into a fashion thread is for discussion on fashion.

And I'm a firm believer in that you don't have to say things explicitly. If something is said over and over again as a negative aspect, or it's stated again and again that she needs a stylist for the less formal events, we know what that means.
I agree. Well said.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
And there seems to be difficulties in understanding that not every "working" engagement is going to include a red carpet styled outfit. There are going to be outfits where she just wears what she wants, and it's not intended to be a fashion statement. It might be just fine, and not great. Hardly a disappointment.
Except when it is a "working" engagement as a member of the BRF she will be photographed, the photos will be sent around the world and saved for all eternity. She no longer has the luxury of just wearing whatever she wants to a work engagement and possibly being under the radar.

Meghan doesn't need to make a fashion statement everytime, just be appropriate (and no, not styled like her future sister-in-law or aunts, just styled like herself) for the occasion. Sometimes that means the BRF are a little dressier than the attendees.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:44 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:

As for other members of BRF, I don't know much about what happens in those threads as I don't care enough to wonder into them often. However, I share the same view that the issues these women choose to champion is much more important than their fashion. I will say that I've always wondered how these women's hair always look like they've just came from the hairdresser. I mean, if they have a 8AM engagement, what time do they have to get up to get ready for it? I thought that was kind of exhausting, but never cared enough to ask.
When someone says 'she needs a stylist' what do you think they mean? I have no idea what you are getting at here. Is it not possible they just mean she needs a stylist?

LaRae

Closed Thread