Meghan Markle's Fashion and Style Part 1: November 2017 - May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
9Outfit #1: didnt like the coat. Didnt hate it either but the fit was off for me. Meghan has worn flowy /loose coats before & I liked them (most of my own are a similar style). I think the issue I have with this one is that it "appears" fitted but its not. Thus making it look too big & ill-fitting. The hat & shoes I liked.

2nd Outfit: it actually does not photograph well. I was on the fence when I saw pics but its much better in motion. Liked it better once I saw a video.
Its very chic.

Last edited:
I’m a happy fashion lover today.
She nailed them- though i’m unsure about the padora, but i’ll Let it slide!
In fact I think that black dress would have worked so well for the memorial.

And being a short but super petite thin waist woman myself, I adore cropped jackets, the dress is figure hugging in a good way (tight but not too tight) and the cropped jacket helps make the outfit event appropriate.

If she did these herself she’s learning- but I think she had outside help with these (maybe even whomever is styling Catherine, since Catherine is not gonna be working in the next couple of months perhaps they thought (maybe there was comments about a couple of her recent outfits) it be a good idea to have Meghan use her services full time for the time being and help tighten up her look.
Either way i’m gonna wait until the next walkabout slot of engagements to see if any, much needed, changes were made or if this just special tightening for special events.

The first outfit (gray coat with fedora). The coat is a tad too big in the shoulders and the button and pockets are a little too much together, but the hat is lovely and her hair is out of her face. Definitely an improvement, but still little things for me.
The second outfit is very lovely, but I'm not sure that the short waisted coat is a winner for Meghan, she is a very petite woman and this outfit, IMO, makes her look bigger than she actually is. I will say that all in all she looks lovely for this service and the length of the skirt is a good one for Meghan.

From what I have seen of her so far, for the most part Meghan does not wear her clothes...her clothes wear her. She is very slim but does not have the added benefit of height, so it's easy for her to appear swamped in her outfits.

However I suspect this will correct itself as she gets more and more into managing to dress stylish AND Royal, an art perfected by her late mother-in-law. Most of all I want her to find her own "look" and not copy anyone.

She is spectacularly beautiful(imo) and that is her great advantage.;)

I loved the grey double breasted coat. The black skirt outfit not at all.:sad:

I’m a happy fashion lover today.
She nailed them- though i’m unsure about the padora, but i’ll Let it slide!
In fact I think that black dress would have worked so well for the memorial.

She would've been freezing as it was at dawn. Judging by the others, this wouldn't have worked. Most of what I can see is that people wore coats instead of jackets or just suits at the dawn service. The sunlight does make a huge difference. I think that might explain why some felt like this was a bulky coat. It is a thick coat, which we are really used to seeing in Spring.

As for those that are now saying she's using someone new. Please realize it's more likely the events are more formal and thus the difference. Most of you hated her outfit at the Youth Forum, that was just two days before the Halo LBD.

Last edited:
I think Meghan should stick to that 'midi' length for skirts and dresses. Her legs are not her best feature so it helps to keep her proportioned IMO.

The grey coat is just awful. It looks like something Charles might have been wearing for the last 40 years.

She would've been freezing as it was at dawn. Judging by the others, this wouldn't have worked. Most of what I can see is that people wore coats instead of jackets or just suits at the dawn service. The sunlight does make a huge difference. I think that might explain why some felt like this was a bulky coat. It is a thick coat, which we are really used to seeing in Spring.

As for those that are now saying she's using someone new. Please realize it's more likely the events are more formal and thus the difference. Most of you hated her outfit at the Youth Forum, that was just two days before the Halo LBD.

Huh?!
The black dress I am referring to is the one with the cropped jacket. Which imo would have also been a great option for the memorial on Monday.

I have no idea what she’s wore under the coat for the early dawn one, I actually liked the coat from the couple pics I saw of her. It’a the pedora I am unsure of.

I didn’t say she’s using one, but that it is an option. For me the Monday memorial as well as the IG eventhis, and the youth forum were all straightforward events outfit wise. I also never said I “hate” the outfits, but that they didn’t worked in those events/that day office

Anyway it’s late so i’m not gonna repeat my previous comments on this matter.

She look great today, especially the second outfit- I hope to see more of that kind of outfit (with or without a hat/Beret).

Huh?!
The black dress I am referring to is the one with the cropped jacket. Which imo would have also been a great option for the memorial on Monday.

I have no idea what she’s wore under the coat for the early dawn one, I actually liked the coat from the couple pics I saw of her. It’a the pedora I am unsure of.

I didn’t say she’s using one, but that it is an option. For me the Monday memorial as well as the IG eventhis, and the youth forum were all straightforward events outfit wise. I also never said I “hate” the outfits, but that they didn’t worked in those events/that day office

Anyway it’s late so i’m not gonna repeat my previous comments on this matter.

She look great today, especially the second outfit- I hope to see more of that kind of outfit (with or without a hat/Beret).

Oh, I thought you meant for the memorial this morning. I was like huh? :lol:

But that would've been a bit too dressy for the memorial on Monday, I feel. I do feel this is fitting for a more formal service at WA, but the dress code overall the memorial on Monday was less formal.

And I wasn't referring to you specifically on the comment about the Youth Forum outfit. It's a comment I consistently noticed today, hence the most of you part.

The black outfit is wonderful and elegant. One of her best looks.

It's really interesting how far afield we all are regarding Meghan's choices. I really don't like her black ensemble and to hear it's actually 'bespoke', good grief! :sad: It's ugly imo, and way too black for my tastes. It's 'appropriate' is all I can give it, like the Christmas outfit/hat, but no more than that.

I really hope Meghan doesn't start aging herself into these frumpy 50's style ensembles to 'fit in'. :huh: Oh well. :flowers:

The black outfit and the dark gray beret with black detail was the best look i've seen from Meghan; just elegant and perfect, hair and all.

I like the material on the black outfit. I like the cropped jacket - but I just don't like the skirt. I don't think any skirt would have helped me like it. I would have liked wide leg pants though instead of a skirt - that would have modernized it for me - but it probably wouldn't have been appropriate for the service.

With the beret and the skirt as she wore it - it skewed too retro for me. But it was still a stylish ensemble - it just didn't agree with my particular aesthetic and it made me a little feel like she was trying to align with some kind of "uniform"... while still adding her aesthetic to it and the result was "off" - at least imo. I don't hate it - I just didn't like it very much.

The coat though and fedora? YES. That was awesome - I see it's a bit polarizing to folks here - but fashion forward looks tend to do that. And maybe the coat skewed too big in the shoulders - but it did it Balmain-style - it's a "look", that exaggerated shoulders look. It's retro too but it worked for me.

Only thing on that coat is that the sleeves are too long. I could see the arms being tailored a bit more - but then if she ever wore anything bulky underneath, they'd get too tight, so I dunno.

Last edited:
It's really interesting how far afield we all are regarding Meghan's choices. I really don't like her black ensemble and to hear it's actually 'bespoke', good grief! :sad: It's ugly imo, and way too black for my tastes. It's 'appropriate' is all I can give it, like the Christmas outfit/hat, but no more than that.

I really hope Meghan doesn't start aging herself into these frumpy 50's style ensembles to 'fit in'. :huh: Oh well. :flowers:

I don't understand "bespoke" when it looks like it was worn by Sophie in 2015

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&r...aw0uZfVNr0ukokJGW6aPUYTk&ust=1524782076507466

Last edited:
I loved the two outfits of the day ! Only 23 days to wait for the big day !

I liked both outfits today but hair still annoys me. Is the hem longer at back or just appears that way
I really liked the second outfit even the hat

I liked both outfits today but hair still annoys me. Is the hem longer at back or just appears that way
I really liked the second outfit even the hat

Well on the coat, the coat hem is slightly longer in the back - retro effect. I don't think the hem is longer on the skirt/jacket combo.

Everyone keeps calling the coat gray but it looks ore blue on my computer.

I find this outfit disappointing. It looks like she has been stalking our board, and decided to try and be 'more British' in style and this was it.

The look is matronly at best. The boxy jacket, and long skirt :sad:

If the dress/skirt was shorter, just above the knee, would be much better. The skirt length isn't bad on its own, but not with the little bolero jacket. The proportions don't work together, and makes her look extremely boxy. If she had a shorter skirt, she could have looked much more sleek.

I love the hat, its the one thing that gives a more fashion forward touch to the look.

Shorter skirt, maybe a modern necklace, the look would have been 10 times better.

Her look this morning was far better.

The Grey and black combo was rather pleasing and they balanced well. The coat is a little big but she isn't swimming in it. I think the beret looks amazing and I hope she wears more hats like that, additionally the black outfit and beret is a rare time when her hair looks immaculate. Looks like she brushed it and put in some product.
The actual black outfit I will not comment on...

Last edited:
With the beret and the skirt as she wore it - it skewed too retro for me. But it was still a stylish ensemble - it just didn't agree with my particular aesthetic and it made me a little feel like she was trying to align with some kind of "uniform"... while still adding her aesthetic to it and the result was "off" - at least imo. I don't hate it - I just didn't like it very much.

Exactly what went through my head, too. :sad: Meghan trying to 'fit in' with a 'uniform-like' dress. Startling impression created (not in a good way), whereas in the morning she was doing her thing in an 'appropriate' way. All good then imo.

I don't understand "bespoke" when it looks like it was worn by Sophie in 2015.
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&r...aw0uZfVNr0ukokJGW6aPUYTk&ust=1524782076507466

Interesting. I actually like it in the color Sophie is wearing. :flowers: Then it is not 'bespoke', that's a relief. Someone said it was 'bespoke' (to Meghan's wishes, in fact) and I just took their word for it, but I was mightily disappointed to think that Meghan had come up with that. :huh:

I think the beret looks amazing and I hope she wears more hats like that, additionally the black outfit and beret is a rare time when her hair looks immaculate. Looks like she brushed it and put in some product.

I think I'm finally understanding how some people are upset with her hair, etc... Because I don't think her hair looks good here because she "brushed it" and put product in it - I think it's because she used product and a flat iron to bump the ends of all of her layers and the look "stayed" because the weather cooperated with her.

With unpredictable weather, I think Meghan's hair has a tendency to frizz a bit at the ends - which just means the ends turn different angles and don't look "together". It also means the hair strands get thick, yet limp and just hang in an unflattering way.

So whereas a layered look would look great if curled properly - if the curl falls, the hair looks choppy instead.

I recognize it when I see it because when I wore my naturally kinky curly hair straight - as in relaxed - (and I have the same texture hair as Meghan based on pictures) and in layers - if I ran into any kind of foggy, humid or rainy weather, my hair would not behave properly.

All of a sudden, it would look like I just rolled out of bed instead of spending hours curling it from root to tip, etc... And no amount of product would make it not act up. The ends would start running in all different directions and when I had color in my hair, the very tips of my hair would "thicken" and stand out in a bad way - almost like the flat tip of the hair at the end had a "whitish" cap on the end of it that made my hair look very messy and like I needed a trim. It would also become really limp and lifeless and would NOT hold any kind of "bump" or curl from curlers or flat irons.

I think this is partly why we would see Meghan with the messier topknots - because she would realize she couldn't go with it out because it was just not working. So she probably would just do a quick topknot - at the last minute either in the car or right before they left.

The only way Meghan can avoid this hair situation is to:
1) Plan for it and just do a loose bun like she did last week
2) Get her hair cut all in one single layer
3) Wear her naturally curly hair
4) Reserve wearing her hair "out" for summer and less rainy seasons

Otherwise she'd have to flat iron her hair before EVERY engagement and use a ton of product and even then it might not actually work.

There is a chance that her hair will eventually adapt to the climate and then it will behave better, but that's going to take some time.

Three cheers for both outfits. Her hair is mercifully out of her face and we can see how really pretty she is. The black outfit is terribly chic, to call it matronly is the last adjective I would use. I do remember when sophie wore it and Megan wears it much better as you must be super slim to wear this style. Keep up the good work.

It's super matronly, the length is unflattering, and it looks uncomfortable to wear.
I couldn't disagree MORE.. those heels are ANYTHING but 'matronly'.. she looks very chic 'all in all'.
I like the way Meghan general penchant for wearing her skirt lengths at midi length but I think this bespoke dress is just a little too long. Perhaps if the little flip at the bottom had been three or four inches higher it would have been more in line with her previous clothes. That being said, I think she looked amazing in the black ensemble and the slightly boxy short jacket really emphasises the nipped in waist of the dress. Her matching black hat was also pared down . . . I think she could have got away with a small flock of dragonflies.

The original style came out in 2014 and I noticed that the RTW options were gathered skirts and Sophie's bespoke version was a long pencil skirt whereas Meghan's had her signature flip at the bottom.

Well on the coat, the coat hem is slightly longer in the back - retro effect. I don't think the hem is longer on the skirt/jacket combo.
It seems to be a popular 'look' just now as Autumn Philips wore a coat with the same effect at Easter (I think).

Meghan's Dawn Service Ensemble was lovely overall, but I would have to agree the coat looked just a little too large, but her picture hat was wonderful. She was unfazed when it got knocked awry during the Hongi but she seems to handle things like that really well.

I thought the pared-down millinery look was very suitable for the occasion, it is a style that really suits her and I would love to see her sporting more wide-brimmed fun hats at Ascot and the Trooping of the Colour. Hats with whimsy and style instead of those nasty little fascinators.

EDIT: I miss her little handbags and loathe the clutches that seem more evening than daywear.

Sophie Wessex has worn the Emilia Wickstead outfit before, I just posted in the similar/same style thread.

Came across this from Alexander McQueen: "Fashion should be a form of escapism, and not a form of imprisonment." Methinks there is some 'imprisonment' taking place. ;) ? Ha! But I feel that way on a lot of the fashion threads.

Came across this from Alexander McQueen: "Fashion should be a form of escapism, and not a form of imprisonment." Methinks there is some 'imprisonment' taking place. ;) ? Ha! But I feel that way on a lot of the fashion threads.

The way I like to think about haute fashion is that it's often polarizing. Meghan's choice to wear a very Balmain-esque coat (the exaggerated shoulders, double breasted design and buttons scream Balmain) is polarizing...

But fashion - art - that pushes boundaries beyond what some are used to often is polarizing.

The coat may have been slightly too big in the shoulders, but I've looked quite a few times and I don't think it was. I think the sleeves could have been trimmed down a bit as they were too long. The coat was meant to be cut that way, but the shoulders weren't that far off from her own shoulders - maybe just an inch or two.

But even if the coat sleeves had been trimmed down a bit and the shoulders trimmed a half inch, some still wouldn't like it because they don't care for the exaggerated shoulder style.

I'm just glad the "royal uniform" hasn't completely swallowed her up, lol.

The way I like to think about haute fashion is that it's often polarizing. Meghan's choice to wear a very Balmain-esque coat (the exaggerated shoulders, double breasted design and buttons scream Balmain) is polarizing...

But fashion - art - that pushes boundaries beyond what some are used to often is polarizing.

The coat may have been slightly too big in the shoulders, but I've looked quite a few times and I don't think it was. I think the sleeves could have been trimmed down a bit as they were too long. The coat was meant to be cut that way, but the shoulders weren't that far off from her own shoulders - maybe just an inch or two.

But even if the coat sleeves had been trimmed down a bit and the shoulders trimmed a half inch, some still wouldn't like it because they don't care for the exaggerated shoulder style.

I'm just glad the "royal uniform" hasn't completely swallowed her up, lol.
Agree. The exaggerated shoulder was obviously going look bigger than her shoulder usually does. Exaggerated. :lol:

I like the hem on the coat a lot. It's slightly longer in the back, but not overly so. I've always found the very obvious cascading hemline to be a little eyeroll worthy. :ermm:

Another thought - are we certain it's a skirt underneath the cropped jacket?

I'm wondering if it's a dress underneath.

I thought it was a skirt when I saw the back yesterday. The zipper is for a skirt.

Last edited by a moderator:

You're right, it is quite Balmain. I happen to think Balmain jumped the shark several years ago and is in a downward spiral of bad design, so I'm not going to like anything that leans that direction.

I'm totally on board for Meghan pushing the limits of royal fashion. I really like the way she's played with softer lines because I think they suit her. This coat, however, was "wearing her" in a bad way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom