Meghan Markle's Fashion and Style Part 1: November 2017 - May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not a fan of black, even for evenings, as a rule but I love this look. Hair, dress, shoes, sophisticated and lovely.

I will say that I've been enjoying the strappy shoes even though I wear more pumps myself. She's got the legs that can pull of the below the knee dress with straps that will go above the ankle (it is not an easy look to pull off if one doesn't have very skinny legs).
Never were truer words said. I am suffering from severe shoe envy.

I have been a little intrigued by the "Hollywood" handle. Does it mean the place, or are we referring to the red carpet? More importantly, does working as an actress on TV inevitabley make one "Hollywood"? I am asking this as this appellation has occurred several times and by the nature of the surrounding narrative, it is not a compliment.

I "get" the "H" for the jacket over the shoulders but that coat/jacket look has been around a very, very, long time. It came back into fashion a couple of years ago and Diana did indeed use it but think further back to fur coats and Elizabeth Taylor et al. Since all were not Americans (Elizabeth Taylor and Diana just for starters) it is not an "H" style.

Meghan's lovely dress, while not everyone's taste, looked lovely on her, particularly paired with her usual vertiginous heels. It was fresh, it was light, it was summery and I loved it. Could she have worn a coatdress or a coat over a dress? Yes, but I am really glad she didn't. I think "Upping her game" and "dressing the part" etc. et al really means not dressing American with smatterings of Canadian to twist the tail and me, I hope she doesn't change.

Tonight's LBD is a winner and her deportment is absolutely astounding in those to die for shoes! Her hair is lovely and, if I can learn to live with voluminous curls and waves obscuring jewellery and earrings, I can learn to live with a small piece of hair falling free from a central part doing the intermittent same.

While I love the silhouette of Meghan's dress (she really rocks knee-length and below knee dresses), I am not in love with the bust area but I really like the asymmetrical neckline. It is just a little quirky.

I think Meghan looks lovely, although I could wish that she had avoided the whole bra-strap scenario. Happens to the best of us, but it's always surprising in a public figure.

I wish I'd know more English words for "perfect" That dress and shoes are to die for !

Love the LBD. I think it’s my favorite look so far.

Yesterday's outfit was a big boxy miss (in my opinion), but this one I like. A nice, polished overall look! A classy dress with a nice updo, and the shoes match the dress quite nicely. The only thing I'd like to nitpick about is that in some pictures you can see her bra straps, perhaps a tiny bit of tayloring for the sleeve openings would fix it?

She probably needs those little bra holder things that they can put in sleeveless dresses - snaps around the bra strap and doesn't let it move from underneath the sleeve.

It's a simple tailoring fix too.

Meghan looks fierce, love this look, even though it's black again it's really flattering and interesting. Good, glad she can bring it. Now can we please have some color, it's spring for heaven's sake!

Meghan looks fierce, love this look, even though it's black again it's really flattering and interesting. Good, glad she can bring it. Now can we please have some color, it's spring for heaven's sake!

She once wore a similar dress in a deep teal color - though it was long (a gown)... I wouldn't mind seeing her in a shorter version of that dress.

And that red dress she wore shortly after she and Harry started dating - would love to see her in something like that.

Meghan does wear color - she just doesn't typically wear statement colors unless it's in a dress. She rarely wears statement colors in her separates - that color tends to be more neutral toned.

I wouldn't mind seeing her wear a statement red dress - maybe that will finally usher in Spring to stay. I cannot take anymore false starts. It was in the 30s today.

I really love the cocktail dress and I have one dress similar from Mango. I don't mind the color, I actually like black a lot. People can associate black with funeral most of the times, but for me black is synonym of elegant and fierce look.

Oh those shoes!!! I WANT them!!! Meghan has a very lovely collection of shoes, especially high-heels, yesterday's were lovely too!

When someone says 'she needs a stylist' what do you think they mean? I have no idea what you are getting at here. Is it not possible they just mean she needs a stylist? LaRae

That's a good question: what does a stylist do? :flowers: I think the word is being used without a clear common understanding of the role.

If people are saying Meghan needs a stylist I think they are suggesting she needs someone to help her out as she is failing stylistically. Seems a fair interpretation of the expressed sentiment.

Meghan (or any royal) does not need a professional stylist, but what they likely need, and do have, is someone who takes care of their wardrobe, if they are at the level of the Queen or a Crown Princess, for example, especially for the gala gowns and bling. I often wonder if royal houses have one person employed that gets used by all the royal ladies for just such events. (Sweden strikes me as a royal house that has someone, maybe, overseeing all the bling and dresses).

However in the capacity of a wardrobe mistress there may be conversations regarding what looks good, what has photographed well, etc, if the royal has that kind of interest (I think I see at least two royal women who have that level of interest in their public presentation). But for the most part it's personal taste imo and experience over time regarding what looks good and feels good at these public events. That being the case, I don't think Meghan (who has a clear facility for choosing/wearing clothing in public that will photograph well) would benefit from a stylist. She already has the skill set to do her own styling: why pay someone? Waste of money.

What's going to happen to Meghan over time (imo) is she will develop a style informed by her experiences as a BRF member, wedded to her own personal style preferences. No professional stylist necessary, and even a waste of money (because few people want to be dictated to in that area). JMO. ;)

Last edited:
She once wore a similar dress in a deep teal color - though it was long (a gown)... I wouldn't mind seeing her in a shorter version of that dress.

And that red dress she wore shortly after she and Harry started dating - would love to see her in something like that.

Meghan does wear color - she just doesn't typically wear statement colors unless it's in a dress. She rarely wears statement colors in her separates - that color tends to be more neutral toned.

I wouldn't mind seeing her wear a statement red dress - maybe that will finally usher in Spring to stay. I cannot take anymore false starts. It was in the 30s today.

And I can't take much more of (pre) royals in black (Maxima); red or teal would be a welcome change!

I think she'll shine at the more glam events, the daytime events are more out of her wheelhouse, she needs practice/help with those and will for a while, all married-ins do.

On a side note, I get the feeling we're not going to see a lot of jewelry on her, mostly twee little things (thin rings and bracelets, charm necklaces). I hope to be proved wrong, I think emeralds would look very nice on her, and there are some gobsmackers in HM's jewelry boxes.

I've seen that pic, she looked amazing in it too...the teal.

I remember the red dress too reminded me of one Kate had worn...and Meghan looked great in it.

LaRae

On a side note, I get the feeling we're not going to see a lot of jewelry on her, mostly twee little things (thin rings and bracelets, charm necklaces). I hope to be proved wrong, I think emeralds would look very nice on her, and there are some gobsmackers in HM's jewelry boxes.

I get that feeling too. I was getting hopeful with that double-diamond earrings she wore to the family get-together pre-Christmas, but nothing interesting since IMO.

I think DIana's emerald choker would look lovely on Meghan. It's one of my favourite of the Royal Family's jewellery. Kate can have that humungous sapphire choker, she has a long neck and would look good in it. Both girls sorted :lol:

As for Meghan's fashion, i'm losing interest as just about everything has been black, navy or white. Oh, except for the Christmas highlight of festive beige and brown ?

I'm not sure where Meghan stands on colored stones. We've seen her wear opals once. Past that it has been diamonds. So it will be interesting to see if she ever gets into wearing colors.

LaRae

She looks great in that lbd. She looks good in black, has excellent posture, and the dress fits well and she can pull off the length. Pulling her hair back we could see her face better although I don’t like the middle parting, or the loose bits straggling down. Very nice pink lipstick. Too bad she wears those super high heels, even higher than some of the other royals.

Last edited:
Regarding tonight’s outfit: yes to the cut, no to the color. She actually looks like she’s going to a funeral- one of the dangers of wearing all black.
First I have to say black halo is one of my favorite brands!. Their dresses are always amazing, I own one which was purchased for my sister wedding 7 years ago. Many of their items are very office appropriate. The dress she has tonight? That’s the kind of general cut that works for royal engagement (imo).
It’s a shame she went for the black one, when the red or blue one would have looked so much better.
Good choice on the belt.
Yes to the hair being up. I continue to hope she’ll stop straightening it and allow her curls to run free. I’ll be even more happy if we’ll see more white strands - indicating she has stopped coloring her hair.
I think the shoes she has tonight are the same from yesterday? They fit tonight outfit much better.

The whole black 'is for funerals' :lol: Sorry but I love when this one is used.

Someone needs to tell the fashion industry. They have made billions on the 'little black dress' concept. The whole idea 'every woman needs a simple black dress in their closet'. Black is not for funerals alone, its classy, elegant, and a great look for evening event.

Now if she wore a coat dress, with pearls and a pillbox, she may look funeral like. ?

The whole black 'is for funerals' :lol: Sorry but I love when this one is used.

Someone needs to tell the fashion industry. They have made billions on the 'little black dress' concept. The whole idea 'every woman needs a simple black dress in their closet'. Black is not for funerals alone, its classy, elegant, and a great look for evening event.

Now if she wore a coat dress, with pearls and a pillbox, she may look funeral like. ?

I mean I know we now wear black to weddings, but for royals, I'm gonna break ranks and say that it's really not done so much.

When I was trying to figure out what to wear to the reception with Camilla at Clarence House, I wanted to wear all black and was basically told that would be a faux pas to do in the presence of a royal. You cannot imagine the stress I went under then - because I suddenly felt like I had nothing to wear that "worked". I bought a million things - it was insane. My pocketbook still hasn't recovered.

So Meghan is definitely skating along a very thin line. The royals just don't do all black unless for a funeral/mourning. I adored the dress - don't get me wrong - but I can understand the pearl clutching since I experienced it first hand.

:ermm:

I mean I know we now wear black to weddings, but for royals, I'm gonna break ranks and say that it's really not done so much.

When I was trying to figure out what to wear to the reception with Camilla at Clarence House, I wanted to wear all black and was basically told that would be a faux pas to do in the presence of a royal. You cannot imagine the stress I went under then - because I suddenly felt like I had nothing to wear that "worked". I bought a million things - it was insane. My pocketbook still hasn't recovered.

So Meghan is definitely skating along a very thin line. The royals just don't do all black unless for a funeral/mourning. I adored the dress - don't get me wrong - but I can understand the pearl clutching since I experienced it first hand.

Hmm, someone should tell other BRF ladies--because a number of them have done black, especially for eveningwear. Meghan is in good company.

Were they at a wedding :ermm:

Not sure where 'wearing black at a wedding' came up in this conversation. I said at evening events.

And royals certainly wear black at evening events. I could post pictures of Camilla, Kate, Sophie all wearing black. So I don't see how Meghan is possibly skating on a thin line.

If people are going to clutch pearls when 'soon to be royal' Meghan wears black, they really must clutch pearls a lot.

Not place to post the fashion of other royal ladies, but could post dozens of photos of senior royal ladies in black at events. Kate certainly has several black lace in her closet. Heck even when she was younger, the queen wore black.

Were they at a wedding :ermm:

Not sure where 'wearing black at a wedding' came up in this conversation. I said at evening events.

And royals certainly wear black at evening events. I could post pictures of Camilla, Kate, Sophie all wearing black. So I don't see how Meghan is possibly skating on a thin line.

If people are going to clutch pearls when 'soon to be royal' Meghan wears black, they really must clutch pearls a lot.

Not place to post the fashion of other royal ladies, but could post dozens of photos of senior royal ladies in black at events. Kate certainly has several black lace in her closet. Heck even when she was younger, the queen wore black.

Sorry I wasn't clear. What I meant was that we regular folk now wear black to weddings (a place where it was once taboo to ever do such a thing), but I didn't think the royals ever wore all black unless in mourning or at a funeral.

But it appears I was (told) wrong - they do wear black.

Last edited:
Yeah Kate has worn black to evening events (a really nice black lace dress comes to mind). I think things are a lot more relaxed with color...I do think it's true that they always travel with black outfits in case of the death of one of the members of the BRF.

Personally I think it horrible to wear black to a wedding. I would never do it...I've seen bridesmaids in black! BLEAH! I hope this phases out.

LaRae

Yeah Kate has worn black to evening events (a really nice black lace dress comes to mind). I think things are a lot more relaxed with color...I do think it's true that they always travel with black outfits in case of the death of one of the members of the BRF.

Personally I think it horrible to wear black to a wedding. I would never do it...I've seen bridesmaids in black! BLEAH! I hope this phases out.

LaRae

I definitely wouldn't wear black to a wedding - I'd be afraid to give my great aunts heart palpitations.

Do the women of the BRF wear all black to day events? I feel like a black evening gown doesn't read as "mourning" because when they are mourning, they don't attend events like that anyway, right? As opposed to carrying out some day events in all black?

Maybe it isn't taboo anymore.

I'm trying to remember if they have worn black to a day event and nothing is coming to mind right off the top....we know the Queen wouldn't. I don't seem to think Camilla doing it...Not sure on Sophie...don't think Anne would.

I'd say no...but I could be wrong! Evening yes..not daytime. Unless it has been something like a memorial event (they wear the poppies to it every year..blank mind).

LaRae

I'm trying to remember if they have worn black to a day event and nothing is coming to mind right off the top....we know the Queen wouldn't. I don't seem to think Camilla doing it...Not sure on Sophie...don't think Anne would.

I'd say no...but I could be wrong! Evening yes..not daytime. Unless it has been something like a memorial event (they wear the poppies to it every year..blank mind).

LaRae

Yeah - maybe it's just day events where they avoid all black...

I actually think women wearing black to a wedding is pretty visually, but what do I know (..)

Last edited by a moderator:
I definitely wouldn't wear black to a wedding - I'd be afraid to give my great aunts heart palpitations.

Do the women of the BRF wear all black to day events? I feel like a black evening gown doesn't read as "mourning" because when they are mourning, they don't attend events like that anyway, right? As opposed to carrying out some day events in all black?

Maybe it isn't taboo anymore.

Black 'only for funerals' seems to be the 'older' and by that I mean the queen, generation of royals. And only in older age. She wore black evening gowns in her youth.

And yes, some royals do wear all black/mainly black to day events. Kate has worn all black to visit a hospital and in New Zelanad (though did have a silver fern embroidered on the shoulder). She also has her black dress with white peter pan collar that come to mind. Camilla has at least one black suit, and day dress, though sometimes accessorizes with color (not always).

Heck Sophie wore head to toe black at Ascot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom