Meghan Markle's Fashion and Style Part 1: November 2017 - May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Love the dress, the bag, and the shoes. I would happily wear any of them, but I’m too short for the dress, and too clumsy for the stilettos. The purse would be perfect for me, though.

Ahem. I think she will make her own clothing budget. I think she has been doing that for YEARS.

Of course she's been buying her own clothes-she was earning money. Now she is not earning a salary (I'm sure she has savings and will get residuals but still) however she is working for Great Britain and Charles will allocate funds for her working clothes.

I like the way Meghan's clothes don't scream 'Meghan here, look at me' which is a really good thing because she is with Harry and I think with a few words of advice as to dress code for the day, she dressed for him.

Exactly so! :flowers: Meghan is definitely not using these outings as red carpet events from what I see. She dresses decently (clean) but not 'perfectly'. She doesn't (or hasn't yet) set the bar impossibly high for herself. I think that may be part of her 'style' (for now anyway). We may never see Meghan with every hair in place. She is blending in with the people that she meets yet maintaining her American/Californian sensibilities, which to me is a good thing. (We may see 'every hair in place' at blingy events and we can assume she will be able to 'clean up nicely' for those without too much coaching).

I don't really see why some see Meghan as needing fashion advice. :huh: She looks to be doing just fine on her own (if she is on her own). :flowers:

NOTE: I think people assume more fashion input for royals than is really there, except for those who have clothes actually made for them, like the Queen (or someone like Camilla new to the game). It's not rocket science. It's personal taste.

Last edited:
I agree with those who believe that every item is fine but the sum of its parts just doesn't add up. In some ways, I feel that she's consciously trying not to be too fashionable so that clothes don't speak for her, and that could be a good thing, but somehow the result is that she looks unkempt and like she's not putting enough of an effort.

Interesting...feedback on twitter, even her big supporters are probably the most upset I've seen them over yesterday's outfit (Eugenie's getting it too) ...Even podsavethequeen program carefully (mildly) criticized some parts of her outfit.

LaRae

For all her style experience and tips in the past I begin to think she really didn't do most of that herself but was styled mostly by the show's people.

I'm not sure she really understands how to style a wardrobe (as mentioned several times..hard time putting the good pieces together) which is why I am hoping after the wedding she sits down and gets serious about a wardrobe (with a new budget) and professional help or input from a person in country.

LaRae

Of course they styled her character on the show. Her personal style was always more relaxed if you look at her IG. She's talked about in the past that Rachel has some similarities to her personal style, but also have differences. For example, she doesn't like prints, so Rachel doesn't wear a lot of prints either. However, she'd never wear Rachel's pencil skirts.

Interesting...feedback on twitter, even her big supporters are probably the most upset I've seen them over yesterday's outfit (Eugenie's getting it too) ...Even podsavethequeen program carefully (mildly) criticized some parts of her outfit.
LaRae

Yes definitely mixed reviews. The Pod Save the Queen critique was largely due to how Meghan wore/didn't wear the jacket and whether the dress was too informal. I wasn't a fan of the over the shoulder look for this event either but I also recognize that it's a Meghan style signature. Though it may not be what people are used to seeing other royals do, it's something that Meghan has done for a long time. The notion that she recently picked it up from Kim Kardashian or Melania Trump was silly and an indication that the royal reporters are still learning Meghan's style. They did confirm how unexpectedly hot it was in London yesterday which probably explains why she quickly took the jacket off.

Surprised we haven't seen pictures from the women's empowerment reception. Thought it was today?

Yes definitely mixed reviews. The Pod Save the Queen critique was largely due to how Meghan wore/didn't wear the jacket and whether the dress was too informal. I wasn't a fan of the over the shoulder look for this event either but I also recognize that it's a Meghan style signature. Though it may not be what people are used to seeing other royals do, it's something that Meghan has done for a long time. The notion that she recently picked it up from Kim Kardashian or Melania Trump was silly and an indication that the royal reporters are still learning Meghan's style. They did confirm how unexpectedly hot it was in London yesterday which probably explains why she quickly took the jacket off.

Surprised we haven't seen pictures from the women's empowerment reception. Thought it was today?

I thought it interesting they brought up the hosiery issue (Queen prefers them to wear hose not bare legs) etc. Interesting discussion.

I figure she learned yesterday that draped on the shoulder jacket look won't work on engagements.

LaRae

I thought it interesting they brought up the hosiery issue (Queen prefers them to wear hose not bare legs) etc. Interesting discussion.

LaRae

Does the Queen prefer them to wear it or is it just assumed. I mean, she did put it on for more formal occasion, but I have to wonder if the Queen cares about the less formal situations.

I don't really see why some see Meghan as needing fashion advice... :flowers:

That's the thing that is annoying here on this board. No one here needs to "see" why anyone here likes or dislikes, or thinks Meghan needs, or Meghan doesn't need anything.

Fashion is entirely subjective and some will like her style and some won't. Some will think she needs professional advice and some won't. But the constant harping here and the constant "I don't get why..." or "People need to understand..." or whatever else, is extremely annoying and off putting. People will like or dislike her clothes. It doesn't have to be for supposed ignorance or for hidden motives. It can simply be a matter of taste. Period. The end.

I think she needed to wear the jacket like it's supposed to be worn, with her arms in the sleeves, and then, in my opinion she would have looked 100% better.

It's not a personal insult to Meghan. I like her a lot. I can still think she doesn't dress that great some of the time.

Last edited:
Does the Queen prefer them to wear it or is it just assumed. I mean, she did put it on for more formal occasion, but I have to wonder if the Queen cares about the less formal situations.

I do think things have filtered out over the years about the Queen's preferences when the BRF ladies are on the job.

LaRae

Overall, I think most of Meghan's fashion choices have been.....fine. There might be quibbles about fit, or pant hems dragging, or whatever, but for the most part, personal taste to one side, she's been dressed appropriately, and has looked good and in keeping with her chosen style aesthetic. This appearance just seems really off. It's like it didn't click with her that during this engagement she was representing not just her own interests, not just the interests of the royal family, but was, in a limited way, representing Britain, and that she was going to be meeting young people who were also representing their own countries and for whom this event was a very big deal. Choosing to wear a strappy dress when everyone else seemed to be wearing business or business casual just strikes me as a bit tone deaf.

I'm sure she'll figure it out, eventually, there's always a learning curve to this stuff, but this was, for me, a big misstep on her part, and shows she may not quite "get" the role that she's taken on. Or maybe not, time will tell.

her fashion choices, as exemplified by this last one, are far from conventional and from what is expected of a princess. the last look was definitely more on the celebrity front rather than on the royal front - with the blazer over the shoulders and with her bag on the shoulder. the total opposite to kate, who fits more with the conventional british princessy look. however, it is refreshing to see that she is sticking to her fashion preferences and not transforming in a copycat of kate just because she joined the RF. i have to say, i wouldn't mind her slowly coming to a more conventional style without losing some of her 'edginess'. i also like that she is uncovering less known brands that may need support.

Overall, I think most of Meghan's fashion choices have been.....fine. There might be quibbles about fit, or pant hems dragging, or whatever, but for the most part, personal taste to one side, she's been dressed appropriately, and has looked good and in keeping with her chosen style aesthetic. This appearance just seems really off. It's like it didn't click with her that during this engagement she was representing not just her own interests, not just the interests of the royal family, but was, in a limited way, representing Britain, and that she was going to be meeting young people who were also representing their own countries and for whom this event was a very big deal. Choosing to wear a strappy dress when everyone else seemed to be wearing business or business casual just strikes me as a bit tone deaf.

I'm sure she'll figure it out, eventually, there's always a learning curve to this stuff, but this was, for me, a big misstep on her part, and shows she may not quite "get" the role that she's taken on. Or maybe not, time will tell.

I agree with all of this, esp about giving her time to grasp that she is representing (in a big way TBH) Britain and/or the Commonwealth. In many ways expectations are way too high - not in terms that she wont achieve them, but in the time scale she is being given by so many "fans"

She'll get there.

Not really irony....you don't have to like everything women wear in order to empower them.

LaRae

I agree with all of this, esp about giving her time to grasp that she is representing (in a big way TBH) Britain and/or the Commonwealth. In many ways expectations are way too high - not in terms that she wont achieve them, but in the time scale she is being given by so many "fans"

She'll get there.

See, my thing about this is people sometimes conflates the clothes with the role. I think it terms of the role, she's exceeded expectations in terms of how she has conducted herself, whether it be when she meets people or how knowledgeable she is about certain issues. In terms of clothes, I never expected her to be like Kate, or to be like Rachel for that matter, I understood that she was different so to speak than a lot of the women that has married into the BRF. I think she has been given a lot of flack and called for being inappropriate on the clothing front when it hasn't been. In terms of this event, was she more summery than others? Sure. But was she less dressy than the youth leaders that participated in the forum? No. Like I said, if you look closely at what they were wearing, they had a wide range or formal vs. informal. It's those that were working the event that were very dressed up.

Not really irony....you don't have to like everything women wear in order to empower them.

LaRae

You don't have to like it, but it does seem fashion takes a lot more attention than the actually substance of the job for women compared to men. Quite frankly, I've seen people here saying the job seems to be a lot harder than she thought or that they don't see the advantage of her past helping her adapt to the job like some of us have suggested simply because they haven't agreed with her fashion styles.

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't have to like it, but it does seem fashion takes a lot more attention than the actually substance of the job for women compared to men. Quite frankly, I've seen people here saying the job seems to be a lot harder than she thought or that they don't see the advantage of her past helping her adapt to the job like some of us have suggested simply because they haven't agreed with her fashion styles.

Good points. :flowers: It's interesting. Often based on one event where maybe her pant length was problematic (maybe).

if you look closely at what they were wearing, they had a wide range or formal vs. informal. It's those that were working the event that were very dressed up.

Inevitably there will be such a range amongst the attendees, but since it was clearly of great importance to those that 'went to the trouble' of organising it, this important attendee might have tried and 'look the part'.. she didn't, she looked unco-ordinated and hence something of a 'let-down'.

Last edited:
Or some people just don't like the "style" she has been showing , but like her, and think she's competent in her new role.

The whole point of fashion threads is to discuss fashion. If it's upsetting or folks think it doesn't empower women when we focused on how women look then why participate in a fashion thread? Men are boring about fashion this is why that thread moves so slow and groups the whole lot of them together. If they were still dressing like the French Court in heels, hose and bright colors then there'd be more to discuss.

"People here"...that's a rather broad and subjective term. From what I have seen very FEW people here have said 'the job is harder than she thought' etc.. in all these pages of talking about what Meghan is wearing.

Sometimes folks are just trying to work out why she is dressing like X ...the conversation is out loud instead of in their head only.

LaRae

Inevitably there will be such a range amongst the attendees, but since it was clearly of great importance to those that 'went to the trouble' of organising it, this important attendee might have tried and 'look the part'.. she didn't, she looked unco-ordinated and hence something of a 'let-down'.

Hmmm I have wondered, do you think she is trying to dress to match the group she's meeting with?

Maybe this is why she's not looking the 'part' as some expect out of women in the BRF.

LaRae

Pics are in (Twitter) Meghan is in a black dress this evening

LaRae

Except her shoes (not a fan of that closure) I really like the dress. Her hair is up. Really I like the whole look except that one thing.

LaRae

Last edited by a moderator:
The whole point of fashion threads is to discuss fashion.

Exactly. This is getting ridiculous. If one doesn't like Meghan's outfit for some function or another, one has to be lectured or second guessed on their motives.

Edited to add, in my opinion she looks very pretty tonight. I like the whole outfit.

Last edited:
The whole point of fashion threads is to discuss fashion. If it's upsetting or folks think it doesn't empower women when we focused on how women look then why participate in a fashion thread? Men are boring about fashion this is why that thread moves so slow and groups the whole lot of them together. If they were still dressing like the French Court in heels, hose and bright colors then there'd be more to discuss.

"People here"...that's a rather broad and subjective term. From what I have seen very FEW people here have said 'the job is harder than she thought' etc.. in all these pages of talking about what Meghan is wearing.

Sometimes folks are just trying to work out why she is dressing like X ...the conversation is out loud instead of in their head only.

LaRae

Did you not see the part I said about conflating the role with the clothes? The comments about her being disappointing in the role so far hasn't been limited to this thread. I think it's fine to talk about fashion, as Meghan herself has said in the past, sometimes people notice someone or place because of it. So if you have that platform, you can talk to them about clothes and make up and such, but also talk about issues that you hope to draw attention to using that platform. I just get irritated when the clothes makes up so much of what these women are trying to do. Or somehow, every time they step out needs to be a fashion show or it becomes overly critical.

But anyways, bracing myself for the comments about her wearing black again tonight and how disappointing that is.

Try reading the comments jacqui...everyone so far that has commented loves the overall look tonight. A LBD to an evening event is kinda normal.

It's a fashion thread...of course the predominant discussion is on how she looks. She is going to be expected anytime she's 'working' to look a certain way and it's going to be talked about at length. If you find this annoying or irritating then why are you in a fashion discussion?

Her platform or cause would be a separate issue.

LaRae

Last edited:
Try reading the comments jacqui...everyone so far that has commented loves the overall look tonight. A LBD to an evening event is kinda normal.

It's a fashion thread...of course the predominant discussion is on how she looks. She is going to be expected anytime she's 'working' to look a certain way and it's going to be talked about at length. If you find this annoying or irritating then why are you in a fashion discussion?

Her platform or cause would be a separate issue.

LaRae
I've read the comments. I've read them since this relationship came to light. I've got no problem with fashion. In fact, FashionMaven and I have had pretty extensive conversations from a fashion perspective. Even when we disagree on things. As I said, my comment is not limited to only what's been said in here. And there seems to be difficulties in understanding that not every "working" engagement is going to include a red carpet styled outfit. There are going to be outfits where she just wears what she wants, and it's not intended to be a fashion statement. It might be just fine, and not great. Hardly a disappointment.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom