Meghan Markle's Fashion and Style Part 1: November 2017 - May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
She takes it off once inside. So it might’ve been a little chilly go without it outside. I don’t like the crossbody on after she took off the jacket inside though. I feel like both the jacket and the bag should’ve been handed off to you the assistant once inside. That dress deserve to be photographed on its own. :lol:

I love the bag so I'm glad it's not hiding in Amy's purse. :D
The jacket draped over her shoulder is a Meghan signature but usually she's kept the jacket on when the dress is spaghetti strap or halter. I couldn't tell from the video why she made the call to take it off. Tend to agree with Pranter it was probably just in the way while shaking hands.

Well, I have to say I am hugely relieved. I like the look, I like it. Maybe the dress is a bit summery/casual but it is after all not a hugely formal occasion. I like the dress, blazer, and love the bag and shoes. Not a huge fan of mounds of hair all over the place that has to be kept back with the hand, but boy, no black pants, long or otherwise. (..) Now for a bit more colour in nice dresses as summer approaches, hopefully. I'm so pleased!

Last edited by a moderator:
My guess is that the jacket was slipping around ..but a shame she couldn't anchor it somehow. It does give the 'outfit' a finished look. Still though, the shoes are really the only thing I'm kinda meh about.

LaRae

I agree the dress is too summery and casual for the event, but at least it has some structure to it. She really looks out of place with a sundress on, no one else has bare arms. Don't care about the bare legs, I'm over that. Just a pet peeve, I groan every time I see someone with a jacket draped over their shoulders, put it on or take it off, don't use your shoulders as a coat hanger.

Hair and shoes are better, purse is, of course, the star of the show.

(..)

Her style is very different to what we have seen in the royal family so far - its modern and very trendy and that touch of "hollywood" feel to it. She is different fashion wise from Kate etc who tends to play it safe and British and homegrown feel to it.
Meghan is a great addition to the family - i might not like all her fashion choices but there is an edge and quirk to her outfits that is interesting and exciting to see what she wears next

I love this look. All of it. Well done, Meghan's stylist!

Her hair and makeup look nice, but that's where it stops for me. The dress is fitted nicely, but it looks like something that I put together on my sewing machine at home and she does look out of place with the bare arms (she should have just put the jacket on and left it on). The bag is cute but not at an official event. Save it for a trip to the grocery store or a outing at the zoo.

I like the dress for a summer garden party, not for a high profile event as this one. The delegates there look far more professional than Meghan who still dresses like a Hollywood celebrity.

I don't think she looks Hollywood at all. This would an Easter Sunday outfit (with the jacket on) just about anywhere in the US.

Love the shoes, jacket & bag.

On the fence with the dress. Agree with people that say it looks better with the jacket. I think both the straps and the helm are nice but not together (becomes a bit busy for me).
Prefer the outfit as a whole

But the look is so "Meghan", suits her.

Trying to ID the bracelet on her right wrist...

LaRae

Meghan Markle's Fashion and Style Part One: November 2017 -

I don’t see anything Hollywood about the outfit. It looks like something any normal person would wear.

I see why some see it as a sundress, but I think it’s more formal than that. The buttons, pin stripes, straight skirt, colors make it look much more formal to me. It’s something between a spring dress and a suit imo.

I don’t really like the jacket draped over the shoulders either. Either put it on or take it off. It just doesn’t look good draped imo.

Last edited:
I liked her whole look, but that was expected. I don't think this looked anything Hollywoodish, either.

Like the overall look but there is too much going on with the dress - ticking fabric, lots and lots of buttons,, inc on pockets, overlong belt (a trend I don't like but that's personal preference), asymmetrical buttoned front and what looked like extended straps to the dress at the back.

without the pockets and whatever is going on with the straps plus perhaps a dark belt (not sure) - just a neater look.

Would have preferred the jacket to have stayed on but not a big issue.

But what isn't clear - is this navy and white/cream? or black and white/cream?
Bag looks blue and white and shoes look black but varies by pictures.

EDIT: Black and white/cream definitely

But what isn't clear - is this navy and white/cream? or black and white/cream?
Bag looks blue and white and shoes look black but varies by pictures.

EDIT: Black and white/cream definitely

Everything is black and white/cream. Even the bag.

I don’t see anything Hollywood about the outfit. It looks like something any normal person would wear.

I see why some see it as a sundress, but I think it’s more formal than that. The buttons, pin stripes, straight skirt, colors make it look much more formal to me. It’s something between a spring dress and a suit imo.

I don’t really like the jacket draped over the shoulders either. Either put it on or take it off. It just doesn’t look good draped imo.

:previous: YES I hate that draping-your-jacket-over-your-shoulders trend too.

The dress is very cute! and LOVE her bag. I like her whole look (okay except the jacket) and don't think it's too casual or "Hollywood".

It looks like someone dressed for a business meeting here in Dallas. I could see wearing this to a job interview.

Dislike the hair, the Shoes, and the length [too long].

Like the colour, stripes and the bag tho'..

Last edited:
I want to say I like the dress....for summer. Without jacket, IMO, it doesn’t suit her. Actually like the gal in background with print better. It looks off to me. Again, the hair...

A sundress? Has it warmed up that much? Jacket on or off, not draped over the shoulders. Hair is still too messy which adds to the all too much for this outfit. Great shoes with a lot of interest but fighting with the buttons, too many buttons, belts, belt hanging down, slit skirt, pockets, stripes , obtrusive handbag. Subtract a few things and it could work. She looks overwhelmed in her tiny frame

Last edited:
As far as summery goes it's the warmest day of the year .

Maybe thus far, but it is early spring in London--so not really warm enough for a sundress more suitable for 80+ degrees F.?

I would have preferred Meghan actually wearing the jacket. It would be more professional and polished.

Last edited:
A sundress? Has it warmed up that much? Jacket on or off, not draped over the shoulders. Hair is still too messy which adds to the all too much for this outfit. Great shoes with a lot of interest but fighting with the buttons, too many buttons, belts, belt hanging down, slit skirt, pockets, stripes , obtrusive handbag. Subtract a few things and it could work. She looks overwhelmed in her tiny frame

I heard it was 22C. You tell me if it's warmed up that much?:lol:

Not liking the jacket ( not sure if it’s a jacket ) and hair. Dress seems good from what I can see Harry looks great
I’m always amazed how anyone can wear heels so high I have never managed it

Meghan really shouldn't wear such heels though.
(..)
She'll probably have a lot of trouble with them some day.

The dress is cute but looks like beach wear.
I'm not keen on the jacket either.

Maybe thus far, but it is early spring in London--so not really warm enough for a sundress more suitable for 80+ degrees F.?

I would have preferred Meghan actually wearing the jacket. It would be more professional and polished.

I agree that I would have preferred her to wear the jacket during the event. IMO the dress is too casual without it. However if this was a private event in the summer, then it would be perfect.

It's the result of living in Canada for several years. Any sunshine and warmth it's treated as balmy weather, and it's on with the sundresses! :lol:

Last edited:
(..) I'm sure she knows if she's comfortable in high heels much better than us. I don't see why she shouldn't wear high heels if she wants to.

Meghan Markle's Fashion and Style Part One: November 2017 -

It looks like someone dressed for a business meeting here in Dallas. I could see wearing this to a job interview.

So could I. I’m in Houston. Definitely seems fine for work.

Probably with the jacket on though for an interview. At least in my experience. Sleeveless seems a bit casual for that to me. The slit in the front dresses it down a bit too now that I look at it again. But it’s much dressier than a sundress imo. And depending on the company, probably fine for an interview. We’re becoming an increasingly casual society.

Last edited:
I think she looks so casual and out of place because of how she’s dressed today.
She doesn’t have to dress like the British royals all the time, she can take a cue from Maxima, Letizia or the Swedish royals.

Just saw a video of her shaking hands with some of the youth leaders. It doesn't seem that she's out of place in the casual department (there is a guy that wore leopard print jacket and either a very long loose shirt or a dress underneath with boots). She only stood out because they are dressed for colder weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom