Meghan Markle's Fashion and Style Part 1: November 2017 - May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
(..) back on topic about Meghan and her sleeveless. She was in a heated room or car for all but a few seconds when she had to walk into the building after the car pulled up. And when they are on stage, she’s under lights that would’ve made it hotter than the rest of that room. She doesn’t appear to be cold, so if she wanted to wear sleeveless in February, what’s the fashion issue?

Last edited by a moderator:
(..)
Meghan can wear what she likes, but I get cold just looking at her.

(...)
Just to reiterate I adore Meghan's shoes and I hope she keeps wearing them additionally I love the select rings on her fingers. I feel things like that are little things that can keep her Meghan and not be dominated by being Princess Henry.

I'm fine with short sleeves and sleeveless dresses in the winter. Sometimes I wear such myself, but I do have a shawl or a cardigan with me. It's because even though houses (especially homes) are well heated, some public places tend to be cooler. For example, the hallways and lobbies have lower temperatures, so it's nice to put on your cardigan when you're going to a toilet or the lobby, or quickly taking a breath of fresh air outdoors. Meghan most likely knew she was just going to sit under the hot lights. And judging by her bare legs, she may be one of those people who just don't feel cold easily.

It would have been nice to see a woollen shawl or cardigan or something with her nevertheless because it does look a little odd to have so much bare skin during winter, especially since it's a daytime function, not an evening one. She could have just taken it away if it got too hot. All the other ladies I have seen in photos there are wearing blouses or dresses with long sleeves and/or blazers/jackets/cardigans, and Meghan kind of looks a little out of place.

I'm not sure if I'm completely liking Meghan's latest dress. The colour is beautiful but I'm not a fan of the style.

I really liked Meghan's dress. Thought it was very edgy, fashion-forward and she looked gorgeous.

(..)

All in all, I wasn't phased by Meghan's sleeveless look. She spent too many winters in Toronto and too many years as a working actress for me to have thought she didn't know how to dress for the wintry London weather or Q&A forum under hot stage lights. I've found most of this thread to be a tempest in a teapot.

The on-going off-topic discussion about varying heating systems has been removed.

Meghan Markle’s Dress Was Almost 1,000 Percent More Expensive Than Kate Middleton’s | InStyle.com

There is so much wrong with this I don't know where to start. I do not understand the media's need to obsess over the cost of the garments. Especially since both women have their own private funds. But especially since Meghan isn't an actual member of the RF, and so what she spends where, is no ones business.

But furthermore, why the need to compare the garment price of these two women. Kate wears expensive and inexpensive brands regularly, and I'm sure Meghan does as well.

I thought so too...I really liked it.

LaRae

I really liked Meghan's dress. Thought it was very edgy, fashion-forward and she looked gorgeous.

(..)

All in all, I wasn't phased by Meghan's sleeveless look. She spent too many winters in Toronto and too many years as a working actress for me to have thought she didn't know how to dress for the wintry London weather or Q&A forum under hot stage lights. I've found most of this thread to be a tempest in a teapot.

Yes, I agree. No one has to choose the same look, but it really works for Meghan. She actually has very pretty, nicely-shaped arms (Mrs. Obama has very nicely shaped arms too and she has shown them off on many occasions to a lot of grumbling about appropriateness). I love that Meghan knows what looks good on her, and she's very comfortable rocking her own style.

Below is a Meghan video featuring a gallery of her different looks that truly gives a sense of her laid-back casual style, mixed with Suits polish, and edgy elegance. She always looks comfortable and fashion forward. The Wu dress looks quite wonderful on Meghan (again much better than it looked on the runway model) ?
Meghan Markle Joins the “Fab Four” at the First Annual Royal Foundation Forum

Last edited:
With Meghan attending the Commonwealth Day service, eyes will definitely be on her for her choice of fashion that day. It's a more formal event at Westminster Abbey. With the Queen present I think she will blend to avoid the optics of looking like she is trying to outdo HM.

IIRC they tend to wear more somber colors so that will be right in her wheelhouse of monochromatic colors. I'm going to guess she will be in a dress and wearing a hat as well.

LaRae

I really don't care about how much Meghan's dress cost. It was such a tasteless article. I'm sure she's used to designer clothes as she's a celebrity.

I really don't care about how much Meghan's dress cost. It was such a tasteless article. I'm sure she's used to designer clothes as she's a celebrity.

I don't understand this comment- I don't think we're talking about the same article at all.

That's is really good.

I like the parts about how the foreign spouses adopt the local culture but also keep embracing their origin (the dancing and singing Maxima :lol:).

I saw many people said Meghan has to abandon her own style/origin and “dress like a royal” because she’s going to marry a prince and join the royal family, and seriously I don't know what does “dressing like a royal” mean, does it mean always wear colorful outfits like the Queen? or does it mean always wear dresses or coatdresses like Kate? No it's only their styles and preferences. To me “dressing like a royal” only means dressing appropriate for the event with your own style. I believe there may still be some rules (or suggestions), but it's 2018 and I don't think the court would still say “as a royal you must wear particular types of outfits otherwise you are not royal enough bla bla bla”.

Last edited:
:previous: You have the right of it I believe. Nobody wants a Catherine or Sophie clone. The only rule is that you dress appropriately for the occasion and the only person you have to please is HM. I have a suspicion she may consider "dressed" as including stockings and I have to admit that I lean that way as well, especially as the dress code includes a hat.

However, while I might like a little more colour I'm talking from a country where the Italian Ambassador created a huge fuss when replying to a question about what he missed about home most. 'Beautiful women in pretty clothes' he said. Here the women in the city all wear black trousers, army boots and backpacks!

I thought he was a little harsh but not necessarily far off the mark. Fortunately, Doc Martins are no longer fashion forward but black still holds the professional line.

I saw many people said Meghan has to abandon her own style/origin and “dress like a royal” because she’s going to marry a prince and join the royal family, and seriously I don't know what does “dressing like a royal” mean, does it mean always wear colorful outfits like the Queen? or does it mean always wear dresses or coatdresses like Kate? No it's only their styles and preferences. To me “dressing like a royal” only means dressing appropriate for the event with your own style. I believe there may still be some rules (or suggestions), but it's 2018 and I don't think the court would still say “as a royal you must wear particular types of outfits otherwise you are not royal enough bla bla bla”.

Thank you for this. It seems like some people confuse personal style with a royal dress code or protocol. The style range among BRF and royals in other countries appears varied enough that Meghan should fit in just fine.

Marg, Commonwealth Day will likely put an end to the stockings as protocol question once and for all. I think Meghan will wear a dress with heels and if she doesn't wear pantyhose in the Queen's presence it's not happening. I'm betting on no pantyhose.

I love her style. It seems more relaxed but still appropriate for the events that she's attended. I really love the pearl button pants she wore recently. Hope to see it again!

Thank you for this. It seems like some people confuse personal style with a royal dress code or protocol. The style range among BRF and royals in other countries appears varied enough that Meghan should fit in just fine.

Marg, Commonwealth Day will likely put an end to the stockings as protocol question once and for all. I think Meghan will wear a dress with heels and if she doesn't wear pantyhose in the Queen's presence it's not happening. I'm betting on no pantyhose.
Well, if you want to think of something that involves protocol that is outside Meghan's norm, this will be the first formal engagement with the best part of the whole BRF where the dress code is very formal so we will see Meghan's take on that. Not to forget we will also see a new Hat!

As to pantyhose ugh! Stockings or stay-ups are much more comfortable and feel wonderfully feminine to wear.

Stockings! The very best stockings are so thin that you cannot tell the wearer has them on. They are absurdly expensive. They are more easily ruined than any other item of women's clothing.
I know women that don't feel dressed unless they are wearing them. But I know more women (wealthy and not) who refuse to wear them.
They do have the advantage of adding warmth on cold days; concealing veins and adding support (if one does not mind wearing gauche thick hose).
Female Royals once routinely wore gloves and hats. Now - for many royals, those are an exception, rather than a rule.
The one truth about fashion is that it is always changing. Thank the heavens. ?

I always wonder how royals who wear stockings are never photographed with a run in them. My stockings are always ruined unless I wear thick ones.

Well, if you want to think of something that involves protocol that is outside Meghan's norm, this will be the first formal engagement with the best part of the whole BRF where the dress code is very formal so we will see Meghan's take on that.Not to forget we will also see a new Hat!

Definitely excited to see her take but also a bit worried. Sandringham was the one outfit that was a miss for me, particularly the hat. Meghan usually looks great in hats so I was surprised. I'm writing it off to the pressure of the occasion. Hoping that take 2 will be an improvement now that she has more engagements under her belt.

Yes I would say the Christmas Day clothing was my least favorite so far (the hat...hopefully never repeated).

LaRae

I thought what she wore on Christmas was the only time the looked really put together; I liked the outfit despite hating the color brown, and her hair looked like it was brushed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom