Meghan Markle's Fashion and Style Part 1: November 2017 - May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
(Oh I forget she can't be right in some people's eyes)

Assuming that snarky remark is directed at me, perhaps I should reiterate , that I have no objection to Prince Harry's choice of wife, i'm merely not a fan of her dress-sense, which is my prerogative...

Looks like it is a little too loose. Glad to see she is still wearing her heels with straps instead of the standard BRF heels.

Assuming that snarky remark is directed at me, perhaps I should reiterate , that I have no objection to Prince Harry's choice of wife, i'm merely not a fan of her dress-sense, which is my prerogative...

Did you like her dress today? I like the color (and she and Kate both wearing blue) and style.

LaRae

A closer look at #MeghanMarkle's Isabel Marant Enameled gold-tone hoop earrings (£65).

https://www.net-a-porter.com/us/en/...9CCqbLjmE33uXazZ8.zXA&rewardStyle=rewardStyle

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't seen a good picture of the full view of the dress with her standing yet. But I did see the runway dress. I LIKE IT!!! It has details of a professional dress with the collar and material, but it is more relaxed in design.

On a side note, I just want to point out not everyone is as blessed as Meghan Markle to be able to pull of that length dress with those shoes given how high the first strap is. It can make a lot of legs look thicker. I wouldn't dare do that, and I'm on the slimmer side. But it works perfect with Meghan's legs.

Love that dress - is it a trench vest over a dress or one dress? Whatever it is, it's uber stylish. I'm very happy to see Meghan sticking to her own aesthetic. She will do color - but HER way, not anyone else's.

What a breath of fresh air.

It's nice to see a (future) royal dress for her age and not like she's ten/twenty years older than she is. Most other royals seem to do that and it's so sad to me.

Has anyone found a link to the runway show for that dress?

It looks much MUCH better on Meghan than the model, imo... the skirt seems a bit fuller and I think she had it modifed to remove the slits. Well done Meghan.

I wonder if we will see her wear this dress as an open vest over another dress in the future? Maybe that'd be too much. Love this dress.

Now I have hope we'll see her in some stylish coat dresses in the future. Emphasis on stylish. Please no run of the mill prim coat dresses. I just saw one the other day that was gorgeous. And there is a red double breasted one I saw Miroslava Duma (a street style star and fashion mag owner) wearing some time back... Meghan would look smashing in something like that too.

What color would you pair with this as an open vest though? I would think black, but then many would get on me about the black/navy thing, which in today's fashion, isn't actually a faux pas. I've seen several designer specifically having that combination together.

As for coat dress. Maybe late fall/early winter? She seems to prefer pants when there is a walk about included in the engagement in the winter, which no one can really blame her for.

What color would you pair with this as an open vest though? I would think black, but then many would get on me about the black/navy thing, which in today's fashion, isn't actually a faux pas. I've seen several designer specifically having that combination together.

Well a navy dress (in a knit fabric) would be a simple one, but in my head I saw her wearing cream/ivory underneath. Or even an all navy ensemble with pants. I don't know that she'd rock it like that to an official engagement - maybe something more low key.

As for coat dress. Maybe late fall/early winter? She seems to prefer pants when there is a walk about included in the engagement in the winter, which no one can really blame her for.

That's true - she could also rock this over an all navy base - like a turtleneck and flare or wide leg pants (hemmed at the right length :lol:).

Her casual relaxed style is refreshing in the royal world.
Very nice dress.
With the freezing temperatures these last days, I get cold looking at her bare arms... even if it’s inside [emoji23]

The dress is nice but the first thing I thought of was summer. I’m not bashing Meghan JMO.

PRECISELY my point, but criticism is VERBOTEN..

I love Meghan and Harry too...but let's call a spade a spade shall we? Criticism is valid. When I first saw the dress, I thought that it was best suited for summer.
Nice to see a dress and some colour though.

Hope to see photos of when she arrived and the coat she wad wearing as London experienced a lot of snow!

Now that’s more like it. Finally some sort of color that doesn’t swallow her whole. This is why I keep saying her constant use of neutral, let alone neutral on neutral, does not work for her- it makes her disappear in the outfit. She needs color, the dress and the color were perfect. The shoulder of the dress was to die for.

Anything but that awful black on black or brown on brown with white.

As for using the dress as a vest: a peach sweater (maybe with a turtle neck), and dark trousers or blue jeans. Booties, similar shade to the pants or black.

Her casual relaxed style is refreshing in the royal world.
Very nice dress.
With the freezing temperatures these last days, I get cold looking at her bare arms... even if it’s inside [emoji23]

I agree. Meghan's style is so refreshing, and it's nice to see her sticking to her personal aesthetic. It's nice to see her in some color, and cool that she and Kate are both wearing shades of blue. I love the shoes, and I would like to see a fuller view of the dress on Meghan. It doesn't look that good or flattering on the model. Meghan pulls it off well, as she usually does with her choices. It doesn't strike me as something I would like, nor would suit me.

The dress is from Wu's 2018 resort collection, so yes bare arms. Isn't it cool to not always go with the expected and to dare to be different and to walk outside the prescribed lines! It recalls to my mind Michelle Obama wearing dresses with bare arms during the winter, attending her husband's speech to the Congress. Certainly Meghan wore a coat to the event, and she may even have worn comfortable boots and then switched to the strappy shoes inside before going on stage.

Meghan is definitely her own woman, and it doesn't look like she's planning to change her style or flavor to the point where she loses who she is. She's adapting quite well it seems, as she's taking it rather easily, low-key and confidently with her sartorial choices. It looks like what Meghan is bringing to the British royal family is only helping to refresh that old-fashioned institution and enhancing what the young royals already believe in and are passionate about.

Last edited:
PRECISELY my point, but criticism is VERBOTEN..

I agree, the sleeveless dress makes me cold even indoors in the middle of winter. I think this look is more like an early autumn, late spring dress. Very attractive but not in February unless in the southern hemisphere.

Many of our women newscasters wear sleeveless dresses all the time and I don't like it on them in the winter either. It looks silly. There have even been articles critical of this "uniform."

Somehow, I don't like the outfit. It feels like it's 2 sizes too big and it is inappropriate for such a cold February day. This is typical of Americans: they don't dress "seasonally!"

Also, those rings on the thumbs and index fingers are tacky and, honestly, diminish the beauty (and significance) of the engagement ring in my opinion.

Finally, had it been Eugenie or Beatrice wearing the same outfit, criticism would have been rampant and accepted.

Somehow, I don't like the outfit. It feels like it's 2 sizes too big and it is inappropriate for such a cold February day. This is typical of Americans: they don't dress "seasonally!"

Finally, had it been Eugenie or Beatrice wearing the same outfit, criticism would have been rampant and accepted.

I don't know if the not dress seasonally is an American thing. After all, I've seen a lot of royal ladies in simply stocking a dress in the dead of winter. You can't tell me that's dressing seasonally. Last I checked, they aren't Americans. As for it being 2 sizes too big, I'm just not seeing it. And I think that's a general confusion for me in this thread with people constantly talking about things being too big for her. Just because it's not tailored to fit her body to the 1/16 inch doesn't mean it's not the right size. Some clothes are meant to be loose fitting as clearly show by the model on the runway that wore the dress. Meghan actually fits better and looks better in that dress.

As for Eugenie and Beatrice being criticized, that's because they look ridiculous in the outfits they chose a lot of times. Whereas Meghan doesn't pick clothes that make her look silly. Whether it's to anyone's taste here or not, that's a different story.

Last edited:
inappropriate for such a cold February day. This is typical of Americans: they don't dress "seasonally!"

Poor love won't really have 'cracked' the British Women's dress code until she takes a 'cardi' EVERYWHERE..

Meghan looked beautiful! Most importantly, she is a powerful defender of women's rights. I loved her fearlessness. She definitely was not afraid to stand with women! I adore her! Meghan is not a 1950's housewife; she's worked hard and paid her own way. I can relate because I've had to do the same. Her clothes will never be the star; she has too many important things to do and say. She wants to make a difference.

I don't get how the dress is 2 sizes too big...it's not skin tight but it looks well fitted in the stills and video I've seen.

Seasonal dressing? Is there some rule that women must dress a certain way in a certain month? Are we back to you can't wear white after X month?

If the woman wants to wear a sleeveless dress in Feb ..who cares?

Myself tend to wear lighter materials year round. I stay warm. You are never going to find me wearing a sweatshirt even when it's 10 degrees outside.

LaRae

Well, I saw above someone referring to British newscasters also wearing sleeveless dresses in the dead of winter so maybe, jacqui24, you're right, it's not an American thing anymore...! However, only in the US, I've had difficulties explaining salespersons the difference between wool and cotton, explaining friends what a "closet's change-of-season" is, etc.! But maybe it has to do more with the fact that now we're all air-conditioned in our cars, in stores, etc.!
The dress itself is probably not meant to be tailored (a good view here https://shop.nordstrom.com/s/jason-..._-1&siteId=TnL5HPStwNw-EbAMuf..FiSJ_oyYqHs5iQ) but it's odd. I'd love to see a view of Miss Markle standing but I haven't found one. The dress (without epaulettes) is not in stores so it looks like she may have borrowed it directly from Wu's showroom which would explain why (always in my opinion...!) it does not fit too well.

Although I rarely like their choices, I really don't think Beatrice and Eugenie choose their outfits to make themselves "look silly" like you're implying. I think they just don't have a good sense of style but think they look good. Well, I have seen MM wearing better outfits but I still don't like her style. And for me, style also means, hair, posture, and jewelry choices. It will be interesting to see if and how she evolves.

Last edited:
Going to chance a comment despite the inevitable backlash (most often followed by the ever-present accusations), but there's just something about what she wears that makes her seem a bit, unapproachable maybe? Not sure how to quite put it into words but when I look at her I still see 'celebrity'. When I look at Kate I don't see that and never really did, but I suppose there's time for that.

I like Meghan, I've been a Suits fan for years but this is all quite Rachel Zane still.

A bit of colour other than navy, black, grey or beige would be nice though.

Not a fan of the dress it does look to me unsuitable summer dress in winter etc But I think she will wear what she likes if it’s suitable or not.

In every outfit and appearance Meghan has made she comes across to me as an actress playing a royal rather than a royal in her own right.

It’s like she still partially lives in a celebrity world. A little gravitas would go a long way.

If the woman wants to wear a sleeveless dress in Feb ..who cares?

LaRae

With all due respect, If you don't care what women wear then, maybe, you're in the wrong thread...:flowers: ?

No, seriously, there must be a limit, right? I don't particularly "CARE" if a woman wants to wear a bikini in January on the street, but, am I allowed to say that she looks silly? I've seen 20 year-old wearing flip-flops in the snow, their feet red and swollen, am I allowed to teach my children not to do that or they will get a cold? Or shall I just day: "Look! A fearless young man walking in flip-flops in the snow! Good for him!"

Also, what's wrong with 1950s women?? :flowers:

Not a fan of the dress it does look to me unsuitable summer dress in winter etc But I think she will wear what she likes if it’s suitable or not.
Good for her. It's 2018! Meghan is passionate about the issues. Style over substance is over!

I've not gotten any sense of actress or role playing when I've seen her...she's still finding her feet and I think nerves get to her at times... I sometimes wish she had more umph in her clothing but I haven't found anything to be inappropriate.

LaRae

I love this, the oversized coats and trousers had me snoring, but I do really like this look. I think it's going to take people getting used to Meghan's style sense, and I'm sure we'll see changes and some form of conformity or change/growth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom