Meghan Markle's Fashion and Style Part 1: November 2017 - May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Meghan seems like she's going to be "damned if does and damned if she doesn't". I can see both sides of the argument but I largely agree with Somebody on this matter - I think most people are so caught up on the fact that they are seeing the royal themselves that they generally don't really pay attention to what they are wearing. And, as Somebody said; of course, a nice outfit is a bonus.

Whilst I do think the suit isn't exciting and feels like it's something one would wear to an office meeting; it's nice nevertheless.

:previous: I have to admit I am enjoying the 'surprise' of what Meghan chooses to wear. It seems to be a combination of what's in her wardrobe, what she needs and her own personal style. Added to that are the "firsts" such as the first hat at Christmas.

I watched a programme that really slated her for carrying a handbag instead of a clutch . . . major faux pas they declared. I wondered if they had ever watched our very own Queen who uses a handbag daily and has done all her life. Personally, I loathe the "figleaf pose", whereby the hands are invariably both holding a clutch as a figurative figleaf and it looks both uncomfortable and awkward not to mention fodder for the less high minded. Fortunately, it doesn't look as bad with a handbag?

The Times had an op-ed about how Meghan is sourcing her separates? How does she even know about them? A factory trying to revive the denim trade in Wales, she wore their black jeans and they received 20 times the orders and didn't know what was happening. Same with the little green handbag (I want it) from a company who supports vaccines for international aid agencies. Sold out and they didn't know why. KP's only statement was that members of the BRF do not accept commercial gifts and all clothes and accessories are purchased. It's driving journalists and fashion commentators demented. See, everything has an upside!

Regardless, I am pleased to see that Meghan appears to be staying true to herself and Harry is making no attempt to squish her into a mould as evidenced by her stunning Alexander McQueen tux. She hasn't broken any hard and fast rules although I am tempted to pronounce forever pushing her hair behind her ear as a no-no. An elegant hair accessory could help.

To those fans of Ms Markle who seem to think there are but two extremes - 'Hollywood' and 'office-wallah', I urge you to consider the MASSIVE spectrum, [and choices] that lie between them..

It is more than possible to be elegant/low key/individualistic and yet 'special' enough to fulfill the expectations of the public that, as QEQM memorably said- [I paraphrase]

'They wear their best to meet me, so I do the same in return' ?

Is that too much to ask in return for a life of PROFOUND privilege ?

I think the point is that what one considers Hollywood, boring, elegant, etc. is simply a matter of opinion. We aren't all ever going to agree on what is or looks best. So really, Meghan should just continue to dress with her own style preferences in mind.

I think the point is that what one considers Hollywood, boring, elegant, etc. is simply a matter of opinion. We aren't all ever going to agree on what is or looks best. So really, Meghan should just continue to dress with her own style preferences in mind.

Totally agree. :flowers: She needs to be true to what pleases her. She seems to have good instincts anyway. In any case, she will bring a new spin to what is considered 'acceptable'. She shouldn't be abiding by Princess Grace's standards, for example. Different time. Or even Catherine's. Different person, and when she does a compromise, it's jarring (like she did once so far). ;)

To those fans of Ms Markle who seem to think there are but two extremes - 'Hollywood' and 'office-wallah', I urge you to consider the MASSIVE spectrum, [and choices] that lie between them..

It is more than possible to be elegant/low key/individualistic and yet 'special' enough to fulfill the expectations of the public that, as QEQM memorably said- [I paraphrase]

See the problem is that she is :flowers:

Meghan is dressed up. She is what a 36 year old woman with an interest in clothes and style, would wear for an evening out.

What a woman in her 90's sees as 'dressing up' or a woman in her 70s, 60s or 50s even like the older royal women are going to be different. The shock to the system is the only 30 something royal we have had in the past decade is a woman who clings to a vintage look and honestly could share clothes with Sophie.

The people who come out to see royals like Harry and Meghan, are going to be younger. The people who look and care about fashion.

Well we all get inspiration. If you want to watch the vintage/50's house look you can watch Kate. If you have a more modern sleek aesthetic, you now have Meghan. Nice mix.

Meghan is never going to please everyone, she should please herself. As long as she is appropriate that is all that matters.

Meghan seems like she's going to be "damned if does and damned if she doesn't". I can see both sides of the argument but I largely agree with Somebody on this matter - I think most people are so caught up on the fact that they are seeing the royal themselves that they generally don't really pay attention to what they are wearing. And, as Somebody said; of course, a nice outfit is a bonus.

Whilst I do think the suit isn't exciting and feels like it's something one would wear to an office meeting; it's nice nevertheless.
like all royals ... she is not the only and not the first nor be the last.
please don't feel i am criticising you're post but i notice alot try to show her as victim that she is attcked no matter what wich is not true in my opinion;like all the royals in spotlight she will not please everyone that's all nothing personel.

please don't feel i am criticising you're post but i notice alot try to show her as victim that she is attcked no matter what wich is not true in my opinion;like all the royals in spotlight she will not please everyone that's all nothing personel.

I wasn't trying to portray her as the victim, I was just stating an unfortunate fact. Fashion is not normally personal and as a regular contributor to the fashion forums I'm aware of that. I just wanted to add my thoughts to the discussion.

^^ Let's face it. Meghan Markle is a very stylish and classy young lady who generally always gets it right and looks fabulous no matter what she's wearing. Meghan has got more to her than meets the eye too, and that's saying something because she's gorgeous!

Of course, there will always be criticisms of high profile royals, in the British royal family especially. Meghan is the newest member marrying into the family (Eugenie's fiance has been around for awhile, despite only officially marrying into the family later this year). Meghan brings class, sartorial sass, a bit of ethnic dash, and a breath of fresh air with her into the ancient hallways and mores of the British royals. It's quite lovely and fascinating to witness. :D

Whether or not Meghan 'pleases everyone,' she is more than pleasing to everyone who actually matters within her sphere of influence! Plus, she's appreciated and admired by plenty more among the masses of people who bear her goodwill. Even people who admire Meghan aren't going to like everything she chooses to wear 100% of the time. That's the fun thing about watching fashionable ladies strut their stuff.

Personally, I'm surprised at all the dark colors, but at the same time, I also understand that Meghan enjoys wearing a simple palette. The other thing too is that we only have a handful of royal engagements she's attended so far to go by, and that's simply too few to be making OTT judgments. I think our expectations are overly high right now and unreasonable for the most part. Once I realized what the Endeavour event was about, what Meghan wore seems very on point. She was NOT looking to take any undue attention away from the award participants. Plus, as someone already mentioned, Kate was in Norway wearing a gorgeous evening gown. It's kinda cool that Meghan and Kate were both wearing Alexander McQueen in totally different venues and for completely different occasions. Meghan could have worn a pantsuit in a color like burgundy, but black is generally always in style and the cut of that tux is fabulous. It worked well with what Harry was wearing too. I think the styling of the tux is unexpected, but the actual wearing of pants with a blazer was not surprising to fashion observers who know Meghan and who knew what the casual dress code was for the event.

Right now, Meghan isn't too concerned it seems with breaking new ground through what she wears. She's following her own instincts and her own sense of style and what works for her with a bit of understated edge. She's always been appropriate to the occasion, nicely groomed and stylish. It strikes me that Meghan is not trying to stand out with what she's wearing -- she is doing some 'statement' dressing in terms of wearing British designers and promoting socially conscious products. Since all eyes are going to be on Meghan anyway during her public engagements, she has no need to be flashy or call extra attention to herself. That's not her aim in any case. We will certainly see Meghan evolve and grow in her roles as a royal lady, a helpmate, a mother, and a fashionista. She's not married yet, so let's relax and enjoy, if that's possible. ?

Last edited:
I would have liked a little pop of color in the last outfit but you know what, Megan looked in the mirror and was happy with what she saw and that's what counts. I hope she always stays true to herself!

It's almost like you're saying she should be so grateful to be in this position that she dresses in a way you approve?

It's not like she's dressing in a burlap sack. And her outfits have been uber stylish (trust me) and very much on trend - AND she's bringing attention and money to British brands that support great causes.

I feel like she gets and understands the importance of her role and position better than some of us do.

Also - if she never wears bright jewel tones and colors I will be fine with that because she's sticking to her style. She has worn color in the past, but it's usually done very deliberately. I hope she sticks to that. Sometimes some of the BRF wears colors and it just ends up looking very 80s Middle America and I can't stand that kind of PTA mom style of dressing. It's like Talbots vomited on the BRF. The only exception to this is HMQ - she gets it right because she goes all in. The rest - nope.

I think we will see more color on Meghan - but it will be strategic. The base of her wardrobe will probably always read neutral. I love that - it's so much easier to mix and match that way.

Her dress right now actually reminds me of the time leading up to joining my sorority... because it was frowned upon to wear the colors of any sorority, I ended up in a lot of blacks, navy blues, taupe, beige, camel, etc.. and other neutrals. You're meant to be discreet and not call too much attention to yourself with your clothes. You're supposed to look nice and put together, but not flashy. But of course everyone knew that this was the uniform of anyone interested in two particular sororities on campus so they knew anyway, :lol:

But this "discreet" mindset kind of matches what she might be thinking about the tour of the UK since she's not officially a royal yet.

I don't know how many of the people that's met her was disappointed by her outfit. It seems to be people from here that's disappointed because she doesn't wear a lot of colors. Which is the individualistic part. She simply likes neutral colors. She's never going to wear colors like HMQ or Kate, because it's not her individual style. What I've noticed based on her past choices is that she tends to wear more color when it's a one piece (though not guaranteed) and go more neutral with separate pieces.

It also depends on what you see as style though, isn't it? I saw her McQueen suit as modern and sassy, rather than a boring office suit, and thought she looked like a badass and absolutely loved it. I also thought it was very modern moreso than typical office suit. I often wear suits to the office, and as a relatively young person, I do look for more modern looks. But even compared to that, that was not your average suit. The cut, the cropped pants, the collar, and the the tailored tux look does make it much more glamorous.

That suit sent a statement that she'll dress appropriately, but add her own individuality to it. I think this is the first time that it became absolutely clear to me that she'll absolutely wear what suits her (no pun intended) while respecting the boundaries of her role. It was highly unexpected especially given she is in early stage of the role. And I understand those that prefer the colorful and typical royal outfits didn't like it.

The one outfit that I feel like Meghan kind of took out a lot of individuality was the Sandringham outfit, which is my least favorite to date. It just felt odd on her. Maybe it was the hat and she needs more practice before she gets it right, but I do feel like overall she was more concerned with what's expect than finding a happy compromise that satisfied both that and her individuality.

All in all, I'm not seeing how her fashion choices so far violates what the QEQM said other than modern style has a different take.

Last edited:
:previous: You could not have said this better. That tux suit was indeed loaded with design elements.
I loved it. And I loved it for the event and for an event on the same night as a semi-big Cambridge event. If nothing else, it was a a sign of respect to the Norwegians to not steal the spotlight. Good on her. :flowers:

The one outfit that I feel like Meghan kind of took out a lot of individuality was the Sandringham outfit, which is my least favorite to date. It just felt odd on her. Maybe it was the hat and she needs more practice before she gets it right, but I do feel like overall she was more concerned with what's expect than finding a happy compromise that satisfied both that and her individuality.

Your last sentence, that's it! ;) It felt to me like she was duly respectful of the unusual nature of her being present at Sandringham, and she was trying to be a 'British Royal', 'fit in' (though we didn't see the dress, only the coat, which was her, I think). It was that hat. :huh:

If Meghan tries to 'blend in' with the BRF style sense it will be a disaster for her. JMO. :flowers:

Your last sentence, that's it! ;) It felt to me like she was duly respectful of the unusual nature of her being present at Sandringham, and she was trying to be a 'British Royal', 'fit in' (though we didn't see the dress, only the coat, which was her, I think). It was that hat. :huh:

If Meghan tries to 'blend in' with the BRF style sense it will be a disaster for her. JMO. :flowers:

Hmmm given Meghan's statement about tone on tone dressing, I don't think Sandringham was a departure from her style. The coat was totally her, as were the neutral accessories. The burgundy color of the dress was definitely her.

Maybe we could argue the hat wasn't really her - but how would we know - we've never seen her in a hat before?

I still have fascinators mostly because I don't yet "get" hats yet - or I don't exactly know how to pick them ... I think Meghan chose a hat that was kinda like a beret. It wasn't my favorite hat, but it was very stylish and it fit her tone on tone style perfectly.

Sandringham - even with the hat - was one of my favorite outfits and I'd say it was quintessentially Meghan. Very infused with her own sense of style - and very modern. She actually stood out to me among the rest of the royals because of that. In a good way, of course.

:previous: You could not have said this better. That tux suit was indeed loaded with design elements.
I loved it. And I loved it for the event and for an event on the same night as a semi-big Cambridge event. If nothing else, it was a a sign of respect to the Norwegians to not steal the spotlight. Good on her. :flowers:

I also loved that both Kate and Meghan were wearing McQueen on the same night. That couldn't have been a coincidence.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know that they knew...that would depend on how chatty they are with each other.

LaRae

Hmmm given Meghan's statement about tone on tone dressing, I don't think Sandringham was a departure from her style. The coat was totally her, as were the neutral accessories. The burgundy color of the dress was definitely her.

Maybe we could argue the hat wasn't really her - but how would we know - we've never seen her in a hat before?

I still have fascinators mostly because I don't yet "get" hats yet - or I don't exactly know how to pick them ... I think Meghan chose a hat that was kinda like a beret. It wasn't my favorite hat, but it was very stylish and it fit her tone on tone style perfectly.

Sandringham - even with the hat - was one of my favorite outfits and I'd say it was quintessentially Meghan. Very infused with her own sense of style - and very modern. She actually stood out to me among the rest of the royals because of that. In a good way, of course.

I think my problem with that outfit, other than it was my least favorite color :)lol:), was just that it was too much. I know people kept complaining about her coat, but I thought it was perfectly fine and fitted fine too. I didn’t have a problem with the dress even though we didn’t really see it. My issue was with the hat, gloves, bag, and boots. Something about how it was put together was just too...much for me. I can’t exactly explain it, but something about how it was all put together just didn’t scream Meghan to me. She did have a lot of pressure on her that day though being that it’s her first Christmas with Harry’s family and the world media had their eyes on her.

I think my problem with that outfit, other than it was my least favorite color :)lol:), was just that it was too much. I know people kept complaining about her coat, but I thought it was perfectly fine and fitted fine too. I didn’t have a problem with the dress even though we didn’t really see it. My issue was with the hat, gloves, bag, and boots. Something about how it was put together was just too...much for me. I can’t exactly explain it, but something about how it was all put together just didn’t scream Meghan to me. She did have a lot of pressure on her that day though being that it’s her first Christmas with Harry’s family and the world media had their eyes on her.

Well that's fair - I didn't think it was too much but maybe others did. ;)

I'm a huge fan of tone on tone dressing and I just loved how well put together it was (to me). The boots, bag, gloves and coat were perfection. I even loved the hat from a color perspective... and the burgundy dress was this perfect cherry on top - a nice spark of color but still in the neutral zone...

It fits my perception that Meghan is strategic with color when she does wear it.

I guess none of us really know her style - style is constantly evolving. I have a few friends who have pegged my style (love tone on tone and edgy contrast), but my style is evolving (actually right now it's in a rut due to some weight I gained over the holidays :eek:). Also - some of my style is situational. If someone tried to predict my wedding gown based on my current wardrobe they'd get it wrong. Kinda how we were all a bit surprised at Meghan's engagement gown (me happily surprised, but then not so surprised).

I think Meghan's style is evolving ... and I also think we don't fully know what her style is yet. She hasn't yet had the opportunity to expand her style to more venues and occasions. So even she might be in flux as to what her style means in the grand scheme of the BRF.

:previous: I do think you are right about her style evolving. And we all go through those changes as our lives evolve. I'd be really interested to see what Meghan's formal wear style will be. Speaking of the burgundy dress, it does fit with her tendency to wear more color when it's a one piece. I think my issue was the overall that outfit didn't have the effortlessness of her other outfits.

But overall, I feel really good about Meghan's ability to keep her individuality in her dressing after the McQueen suit. It's a little ridiculous how much I love that suit actually. I think I figured out why I loved her Stella McCartney coat even though I usually don't like black coats. It's the tux look. That was actually quite unique in a belted coat. I haven't seen too many that are of that style yet.

Last edited:
:previous: I do think you are right about her style evolving. And we all go through those changes as our lives evolve. I'd be really interested to see what Meghan's formal wear style will be. Speaking of the burgundy dress, it does fit with her tendency to wear more color when it's a one piece. I think my issue was the overall that outfit didn't have the effortlessness of her other outfits.

Really? It's so interesting how we're seeing the same outfit but coming to different conclusions...

Is it that it seemed over the top and too matchy matchy? I'm trying to think of how it could have looked more effortless given that she had to wear a hat, it was cold (hence the boots and gloves)... ?

Is this kinda like how they say to take off one accessory before leaving the house? If she'd worn pumps instead of boots would that have helped? She'd have frozen, but would that have helped?

I'm laughing at the effort I'm putting in to understand exactly what you mean - since I often dress similarly to Meghan - especially that outfit.

So #askingformyself :lol:

But overall, I feel really good about Meghan's ability to keep her individuality in her dressing after the McQueen suit. It's a little ridiculous how much I love that suit actually. I think I figured out why I loved her Stella McCartney coat even though I usually don't like black coats. It's the tux look. That was actually quite unique in a belted coat. I haven't seen too many that are of that style yet.

I liked but didn't love the McCartney coat - I thought it looked a bit boxy. But I think if she gets it tailored and nipped slightly in the waist I would then love it. But that's minor.

And yeah - I loved the McQueen tux outfit so much I ran out and bought two tux suits in the same style, but in velvet (black and plum burgundy). I'm going to find a regular tux version, but with wide leg/flare pants instead. And I'm gonna get black AND cream! :lol:

(..)

Really? It's so interesting how we're seeing the same outfit but coming to different conclusions...

Is it that it seemed over the top and too matchy matchy? I'm trying to think of how it could have looked more effortless given that she had to wear a hat, it was cold (hence the boots and gloves)... ?

Is this kinda like how they say to take off one accessory before leaving the house? If she'd worn pumps instead of boots would that have helped? She'd have frozen, but would that have helped?

I'm laughing at the effort I'm putting in to understand exactly what you mean - since I often dress similarly to Meghan - especially that outfit.

So #askingformyself :lol:

I liked but didn't love the McCartney coat - I thought it looked a bit boxy. But I think if she gets it tailored and nipped slightly in the waist I would then love it. But that's minor.

And yeah - I loved the McQueen tux outfit so much I ran out and bought two tux suits in the same style, but in velvet (black and plum burgundy). I'm going to find a regular tux version, but with wide leg/flare pants instead. And I'm gonna get black AND cream! :lol:

I'm starting a new role soon and I'll sort of be living in two cities, so I'm figuring out my work wardrobe for one city and my social wardrobe for another city - although I'm pretty sure I'm going to be carting stuff back and forth.

Yes! I think it was too much matching! I liked it slightly between she didn't put on the gloves. I get it's a dressy situation, but my God, I wasn't used to that. :lol: I still thought she was adorable, but I just felt like Meghan could've done better. I do think this will improve as she spends more time as a member of the BRF and get used to these hats and such. Maybe starting with something that didn't cover her entire head like that would've been better? I think something the size of Autumn Phillips' hat would've been a better choice for starter hat and the fact that she worn a coat that had quite a bit of a collar. Less would've been more on that day, I think.

(..)

To those fans of Ms Markle who seem to think there are but two extremes - 'Hollywood' and 'office-wallah', I urge you to consider the MASSIVE spectrum, [and choices] that lie between them.....

Others have responded to the rest of your post. Re your above comment I think the point is that there are always many choices when dealing with fashion and the ubiquitous question of 'what to wear.' That's even more reason why it's impressive how Meghan always seems to get her looks right for the occasion. None of us are going to like everything she wears 100% because we all have different tastes, preferences, and expectations. All the evidence I've seen from following Meghan and reading about her and seeing pictures of her pre-Harry, tells me she knows a lot about fashion and personal style. She's probably always been interested in clothes and dressing up and so she's seemingly paid attention over the years to learning all she can and to developing her own style. There are many fashion-related clips of Meghan on Youtube, and she's given interviews in the past to a number of magazines, in addition to modeling for fashion-centric publications such as Splash (a Chicago lifestyle mag) and Gritty Pritty (an online fashion & beauty mag founded by an Australian entrepreneur).

As a result of all this evidence, much of it in Meghan's own words, it seems obvious to me that she's very confident about what works for her, but that as she said, her style changed on the set of Suits where she met many top designers. According to Meghan, she still has touches of a laid-back casual California style, but she's learned more about tailoring for fit, wearing luxurious custom designer outfits, and putting together a more polished, sophisticated look. The set of Suits is also where Meghan met her stylist and BFF, Jessica Mulroney. I think Meghan knows what she likes and how to pull looks together but that she also relies on Jessica for specific styling ideas, accessorizing, deciding on appropriate looks for specific occasions, and guidance on go-to designers and product manufacturers. Jessica & Meghan are probably having a blast sharing ideas, planning for the wedding, and deciding on the best looks in the meantime for Meghan's scheduled outings with Harry. I also read recently that Jessica has been providing style guidance to Harry in what he's been wearing. It's obvious that Meghan and Harry coordinate their looks, and Harry has been wearing suits with a bit more modern edge and closely tailored fit.

In regard to a previous indication that you are 'bored' after seeing Meghan's most recent outfits, I can understand the idea that it seems boring for her to wear dark colors back-to-back-to-back, when we were maybe anticipating something different. But I would say look to this most recent event itself and to the dress code. And as well, look to the fact that Meghan is following her own preferred color palette and sense of style. In addition, as I said earlier, she strikes me as not feeling it necessary to call attention to herself. She doesn't need to, and that's not her aim. All eyes are on Meghan anyway. Several comments have already been made here about the fact that Kate was wearing on the same night, a glamorous McQueen gown for a high profile evening event in Norway. That's an additional reason why the Endeavour Awards event was absolutely not the occasion for Meghan to be flashy or attempt to take sartorial center stage. And obviously Meghan wasn't interested in wearing a pop of color either. It definitely is significant IMO that both Kate and Meghan were wearing vastly different looks by the same British designer.

Anyone who happens to be 'bored,' well I think Meghan, if she gave it any thought, would feel quite fine about any and all whiny critics being bored, since her aim is not to entertain and impress unrelenting and persnickety detractors. She can't possibly please everyone all of the time, and I don't think she's ever thought of trying to do that. She seems to be doing very well and becoming even more at ease in her new life.

Last edited:
Yes! I think it was too much matching! I liked it slightly between she didn't put on the gloves. I get it's a dressy situation, but my God, I wasn't used to that. :lol: I still thought she was adorable, but I just felt like Meghan could've done better. I do think this will improve as she spends more time as a member of the BRF and get used to these hats and such. Maybe starting with something that didn't cover her entire head like that would've been better? I think something the size of Autumn Phillips' hat would've been a better choice for starter hat and the fact that she worn a coat that had quite a bit of a collar. Less would've been more on that day, I think.

Ohhhh now I see what you mean. A cute little fascinator would have been really cute too. I thought she looked adorable - something about looking prim underneath that hat was a cute picture... it went with her button nose, :)

I kinda wonder how she's getting her items... it would be nearly impossible for her to go out and shop til she dropped - she's too high profile for that now (that's kinda sad). So I wonder if she's getting selections sent to her to view in private?

Or is she being ushered into places through the back entrance, lol, and seen in private rooms?

She's gonna become quite the online shopper me thinks - if she's not already, lol.

(..)

A couple of private comments have been removed. Please use the PM method for private conversations! Thank you!

Ohhhh now I see what you mean. A cute little fascinator would have been really cute too. I thought she looked adorable - something about looking prim underneath that hat was a cute picture... it went with her button nose, :)

I kinda wonder how she's getting her items... it would be nearly impossible for her to go out and shop til she dropped - she's too high profile for that now (that's kinda sad). So I wonder if she's getting selections sent to her to view in private?

Or is she being ushered into places through the back entrance, lol, and seen in private rooms?

She's gonna become quite the online shopper me thinks - if she's not already, lol.

(..)

Times did an article that talked about someone helping her with her clothing choice. All of her stuff seems to be ordered and shipped to Kensington Palace rather than her going in person according to some of the vendors. A lot of them didn't know that she'd be wearing their stuff until she comes out and then they go search for order records and notice an order with a KP zip code on there. The reason they speculated she's being helped by a fashion adviser is that she's wearing stuff that even fashion editors have to google.

Here is the article, you'll have to register for a free article a week.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/where-meghan-markle-buys-her-clothes-from-it-matters-hbtk66t3l

Last edited:

I kinda wonder how she's getting her items... she's too high profile ... now (that's kinda sad). So I wonder if she's getting selections sent to her to view in private?

Or is she being ushered into places through the back entrance, lol, and seen in private rooms?...

I would think for the most part that the designers and fitters are coming to Meghan unidentified in unmarked transportation. During the M&H courtship, we have seen how the security is very high, professional and effective. They apparently have ways of shielding how Meghan and her team are going about their business. Neither Harry nor William are kidding about protecting their significant others and their private lives.

It is sad, largely for Meghan's former Tig admirers, that Meghan can't be as accessible and can no longer fully share her experiences, fashion tips, and lifestyle tastes. It's still possible though to peruse what was already out there pre Meghan's relationship with Harry heating up. That's certainly what loads of media have been doing: pulling from prior interviews, photographs, quotes, video clips and feature articles.

There have been indications in recent news items that Jessica Mulroney is assisting Meghan stylistically, as usual. I saw a recent profile on Jessica -- she knows her stuff!

It will be interesting if we see Meghan in a fascinator. Probably for the first big family appearance, she preferred to be a bit more formal. And I think the styling of the Sandringham hat was just right: a mix of traditional with a modern twist.

ETA: I posted before seeing your post jacqui. Thanks. The wedding designer is the one who must be coming to the palace discreetly for gown consultation and fittings.

Last edited:
Since so many have been longing for color on Meghan, why not take a look back at some of Meghan's 'best outfits' through the years. She's worn navy; light blue; flower prints in different shades; block colors in geometrical patterns; shades of green; burgundy; deep reds; flame orange in one evening casual dress; an unusual evening gown in blue and red tie dye colors; cream; gold; silver; blue & white striped shorts and jacket; turquoise evening dress; lots of black dresses and separates; black leather pants; white skirts, pants, and dresses; plus embellished biker jackets, etc.:

Meghan Markle's Best Looks: From Deal or No Deal Through to Suits

Additional Meghan fashion looks:
https://www.today.com/slideshow/meghan-markle-t113191

http://globalvillageextra.com/en/in...-exact-wardrobe-from-her-beanie-to-her-heels/

Australian television feature on Meghan's style influence, just before the engagement was announced:

Another photo gallery rundown of different looks:

Last edited:

(..)

Same. The Christmas Day outfit was the one miss for me so far. In general, I think she (and the outfit) looked like she was trying too hard. Plus, she seemed kind of washed out by all the beige and brown tones like she was trying to blend into the background. Given the pressure of the day, I get it. The size and shape of the hat were probably my biggest issue. Once someone described it as an acorn I couldn't unsee it.

While personal style does evolve, I think Meghan's style is pretty well-defined and she's articulated it in a ton of pre-Harry interviews. She knows what works for her and as long as she sticks with that she'll be fine.

:previous: I think you have a point about blending into the background. The one thing I love about Meghan is her confidence in the way she carries herself. Fashion is great, but understanding what your style is and how you feel in it is what makes an outfit work.

As far as I could see the only "new" item of clothing was her hat! Everything else seems to have come from her wardrobe. I think the neutrals would look marvellous in the city but there is no way she could be prepared for the annual Christmas Day Church parade! I think she played it safe and took notes for future reference.

Had Meghan rocked up in an absolutely glorious ensemble she would have been thoroughly lambasted by the media and the forums so, she did the sensible thing, she dressed down a little to scope out the way things are done. I also think the only thing on her mind was giving HM her very first public curtsey and hoping she didn't end up on her butt.

Ohhhh now I see what you mean. A cute little fascinator would have been really cute too.

Nooooooooo!!!!!!! ;) ? I hope she never opts for those things. They look ridiculous (imo): a fashion that was a momentary fad that has far out-lived itself imo. If she takes a cue from anyone I would hope it's Camilla, whose grasp of the hat is glorious. Meghan would/will look so classy in wide-brimmed hats.

I have this theory that fascinators gained momentum because someone thought seeing the face was essential for the crowds. I think that's a mistake. Instead they make the wearer look foolish (to say it nicely). JMO.

I thought she looked adorable - something about looking prim underneath that hat was a cute picture... it went with her button nose, :)

I agree with you. I would never wear such a hat, but somehow it suited her, which is why I never criticized her for it, but it was a startling choice nevertheless. Unique. ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom