Meghan Markle's Fashion and Style Part 1: November 2017 - May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Simple, elegant, not over shadowing anybody as she is not officially part of the royal family as yet, neutral colours...well played.

I actually adore this entire ensemble. She looks very event-appropriate, without being overdone or looking not refined enough. Tan and beige look wonderful on her. I actually like the hat too. As mentioned above, it is quite weird seeing non-hat people wearing hats, but Meghan pulls it off, imo. Her makeup and hair also look lovely. That glow of hapiness is a great aphrodisiac. Great job on the first family outing!

She does look very happy. And I noticed something today about her eyes. They shape of her eyes really makes her look like such a warm person when she smiles. I was trying to put my hand on what it was about her that just seems so sweet feature wise. I think that's it.

The outfit looks better in video. I'm not going to look at the photos anymore. Just video. That color makes me queasy when I look at it in pictures.

Ms Markle looked fine, and 'event appropriate'.

Dislike the Handbag tho'...

I thought she might have a black dress on under her coat ...it's a dark color but I almost thought I saw a pattern like a plaid or tartan.

LaRae

The coat is nice, but I really dislike the hat and the color combo (burgandy, tan and brown).

Last edited:
I love everything about this look from head to toe (including the handbag). Love the colour choice. I am so going to enjoy following her on the fashion front - what a welcome ejection of elegance to the British Royal family.

I saw a picture that made the hat look a tiny bit nicer but I hate that hat.The rest of the outfit is nice

Sentaler has very quickly updated their website with that coat noted as worn by Meghan Markle in description. I noticed earlier S and XL were sold out already, those sizes are now available for pre order. I notice XS was running low too, but no longer showing the last one message, so they must have replenished the quantity available online.

^Burgundy! Now I want to see the dress. Grrrr. :lol:

I think the hat would've been better if it didn't have the side thing. It's always a little awkward to see people who don't usually wear hats wear hats at first. So I'm not going to hate on her for that. :lol:

That's true. I like this better than the fascinators that sit right on the front of the head.

Oooooooo....love that color and fabric feel....wish we could see the dress!!!

LaRae

The hats decoration looks like it was placed wrong on the hat. The coat is trying to fit through the bodice, but failing. It needs to have some fabric trimmed to fit better. She could use some colors with more pop to complement her bronzed skin tone.

She needs to consult her stateside church ladies.(..)

Last edited by a moderator:
Very, very smart attention to detail and matching everything. Though I hate the hat, everything else is fabulous.

She can spend her own money however she likes, but regardless if that dress was purchased privately or not, that dress is grossly overpriced. I have been a long time follower of fashion and not even your most stunningly designed dress from Lanvin by Alber Elbaz (runway) cost that much and that Ralph & Russo dress is not inventive or extraordinarily different to justify the amount it's charged for. Maybe I'm used to the prices at Net-a-Porter and it's clouding my judgement but that dress comes from the runway and is not designed from scratch especially for her.

But it's also not my problem and we should indeed move on.

First off, Merry Christmas everyone!!

Second - this isn’t accurate if the RR gown was Haute Couture - which means it was handmade. Even if it wasn’t yes there are still runway gowns that cost that much and more. Most Valentino gowns I’ve seen up close off the runway are $45k and up - One was nearly $80k. Any Ellie Saab gown would have a similar price tag.

But I think the main reason the dress cost that much is because it’s Haute Couture. Also - given that she might have purchased the gown in London at the flagship store, it could have been the runway sample and thus didn’t cost that much.

We already know the gown is two years old so she didn’t pay full price.

I don’t know why this is such a big deal to people when it was likely HER money and not the taxpayer’s money.

And I’m sure we will see the gown again.

She looks fine but as she has such a small frame, these belted coats swamp her. She looks lovely in fitted coats such as the navy blue one.

I really don't like the hat - it looks out of proportion.

And I'd love to see some more colour - the palette since the engagement is very neutral.

I think that her everyday/working taste does run to neutral. When it's a special event or dressy event then she pops the color or style up.

LaRae

I like the color of her boots & hat with the coat but to me the hat looks too big for her head. I'm sure it is supposed to be that way.
Good color choice, you can see her wearing the light colored coat but it doesn't scream "look at me."

Last edited:
Very stylish look from Meghan. I love everything except the hat. And yeah, it's weird seeing her in hat...maybe that's part of it.

these belted coats swamp her

Agreed, with the big collar, loosely tied belt there is just 'too much going on' so it looks too big [even if it isn't]...

I don't mind the brown/beige color (although I'd of preferred black/beige personally)...or better yet burgundy with black.

LaRae

That's true. I like this better than the fascinators that sit right on the front of the head.

I agree:lol:

The hat looks much better in the video but personally I still don't love it. The decoration is okay to me, and I think the problem is the size/shape of the crown (?). In some angles the crown is in a weird shape.

Agreed, with the big collar, loosely tied belt there is just 'too much going on' so it looks too big [even if it isn't]...

Some of the twitter crowd is saying the coat is too big...I didn't notice that at all. To me the hat is the only wrong element ...it's too York girls in style.

LaRae

I really like her in burgundy so I hope we get to see the dress.

Her outerwear, hat and boot combo is exactly what I think of with her style. I love the tone on tone color choice (always been a favorite of mine). The coat is gorgeous - but needs to be tailored (I’m sure it will be eventually).

I wonder what her outfit looks like sans coat?

The hat... I’m not great at wearing hats myself (I tend to choose fascinators) so I like her choice for her. If you’re gonna wear a hat then that’s a cute demure one to wear. I probably would have preferred a fascinator instead but I don’t hate the hat. I’m still learning to wear hats myself so ... I probably wouldn’t have chosen it but I think she was trying to sync her outerwear. It’s why I wish we could see the whole ensemble.

I also like the colors she chose. The BRF is so earthy a lot of times - kinda LL Bean in their color choices and use of suede. I think that’s why I love her outfit - even though the hat isn’t my taste it feels like the perfect way to blend in with the rest of the family while also having a slightly modern edge.

I just went back to look at the hat again and it’s really growing on me. But I wasn’t one of the people who didn’t like Beatrice/Eugenie’s hats - I thought they were very fashion forward and modern. This is similar but way toned down. I’ve decided that I like it. I’m gonna go find video now so I can see this in motion.

But she looks radiant and so happy. She’s such a naturally glamorous woman - what a welcome addition to the RF.

Last edited:
Is that a hat that fits completely on the top of the head or does in lean towards the side in a beret fashion? I hate the color brown so I'm not in love with the hat or boot colors.

Agreed, I think the coat is fine. It's not super tailored but it doesn't need to be...it's a wrap coat. Lol

Is that a hat that fits completely on the top of the head or does in lean towards the side in a beret fashion? I hate the color brown so I'm not in love with the hat or boot colors.

I've now watched multiple videos with pics - I think it's more of a beret style. One of the articles I read actually called it a beret.

Agreed, I think the coat is fine. It's not super tailored but it doesn't need to be...it's a wrap coat. Lol

I think it's the sleeves that are likely drawing the "too big" comments.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom