Meghan Markle's Fashion and Style Part 1: November 2017 - May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ANY dissent, or alternative views are vociferously STAMPED on, by the Ms Markle devotees, in often rather intemperate tones. It makes it awfully one-sided and LESS than chummy...

I think she looked fabulous and probably thought using a gown already in her wardrobe or "available" was a no brainer. Seems to some it was a big mistake . . . HUGE!

ANY dissent, or alternative views are vociferously STAMPED on, by the Ms Markle devotees, in often rather intemperate tones. It makes it awfully one-sided and LESS than chummy...

I don't think that is an accurate assessment. I don't think even most people who like the dress have an issue with those who didn't personally like it or didn't like it for engagement photos.

The strong dissent comes when some people emphatically state things like the dress was inappropriate and disrespectful to the BRF because it was couture or sheer (which hers wasn't) and that clearly Meghan is out of her depth or isn't trying to fit in....

Last edited:

Seems like mean-spirited gossip is discouraged on this forum.

I don't think that is an accurate assessment. I don't think even most people who like the dress have an issue with those who didn't personally like it or didn't like it for engagement photos.

The strong dissent comes when some people emphatically state things like the dress was inappropriate and disrespectful to the BRF because it was couture or sheer (which hers wasn't) and that clearly Meghan is out of her depth or isn't trying to fit in....

No kidding! I'm not even a big fan of the dress (I don't like the skirt at all).

That said, it's not trashy, it's not Hollywood and the cost is right in line with designer dresses worn by the women in the BRF. I could care less if she paid full price, half price or got it on loan....it's her money.

LaRae

Just looking through British Royal family official engagement photos . There has frequently been a mix of photos featuring day dress and informal outfits juxtaposed with at least one where a ball gown has featured.
Both Sarah and Diana had such photos and have just found this of Anne.
https://www.onewed.com/photos/princ...line-wedding-dress-for-engagement-photo-20415
I also have several old souvenir booklets for Princess Margaret and Alexandra who also had a formal pic in a ball gown. Admittedly these were all more formal settings but Meghan choosing to wear a gown is not out of place at all.

I’m not a fan of the dress either. The skirt and top look mis-matched to me. But I wouldn’t much care for either part separately tbh.

But, Meghan wears it well. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with it.

Nicely spotted. Anne's photo is a classic romantic shot and my favourite from her engagement set. It is a rare moment when Anne allowed her inner girlish dreams take flight as did Meghan in her evening gown. Yet neither photo shows what we would consider their own personal style - it's more a statement of how they felt, lovely and loved.

I'm not a fan of the dress especially the bottom half, but it was only visible in the candid shot. Plus many on here are probably tired of the sly insulting comments about Meghan and her glamour and being a Hollywood actress.

I was really disappointed in the dress. Busy stitching in the wrong color or one that doesnt do much for her and flouncy kind of skirt that has a feathery look. I am a big Meghan fan, but just don't happen to understand the dress here.

I also agree with those that feel like it would have been better to wear something more believable for an outdoor setting on the grass. Not a formal ball gown/evening dress.

I have no idea about the usual cost of Royals clothes, I expect them to wear expensive clothes, and I also know that this isnt a predictor of what she will do in the future, but for one of your first pictures wearing something that costs more than most people earn in a year is not a good statement. It is even rather offensive and strikes a dissonant note when her focus will be on charity work.

I don't feel a royal has anything to prove through clothing or conspicuous consumption, so my view is that they shouldnt emulate the super wealthy in that regard. So I will have to agree with those that feel it was an inappropriate choice.

Last edited:
It is more daring than anything the current members of the royal family would do, but it’s tastefully done and taking chances is what makes fashion great. .

I love these engagement photos and think they are some of the best pics I have ever seen. As far as daring, this dress is really not even as daring as the the gown Kate wore to the last state dinner. It was very low cut and showed a lot of cleavage.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct...aw1hgNozGCcIU2Jd8nAMXppJ&ust=1514067063480211

And, just to clarify for anyone reading my post, I am not comparing Kate and Meghan. I LOVE them both and look forward to following both their fashion. I am just pointing out that the publications, like the one jacqui24 pointed out in post #371, that are talking about Meghan's dress being daring to the point of being history making, are conveniently forgetting even more daring dresses worn by members of the BRF when it suits their narrative. And yes, this was an engagement photo, but all photos taken of members of the BRF become a part of history.

Last edited:
I am hoping that we can all agree to disagree that some like the gown and some don't for that is what opinions are all about and no need to put anyone to shame for their opinion........liking this gown or not does not mean anyone here is a pearl clutcher or even disliking Meghan herself....

What the gown says to one does not mean it says to another.......hence very different opinions......:flowers:

Let's be nice boys, ladies are up and awake and we do not want any trouble today.....coffee or tea is available for those that want it....:chef:?

(..)

I will wait to hear from Harry and Meghan about the Christmas Luncheon before I rush to inform Meghan that she is supposed to feel insulted or offended.

Last edited by a moderator:
(..) I am getting very tired of the furore over Meghan's so-called expensive engagement outfit.

And I'll have a nice coffee, M. Payton, with some frothy milk. I'm looking forward to seeing the Church walk tomorrow.

so-called expensive engagement outfit

IF 56k doesn't strike you as expensive i'd love to see your clothes budget..!

I cannot wait to see what Meghan has on tomorrow, it will be interesting!

LaRae

IF 56k doesn't strike you as expensive i'd love to see your clothes budget..!

I think when you look at the other members of the BRF and their clothes and we know at times what they spend...she is not off the mark.

LaRae

she is not off the mark.

I'm sorry but she IS, because
she is not [yet] Royal, and
because unfavourable comparisons ARE being made at the contrast with the Duchess of Cambridge's engagement photo-shoot choices, and their VASTLY less eye-watering cost.

So what if comparisons are being made? The media is going to go back and forth forever either loving or hating members of the BRF. They build them up awhile and then they try to drag them down.

People need to stop letting the media form their opinions. If someone just thinks it's crazy to spend that (and we don't know the cost) on a dress that's fine too. That doesn't mean there needs to be this 'tearing down' that goes on. The 'outrage' as if wealthy people (Royals) don't spend a lot of money on clothing/jewelry etc. Who are they trying to kid?

LaRae

Wait a minute!!!! She is not yet royal so she can`t spend her own hard earned money???
Give me a break!!!!

And as for comparisons with Kate...the media is going to do that regardless!! The difference is that Meghan is a mature woman with an establish career and her own money when she got engaged. Kate did not have an established career and relied on her parents for financial support.

I'm sorry but she IS, because
she is not [yet] Royal, and
because unfavourable comparisons ARE being made at the contrast with the Duchess of Cambridge's engagement photo-shoot choices, and their VASTLY less eye-watering cost.

So millionaires other than royals aren’t allowed to buy expensive clothes? That’s an....interesting view.

And really, it’s only the people that doesn’t like her that cares about the unfavorable comparison even if there are facts conveniently left off to make the arguement. Confirmation bias at its finest.

Last edited:
Not to be totally argumentative here...

Everyone must realize that Meghan is a woman that has worked hard for what have. She’s not coming into the royal family relying on them for some financial support right now. She’s a successful woman with her own sense of style and resources. She can personally afford what we see on her. The expensive earrings and all.

Why would anyone want Meghan to dull herself down just to please others?

From the sound of it, the British media and royal watchers, would lose their minds if they had, Meghan’s soon-to-be European royal counterparts, as their principal royals. Those ladies wear very expensive wardrobes on a regular bases and they’re still seen as “down to earth women.”

Last edited:
Totally agree Dman. I hope Meghan continues to embrace her own style and doesn't feel any pressure to to look like any other royal spouse. I don't want to see her in pill hats and dress coats in every color.

Really looking forward to what she wears tomorrow, the choice of hat especially.

I find the dress she wore in the official photos awful and too much. But the black outift she wore on December 1 was beautiful and elegant.

Last edited:
Have to say I wasn't initially in love with the dress but the more I looked at the pics, the more I liked it. More than anything else, I love that she took a risk and went with something that will be memorable. I don't think that can be denied, whether or not one liked the dress.

I find the dress she wore in the official photos awful and too much. But the black outift she wore on December 1 was beautiful and elegant.

I don't think the engagement photo dress was awful. I liked the top of it a lot, the skirt not so much-but that's personal taste. It was a special occasion dress that she wore for a special occasion. Personal choice.

Meghan wore a black turtleneck on Dec 1, not a black outfit. Her coat was navy, her skirt was tan. She looked like she was at work, so it was appropriate for the event. She looked nice, but it was not at all special.

:previous: I was also referring her black coat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom