Meghan Markle's Fashion and Style Part 1: November 2017 - May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The lesson which Meghan will hopefully learn from the furor over the cost of the engagement dress is to have her expensive dresses be bespoke so that the public does not have a number to fixate on. Sure wealthy people can afford 50-60,000 for a dress, but when the average person only spends that amount for say, a new car, it just sounds frivolous and a tad irresponsible particularly if this couple will be spearheading efforts in the future asking average/ordinary hard working people to donate to various causes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh I get it. I don't always agree with some of the fashion criticism that some of the royal ladies receive, but it unfortunately comes with the territory. I think Meghan will handle it all fine though. She's shown that she knows how to dress for the occasion. Her only misstep so far has been this dress, IMO.

Yeah, I had a good laugh at some of the hat jokes on twitter. :lol:

Eh, we'll have to agree to disagree on the dress. I LOVE everything about the engagement portraits. I thought they were obviously in love and she looked beautiful. I wouldn't have chosen that dress for me, but she looks stunning. I'm not sure if there is much she wear that she wouldn't look stunning in. Maybe some old ugly 80s dress with puffy sleeves.

Anyways, speaking of hats. I can't wait to see what hat Meghan wears on Christmas Day! :wub:

Ms. Markle is a fashionable woman. Hopefully, there is no sister-in-law rivalry with Kate like there was with Diana and Sarah in the '80s and the '90s.

If anything Kate is relieved to have Meghan in the family. Kate has spent the last 10 years having her fashion debated. It’s Meghan’s turn. Kate’s been there and done that.

She’s beeen in the Vanity Fair’s best dressed list for 5 years. She’s in Vanity Fair’s best dressed hall of fame.

It’s time for Meghan to step into the public eye.

When Meghan wore affordable priced jeans to watch a tennis match, in downtown Toronto, during the 2017 Invictus Games there were some royal watchers who complained that a girlfriend of a Prince should’ve worn something better. Now she wears a lovely and expensive gown for her Engagement photos and there are complaints that she should’ve worn something less expensive. LOL!

It is rather amusing. She can't win either way so do your thing Meghan! You look amazing.

Um, it was never cute. The matchy outfits have a very teenage going to prom look at me I’ve got a boyfriend vibe. Co-ordinating so as to not clash for official photographs is altogether different, IMO.
The lesson which Meghan will hopefully learn from the furor over the cost of the engagement dress is to have her expensive dresses be bespoke so that the public does not have a number to fixate on. Sure wealthy people can afford 50-60,000 for a dress, but when the average person only spends that amount for say, a new car, it just sounds frivolous and a tad irresponsible particularly if this couple will be spearheading efforts in the future asking average/ordinary hard working people to donate to various causes.
If you think about it, having bespoken dress so that public wouldn't find out the price tag would actually hike the price as then it would be custom designed and everything. Which kind of serves as a contradiction to all the uproar here about how frivolous it is to spend that much on a dress.

Teehee re all the brouhaha over Meghan's engagement photo attire. ? Yep, I'll bet the Ralph & Russo design is a ballgown Nutmeg already owned. She's been involved in the entertainment industry and participated in fashion shoots as well as attended numerous high profile fashion shows for quite awhile. Meghan has a savvy, connected stylist in Jessica Mulroney, and she's met & befriended top designers and soaked up a knowledge and a taste for high fashion for a long time now.

From every indication, Meghan has always been a feminine girly girl with a casual, edgy style who loves nice clothes and who takes pleasure in enjoying all the good things in life. Why should she stop being who she is now? The gorgeous, expensive ballgown is certainly within her means and offers just the right touch of glam and excitement in a very romantic and ancient English country setting. Wowza!

I agree that all the women in the royal family are likely happy to have Meghan within the fold, livening things up sartorially. ? Meghan is not someone to be jealous of. Both she and her fashion sense are inspirational I think, probably especially for people who have the opportunity to get to know her. Look at all the Meghan fashion blogs and the interest surrounding Meghan's clothes and her fashion savvy as soon as news got out that she was dating Harry.

Zonk earlier made a reference to Meghan's mother's family being from the South (in connection to a discussion about hats). Reportedly, that's not exactly correct. But since the reference to Meghan's family is off-topic in this thread, I will take my response to the appropriate thread.

Last edited:
Rebecca English‏Verified account
@RE_DailyMail
Following Following @RE_DailyMail

Too busy to really tweet today but I've seen conjecture about #MeghanMarkle's @ralphandrusso engagement dress. @MailOnline are absolutely right: it's couture, priced at £56,000 & was paid for privately. But that is not necessarily the price paid and we don't know who purchased it

Rebecca English‏Verified account
@RE_DailyMail
Following Following @RE_DailyMail

Too busy to really tweet today but I've seen conjecture about #MeghanMarkle's @ralphandrusso engagement dress. @MailOnline are absolutely right: it's couture, priced at £56,000 & was paid for privately. But that is not necessarily the price paid and we don't know who purchased it

If you think about it, having bespoken dress so that public wouldn't find out the price tag would actually hike the price as then it would be custom designed and everything. Which kind of serves as a contradiction to all the uproar here about how frivolous it is to spend that much on a dress.

And no complements to the couple for the chemistry? :lol:

Exactly.

Some folks want to put their fingers in their ears, hum loudly, and cling to illusions of royals pretending to live on a budget that doesn't actually exist, I guess.

I don't mind her make-up. What disturbs me more is the very expensive evening dress worn for an official engagement photo. The tradition is a day dress or a suit.

In some of the pictures Meghan looks like she has an inch of makeup on her face

I don't mind her make-up. What disturbs me more is the very expensive evening dress worn for an official engagement photo. The tradition is a day dress or a suit.

Really? Princess Anne must have missed that memo when she had her engagement photos with Mark Phillips taken

https://juliapgelardi.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/annemark22.jpg

Zara & Mike must have missed it as well.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/12/21/article-1340474-0C8E4184000005DC-213_634x549.jpg

And Peter & Autumn.

https://media1.popsugar-assets.com/...Kelly-Engagement-Announcement-August-2007.jpg

Last edited:
:previous: Yes, thanks for sharing. Every bride-to-be has the right to strut their own stuff, and to represent who they really are.

As nice as this dress is, the pricing of it is rather insane. This dress is no better or more beautiful than a 10.000 Valentino or Giambattista Valli dress yet they chose a 56.000 dress? Common sense people..

Seems like over-fixation on the dress and the price of the dress, IMHO. Meghan Markle is a former actor and a down-to-earth diva fashionista with independent wealth. And as others have indicated, the Ralph & Russo luxe couture is probably a ballgown that Meghan already owned (or was loaned) and she possibly could have previously worn it on another occasion that we are not privy to knowing about. To me, the gown is a streamlined, elegant & luxurious but less froufrou version of the Carolina Herrera fanciful ballgown Meghan wore for the Vanity Fair shoot.
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-2DQgVMFm...1FNchALUjmMQCLcBGAs/s1600/meghan+ballgown.jpg
https://78.media.tumblr.com/eae8109a598cdb9478246232c705746f/tumblr_p1bezwuXwa1wjiun1o1_1280.jpg
Meanwhile, I don't see any comments about the white sweater Meghan is wearing in the sweet face-to-face engagement photo. Is it cashmere?

Anyway, it's not so much about what H&M are wearing on the outside, but more-so about what they are wearing and feeling on the inside that shines on the outside. ⭐ I doubt anyone among the royals are feeling put-out about the gown or cost of the gown Meghan is wearing. Harry seems over the moon and copacetic. It's a time for celebration.

Last edited:
Why does the cost of the dress disturb anyone?

There's nothing that says they can do things differently. Zara wore jeans and a jacket! Mike was just as casual.

LaRae

In all the fuss over the price, it may have gone unnoticed that Meghan chose to use British designers. A big boost for the UK fashion industry and no doubt much needed.

Heavens can you imagine if she hadn't used a British company? Lord it doesn't bear thinking about.

LaRae

I seem to remember that Sophie was slammed for having sparkly trim on her engagement suit?
I am in the camp that thinks the R&R selection for the photo is a teaser for what will be future formal-wear style choices. She looks terrific. The dress gives her petite frame a little extra dimension and depth.

They looked perfect, the dress was a dream and I need to dream !!!

(..) She's had 2 public appearances. Both were well done with lower key appropriate clothing.

LaRae

The cost of the gown....well I look at it like this, sure it's her money and she can buy whatever and wear what ever, yet this is not *Hollywood* and the land of make believe that is filled with things and people that I won't mention here. She is marrying into a royal family that has a history that goes back in time, there are traditions and nobody is saying she has to give up her personality here, yet she should be aware of the situation of the family she is marrying into. It is all about respect, even if I had all the money in the world there is no way in hell I would pay 56,000 for a darn gown, that in my book by the designer is called greed. And I am a sewer since childhood, and I know how long it takes to make these type of gowns, I have done hand beading on Spanish lace when I was in fashion design school and that took forever I thought, I do needlework so no designer is ever going to tell me that cost 56,000 whatever is the true cost of making that gown, just add up the fabric and the people that made and I bet my last Popsicle it does not go anywhere near that cost.

The first picture was cute, yet her outfit was not what I would think should be for an engagement photo and Harry needs to learn to dress outside the darn blue suit that makes him look like he is a banker going to work 9/5 each day. Sheer tops are not something I think should be worn in public for a royal, this is not being a celebrity, this is being a royal and I think lots of people are having a hard time telling the 2 different worlds apart. And those 2 worlds can and do collide at times. Meghan is no longer an actress yet she can use some of those skills in being a royal like working with the people and in getting lots of work done in charities where she would know how to connect with people.

The 2nd photo was adorable, that showed their love loud and clear and spot on and really who needs to put Beckman's name out there for more publicity, so it was a nice sweater, no big deal.

(..)

I did not like the gown, sheer with beading on top and tons of ruffles for the skirt screams out at me........to me it was not classy or chic at all and most of all...........this is just MHO here and nothing else and how I view these pictures as we all have very different opinions.

Sheer tops are not something I think should be worn in public for a royal,

(..)

we all have very different opinions.

It was lined--she wasn't showing anything.
I wear sheer tops with a tank top or camisole under them to work--and we have a dress code that says no see through tops, meaning I can wear sheer so long as my undergarments or naked torso aren't showing.

(..)

Very, very true.

As for her own wedding and engagement, I'd say she is the star of that show and that's the way it should be and has always been.

True words. Every woman/every couple are the stars of their own wedding, and that includes all the engagement hoopla too.

The cost of the gown....well I look at it like this, sure it's her money and she can buy whatever and wear what ever, yet this is not *Hollywood* and the land of make believe that is filled with things and people that I won't mention here. She is marrying into a royal family that has a history that goes back in time, there are traditions and nobody is saying she has to give up her personality here, yet she should be aware of the situation of the family she is marrying into. It is all about respect, even if I had all the money in the world there is no way in hell I would pay 56,000 for a darn gown, that in my book by the designer is called greed. And I am a sewer since childhood, and I know how long it takes to make these type of gowns, I have done hand beading on Spanish lace when I was in fashion design school and that took forever I thought, I do needlework so no designer is ever going to tell me that cost 56,000 whatever is the true cost of making that gown, just add up the fabric and the people that made and I bet my last Popsicle it does not go anywhere near that cost.

The first picture was cute, yet her outfit was not what I would think should be for an engagement photo and Harry needs to learn to dress outside the darn blue suit that makes him look like he is a banker going to work 9/5 each day. Sheer tops are not something I think should be worn in public for a royal, this is not being a celebrity, this is being a royal and I think lots of people are having a hard time telling the 2 different worlds apart. And those 2 worlds can and do collide at times. Meghan is no longer an actress yet she can use some of those skills in being a royal like working with the people and in getting lots of work done in charities where she would know how to connect with people.

The 3rd picture to me was what?????? Who walks like that with their hand hanging down.....I was out just recently and tried to walk the way Harry was walking with my arm hanging like that..........very uncomfortable so I think that is the photographer trying something whatever. Meghan looks like she is bending over or stooping over to grab his hand......does that look normal .......not in my eyes it does not.

All in all we all know that they are deeply in love and very committed to each other and are excited about the wedding........yet again this is not La La Land, it is the British Royal Family that she is marrying into which is way more important then anything La La Land could ever do.

I did not like the gown, sheer with beading on top and tons of ruffles for the skirt screams out at me........to me it was not classy or chic at all and most of all...........this is just MHO here and nothing else and how I view these pictures as we all have very different opinions.

Honestly, we all know designers charges a premium for their clothing. That's just the way it works. Do you think Jenny Packham doesn't charge through the nose for a custom gown? Or Sarah Burton? They all do, and this is nothing special. Paying hefty amounts for a designer gown is not breaking with tradition in the BRF. I'd say that ship sailed long before Prince Harry set eyes on Meghan Markle. And the idea that royal family is above all this is just laughable to me or not selling a dream at times is laughable to me. They aren't above it, and they are selling the allure. Or else, what is the point of all the tiaras, the jewels, and the designer clothing? Many have stated that the public aspect of a member of BRF is all about playing a role. And plenty of royal women in the past have worn low cut or revealing gown. The photos didn't show anything others in that family haven't showed before as her dress was much less revealing than the runway with a panel put in.

The one mistake Meghan made here is not have commissioned a custom designed gown, which in reality would've been more expensive. However, it seems to go over better when the public doesn't have specific number to associate with it.

Anyways, as for the third pic, KP said it was a candid. They were likely caught for one second as they were walking and joking around.

Last edited:
:previous:
That is called comparing apples to oranges and your world and Meghan's world are just that, apples and oranges.....they do not mix well so should not be compared as such. Being in the world of royalty is very very different from anything we know, I look at the hard times Mary of Denmark and how well and long it took her to adjust.

I agree what maybe she is having a somewhat confusing time going from one to the other........Harry can and will probably want to make all the changes he wants, and he will do some, yet in the end this is a family deep in traditions and loyalty to the family and the people. He will only go so far in those changes if he wants the monarchy to remain for if it gets too be to much of being like it is from Hollywood then why have them, we can all see Hollywood and what they do each hour of the day and that is not always how we want our children to be raised or grow up to be.

Royalty have I think very different standards of how they want to be seen or not......I prefer royalty to Hollywood any day of the week for that is why I am here and not there. HM is a huge example of why I am here every day......as is Queen Daisy.? and Catherine and Mary and Victoria, all perfect examples of royal ladies to be admired for they follow those standards laid down by their family through generations.

Royalty these days are basically a brand with the allure of beauty and supporting good causes, but not the drama. The drama part is the key difference between Hollywood and royalty. So far, Meghan has caused any drama. The Diana years wasn't bad for monarchy because she was beautiful and glamorous. It was bad because of the drama between the Waleses and their inability to keep it together. As long as they keep it together, I don't see what's wrong with beauty and glamour. Again, there is a reason why we see members of the royal family dressed up and with professionally done hair and makeup.

And I disagree that things don't have to change. It does for the royal family to remain relevant, and that they do depend on. It might not work well for those that are in their later years and yearn for the yesteryear of royalty, but the younger generation does have a responsibility to bring young people today on board. Young people are the future and they will eventually decide whether monarchy stays or goes.

Last edited:
(..)

It's silly how people are taking it to extremes with their clothing critiques. It's one thing to not like what Meghan is wearing and to say why. But it's equally okay for those who admire H&M to appreciate and to celebrate their joy, which is so obvious in these photos. As I said earlier, it's not so much about what they are wearing anyway. It's about the love and happiness they feel together, and about the serious commitment they are making. I'm not too fixated on the dress. I think it's pretty and it looks good on her. The cut of the neckline would not suit me, but Meghan's long hair is her accessory in that regard. :D

Honestly, no matter what she wears, Meghan will be critiqued and nitpicked in one way or another, as we have seen. Go back and recall the comments about every recent outfit from the Invictus Games on, and even before that there were the critical reports about the dress Meghan wore to Pippa's reception which we never got to see. Since Meghan will always be nitpicked, she therefore needs to go with her gut, be herself and express herself in what she decides to wear. IMO, she's been fairly right on about her choices. I don't personally like raggedy designer jeans, but Meghan has a way of carrying off whatever look she chooses. And see how some people thought that style was too low-key, and now they're carping about her upscale ballgown. :lol:

I have my favorites of all the Meghan fashion slideshows I've seen online, and then there are a few non-favorite things I've seen her wear. Overall, she's just so much fun to look at. Her style is laid-back, casual, edgy and accessible. Obviously, this couture gown is not accessible for everyone, but the style is inspirational and similar looks are available that are more affordable. This gorgeous ballgown is a streamlined, elegant version of glam, fanciful and dreamy. So why not wear it for this dreamy, romantic, once-in-a-lifetime photo shoot in the royal English countryside? It was obviously on purpose that Harry wore day time wear, while Meghan wore an elegant & dressy but otherwise non-fussy ballgown. It's different and refreshing. Actually, Harry in a day suit is the kind of off-center unique difference juxtaposed to her dressy look that Meghan has said she strives to achieve [IOW, have one thing a bit out of place to effect a casual yet still pulled together appearance, e.g., a biker jacket over a pretty silk pleated dress; slightly disheveled hair with perfect makeup, etc]. Not everyone will agree, but then there's different strokes for different folks.

Of course, Meghan will make some adjustments, such as wearing more modest hemlines (no more minis) (..)

I seem to remember that Sophie was slammed for having sparkly trim on her engagement suit?
I am in the camp that thinks the R&R selection for the photo is a teaser for what will be future formal-wear style choices. She looks terrific. The dress gives her petite frame a little extra dimension and depth.

Exactly. This was a once-in-a-lifetime romantic photo shoot, deserving of Meghan wearing whatever she desired. Again, Meghan probably owned the gown already or was loaned the gown. It's a scaled-down version of the fanciful Herrera ballgown from the VF shoot.

And now, Harper's Bazaar has weighed in with further details that make a lot of sense. They show both sets of H&M and W&K engagement photos, with sensible summarization and behind-the-scenes info:
How Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's engagement photos compare to William and Kate's
The white sweater Meghan wore in the b&w shot is identified by HB as 'a white jumper' by Victoria Beckham (whom reportedly Meghan was introduced to by Kate, so I guess we will see VB & hubby at the wedding in May).

The pearl clutchers have come out. Like those who suddenly hate Stephanie's wedding dress as inappropriate as they realize she had a deep back :sad:

There is nothing immodest about the dress. Yes its sheer, but its lined. There is no cleavage or body parts showing. Its a beautiful custom gown.

I am not a huge fan of the skirt but you don't really see it in the main photos.

As for the price, its an one time thing and privately paid. So not losing sleep.

I love the dress. It enshrines Meghan's personality - fun and vibrant!

As for the cost, if I were Meghan and it was a case "damned if I do; damned if I don't", I'd be saying "sod it! Let them come and get me!". Her style is impeccable and she knows exactly what suits her and what doesn't.

The photos are beautifully taken and capture their love story. No awkwardness; no fakeness.

Exactly. I'm honestly baffled by the talk of it being inappropriate.

I like this dress, Meghan wears it well. But the best thing about it is that now, we know that she is a fan of R&R and more elaborate designs, so we really might be in for a surprise with her wedding gown. ;)
Yes, with the closing of the TIG we lost our "history" of her personal style and now we are starting over. Yes, R&R might be in the wedding dress running. Unfortunately we shall have to wait and see.

Eh, we'll have to agree to disagree on the dress. I LOVE everything about the engagement portraits. I thought they were obviously in love and she looked beautiful. I wouldn't have chosen that dress for me, but she looks stunning. I'm not sure if there is much she wear that she wouldn't look stunning in. Maybe some old ugly 80s dress with puffy sleeves.

Anyways, speaking of hats. I can't wait to see what hat Meghan wears on Christmas Day! :wub:
(..)

The engagement pictures are very sweet, the white sweater very good, soft and tactile. The dress was a mistake. She is wearing a ball gown and he is wearing an almost casual blue suit which could make you think they are not in sync, not a good projection for an engagement photo. Not that I think they aren’t, but that is why it is a mistake. Either one of them should have dressed to the level of the other. Also, don’t like the bottom of the dress, the top is very pretty and a good color for her.

I agree on every point, Freelinghighness. Meghan absolutely has the right to wear whatever she likes and can afford for her engagement photos. However, for the optics of the thing I just feel the top and skirt combo was a mistake. It allowed people who don't like this couple something to jibe about and the Fail, which unfortunately is read by millions, another day of sark about heedless expense in their nasty anti-Meghan agenda.

I also like the top, and saying it's sheer as so many have done is just plainly ridiculous. However, there are so many great day dresses (and shoes) Meghan could have worn that would have coordinated better with Harry's admittedly boring blue suit and suede shoes. Aside from the price I just feel the ball gown feel was a misstep.

I'm looking forward to seeing what outfit Meghan will wear on the Sandringham walk, and hat or not! This has become very interesting!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom