The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 08:21 PM
Majesty

ITs happening because she is considered "royal" and soon will be - don't think its anything to do with being an actress.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 05-06-2018, 09:34 PM
Heir Apparent

I agree with cepe--Meghan being a former actress has nothing to do with most of the people being interested in or buying clothes or accessories she has worn and has everything to do with her soon to be new status.

Old 05-06-2018, 09:41 PM
Heir Apparent

I also agree.

The same effect happens with Kate, and even with Charlotte.
Old 05-06-2018, 10:53 PM
Majesty

Yes, but what's unusual is that this is a pleasant article not a muck raking or sarcastic one about Meghan. However it's probably only momentary. They'll soon be back to normal.
Old 05-06-2018, 11:15 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
I agree with cepe--Meghan being a former actress has nothing to do with most of the people being interested in or buying clothes or accessories she has worn and has everything to do with her soon to be new status.
Yeah - no one was implying that Meghan was selling out clothes because she was an actress. We were simply trying to see if ANY actress had ever had the kind of "sell out" capability that royals have had.

It seems the answer is no...
Old 05-06-2018, 11:16 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
ITs happening because she is considered "royal" and soon will be - don't think its anything to do with being an actress.
Yes - we know this. That's not what we were speculating about.

Of course Meghan is selling out places because of the almost royal status - we were just wondering (or I was) if any actress had ever commanded the same kind of following as a royal.
Old 05-06-2018, 11:44 PM
Majesty

Apart from Grace Kelly?
Old 05-07-2018, 12:28 AM
Heir Apparent

If she sold out clothes it's because of her name change to Princess Grace.
Old 05-07-2018, 06:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Two things that are different with Kate, Michelle and Meghan is that 1) blogs are dedicated to their fashion and 2) they often wear off the rack clothing, not just custom made, that is more accessible to actually purchase.
Years ago people did still emulate the style of women like Grace Kelly and especially Jackie Kennedy.
Old 05-07-2018, 08:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Correct. Previous generations of Royals used to wear unique pieces made by the royal tailor, or very expensive Haute Couture items. Chanel did not go sold out because Pcs Grace worn their clothes, as only a very small circle of women could afford. Same for the Kelly bag, of course it became better known because Princess of Monaco used to use it, and as rumours said to hide her pregnancy, but how many woman could afford Hermes? An already existing circle of rich ladies. But now when the Duchess of Cambridge wears a dress costing 300 euros, or even less, matter is more easily affordable and becomes sold out
Old 05-07-2018, 10:46 AM
Aristocracy

^ Good points @fandesacs. Previously, royal fashion was simply inaccessible and unobtainable for 95% of women.

With Meghan and Kate that has changed. Having said that, I think there's something about Meghan's style that's so much more accessible than Kate's. Maybe it's because she wears classic, yet modern, minimalist pieces that are easy to replicate or even purchase. I never felt the urge to purchase anything that Kate wore really, with the odd exception here or there and then it was either too costly or not accessible, but with Meghan, I actually find myself following fashion blogs that document her looks. I particularly like her jewellery style and her handbags. She wears interesting pieces, not the usual (IMO) boring clutch or oversized, unsaturated Kiki's.
Old 05-07-2018, 11:22 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by EloisevonLippe View Post
^ Good points @fandesacs. Previously, royal fashion was simply inaccessible and unobtainable for 95% of women.

With Meghan and Kate that has changed. Having said that, I think there's something about Meghan's style that's so much more accessible than Kate's. Maybe it's because she wears classic, yet modern, minimalist pieces that are easy to replicate or even purchase. I never felt the urge to purchase anything that Kate wore really, with the odd exception here or there and then it was either too costly or not accessible, but with Meghan, I actually find myself following fashion blogs that document her looks. I particularly like her jewellery style and her handbags. She wears interesting pieces, not the usual (IMO) boring clutch or oversized, unsaturated Kiki's.
I think Meghan's style is just more current and fresh? She's wearing pieces that reflect trends today, but her look is still classic. Kinda classic with an edge. And she has a distinct American modernism view to fashion as well that may be resonating with some. But even the trends she chooses to wear have a classic element to them at the same time without feeling necessarily dated?

That's how it feels to me.

I like the fresh way she combines pieces. She really illustrates how a minimal and capsule wardrobe could work when you just use neutrals and occasional shots of toned down color.

That green skirt, cream sweater and copper velvet heels look is one of my favorites. Sleek, architectural and modern, but classic at the same time.
Old 05-07-2018, 11:45 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FashionMaven View Post

That green skirt, cream sweater and copper velvet heels look is one of my favorites. Sleek, architectural and modern, but classic at the same time.
I LOVE that outfit. She's making me realise my deep-seated love for hunter green. And her use of copper-coloured shoes was genius. It really lifted the outfit.

I believe I once read that one of the secrets of dressing like a Frenchwoman is utilising a predominantly neutral wardrobe with pops of a few favoured colours and signature pieces to freshen up the look or change it to suit the occasion. It's the very basis for capsule dressing and Meghan does this oh so well.

@FashionMaven - Classic with a twist is correct.
I think the primary difference between the two women that lends to me preferring MM's style is that she understands the elements that make clothes classic - the cut, the line, the structure, the colour - and she incorporates these into her fashion even though she constantly changes what she wears - fitted trousers, tailored coats, sweaters, pencil skirts, wrap dresses etc. Kate, OTOH, has found a classic LOOK that suits vs classic elements, and just runs with that 90% of the time i.e., coats and dresses.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

Guess this will be one of the last entries to the Meghan Markle fashion thread...tomorrow she will be the Duchess of X.

Meghan is wearing a navy Roland Mouret dress this afternoon/evening. Not a fan of the hem...but the color and bodice part is great!

LaRae

https://rstyle.me/~athri
Old 05-18-2018, 02:24 PM
Majesty

I think she looks lovely. The dress suits her.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:28 PM
Courtier

Yes, love the dress and the heels. She looks beautiful.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:28 PM
Courtier

I love that dress!
Old 05-18-2018, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

This looks lovely on her, although I agree that the hem is a bit much. (..)
Old 05-18-2018, 02:31 PM
Courtier

The hem is my favorite part!! (..)
Old 05-18-2018, 02:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

The dress looks lovely on Meghan. One of the best outfits I've seen on her. (..)

Closed Thread