The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 10:13 PM
Heir Apparent

The Grey and black combo was rather pleasing and they balanced well. The coat is a little big but she isn't swimming in it. I think the beret looks amazing and I hope she wears more hats like that, additionally the black outfit and beret is a rare time when her hair looks immaculate. Looks like she brushed it and put in some product.
The actual black outfit I will not comment on...

Old 04-25-2018, 10:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by FashionMaven View Post
With the beret and the skirt as she wore it - it skewed too retro for me. But it was still a stylish ensemble - it just didn't agree with my particular aesthetic and it made me a little feel like she was trying to align with some kind of "uniform"... while still adding her aesthetic to it and the result was "off" - at least imo. I don't hate it - I just didn't like it very much.
Exactly what went through my head, too. Meghan trying to 'fit in' with a 'uniform-like' dress. Startling impression created (not in a good way), whereas in the morning she was doing her thing in an 'appropriate' way. All good then imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
I don't understand "bespoke" when it looks like it was worn by Sophie in 2015.
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rc...24782076507466
Interesting. I actually like it in the color Sophie is wearing. Then it is not 'bespoke', that's a relief. Someone said it was 'bespoke' (to Meghan's wishes, in fact) and I just took their word for it, but I was mightily disappointed to think that Meghan had come up with that.

Old 04-25-2018, 10:38 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
I think the beret looks amazing and I hope she wears more hats like that, additionally the black outfit and beret is a rare time when her hair looks immaculate. Looks like she brushed it and put in some product.
I think I'm finally understanding how some people are upset with her hair, etc... Because I don't think her hair looks good here because she "brushed it" and put product in it - I think it's because she used product and a flat iron to bump the ends of all of her layers and the look "stayed" because the weather cooperated with her.

With unpredictable weather, I think Meghan's hair has a tendency to frizz a bit at the ends - which just means the ends turn different angles and don't look "together". It also means the hair strands get thick, yet limp and just hang in an unflattering way.

So whereas a layered look would look great if curled properly - if the curl falls, the hair looks choppy instead.

I recognize it when I see it because when I wore my naturally kinky curly hair straight - as in relaxed - (and I have the same texture hair as Meghan based on pictures) and in layers - if I ran into any kind of foggy, humid or rainy weather, my hair would not behave properly.

All of a sudden, it would look like I just rolled out of bed instead of spending hours curling it from root to tip, etc... And no amount of product would make it not act up. The ends would start running in all different directions and when I had color in my hair, the very tips of my hair would "thicken" and stand out in a bad way - almost like the flat tip of the hair at the end had a "whitish" cap on the end of it that made my hair look very messy and like I needed a trim. It would also become really limp and lifeless and would NOT hold any kind of "bump" or curl from curlers or flat irons.

I think this is partly why we would see Meghan with the messier topknots - because she would realize she couldn't go with it out because it was just not working. So she probably would just do a quick topknot - at the last minute either in the car or right before they left.

The only way Meghan can avoid this hair situation is to:
1) Plan for it and just do a loose bun like she did last week
2) Get her hair cut all in one single layer
3) Wear her naturally curly hair
4) Reserve wearing her hair "out" for summer and less rainy seasons

Otherwise she'd have to flat iron her hair before EVERY engagement and use a ton of product and even then it might not actually work.

There is a chance that her hair will eventually adapt to the climate and then it will behave better, but that's going to take some time.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Three cheers for both outfits. Her hair is mercifully out of her face and we can see how really pretty she is. The black outfit is terribly chic, to call it matronly is the last adjective I would use. I do remember when sophie wore it and Megan wears it much better as you must be super slim to wear this style. Keep up the good work.
Old 04-26-2018, 02:24 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curbside View Post
It's super matronly, the length is unflattering, and it looks uncomfortable to wear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
I couldn't disagree MORE.. those heels are ANYTHING but 'matronly'.. she looks very chic 'all in all'.
I like the way Meghan general penchant for wearing her skirt lengths at midi length but I think this bespoke dress is just a little too long. Perhaps if the little flip at the bottom had been three or four inches higher it would have been more in line with her previous clothes. That being said, I think she looked amazing in the black ensemble and the slightly boxy short jacket really emphasises the nipped in waist of the dress. Her matching black hat was also pared down . . . I think she could have got away with a small flock of dragonflies.

The original style came out in 2014 and I noticed that the RTW options were gathered skirts and Sophie's bespoke version was a long pencil skirt whereas Meghan's had her signature flip at the bottom.

Quote:
Well on the coat, the coat hem is slightly longer in the back - retro effect. I don't think the hem is longer on the skirt/jacket combo.
It seems to be a popular 'look' just now as Autumn Philips wore a coat with the same effect at Easter (I think).

Meghan's Dawn Service Ensemble was lovely overall, but I would have to agree the coat looked just a little too large, but her picture hat was wonderful. She was unfazed when it got knocked awry during the Hongi but she seems to handle things like that really well.

I thought the pared-down millinery look was very suitable for the occasion, it is a style that really suits her and I would love to see her sporting more wide-brimmed fun hats at Ascot and the Trooping of the Colour. Hats with whimsy and style instead of those nasty little fascinators.

EDIT: I miss her little handbags and loathe the clutches that seem more evening than daywear.
Old 04-26-2018, 03:52 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Sophie Wessex has worn the Emilia Wickstead outfit before, I just posted in the similar/same style thread.
Old 04-26-2018, 03:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Came across this from Alexander McQueen: "Fashion should be a form of escapism, and not a form of imprisonment." Methinks there is some 'imprisonment' taking place. Ha! But I feel that way on a lot of the fashion threads.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:32 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
Came across this from Alexander McQueen: "Fashion should be a form of escapism, and not a form of imprisonment." Methinks there is some 'imprisonment' taking place. Ha! But I feel that way on a lot of the fashion threads.
The way I like to think about haute fashion is that it's often polarizing. Meghan's choice to wear a very Balmain-esque coat (the exaggerated shoulders, double breasted design and buttons scream Balmain) is polarizing...

But fashion - art - that pushes boundaries beyond what some are used to often is polarizing.

The coat may have been slightly too big in the shoulders, but I've looked quite a few times and I don't think it was. I think the sleeves could have been trimmed down a bit as they were too long. The coat was meant to be cut that way, but the shoulders weren't that far off from her own shoulders - maybe just an inch or two.

But even if the coat sleeves had been trimmed down a bit and the shoulders trimmed a half inch, some still wouldn't like it because they don't care for the exaggerated shoulder style.

I'm just glad the "royal uniform" hasn't completely swallowed her up, lol.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:37 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The way I like to think about haute fashion is that it's often polarizing. Meghan's choice to wear a very Balmain-esque coat (the exaggerated shoulders, double breasted design and buttons scream Balmain) is polarizing...

But fashion - art - that pushes boundaries beyond what some are used to often is polarizing.

The coat may have been slightly too big in the shoulders, but I've looked quite a few times and I don't think it was. I think the sleeves could have been trimmed down a bit as they were too long. The coat was meant to be cut that way, but the shoulders weren't that far off from her own shoulders - maybe just an inch or two.

But even if the coat sleeves had been trimmed down a bit and the shoulders trimmed a half inch, some still wouldn't like it because they don't care for the exaggerated shoulder style.

I'm just glad the "royal uniform" hasn't completely swallowed her up, lol.
Agree. The exaggerated shoulder was obviously going look bigger than her shoulder usually does. Exaggerated.

I like the hem on the coat a lot. It's slightly longer in the back, but not overly so. I've always found the very obvious cascading hemline to be a little eyeroll worthy.

Quote:
Another thought - are we certain it's a skirt underneath the cropped jacket?

I'm wondering if it's a dress underneath.
I thought it was a skirt when I saw the back yesterday. The zipper is for a skirt.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:41 AM
Courtier

Quote:
You're right, it is quite Balmain. I happen to think Balmain jumped the shark several years ago and is in a downward spiral of bad design, so I'm not going to like anything that leans that direction.

I'm totally on board for Meghan pushing the limits of royal fashion. I really like the way she's played with softer lines because I think they suit her. This coat, however, was "wearing her" in a bad way.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:57 AM
Heir Apparent

I'm going to drop this in the fashion thread since it's focused on fashion, but if mods think this is more appropriate in general news thread, please move.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/25/s...s-wedding.html
Old 04-30-2018, 05:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Are they going to have reception the day before the wedding? If yes, I wonder if Meghan will wear a dress similar to the one she wore on her official engagement photographs. That dress was stunning!
Old 04-30-2018, 06:07 PM
Administrator

A number of posts have been moved to the following thread:

** Meghan Markle: Future Tiaras and Jewels **
Old 04-30-2018, 08:49 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathia_sophia View Post
Are they going to have reception the day before the wedding? If yes, I wonder if Meghan will wear a dress similar to the one she wore on her official engagement photographs. That dress was stunning!
I loved that dress too - are there reception events the night before the wedding? Like a rehearsal dinner, etc?

Anyone know?

Would we get to see it if there was?
Old 04-30-2018, 09:26 PM
Majesty

Quote:
I loved that dress too - are there reception events the night before the wedding? Like a rehearsal dinner, etc?

Anyone know?

When the Cambridges married, HMQ held a gala event for the visiting royals at an hotel in London. Neither William or Catherine attended. Lots of photos available (lovely gowns, no tiaras)

I do not know of pre-wedding events being held when it is not a state/semi-state occasion.

I suspect the main parties involved are rather busy

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 04-30-2018, 09:33 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:

Anyone know?

I hear there will be a rehearsal dinner but no details of who/when/where.

LaRae
Old 04-30-2018, 09:37 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdm View Post
I love her casual style and her Rachel Zane wardrobe on Suits.

Let’s see how she will develop her royal wardrobe. I’m looking forward to it!
You just wait, she will start to shine even more
I bet she will be just stunning on her wedding day...I can hardly wait to watch the wedding <3
Old 05-01-2018, 12:31 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaLP View Post
You just wait, she will start to shine even more
I bet she will be just stunning on her wedding day...I can hardly wait to watch the wedding <3
Personally I can't wait until she starts to shine at all, she's been absolutely unimpressive so far, many more misses than hits imo. She's got it in her to shine, but so far meh.(..)
Old 05-06-2018, 08:32 PM
Royal Highness

Pigs must be flying. Daily Mail wrote a positive article about Meghan and her influence on the fashion trends:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.daily...n-fashion.html

Other mags have written about Meghan's style influence; it's just surprising DM jumped in. I don't know of any A list actress who had people clamor for the clothes they wear and have the site crash or the item sell out.
Old 05-06-2018, 09:14 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
Pigs must be flying. Daily Mail wrote a positive article about Meghan and her influence on the fashion trends:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.daily...n-fashion.html

Other mags have written about Meghan's style influence; it's just surprising DM jumped in. I don't know of any A list actress who had people clamor for the clothes they wear and have the site crash or the item sell out.
I can't think of any actresses - Michelle Obama used to crash sites when she wore more accessible brands - but still it was rare.. with Meghan it happens a lot.

Weird - I can't believe this hasn't happened with any actresses, but I think you're right!

Closed Thread