Late Princess Diana's Eveningwear

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my favorites of all time:

http://bamslynette.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/dianadm1712_228x403.jpg

Beautiful!

Does anyone know who designed it?
@ I love CP- Great minds think alike!
I love this dress too!
For many reasons-
- the color, and how it jelled with Diana's hair, complexion and most of all her eyes.
- The sparkle that lends glamour
- The way the dress said" I am a princess" and " I am a glamour girl" all at once.
- It was fun and chic, and was a modern- day Cinderella gown.:cool:

I agree IloveCP. That is one thing about the late Princess Diana. She knew how to choose and wear an elegant and appropriate gown. She always looked absolutely exquisite wherever she went.

Those dresses are timeless and could easily be worn today. By 1997 the Princess finally came into her own.

Yes a very versatile dress. You can dress it up or down as you please. It could easily be worn today. She certainly wasn't shy about showing cleavage. As my father says: Infants will look at her and become hungry :)

One of my favorites of all time:

http://bamslynette.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/dianadm1712_228x403.jpg

Beautiful!

Does anyone know who designed it?

I am seconding Sirhon, here. That was definitely an Azagury dress. The black long beaded gown that the Princess wore (with emeralds) for her final evening engagement on her thirty-sixth birthday is a long version of this blue short dress and was given to Diana as a birthday present by Azagury who was designing quite a bit for the Princess the last few years of her life.

That dress is timeless

Sirhon, doesn't it just drive you crazy that we never were able to see Diana in the black backless dress - with train!!! - that Armani was in the process of finishing fitting for the Princess at the time of her death? IIRC, she had an appointment for a fitting for this gown the day after she died... We had never seen Diana in Armani in public before and I'm sure she would have blown everyone away, as usual.

Has anyone ever seen a drawing of this gown? I'd love to know any information about it if any is known. Thanks to all here who are so generous with their pictures, research and knowledge.:flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
I never knew about the armani dress.Do you have a photo of it?

I never knew about the armani dress.Do you have a photo of it?

I think I only have a newspaper article, published shortly after her death, with a sketch by Armani of the dress. It was more daring and glamourous than anything the Princess had ever worn before! I will look for the paper in my scrapbook and see if it's scannable and also check if I can find anything more. I do think it was mentioned in a few books, I'll check those, too.:flowers:

Diana had commissioned it for a charity movie premiere she was due to attend in October, I believe. I used to know the name of the film, goodness - hate to admit that my memory is not what it used to be.:bang:

I think I only have a newspaper article, published shortly after her death, with a sketch by Armani of the dress. It was more daring and glamourous than anything the Princess had ever worn before! I will look for the paper in my scrapbook and see if it's scannable and also check if I can find anything more. I do think it was mentioned in a few books, I'll check those, too.:flowers:

Diana had commissioned it for a charity movie premiere she was due to attend in October, I believe. I used to know the name of the film, goodness - hate to admit that my memory is not what it used to be.:bang:

The Armani sketch can also be found in Diana, The Secret of Her Style by Diane Clehane. (It also has a sketch of the last gown Jacques Azagury created for her.)

Sirhon, doesn't it just drive you crazy that we never were able to see Diana in the black backless dress - with train!!! - that Armani was in the process of finishing fitting for the Princess at the time of her death? IIRC, she had an appointment for a fitting for this gown the day after she died... We had never seen Diana in Armani in public before and I'm sure she would have blown everyone away, as usual.

Has anyone ever seen a drawing of this gown? I'd love to know any information about it if any is known. Thanks to all here who are so generous with their pictures, research and knowledge.:flowers:
The dress you speak of- the one that we never got to see was be Azagury as well. There is a sketch in the book Diana: The Secret of her Style.
And yes, I wish we could have seen Diana in the dress at the premiere of the movie Hercules she was planning to wear it to in October 1997. She would have knocked our socks off!!:cool: It looks similar to the dress she wore on her birthday, only with a fish- tail train, and long slit up the side to show off her fabulous legs.
Armani was fitting Diana for a backless, light blue dress with crossed shoulder straps that she was planning to wear to an AIDS benefit gala late in 1997. The sketch is in the same book I mentioned above. The fitting appointment was set for 4 September 1997.

@ Ilove CP- First off this link works, thanks!;)
A classic, timeless dress, and one of Diana's iconic dresses!

I am seconding Sirhon, here. That was definitely an Azagury dress. The black long beaded gown that the Princess wore (with emeralds) for her final evening engagement on her thirty-sixth birthday is a long version of this blue short dress and was given to Diana as a birthday present by Azagury who was designing quite a bit for the Princess the last few years of her life.
I third you! It is a Azagury design.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
The dress you speak of- the one that we never got to see was be Azagury as well. There is a sketch in the book Diana: The Secret of her Style.
And yes, I wish we could have seen Diana in the dress at the premiere of the movie Hercules she was planning to wear it to in October 1997. She would have knocked our socks off!!:cool: It looks similar to the dress she wore on her birthday, only with a fish- tail train, and long slit up the side to show off her fabulous legs.
Armani was fitting Diana for a backless, light blue dress with crossed shoulder straps that she was planning to wear to an AIDS benefit gala late in 1997. The sketch is in the same book I mentioned above. The fitting appointment was set for 4 September 1997.

Thanks for the information.:flowers: You're 100% correct. See what I mean about my memory going?:bang::bang::bang:

I don't remember the Armani sketch, then - what I had in mind must have been the Azagury "Hercules" gown. I'll have to check if I own the book you cite or just borrowed it from the library; if I own it, I will scan and upload both here tomorrow.

Oh, it's so heartbreaking to think of those two glorious gowns that she never got to wear. There is no one who could dress as beautifully as Diana and, especially this week, we're all reminded of how very young she died and how much life (and how many clothes - not to be superficial) she still had ahead of her. How I wish we could go back in time and change the route they took from the Ritz. It's like watching "Titanic"; one just cringes at every mistake made as we know to what end it's all leading...)

Thank you very much!It is so beautiful.

Thanks for the information.:flowers: You're 100% correct. See what I mean about my memory going?:bang::bang::bang:

I don't remember the Armani sketch, then - what I had in mind must have been the Azagury "Hercules" gown. I'll have to check if I own the book you cite or just borrowed it from the library; if I own it, I will scan and upload both here tomorrow.

Oh, it's so heartbreaking to think of those two glorious gowns that she never got to wear. There is no one who could dress as beautifully as Diana and, especially this week, we're all reminded of how very young she died and how much life (and how many clothes - not to be superficial) she still had ahead of her. How I wish we could go back in time and change the route they took from the Ritz. It's like watching "Titanic"; one just cringes at every mistake made as we know to what end it's all leading...)

Are referring to the dress on the left and right? If so I agree its tragic that she wasn't able to wear them. They're so timeless it could be worn today. The Princess of Wales was defiantly saving the best for last.
http://www.clevelandwomen.com/images/events/princess-diana/princess-diana-gowns.jpg
http://www.canada.com/business/4789633.bin?size=620x400

According to Paul Diana was supposed to see Disney's Hercules. She was fortunate enough to get a copy of the soundtrack.

Last edited:
Out of Africa dress

What is your opinion of the dress Diana wore to the film premiere of Out of Africa in 1986? Pic is posted in Diana Picture Thread 5.
I personally love it on her- it is unique, different, and eye- catching. Of course she looks fantastic! But then she could have worn a paper bag, and looked wonderful!;):lol:
Personally, I cannot see anyone else pulling the gown off.
I think it is one of those gowns that you either love or hate- I am on the love it side.:cool:

:previous:

That's sooo early 90's, isn't it? But as they say: true beauty cannot be tarnished. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom