Late Princess Diana's Eveningwear

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Shades of "Joseph and the Technicolor Dreamcoat," or in this case, "Dreamskirt"! Not many people would dare wear that brightly horizontal striped pattern, especially around the hips and thighs.

Last edited:
It ranks right up there with the Sgt Pepper outfit she wore at Sandhurst. Even in the 90s it was best left in the back of the closet never to see the light of day ever again.

I understand she loved the music and creations of Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber, but I think this skirt is a bit much. However, perhaps she wanted to go with the whole 'rock concert' theme. I'm not a fan of the skirt at all, however, I give her credit for having the confidence to wear it.

I must be in the minority, I liked the skirt. She looked good in lots of color. Only someone with a perfect body could look good in that outfit..

My all-time favorite gown that Diana wore was in November 1981, the night before BP announced her pregnancy. :flowers:

She was 20 yrs. old, 6 weeks pregnant, and looked like a storybook princess:

Princess Diana 50th Birthday Commemoration: Iconic Photos : People.com

She'll forever live on in my memory as the above...the true quintessential fairytale princess...virginal, pure, innocent, without guile or affectation. In other words, an English Rose. :rose:

Ooh Amazing Picture Of Princess Diana , Her Hair Looks amazing , She’s Wonderfull Princess But She Looks Sad , Very Nice Picture , Thank You For Posting Nadine

Our real life "sleeping beauty!"~ I will always miss her!

I didn't even have to look at the photo to know which one you were referring to, Nadine, but of course, I did...how could I resist? That is indeed one of her iconic images and one of the first to truly endear her in people's hearts, I think, the fairytale princess nodding off in her fairytale gown.

Last edited:
My all-time favorite gown that Diana wore was in November 1981, the night before BP announced her pregnancy. :flowers:

She'll forever live on in my memory as the above...the true quintessential fairytale princess...virginal, pure, innocent, without guile or affectation. In other words, an English Rose. :rose:
MINE TOO!!! love love love that dress and that picture. apparently her nodding off moved up the announcment she was expecting

Nadine, like Baroness of Books, I too didn't have to look at the link to know to which photo you were referring. You're absolutely right; it's the best Diana ever looked, even though generally I preferred her more streamlined nineties evening gowns. I particularly loved the choker she wore with this; she had also worn it that morning to the 1981 State Opening of Parliament, where she also looked amazing (another of my favourites, and the first time she wore the Cambridge tiara in public). I've often wondered where that choker and bracelet came from, according to Leslie Field, an authorised chronicler of the Queen's jewels, it was borrowed. If anyone has any information on the provenance of that choker, I'd be very grateful if they would pass on that information. Both gowns of that day were unforgettable and both were made by Belville-Sassoon, though David Sassoon claimed neither he nor the Princess were satisfied with the Opening of Parliament gown - personally, I think it was one of their best. (I say "their" as Sassoon wrote that Diana sent him a drawing of the design she wanted once he had shown her the embroidered chiffon and then they traded ideas back and forth until it was completed.) I guess I should include a link to this gown, too!

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/...na 1981/PrinceCharlesPrincessDiana-198143.jpg

Last edited:
:previous:Very Hollywood but so gorgeous, sexy and self-assured.

Last edited:
Very Nice Pictures , Princess Diana Looks Wonderfull in Both Outfit In Blue & Red , Thank You For Sharing All

I love the dark shade of blue. It sets off the fairness of her skin tone, and the shade of her eyes.

I don't care for this one at all, but I do think the shade of red looked amazing on her.

I think Diana always looked her best in blues and sapphires to set off her amazing eyes, and I just love this dress with all the lace and sequins.

Absolutely!

I like all of them really. After 94 Diana really came into her own fashion wise. There was a picture of her that was taken in 97 of her walking on Bond's street. She was wearing a baby blue sheath dress a pair of Versace sunglasses and nude flats. Diana looked timeless there.

I like all of them really. After 94 Diana really came into her own fashion wise. There was a picture of her that was taken in 97 of her walking on Bond's street. She was wearing a baby blue sheath dress a pair of Versace sunglasses and nude flats. Diana looked timeless there.

That's another picture I can bring to mind without having to look at it. Sirhon,:flowers:, you're absolutely right; it's one of the best ever taken of Diana. BTW - that sheath was quite longer than her usual hemline in 96/97, and while she had the best pair of legs I've ever seen - the longer length suited her frame and figure beautifully. I guess her growing confidence in her own taste and judgment was part of what made her death so traumatic; she finally seemed to be hitting her full stride as DIANA and not as Diana submerged beneath the "princess" by the "grey men".

IMHO, nobody has worn eveningwear with the same elegance and "cheekiness" (Diana's word for it!) since. I surely would have loved to see her in that Armani gown being designed for November '97; according to Armani, it would have been the sexiest gown she'd worn to that point

Just one more point: Those nude flats were Jimmy Choos from the pre-Tamara Mellon days. I don't think Diana ever received enough credit for "launching" Jimmy Choo onto the international fashion scene. (For example, he designed the gorgeous high heels she wore to both of her gown auction functions.)

I love that pic.:)

I had never seen several of the dresses. That is always fun!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom