Late Princess Diana's Daytime Fashion

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You might think it's horrible but back then when she wore it (i think it was in a wedding in Japan) that "thing" got more photos than QEII falling from a horse:D and the photo does not make justice to the face veil I wish i could find another pix so you'll see it better;)

It was from 1990, she was at the enthronement of Japan's Emperor Akihito. She got a lot of press but not all flattering.

Source: Getty Images
August 4, 1992
Queen Mother's 92 Birthday

March 4, 1993-Visit to Nepal

Source: Corbis
December 10, 1990-Visit to Inno Department Store in Brussels, Belgium

October 27, 1991-Walkabout in Toronto, Canada

Source: Corbis, Getty Images
Cartier International Polo Day

Visit to Indonesia

1988-Meeting Michael Jackosn

December 5, 1990-Concert for the Prince's Trust

Last edited by a moderator:
1994-Wimbledon

January 13, 1997-Meeting with Angolan First Lady

July 11, 1996-Royal Tournament

1982 Official Engagement

December 25, 1981-Christmas Church Service

Great work Kwanfan! It always amazed me that the press went on & on about Diana spending so much on her clothes. But, as your pictures show, many of them she wore over & over & over ....

August 4, 1987-Queen Mother's 87 Birthday

February 2, 1988-Barnardo's Home in Australia

May 4, 1985-Venice, Italy

November 7, 1985-Visit to a building site in Australia

June 16, 1988-Royal Ascot

September 16, 1989-Wedding of her brother

June 27, 1987-Polo match

June 4, 1986-Epsom Derby

February 28, 1995-Visit to Great Ormond Street Hospital

February 8, 1995-Visit to the Umeda Akebono School in Tokyo

April 15, 1993-Visit to the Imperial Cancer Research Fund

October 12, 1992-Relate Marriage Conference

July ?, 1993-Athenaeum Bury St. Edumunds Biennial Conference (Mirrorpix)

May 3, 1995-Lunch at Merchant Taylors Hall

February 6, 1995-National Children's Hospital in Japan

September 23, 1992-Walkabout in Teeside

October 25, 1991-Visit to Canada

January 31, 1991-Visit to RAF Paderborn

November 4, 1987-Tour of Germany

November 3, 1996-In Australia

July 21, 1997-Laying foundation stone for a hospital

1. August 4, 1989-Queen Mother's 89th Birthday

2. June 29, 1988-Hola Cup Polo

3. March 16, 1990-Visit to Nigeria

4. April 24, 1991-Visit to orphanage in Brazil

5. May 21, 1992-Visit to Spain

Wonderful contributions Kwanfan!

I was wondering if these outfits were ever recycled:

- 1981 Opening of Parliament gown
- CFDA awards w/slicked back hair blue gown
- 1995 Serpentine GAllery grey halter dress
- 1987 Ascot yellow w/floral print in primary colors dress
- 1987 Caen, France hat with snood (was black snood used again w/that hat or another?)
- 1987 royal blue dress for her landmark AIDS handshake
- Peach wrap dress from Ascot 1981 and return from honeymoon - was this worn more than twice?
- Dressing-gown style dress by Bellville Sassoon 1985 (I think I know the answer to this!)
- Bruce Oldfield one-shoulder blue ruffled gown, fall 1982 , anorexia rumors begin

Last edited:
July 29, 1981-Departure for honeymoon

July 26, 1983-Opening Grimsby District General Hospital

March 25, 1983-Visit to Canberra War Memorial

Lady Jean said:
Wonderful contributions Kwanfan!

I was wondering if these outfits were ever recycled:

- 1981 Opening of Parliament gown
- CFDA awards w/slicked back hair blue gown
- 1995 Serpentine GAllery grey halter dress
- 1987 Ascot yellow w/floral print in primary colors dress
- 1987 Caen, France hat with snood (was black snood used again w/that hat or another?)
- 1987 royal blue dress for her landmark AIDS handshake
- Peach wrap dress from Ascot 1981 and return from honeymoon - was this worn more than twice?
- Dressing-gown style dress by Bellville Sassoon 1985 (I think I know the answer to this!)
- Bruce Oldfield one-shoulder blue ruffled gown, fall 1982 , anorexia rumors begin
For a lot of these outfits, I'm not sure if she ever wore them again. I do know that there are alot of engagements that Diana carried out, that we will likely never have pictures of. For example usually once or twice a month she would receive an official from one of her charities or from one of her regiments. I would imagine that an official picture was taken, but they were rarely published. So we don't know what she wore for these engagements.

As for the 1981 Opening of Parliament gown, suprisingly enough, she wore it again at the next year's Parliament. At least it looks like the same dress.

The blue gown she wore to the CFDA awards was also wore for a portrait in late 1995 (she's sitting in front of a painting that was done of her, remember that one?)

The blue dress that she wore for her AIDS handshake in April 1987, she wore it before that on Sept. 24 1986 (picture below).

And as for the "dressing gown" style dress & the "Anorexia" dress, they were probably best left in the closet.:eek:

Photo: D. Levenson

1. December 19, 1992-Wedding of Harry Herbert

2. April 22, 1993-Opening the Egyptian Museum (Getty Images)

3. November 3, 1992-Visit to Korea (Getty Images)

4. October 7, 1992-Visit to Children's Hospital at East Glamorgan District Hospital (Topfoto)

1. July 1, 1992-Visit to the National Orthopedic Hospital (Getty Images)

2. February 15, 1992-Visiting Mother Theresa's Hospice in India (Getty Images)

3. September 24, 1991-Visit to a welfare centre in Pakistan (Getty Images)

Squidgy: THank you for the info. The 1982 Parliament opening has always taken a back seat I guess to her first one and the one in 84, with the new hairstyle. I forgot about the portrait that was done w/the blue dress on - I was so shocked by it and have never lingered looking at it.

In general:
I am just so excited to have found a place where I can get new information on her and sometimes I write before I
think or take the time to look it up myself. I will try to be more careful.
I hope this summer I can get some pictures together and learn how to post them since you all have been so generous
sharing yours.

Last edited:
Squidgy said:
For a lot of these outfits, I'm not sure if she ever wore them again. I do know that there are alot of engagements that Diana carried out, that we will likely never have pictures of. For example usually once or twice a month she would receive an official from one of her charities or from one of her regiments. I would imagine that an official picture was taken, but they were rarely published. So we don't know what she wore for these engagements.

As for the 1981 Opening of Parliament gown, suprisingly enough, she wore it again at the next year's Parliament. At least it looks like the same dress.

The blue gown she wore to the CFDA awards was also wore for a portrait in late 1995 (she's sitting in front of a painting that was done of her, remember that one?)

The blue dress that she wore for her AIDS handshake in April 1987, she wore it before that on Sept. 24 1986 (picture below).

And as for the "dressing gown" style dress & the "Anorexia" dress, they were probably best left in the closet.:eek:

Photo: D. Levenson

Seeing that blue AIDS handshake dress reminds me: Diana had several copies of that same dress, or something very similar, in different colors. There was the cream one she was wearing when she fainted in Canada in '86, a green one, and a bright pink one (the pink one had a different style skirt, though, if I remember correctly).

Squidgy, the photo in the blue AIDS handshake dress is so lovely. If you don't mind my asking, where did you find it? I couldn't find it in Royalty or Majesty mags of the time, although the date is in the engagements listings: She presented prizes at Help the Aged headquarters.
Once upon a time, I naively thought that if I could get all the Majesty and Royalty magazines from Diana's lifetime, I'd be satisfied. HAH! As we all know, there are enormous gaps there. Tim Graham's Royal Year books help with dates, and Hello magazine helps also. And I've discovered thousands of photos on the Getty Images website with dates--most are from T. Graham. So I keep plugging away. It's an honor to be among you here on the forums who are equally obsessed, and occasionally provide me with a new date.
(Over the Christmas holidays, I was talking to a friend, and said excitedly, "I'm finding so many dates!" She was confused and at first thought I meant dried fruit.:p I am notorious among my friends for my Diana obsession.)

Lady Jean said:
I forgot about the portrait that was done w/the blue dress on - I was so shocked by it and have never lingered looking at it.

In general:
I am just so excited to have found a place where I can get new information on her and sometimes I write before I
think or take the time to look it up myself. I will try to be more careful.
I hope this summer I can get some pictures together and learn how to post them since you all have been so generous
sharing yours.

Yes, that 1995 painting was kind of shocking eh? I didn't think it looked much like Diana.:eek:

Lady Jean, you have gone & looked up information for us in the past. Sometimes, it's just easier to ask if others know, especially when you think the information is easy for them to get & you know you would have to spend hours digging through a 10 foot pile of papers, mags, etc. to find it.

Oooh! I hope you are able to post pics soon too! I bet you have some interesting ones in your collection! It's really not that difficult once you get the hang of it.:)

umbrellagirl said:
Seeing that blue AIDS handshake dress reminds me: Diana had several copies of that same dress, or something very similar, in different colors. There was the cream one she was wearing when she fainted in Canada in '86, a green one, and a bright pink one (the pink one had a different style skirt, though, if I remember correctly).

You know Umbrellagirl, I never really made the connection between all of those dresses. Well, the cream one I knew was similar to the blue one, but I never really thought of the green one & the pink one as being similar. I guess I didn't make the connection because for the cream & blue one, the fabric was heavier, while for the other two, it was a more lighter, cocktail dress kind of fabric. But yes, looking at them closer, I agree with you, the styles are very similar. Wonder if they are all by the same designer?

umbrellagirl said:
Squidgy, the photo in the blue AIDS handshake dress is so lovely. If you don't mind my asking, where did you find it? I couldn't find it in Royalty or Majesty mags of the time, although the date is in the engagements listings: She presented prizes at Help the Aged headquarters.
I got the picture from that oversize book, "The Royal family: at home and abroad". It's by Trevor Hall, with photos by David Levenson. I don't know if you have it, but if you don't, it might be worth buying. It's not all on Diana of course, but still there are about 100 pics of her. They are mostly of engagements we've seen before, but different poses than we usually see.

umbrellagirl said:
Once upon a time, I naively thought that if I could get all the Majesty and Royalty magazines from Diana's lifetime, I'd be satisfied. HAH! As we all know, there are enormous gaps there. Tim Graham's Royal Year books help with dates, and Hello magazine helps also. And I've discovered thousands of photos on the Getty Images website with dates--most are from T. Graham. So I keep plugging away. It's an honor to be among you here on the forums who are equally obsessed, and occasionally provide me with a new date.
(Over the Christmas holidays, I was talking to a friend, and said excitedly, "I'm finding so many dates!" She was confused and at first thought I meant dried fruit.:p I am notorious among my friends for my Diana obsession.)
It's great to have someone else obsessed by dating photos!:) Yes, I used to think that Majesty & Royalty covered most of the engagements, but, as you note, they missed alot didn't they? And not only did they miss alot of photos, but in the section where they list engagements, they also left out quite a few. I guess their list was as complete as possible when they went to press and that engagements were added to Diana's schedule after the magazines were published. I am currently going through the London Times to get a complete list of her engagements. I've been doing this on & off since 1992. And even doing this, I still can't find dates for everything!:(

Squidgy said:
I got the picture from that oversize book, "The Royal family: at home and abroad". It's by Trevor Hall, with photos by David Levenson. I don't know if you have it, but if you don't, it might be worth buying. It's not all on Diana of course, but still there are about 100 pics of her. They are mostly of engagements we've seen before, but different poses than we usually see.

It's great to have someone else obsessed by dating photos!:) Yes, I used to think that Majesty & Royalty covered most of the engagements, but, as you note, they missed alot didn't they? And not only did they miss alot of photos, but in the section where they list engagements, they also left out quite a few. I guess their list was as complete as possible when they went to press and that engagements were added to Diana's schedule after the magazines were published. I am currently going through the London Times to get a complete list of her engagements. I've been doing this on & off since 1992. And even doing this, I still can't find dates for everything!:(
Thank you very much, Squidgy. I wondered if maybe it came from that book, which I do have. I found it! (on p. 86). If I could find the time to collate all my information, I probably know more than I think I do.
But now (and I really hope I'm not being a pest), I have a further question. The caption in Home and Abroad says only, "A visit to Clerkenwell in the same year [1986]" How did you find the specific date of Sep. 24? The magazine engagments listing for that day says, "Help the Aged's headquarters, St. James's Walk, London EC1"

umbrellagirl said:
If I could find the time to collate all my information, I probably know more than I think I do.
I often think the same thing! If only we had the time to go through all of our stuff again eh? Because I find that pieces of information sort of build on each other. So if you learn something new today, you can go back to your old material, re-read it & maybe discover something else.

umbrellagirl said:
But now (and I really hope I'm not being a pest), I have a further question. The caption in Home and Abroad says only, "A visit to Clerkenwell in the same year [1986]" How did you find the specific date of Sep. 24? The magazine engagments listing for that day says, "Help the Aged's headquarters, St. James's Walk, London EC1"
You're not being a pest.:) Yeah, I had a hard time figuring this one out too. I knew it was fall 1986 because of her hair, but beyond that, I didn't know. It was Canadiana (on this forum) who gave me the date for that one!;) So I can't take credit for any great detective work on my part.

Squidgy said:
You know Umbrellagirl, I never really made the connection between all of those dresses. Well, the cream one I knew was similar to the blue one, but I never really thought of the green one & the pink one as being similar. I guess I didn't make the connection because for the cream & blue one, the fabric was heavier, while for the other two, it was a more lighter, cocktail dress kind of fabric. But yes, looking at them closer, I agree with you, the styles are very similar. Wonder if they are all by the same designer?

I found another dress made on the same pattern. This one is black or very dark navy. I can't be sure, but it looks like maybe velvet, and the "cummerbund" effect is satin. It was worn to a Commonwealth Day reception March 8, 1993. (Coverage in Hello mag Mar. 20 issue)

umbrellagirl said:
I found another dress made on the same pattern. This one is black or very dark navy. I can't be sure, but it looks like maybe velvet, and the "cummerbund" effect is satin. It was worn to a Commonwealth Day reception March 8, 1993. (Coverage in Hello mag Mar. 20 issue)

I love that dress too! And it's another one that she wore quite often. The first time I'm aware of her wearing it is Dec 11 1988. She must have liked it very much too, because it would have barely had time to come back from the cleaners by the next time she wore it - Dec. 15 1988 - just 4 days later!!:D

http://img484.imageshack.us/my.php?image=z19820314newidea6sb.jpg

Does anyone know anything about the beautiful ring Diana is wearing here? I don't think I have seen it before.

I really enjoy seeing how she combined her clothes and wore them again.

Someone mentioned a pink dress like the navy "AIDS" dress. Is that the dress that she wore when she met Lionel Ritchie? The skirt was draped or something to the side?

Thanks for all the pictures.

1984, June 1985, June 20
(L) Colour Library Books, Ltd. "Prince Harry and the Royal Family"
(R) Tim Graham /Getty Images
- See also Kwanfan's Post 39 for the peach dress -

1986, May 1987, July 22
(L) Tim Graham / Corbis, (R) Daily Mail Archives

1992, May 27
Alpha, in "Diana An Extraordinary Life"

1979 Althorp 1981
(L)8th Earl Spencer Family Album, in "Diana Her True Story"
(R) Rex Features, in "Princess", R.Lacey

1985 polo 1985 polo
(L) Jayne+Terry Fincher, "Debrett's Fashion Guide"
(R) Tim Graham / Getty Images

Last edited:
Nice work Lady Jean.:)

I always liked that blue floral suit. She certainly got good use out of it. I especially thought she looked lovely the day she wore just the skirt and slung that red sweater around her neck (the last picture).

Diana wore this blue suit on June 13 1981 (Trooping the Colour) and again on July 16 1981 (garden party at Buckingham Palace).

Then it made its way into Sarah Ferguson's wardrobe. Sarah wore it to Diana & Charles' wedding on July 29 1981.That is Sarah, sitting in the front row (the 4th person in from the aisle.) She is beside Diana's former flatmates.

Sarah wore it again to Ascot on June 20 1985 when she had just started dating Andrew.

Photos (left to right): T Graham; The Royal Magazine (no photographer mentioned); Serge Lemoine; Globe Photos

Polo. possibly May 29, 1983
[no indiv.photo credit]Colour Library Books, Ltd.
Jane Owen - Diana The Book of Fashion

Tour of Canada, June 28, 1983
David Levenson

The jacket was also worn at Wimbledon 1981, and on April 21, 1983 in New Zealand (info courtesy of RF members Tenngirl and Squidgy)

Last edited:
kwanfan said:
1985-Italy
1985-Poolmead Center for the Deaf
[post 25]

This dress first debuted in 1983 with wide pleats at the waist. For 1985 the waistline was altered and gave the dress a sleeker look.
Australia, March 29, 1983
David Levenson / Getty Images

Canada June 22, 1983
(L) Tim Graham, in "Diana the Fashion Princess."
(R) David Levenson, "Charles and Diana Visit Canada."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom