Hereditary Grand Duchess Stéphanie's Fashion & Style Part 6: May 2015 - June 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Stephanie's latest outfit is nice, but not for this particular occasion. I agree with everyone else that the skirt is a little short.

She is so rarely properly dressed with clothing that fits. It just appears glaring when in a group with her female in laws, instead of just with her husband as we usually see her.BTW his clothes are impeccably tailored.
The gaping of the jacket, and the odd placement of the veil, not to mention the short skirt, made me think she looks like a young nun, or noviate -with a short skirt and heels.
She could take a lesson from Claire.
I have no idea, none of us do, but I don't think she is ever trying to "make a statement". I think she is careless.

Stephanie is totally fine in this visit. :flowers: JMO of course. Someone mentioned 'sexy'. I don't see that at all. She is wearing black tights. It all works, especially the white blouse. Instances like these and I am aware of how differently we see things. ;)

She is so rarely properly dressed with clothing that fits. It just appears glaring when in a group with her female in laws, instead of just with her husband as we usually see her.BTW his clothes are impeccably tailored.
The gaping of the jacket, and the odd placement of the veil, not to mention the short skirt, made me think she looks like a young nun, or noviate -with a short skirt and heels.
She could take a lesson from Claire.
I have no idea, none of us do, but I don't think she is ever trying to "make a statement". I think she is careless.
Fairs fair, ALL the younger women wore their black veils like weird ponytails, Clair included.

Which is weird. That's not how you wear a veil to Mass..or to meet the pope.

LaRae

:previous: Perhaps HH finds the practice both archaic and more about vanity than humility. As with his own dress, perhaps he wants to pare down what his guests wear to the basics and put an end to a something that no longer has relevance.

To be honest, when we discuss visits to the Vatican these days, when it comes to the veils it's always a case of whose veil is prettiest or even worse, "who wore it best?". Neither of which has anything to do with the heart and faith of the guest.

Which is weird. That's not how you wear a veil to Mass..or to meet the pope. LaRae
I thought that at first, and then I remembered how, at least in my neck of the woods, nun's veils had migrated to the back of the head. Small. Fascinator size, when I pondered on it. We have about 4 active congregations locally and the trend is toward head covering that sits on the back of the head.
To me, if you cover your head as a symbol of honor to God, then your should just cover your head. I think the back of the head thing skirts the whole issue. But then , like our current Pope, I value what is in the heart over what is on the head or body. JMO. ;)

Where I live you may walk into a nun and not know. Nuns very rarely wear habits or veils where I come from. One of my patients is a nun, and you only know from the crucifix she wears and is usually all in black but I have seen her in pants even. They belong to the Grey nun's. When you seem them at church they are in a more modern habit and have the veil further back as well. I honestly think the first time I saw a nun in a full traditional habit except on television, was my first time in Europe.

Traditionally it was believed women had to have their heads covered in prayer. Its a sign of humility to God. When ones head is bowed in prayer, even the fascinator style would hide a woman's hair (their vanity) and the back of their neck from the eyes of God.

Fairs fair, ALL the younger women wore their black veils like weird ponytails, Clair included.

To be really fair, Claire wore a much more voluminous veil which came down to her mid thigh. Stephanie's was almost the "hankie" version and came to her mid upper arm with a lot less volume.

To tell the truth, also, because Claire was so elegantly attired, I overlooked her veil placement. Also it does seem that it was placed much farther up on her head.

In any case, any faux pas seem to be a case of carelessness, not a case of making any sort of statement, only imo.

This is an interesting discussion since I didn't have issue with anyone's veil placement.

Stephanie's two appearances on March 24th:
Repeated outfit at Belgian Embassy in Luxembourg (RTL gallery)
Different jacket and heels at a work safety forum in the evening.
Full Front Side

:previous: Ugh :bang: Even this look would have been so much better for the Pope. Compared to her sister in laws, her skirt would have still seemed shorter (the others were all knee or below) but not so blatant. And no white blouse.

I am starting to think she has gone from the shrinking violet to wanting attention. The red dress in the family photos where all the women are in black and white. Then the Pope's outfit. She definitely knows how to pop in family photos:ermm:

:previous: well at least she didnt have a shawl on hand like always :lol:

but i agree. very bad fitting

I just want to go over to Luxembourgh and help this young woman. She does not wear clothes well, IMO. I understand that she wants to be comfortable and be herself and she can, but just in clothes that fit her better. This dress would have been fine if it had been more fitted and without the belt. Just like her outfit at the Vatican, the skirt just needed to be a little longer and it would have been fine.

Steph actually picks nice clothes. If they fit her, she would look nice. The dress is the wrong size. If it was fitted properly, the belt would sit better and not look out of place, and she would look so much better. :bang:

She is either dull and ill-fitted. Or like MT's birthday pictures, chooses colors which makes her stick out like a sore thumb. Or in the case of the Vatican both, too short a skirt and the white blouse.

Steph actually picks nice clothes. If they fit her, she would look nice. The dress is the wrong size. If it was fitted properly, the belt would sit better and not look out of place, and she would look so much better. :bang:

She is either dull and ill-fitted. Or like MT's birthday pictures, chooses colors which makes her stick out like a sore thumb. Or in the case of the Vatican both, too short a skirt and the white blouse.

No, she doesn't, unfortunately. When you choose bad colors, poor fit, dull clothes, or clothes that are inappropriate for an occasion, you are not choosing nice clothes.

:bang: She :bang: is :bang: a :bang: beautiful :bang: young :bang: Woman :bang:

Why?? ( I think i have headache from so blow!!)

The clothes are nice. The color may seem dull, but some people don't like in your face colors and that is okay. Or other people would use accessories to add a punch of color to a duller/neutral outfit. The clothes themselves are actually nice. If I saw them in a store I would not think twice on trying on some.

That doesn't mean they are Nice on her. What ruins the outfit is not the outfit, but her. It is the fact they are not tailored properly (too long, too short, too baggy). Or they are not appropriate for the event. Some looks are nice and she would look good in them, just not at that particular event.

Just because Stephanie ruins the look with bad styling/tailoring, doesn't make the clothes themselves bad.

Some clothes it is the clothes themselves which are bad. Which are so over the top you wonder WTF were they thinking. That isn't the case with Steph.

Has she lost weight recently? Just wondering if that's why the dress is too big? Anyway, I have to admit I'm not hopeful of any improvement - at first I thought she was finding what worked for her, I had very high hopes after her wedding dress. But she's been married a while now...

I'm guessing she's not particularly interested in fashion and as long as it's clean and presentable ...

Here's hoping she does a Sophie Wessex and suddenly finds her groove!

I think Stephanie's dress would have been great if it was a better fitting, because I really like the design. This isn't meant to be snarky, but I think a stylist or fashion advisor would be of great help to Stephanie. Even if she doesn't like fashion (well, I of course don't know that for sure but that's the impression I get), there's bound to be something a bit more trendier and youthful that she would like and that would also fit along the lines of her personal taste. Personally, I don't really follow the latest fashion trends for my age group and wouldn't consider myself to be stylish, but there are some fashionable clothes and popular clothes that I do love and wouldn't mind having (and do wear myself sometimes) from my age group.

Last edited:
She needs help from a professional stylist in the worst way....

LaRae

The color is great, I love the print on the top. The upper part even seems to fit for once. The pants look like they could use a bit of a hem though.

Her face and hair are pretty, but the outfit looks like something from The Brady Bunch.

I really love the colour of Stephanie's jacket! It suits her a lot and works well with the top. Overall, the top half of her outfit has a nice, spring feel. Her trousers are a little frumpy though and I feel like they "let the rest of the outfit down" (I can't find a better way to phrase my thoughts on them, I apologise in advance if this sounds a little harsh).

Upper part is lovely, colourful and elegant. Pants, really need help.

The jacket color is lovely and the pants seem to fit well. The printed top is ok but it's not the prettiest top IMO. Im just happy that she is in color and print. Her hair is too light IMO for her, she should go slightly darker.

My eyes just keep being drawn to her feet. The pants look like all my pants before my aunt hems them for me. 'Dirty hem' as my mother would call them, pants so long they trail in the dirt. You cant even see the shoe on her left leg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom