Hereditary Grand Duchess Stéphanie's Fashion & Style Part 5: December 2014 - May 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you have that picture of her with her mother and relatives?

Also I do not think she is always immaculately turned out. I think she almost always wears ill fitting clothes.
I have a thought. Is it ill fitting as in crooked, or as in the same way people complain about ill fitting clothes on the middle eastern princesses. It could be a modesty thing. Never accentuating her waist, wearing scarves, long arms, never tight trousers etc.

Queen Mathilde was brought up in Luxembourg too, in the Belgian province, not the Grand Duchy. Deep in the forests and hills, near Villers-la-Bonne-Eau lies the Château de Losange. In the most tranquil circumstances possible.

Princess Stéphanie was brought up on the Château d'Anvaing, in the Belgian province of Hainaut. The village Frasnez-les-Anvaing is as secluded and pittoresque as Mathilde's home. Demoiselles living in such milieus really are not the most fashion-forward indeed...

Lovely pictures, and good reminders. :flowers:

Princess Stéphanie was really an "after-child", her parents were very old when she was born.

Going to church in Anvaing with her parents Philippe Comte de Lannoy et du Saint-Empire and Jonkvrouw Alix della Faille de Leverghem: picture

Stéphanie with her father (marriage of her brother Olivier with Jonkvrouw Alice Van Havre): picture

A family-together for the 70th birthday of her mother, Countess Alix. You can see Stéphanie behind her father (in the wheelchair): picture

:flowers:

Her mother was early 40's when she was born hardly very old !! An older mother sure but not very old !!

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Do you have that picture of her with her mother and relatives?

Also I do not think she is always immaculately turned out. I think she almost always wears ill fitting clothes.

It was in the issue of Point de Vue in Sept 2012, devoted to the coverage of the death and funeral of Alix de Lannoy. I don't have a scanner and wouldn't know how to scan it if I did, sorry.

But I remember it very clearly. Count and Countess de Lannoy, their children and spouses and grandchildren were all present in a group photo on the castle grounds. It really is an enormous family, and the entire group of them had gathered for the Countess's 70th birthday in Sept 2011 which, sadly, turned out to have been her last. The castle grounds are spectacular, with it's own moat and gardens and a Chapel emblazoned with the Arms of the House of Lannoy. It is straight out of an ancient fairy tale, really quite literally a world apart from the childhood homes of Letizia, MM, Kate, Mary, Charlene. But as I posted the de Lannoys-the women at least-were outfitted in what looked like cheap shoes and flimsy poorly made sundresses. None of them appeared to have had their hair or makeup done.Fashionable and glamorous they were not.

It does not surprise me at all that Stephanie is clueless about fashion for a young 21st century woman, her entire upbringing seems to have been from another time.

Also Stephanie's now 92 year old father was about 20 years the senior of his late wife. Old enough to have been her father,

(Some of the photos posted by Duc are from the same issue of PdV that I saw. There were also photos of the family at their holiday home in Algarve, Portugal.)

Last edited:
The 20-years age gap between the parents made the mother older in my mind than she was. The Count Philippe de Lannoy et du Saint-Empire (1922) and Jonkvrouw Alix della Faille de Leverghem (1941) got 8 children:

Jehan (1966) x Béatrice Spates (from the USA)

Christian (1968) x Doña Luisa Moreno de Porras Isla-Fernández y Manso of the Marqueses de Chiloeches

Nathalie (1969) x John Hamilton (from Calcutta)

Gaëlle (1970) (is a Catholic nun)

Amaury (1971) x still unmarried

Olivier (1974) x Jonkvrouw Alice Van Havre, daughter of the Chevalier (Knight) Philippe van Havre and of the Baroness Anne-Françoise de Hennin de Boussu-Walcourt

Isabelle (1976) x the Baron Jean-Charles de le Court, son of the Baron Jean-François de le Court and of the Baroness Suzanne d'Otreppe de Bouvette

Stéphanie (1981) x the Hereditary Grand Duke Guillaume of Luxembourg, Prince de Nassau, Prince de Bourbon de Parme, son of the Grand Duke of Luxembourg and of Maria Teresa Mestre y Batista

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with the arms of Princess Stéphanie. Allez...

Te Deum

In Weilburg

In Wiesbaden

Fête Nationale

:flowers:

Stephanie looks lovely and appropriate in most of these photos. (The one exception is the one with the pants.:bang:)

That's why it surprises me to read posters opine that she always looks awful. I don't agree.

BTW, her legs are simply spectacular. Along with the DoC she has the best legs of all the current batch of young princesses.

BTW Duc, Stephanie was not born in 1981. She was born in February of 1984.

I don't think she always looks awful but for me she has had more bad looks than good. Simply because her clothes are not tailored correctly and they are simply too old looking for a 31 year old woman. Which in turn makes her look frumpy.Maria Theresa even though she is not the thinness person most of the time looks elegant and well put together.

I don't think she always looks awful but for me she has had more bad looks than good. Simply because her clothes are not tailored correctly and they are simply too old looking for a 31 year old woman. Which in turn makes her look frumpy.Maria Theresa even though she is not the thinness person most of the time looks elegant and well put together.

I disagree, Grand Duchess María Teresa often looks strangled in clothes two sizes too small and too shiny. Sometimes she hit the right note, sometimes really not. See this week, with the reception of President Hollande, this was no different: see picture. So there is no difference between mother-and-daughter-in-law.

:lol:

That is your opinion I said most of the time not all of the time. To me there is a big difference between the two.

Here you see an example: the almost vertical worn riband of the Order of the Seraphim over a large bow (making her rounder than she already is) in combination with the neckline showing her heavy upper part, the hanging hair with the diadem. No, she has had worse(r) days than Stéphanie. For the rest I love Grand Duchess María Teresa, no bad word about her, but that she is a better dresser than Princess Stéphanie, hmmmm, open for discussion...

;) :flowers:

Oh lord, I like and admire MT but that is awful. Maybe her Order simply slipped? She has been a Royal now for well over 30 years and has always had a flawless execution of protocol, deportment, manners, etc.

She certainly knows how to wear a ribbon.

As for Stephanie's "wonky arm".. As Duc has pointed out there are quite a few photos that demonstrate that her arms are the same length.

Last edited:
This is a fashion thread about Stephanie and it seems to have strayed. JMO

Being from Stephanie, I think this is on of her best looks in a long time.
i also really like it and i think as well that it's one of my favourite looks of hers.
The black velvet was definitely one of my favourites. Her updo was so elegant and refined and the black looked so good against her fair skin and hair. Her her small clutch and pretty black scalloped court shoes 'finished' the ensemble and to me she looked every bit the Hereditary Grand Duchess of Luxembourg.
There is nothing wrong with the arms of Princess Stéphanie. Allez...

Te Deum

In Weilburg

In Wiesbaden
Fête Nationale
Stephanie looks lovely and appropriate in most of these photos. (The one exception is the one with the pants.:bang:)

That's why it surprises me to read posters opine that she always looks awful. I don't agree.
I agree. Princess Stéphanie simply dresses like a royal and yes, that possibly means she is a bit restraint, but for the rest she looks okay.

In Esch-sur-Alzette

In Stockholm (wedding Princess Madeleine)

In Amsterdam (Investiture of King Willem-Alexander)

In Amsterdam (Farewell Banquet Queen Beatrix)
Call me clueless, but I think Stephanie gets it right more often than wrong and I do not believe she dresses "old", "matronly" or "boring". I do believe she is learning her "place" in the grand scheme of things and her wardrobe reflects the dichotomy of "before and after" marriage.
I don't think they would have insisted Maria Teresa wouldn't want to cause problems with her daughter in-law and definitely wouldn't want to upset her son. I think Stephanie is probably strong willed and wants to do things her own way she is grown and can choose how she likes to dress. I think she went a long with the wedding help as that was a very big event and she needed to look her absolute best.
Yes, it was easy to spot Maria Teresa's hand it the wedding "looks" but I don't believe she has or would try to impose her will on Stephanie when it comes to anything at all, let alone her wardrobe.

In a way this is not a good thing because it could 'maybe' leave Stephanie floundering but the other option of imposing her will would be anathema to MT, seeing that she was bullied unmercifully by her own M-I-L. However, that is not to say that she isn't offering advice or even clothes from her own wardrobe, such as these:

https://royalhats.files.wordpress.c...-auschwitz-70th-anniversary-4.jpg?w=558&h=570

https://royalhats.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/2014-12-12-fabiola-funeral-20.jpg?w=869

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ODCM6weVsO8/UeNWR4RUH2I/AAAAAAAAXw8/fgM6tLICxV4/s1600/2013-ny.jpg

She looked lovely at the NYC cocktail party. That dress originally belonged to MT ,but quite frankly that gown was not right for the Grand Duchess's age or body. It was better on Stephanie.

The black pillbox at the funeral of Queen Fabiola was also lovely. Pillboxes are flattering at any age. Amadeo's wife Lili also wore one.

The less said about the outfit at the Holocaust memorial the better. Anyway, the point of that visit was as far from fashion as could be imagined.

Last edited:
Stephanie's face is young happy and vibrant, her clothes scream I'm 50 and blah. She stands with her husband and there is a disconnect he looks good clothes fit properly she looks at times like she is playing dress up in her mothers clothing. If she would just tailor her clothing she would look so much better. If she doesn't want age appropriate fine but at least have the clothes fit properly. She obviously knows about tailors all the clothes she borrows from Maria Theresa have to be tailored to fit her. Why she doesn't do this with her other clothing is beyond me.

Last edited:
Overall, I don't think Stephanie can be faulted. :flowers: She looks fine to me.

I have often wondered, though, about the strain of carrying on the royal line. I'm sure there must be days she doesn't feel well and would just as soon not pick out a fancy dress. Presentation is potentially the last thing on her mind. JMO.

Anyway, of all royals, she is one I count as someone I would like to actually meet over coffee at a cafe (along with her husband). My sense is she must be charming.

I like the dress Stephanie wore in Qatar, but that shade of purple clashes with that shade of blue. With the scarf, the whole outfit feels a little strange. Stephanie herself looks nice though.

I actually love the dress Stephanie wore during the dinner with President Hollande, it's nice, simple and quite elegant. The only thing I'm not a fan of here is her shoes, as they look rather old fashioned.

She surely needs a touch-up or two. The gowns are for much older women and her daily wear is rather sloppy. I believe she could afford a stylist. And soon.

OK, now that I see the sleeve length issue, it is making me crazy (er).

So, if we can concede she need not be fashionable, could she at least spend some money on tailoring. She is drowning in those sleeves. :ohmy:

Polka dot jacket with layered/fringe-look skirt is a no go IMO, but the intention is good. She looks best in tailored looks.

Last edited:
I could concede fashionable , I would love to see her in tailored clothing.

I have no idea how to post is there some where that tells you how to do it.

I'd love the see the dress underneath. The jacket in theory is good, the cut (except for the sleeve length) is nice on her. Love too have seen this in a pretty magenta with this dress on her with a nice necklace and brooch.

An awful look for Stephanie again. I liked the navy skirt only. If the jacket fits well, looks good on her. But ıt seems too big for her and the white buttons are very unattractive. The same printed purse with the jacket looks unnecessary. A red or burgundy clutch goes very well with this outfit IMO.

Agree love the skirt the jacket is fitting her well and is not bad but yes ... the bag !!!! but all in all not bad IMO

Polka dot jacket with layered/fringe-look skirt is a no go IMO, but the intention is good. She looks best in tailored looks.

I completely agree, dbarn67. Horizontal pleats don't go with polka dots. And that purse leaves me speechless...not in a good way:sad:.

But she still manages to look sweet and pretty, even badly dressed, which is saying quite a lot. I like seeing her out visiting her museum patronage:).

[Anyway, of all royals, she is one I count as someone I would like to actually meet over coffee at a cafe (along with her husband). My sense is she must be charming]// quote

THIS. I agree 100%, Lady Nimue.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom