Hereditary Grand Duchess Stéphanie's Fashion & Style Part 3: June - December 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Love the color on her but the dress doesn't seem to fit her right...I think that's what is throwing everything off.

LaRae

In responding to Stephanie never being glamorous, I have seen pictures of her looking glamorous. The one I remember most is that off the shoulder green grecian formal gown that she wore to a dinner. I can't remember which dinner. It was SO different from the usual things she wears. And she has the figure and poise to carry it off, and of course the patrician face to go with it. She should go much simpler in her designs. Maybe go to Tessy's dressmaker, to get simple dresses with great lines, and forget the little decorative stuff, for the most part. Not that she and Tessy look alike, but Tessy is the Queen of Clean Lines. I read here that Tessy's dress at the Claire/Felix wedding was Calvin Klein. I am very little aware of various designers' styles, but that might be a place to start. OR: I believe Stephanie has two or three times worn outfits by Weill which was simple and flattering. She might try sticking to Weill and/or Calvin Klein.

I do not share the passion for Saab held by many on TRF. I think his wedding dresses look heavy, weighed down. Not BAD, per se, far from that! But I prefer a lightness, a floatiness in gowns. I even like the strapless gown Tessy wore for her own wedding, combined with a light, frothy veil. Not that I'm for strapless at weddings, just that I like the light, vernal, floaty look. I saw it also in the gown of Princess Alice of Gloucester and in various other gowns I can't identify here, as I am not a collector of wedding gown information, just a relatively new observer of this grand scene.

But one more thought--the gowns Stephanie has looked best in were not the light frothy kind per se. They just had simple clean elegant lines. Again, maybe she should "major" in Weill and Calvin Klein.

Last edited:
Mariel, of course you are right. She has indeed looked glamorous and is one of the best Royal brides of all time. She has looked fantastic at some events and at other times she hasn't. She isn't consistent, and it's the times she has flopped badly that tend to stand out for some.

I have loved clothes since I was a small girl, but I cringe when I look back on some of the things I wore in my teens and 20's. I didn't learn what looked good on me until I was mature in my 30's.

For women who do not have the "knack" it can take time.

If she actually was chic it would not be a problem, but she was neither casual nor chic at the wedding. No one expects her ever to be glamorous as it is quite apparent she does not have that in her.

I didn't mean chic as in posh, but rather chic in an appropriate way. Decent. I don't see anything inappropriate with her outfit. And I do feel that some here expect her to dress (or at least going to) as they would like to see her. Hence comments as "she's married now", "she has access to .... so why doesn't she use it/them?" etc..
Well, all well and good, but maybe that is not the way Stéphanie wants to see herself.

"Glamorous" princesses are more often at risk for missing the point/spirit, as I think even "my" Queen Máxima of the Netherlands has done at times.

I rather like Stéphanie's demure style, I find it refreshing.

Mariel, of course you are right. She has indeed looked glamorous and is one of the best Royal brides of all time. She has looked fantastic at some events and at other times she hasn't. She isn't consistent, and it's the times she has flopped badly that tend to stand out for some.

I have loved clothes since I was a small girl, but I cringe when I look back on some of the things I wore in my teens and 20's. I didn't learn what looked good on me until I was mature in my 30's.

For women who do not have the "knack" it can take time.

That is something that has not chased me at all, what I wore when I was a girl and a teen. Nor am I ashamed of my clothes back then. It was what was in fashion and I still like the bright colors of the day. Why cringe over what was in fashion then? Will you (not you specifically, rather a general question) also cringe over what you wear today when we are about 20 years further from now?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Skippy, I choose classic, tailored clothes now and I tend to buy less and pay more for them...quality rather than quantity unlike when I was much younger.

I am often complimented on my wardrobe now but who knows??

I sure hope I don't cringe, LOL!

I have made Stephanie's mistakes when younger. Buying too big clothes. Wearing clothes with too many gathers at the waist. Liking feminine fripperies when I should have stuck to simpler lines. I cringe when I see pictures of me in those outfits! Gad zooks, my mother was right! She always bought just a few high quality items, always with straight skirts. She didn't even need to dress that way, as she was a "clothes horse", as someone put it...always tall and slender all of her life. She could have worn more voluminous clothes but she was tres chic, tres French in her dressing (she was Irish but she somehow French-dressed). I, on the other hand, weigh 20 pounds more than she did and I look silly in anything but straight skirts. I did look good in the hippy clothes and saris, which were more like Stephanie's Greek flowing gowns, but not in Victorian fripperies and femininities. Nope. Tailored or Grecian.

Skippy said "I rather like Stéphanie's demure style, I find it refreshing." - That's it exactly :)

Agreed. A dress with so much detail needs a simpler hat. Otherwise, there's too much to take in at one glace. I think the dress was pretty as well.

I don't think her outfit was a "disaster" at all and in fact was rather pretty. It was the hat that ruined everything, imo.

I actually like the outfit, it's very girly and cute, love the color as well. I think the only problem I see is the fit, it's not flattering at all on her, pity, the major issue with her is the fit and not the clothes themselves. But otherwise, she looks good and not horrid at all.

Hat...I don't tend to mention hats, because they always (lie, 90% should do) look hideous, most royals who use hats, like to use diferent, unusual and unique hats, but for me 90% is disaster. Well, I think it's because of my taste, I tend to love hats that are traditional, so most of the non-tradional hats are absolutely horrendous to me. So this time as well, I can't even mention how awful it is.

I agree ks. Very few Royal women wear hats successfully. Maxima and Kate are exceptions.

I think Stephanie would be more successful fashion -wise if she were to wear more simple and tailored clothes, fewer frills and loose items and more Chanel type jackets and simple but elegant shift dresses.When she becomes more confident in her fashions she could branch out, but like anything else it is always best to start simply and classically.

I agree, this is a fashion thread after all. Some posters do get personal and cruel but I must say it rarely happens here at TRF and when it does thank goodness the mods step in.

Stephanie is one of my favorite Royal women. I think she seems warm, cultured, intelligent...the perfect wife for Guillaume. But I'd be fibbing if I said I admire her wardrobe-except for her bridal gown which was one of the most beautiful Royal wedding dresses I have ever seen.

As another poster pointed out, it's all in the way you say things.

Yes! I like Stephanie a lot, and I think most of the posters on this thread do as well. No one is criticizing her character, just her questionable sense of style. I also get the feeling most of the posters on this site really do want her to succeed. There is such excitement when she gets it right!
Her bridal goes in my top 5 gowns of all time - and she was just lovely on that day. She set the bar pretty high for herself and we like her so much we want to see her come close to it.

QueenJen, she set the bar so high for herself on her wedding day that there was no place for her to go but down. I knew it would happen, just based on her other appearances before the wedding.:ermm:

But on that most important of days she surpassed every expectation. She and Maxima of the Netherlands are tied for #2 on my list behind Grace of Monaco.

Well, I do think it was a disaster. If people look at what you are wearing and say OMG! instead of "oh, hi how are you" , yes, what you wear is important.
This dress looked like a mini me of mt, her mil, which is not a good thing. The coat dress, check, the long sleeves with ruffled at 3/4, check, lace, check, all one color, check, weird hat, check. Only thing she added was ugly shoes.

People have also looked and it and liked it, so some people thought it was okay and others like yourself that it was awful.

As for someone walking up to the HGD and making a comment like "OMG" instead of "hi how are you?" I am almost certain she is never exposed to anyone so ill-bred.

Last edited:
I can´t believe anyone would approach her and tell her anything unkind about her look,but it is important to remember
1)it was not her own wedding - she was not in the center of attention
2) a wedding is NOT a fashion show - it is much more important to have a good time with your family and friends and be happy, especially for the married couple!
3)she looked acceptable and nice,even though the look is not everyone´s cup of tea ;-)

Last edited:
Well, I do think it was a disaster. If people look at what you are wearing and say OMG! instead of "oh, hi how are you" , yes, what you wear is important.
This dress looked like a mini me of mt, her mil, which is not a good thing. The coat dress, check, the long sleeves with ruffled at 3/4, check, lace, check, all one color, check, weird hat, check. Only thing she added was ugly shoes.

But not that important. I think only looking at attire instead of the complete picture is a bit superficial - no harm intended.
And to each his/her own opinion, but I think the word "disaster" is a bit too much.

People have also looked and it and liked it, so some people thought it was okay and others like yourself that it was awful.

As for someone walking up to the HGD and making a comment like "OMG" instead of "hi how are you?" I am almost certain she is never exposed to anyone so ill-bred.

Exactly, it would be plain rude.

I can´t believe anyone would approach her and tell her anything unkind about her look,but it is important to remember
1)it was not her own wedding - she was not in the center of attention
2) a wedding is NOT a fashion show - it is much more important to have a good time with your family and friends and be happy, especially for the married couple!
3)she looked acceptable and nice,even though the look is not everyone´s cup of tea ;-)

1) And when she was she blew everyone away - just as how it is supposed to be IMO.
2) Agreed.
3) Precisely, it's not like she wore a totally unacceptable outfit. Stéphanie is different from "all the others", is not a Crown Princess but a Hereditary Grand Duchess and in general just has another style. Demure, de Lannoy style.

Yes! I like Stephanie a lot, and I think most of the posters on this thread do as well. No one is criticizing her character, just her questionable sense of style. I also get the feeling most of the posters on this site really do want her to succeed. There is such excitement when she gets it right!
Her bridal goes in my top 5 gowns of all time - and she was just lovely on that day. She set the bar pretty high for herself and we like her so much we want to see her come close to it.

QueenJen, she set the bar so high for herself on her wedding day that there was no place for her to go but down. I knew it would happen, just based on her other appearances before the wedding.:ermm:

But on that most important of days she surpassed every expectation. She and Maxima of the Netherlands are tied for #2 on my list behind Grace of Monaco.

I rather think she set the expectation bar high for herself with her wedding gown. And you can never meet everyone's expectations.
She's basically doing what I plan on doing myself - wear normal clothes and go all out on my wedding day. It's the one day to be a star, fashion wise.
Why else do most fashion shows end with a wedding ensemble?

Last edited by a moderator:
Whoops! I made a terrible typo. I meant if people walk up to you and THINK not say OMG. So sorry for the mistake.
I DO want her to succeed. What I intended to convey is that you don't necessarily have to be the latest in fashion, if you're not interested in fashion, just stick with the classics and dont stand out in a bad way. Imitating her mil look is not the way to go, too old.

I agree that this outfit was like those of Maria Teresa. Probably the family like that style, especially the men, as they are used to it. I just remember that wonderful green greek dress she wore at a formal dinner....and how great she looked in THAT.

When it was revealed Stephanie's outfit was from the Belgian designer, Stephanie Le Grelle, I went to her website: Stéphanie le Grelle - Styliste belge as well as read a French blogger's interesting comments:
STEPHANIE LE GRELLE | be. get. see. "the latest collection of a young Belgium designer: Stephanie Le Grelle. She only does cocktail and wedding dresses, and stays quite classical, but does it while mixing fabrics and materials in a very qualitative way that you don’t see very often ....fell in love with the wedding dresses, made of fine lace and soft fabrics."

I then remembered a very early picture of Stephanie when she was much, much younger http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/87/13/bd/8713bd652b54623c86d38ec9bbd378a4.jpg The Le Grelle designs and early picture of Stephanie may give insight into Stephanie's fashion choice... at least this time 'round.

Pretty picture.
I think that in 25 or 50 years' time we will still look at her photos and say, "Ah, yes, that was/is her Style" - i.e. she is true to her own style :)

I have to admit, this young woman intrigues me. She is very brave when it comes to trying new styles or perhaps it is just that her marriage has put her squarely in the public eye and we are seeing Stephanie's twist on Royal Dressing as opposed to a private citizen in mostly casual attire.
Love the color on her but the dress doesn't seem to fit her right...I think that's what is throwing everything off.
I believe you are right. The colour is gorgeous and the hat is fabulous so, that just leaves the cut or fit. Hmm . . .

Princess Stephanie Of Luxembourg And Prince Guillaume Of

Oh dear. That is a seriously unflattering lace coat thingie . . . But the hat and her hair are terrific. A bit serious though . . .

Princess Stephanie Of Luxembourg And Prince Guillaume Of

Ah, that's better. Doesn't she look like she's having fun, and she looks like she's wearing the hat instead of it wearing her.

Skippy said "I rather like Stephanie's demure style, I find it refreshing." - That's it exactly :)
As do I. However, I think she would be wise to not continue to take her lead from her M-I-L. She is far to young to try to look that sedate.

Crown Princess Stephanie Of Luxembourg Attends The Civil

Now this ensemble is absolutely gorgeous. It suits Stephanie and is less like something M-T would wear. The colour is flattering and she has accessorised with an elegant clutch and matching shoes. I am not sure what actual colour they are but the complement the dress beautifully.

Now that is a serious up do she is sporting. Very nice. Very elegant.

And aren't these the sweetest little bit of nonsense to finish off the ensemble.

When it was revealed Stephanie's outfit was from the Belgian designer, Stephanie Le Grelle, I went to her website: Stephanie le Grelle - Styliste Belg as well as read a French blogger's interesting comments:
STEPHANIE LE GRELLE | be. get. see. "the latest collection of a young Belgium designer: Stephanie Le Grelle. She only does cocktail and wedding dresses, and stays quite classical, but does it while mixing fabrics and materials in a very qualitative way that you don’t see very often ....fell in love with the wedding dresses, made of fine lace and soft fabrics."

I then remembered a very early picture of Stephanie when she was much, much younger http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/87/13/bd/8713bd652b54623c86d38ec9bbd378a4.jpg The Le Grelle designs and early picture of Stephanie may give insight into Stephanie's fashion choice... at least this time 'round.
Wow, does she know how to wear a hat or what! She looks great and she knew, even then, that hair is an accessory!
Pretty picture.
I think that in 25 or 50 years' time we will still look at her photos and say, "Ah, yes, that was/is her Style" - i.e. she is true to her own style :)
I think you may well be right.

Countess Stephanie De Lannoy And Prince Guillaume Of

Check out this ensemble. I love how she has swept up her hair and used her earrings and clutch to create a 'pop' of colour not to mention whimsy. The up do creates a lovely balance for the neckline and shape of her top and allows her earrings to finesse the 'look'.

I think Stephanie is going to be fun to watch because for her 'demure' doesn't necessarily mean boring!

I think she looked very nice at the wedding. I must be the only one but I think the dress/coat was fantastic. One of the best things she has worn, IMO. And the sandals are good too. But the hat is terrible and she could have chosen a much better clutch

I think she looked very nice at the wedding. I must be the only one but I think the dress/coat was fantastic. One of the best things she has worn, IMO. And the sandals are good too. But the hat is terrible and she could have chosen a much better clutch

I agree with you, it was a very nice outfit, but the hat was uggly.

I liked the dress, hated the shoes and the hat.

Nine times out of ten that is the way it is when I see her...I like what she is wearing but there is always something to throw it off....:whistling:

I wish she had worn her hair like this at her wedding:
http://www.gettyimages.co.nz/detail...-and-prince-guillaume-of-news-photo/143471402

Last edited:

Nine times out of ten that is the way it is when I see her...I like what she is wearing but there is always something to throw it off....:whistling:

http://www.gettyimages.co.nz/detail/news-photo/countess-stephanie-de-lannoy-and-prince-guillaume-of-news-photo/143471402

Yes, this is one of my favorite pictures. I like the way her updo is styled including hair colour. In fact, I like her whole ensemble. I believe this was taken during the early part of their engagement (before Stephanie's mother passed away).

Yes, that photo was taken on their engagement day. The death of the Comtesse de Lannoy took place exactly four months to the day later.:sad:

In the Elie Saab sketch of Stephanie's bridal gown, that is the way the model's hair was styled. I think an updo like this would have anchored the tiara and veil better. Instead, Stephanie grew her fine textured hair almost down to her waist for the wedding and pinned the elaborate chignon low in the back. It was extremely pretty, but the lacquer and gel caused the dainty de Lannoy tiara to slip back on her head, and her hair began falling from the hairpins in the back even before the ceremony was over.

This might not have happened with her hair piled high like it was in the engagement photos.

Countess Stephanie De Lannoy And Prince Guillaume Of

Now I am very pleased that she didn't wear her hair like that at her weddin. A good hairdo for an engagement, but at a wedding I expect "tidier" hair. The lock at the side of her head is not what I call "tidy" for a wedding.

Yes, that photo was taken on their engagement day. The death of the Comtesse de Lannoy took place exactly four months to the day later.:sad:

In the Elie Saab sketch of Stephanie's bridal gown, that is the way the model's hair was styled. I think an updo like this would have anchored the tiara and veil better. Instead, Stephanie grew her fine textured hair almost down to her waist for the wedding and pinned the elaborate chignon low in the back. It was extremely pretty, but the lacquer and gel caused the dainty de Lannoy tiara to slip back on her head, and her hair began falling from the hairpins in the back even before the ceremony was over.

This might not have happened with her hair piled high like it was in the engagement photos.

I haven't seen any slip of the de Lannoy tiara and falling hair at all, I don't think the person who did her hair would have been so "neglectant" as to allow that to happen. Had she had the hairdo that she had on the engagement picture, then I think the lock on the left side would have distracted from the de Lannoy family tiara.
IMO everything was in the right proportions but then, one can't please all people.

Luxembourg Royal Wedding: Prince Guillaume & Countess Stephanie De Lannoy's Glitzy Nuptials (PHOTOS)

She looked so lovely and so happy I winced when I saw her Tiara tilt backwards like that.

I haven't seen any slip of the de Lannoy tiara and falling hair at all, I don't think the person who did her hair would have been so "neglectant" as to allow that to happen.
Unfortunately it did happen and to this moment I can't figure out when they managed to straighten it up again.
IMO everything was in the right proportions but then, one can't please all people.
As you can see, this had nothing to do with "pleasing everyone" but what did, in fact, actually happen. So yes, I think a little more "bulk" at the top would have given them more to work with and anchor the tiara more securely.

That being said, I have to admit, the back view of her hair was pure magic!

https://www.google.com/search?q=stephanie+de+lannoy+wedding+tiara&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENNZ274&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=QztFUv_AI6iQiAft1ICABA&ved=0CDEQsAQ&biw=1093&bih=530&dpr=1#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=prljJaw6hkDu5M%3A%3B6VdAGaS5FlkarM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fcdn2-b.examiner.com%252Fsites%252Fdefault%252Ffiles%252Fstyles%252Fimage_content_width%252Fhash%252Fe7%252F2f%252Fe72f0ccc110e05e19df4585bee7bb1a6.jpg%253Fitok%253DyhJWduXS%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.examiner.com%252Fslideshow%252Fthe-wedding-of-stephanie-de-lannoy-and-prince-guillaume%3B271%3B350

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom