Hereditary Grand Duchess Stéphanie's Fashion & Style Part 3: June - December 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The label Stephanie has been wearing lately is called Weill. It's a high end French label, but it's affordable. She wore Weill for the National Day events.

I went to the Weill website and there are some lovely things, but on the whole they seem to be a cross between Chanel and Natan.:)eek:) so it can go either way.

Oh.

REALLY????

Guess I'll hold off on doing cartwheels around the room, just yet.

Still, I'm glad to FINALLY see that her star is slowly on the rise!

I simply don't understand her seeming attachment to scarves/shawls. She appears to have one in every imaginable color! :ermm:

Let's hope that when her confidence in her new role grows, she won't even need to carry one around with her! ;)

Well,maybe she could swap the long shawls with smaller silk scarves, they would serve just the same cause,
but look much more elegant and stylish IMO.

I simply don't understand her seeming attachment to scarves/shawls. She appears to have one in every imaginable color! :ermm:

Let's hope that when her confidence in her new role grows, she won't even need to carry one around with her! ;)

I understand it completely. I have tons of scarves, in ever shape and colour, wear them with every outfit. I am glad there is one princess / duchess out there that shares my sentiment ;)

The look and the colour great on her ... love the bag....

I understand it completely. I have tons of scarves, in ever shape and colour, wear them with every outfit. I am glad there is one princess / duchess out there that shares my sentiment ;)

The difference is that I am sure you wear yours with pananche and style. Stephanie seems to grab a scarf or shawl even with outfits that don't warrant one...like the coatdress on her latest outing.

You wouldn't wrap a shawl or scarf around that would you??

She is like a baby with its security blanket, never goes anywhere without one.

She is like a baby with its security blanket, never goes anywhere without one.

I would dare say that everyone has some odd mannerisms and personal items that are very important but may seem strange to outsiders.
If Stéphanie likes to carry a scarf everywhere she goes it´s ok,I am only disappointed when a HUGE scarf/shawl covers her otherwise pretty and elegant outfit. The scarf is not the problem,only the way she is wearing them could be a little bit different to look more stylish & beautiful :)

She's progressed from wearing it to carrying it. As her confidence grows I am certain she will discard it completely...at least I hope so.

She's been married for eight months yet.

Watching her progress is somewhat like watching a butterfly emerge from a chrysalis...rather exciting!

The difference is that I am sure you wear yours with pananche and style. Stephanie seems to grab a scarf or shawl even with outfits that don't warrant one...like the coatdress on her latest outing.

You wouldn't wrap a shawl or scarf around that would you??

Have to admit didn't wear an outfit that any type of a scarf would not fit it yet, but I guess you are correct there are outfits that would look bad with a scarf.

I've admired this lovely young woman ever since she came to my attention at the time of her betrothal. I think she always looks ladylike, dignified and sincere. I wish I could use my scarves as accessories as well as she does!

Concerning the scarf habit, possibly this is left over from a Catholic school where she went. The girls there may have had scarfs always available to put over their heads when entering a chapel, even the school chapel. I don't know if this habit is still in force in Catholic schools, I think it's not in America. But Stephanie might have gone to an old fashioned convent school where a scarf for chapel was always required.

I am no shrink, but maybe it's a sort of security blanket when she is out in the world facing crowds and uncertainty. She needs something to hold on to, or to wrap around herself.

I might probably do the same if I was a young woman in my 20's who in less than a year had changed my country, had to learn a new language, and become a Royal princess after a very spectacular and public wedding and suddenly lost my mother on top of it all. Not to mention the frail and elderly father back in Belgium who must constantly be on her mind.:sad:

And ALL of it in less than a year.

I think she seems very mature and dignified, but there's also something a little sad about her as well which is why I tend to defend her a lot.

The Grand-ducal Palace of Luxembourg has put Stephanie's bridal gown on public display. I cannot believe they are going to risk allowing people to touch it!

Luxarazzi

Last edited by a moderator:
Concerning the scarf habit, possibly this is left over from a Catholic school where she went. The girls there may have had scarfs always available to put over their heads when entering a chapel, even the school chapel. I don't know if this habit is still in force in Catholic schools, I think it's not in America. But Stephanie might have gone to an old fashioned convent school where a scarf for chapel was always required.

Stephanie does not belong to any group that requires women to go veiled in public.

The truth is that a scarf is an accessory. Accessories are used to heighten the effect/beauty of an outfit or to serve a utility (handbags serve a utility and also heighten effect/beauty).

It's just my opinion, but if she wants to wear a scarf all the time - she needs to ask someone how to do that. Vera was a HUGE scarf manufacturers in the US as I grew up. They gave out brochures showing how to wear what scarf in different fashionable ways - how to tie them, drape them, etc. I learned a lot about how to wear scarves from that. Today, the internet will show people the same techniques.

If I can teach myself how to wear my many scarves to positive effect, Stephanie can as well. She just needs to do that - on her own or with someones help.

Only Harry Potter has a cloak of invisibility. :whistling:

I am no shrink, but maybe it's a sort of security blanket when she is out in the world facing crowds and uncertainty. She needs something to hold on to, or to wrap around herself.

I might probably do the same if I was a young woman in my 20's who in less than a year had changed my country, had to learn a new language, and become a Royal princess after a very spectacular and public wedding and suddenly lost my mother on top of it all. Not to mention the frail and elderly father back in Belgium who must constantly be on her mind.:sad:

And ALL of it in less than a year.

I think she seems very mature and dignified, but there's also something a little sad about her as well which is why I tend to defend her a lot.

I was thinking along the same lines. This might be something that she does to feel a bit more at ease in public. It's not easy being on display, and the scarf may indeed be something she uses to feel a little less exposed. She's doing great, and I think in time, she'll have the confidence to feel secure without a scarf or a shawl.

Was chapel every day? I don't have a problem with her carrying a scarf, but presumably she knows when she'll be visiting a place with required headgear.

Unless lux or Belgium are different from other catholic countries I doubt a scarf is needed to go to mass if you are appropriately dressed ie covered shoulders, right skirt length. So I doubt this is the reason why she likes them or that she was asked to use one at school when going to church. I may be wrong but have never seen this in Europe.

I also went to a Catholic private school,we had to dress appropriately (no miniskirts or bare shoulders in the church),but did not have to wear a scarf.On a normal school day we were dressed like average pupils,but at special dates we had to wear a simple school uniform-the ladies had to wear a black skirt/trouser with white top and the men were expected to wear a black trouser with white shirt and usually they would also wear a black blazer and a tie. Some girls had a little silk scarf around their neck which was similar to a men´s tie,but most pupils did not wear a shawl or scarf.

Considering the headcover:I have learned that in Roman Catholic churches men have to take off the hat,it is a sign of respect for god and it would be rather considered offensive if you were covering your head in the church. However, I have been to Buddhist temples and a Russian orthodox church where every woman was asked to take a light veil to cover her hair,so every part of the world and every religious group has different rules:)
As we all know,Muslim women are expected to cover their hair when they pray in a mosque, but I am sure that HGD Stéphanie does not carry the scarf for any religious reasons!
From personal experience I can say it is useful to carry a pashmina in your bag,because sometimes it gets cold in the evening and you can use it to wrap yourself in,or when you sit in a restaurant and you happen to make a stain on your dress you can cover it with a scarf;-)

Last edited:
Only men are required to remove their hats. Tradition instructs women to cover their heads (not mandatory any longer).

That´s true,but at our school we had this "no-hat-policy",because it would seem unfair if the men had to take off their hats while women are allowed to wear one.But there are regional differences and also different religious groups who have different views on what is seen as appropriate clothing for women.I have experienced that Orthodox churches expect women to cover their hair,but at Roman Catholic churches it is only expected that men take off their headgear while women are only asked to cover their shoulders and wear decent clothes.
If there are any doubts about this specific topic, just watch and do what the local women do:)

Last edited:
At most any Latin Mass women cover their heads. They are not as common as Mass in the venacular but they are still going strong.

LaRae

Latin Mass are certainly not common here in Europe, as isn't the habit of women covering their heads (men taking off their hats is required). As KittyAtlanta said it was a tradition long long time ago and is not mandatory anymore. Rarely a woman does that in a regular mass. I'm 99,9% sure, Stephanie doesn't carry a scarf because of religion

The pictures not clear enough to really see how she looks. But from what I can see she look okay.

At most any Latin Mass women cover their heads. They are not as common as Mass in the venacular but they are still going strong.

LaRae

That´s true, I was just re-reading the comment I made yesterday and I laugh about my own stupid mistakes!
Because I am not a frequent church-goer (for reasons that are off-topic), I have made several mistakes.
I am trying to set it straight now and made a little list, feel free to correct me or add anything:)

1)men are expected to take off their hats in church

2)at Latin masses (which are very very rare,I only know 2 churches in my city that do it like in the old days)
every woman has to cover her hair and wear modest clothes that do not show any cleavage or bare shoulders.

3)in some countries & regions women have developed very elaborate headgear that is traditionally worn in church or for festive occasions- just think of the Spanish "mantilla"->Mantilla - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
or the wedding veil!Most young women do not know about these old traditions,but there are many women who keep up the old traditions and still wear and/or create these old hats and decorative headgear.
In the very religious& traditional place where my mother grew up, many old women cover their head with a dark veil which is either kept simple or decorated with (often hand-made) embroidery or traditional floral elements.

4)catholic nuns always cover their head and wear very traditional clothes

5)There is a wikipedia entry about this topic too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_headcovering

Last edited:
What you're saying is true, but, at least here in Europe, those very traditional Latin masses are very, very, very uncommon. I don't even know where I could find them here in Portugal... Therefore, it's very rare to see a woman covering her head, specially a woman the age of Stephanie. That's why I think it's highly unlikely that's the reason why she carries the scarf with her.

I agree with you, I believe that she carries the scarf for personal reasons,maybe she often feels cold or she just likes to have something to "hold onto" when the people look at her or take her picture...
I can only imagine,but she certainly does not use the scarf for religious reasons:)

The pictures not clear enough to really see how she looks. But from what I can see she look okay.

The gown itself is lovely. But I agree that in order to determine how well Stephanie herself is wearing it, we need better photos.

Hopefully more will come in.

I would LOVE to see any more and better New York photos.

From what I could make out from that one, Steph is STILL stepping up to the plate!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom