Fashion for the little royals Part 8: July 2015 - April 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding Louise's shoes, I think she wears flat, serviceable shoes because her eye problems affect her balance and gait. This was most apparent during the Cambridges' wedding ceremony when she walked down the aisle next to Margarita Armstrong-Jones. Louise stood with her feet further apart and seemed to weave around the aisle a bit. I have no proof of this other than my observations, though. I also happen to agree that her interests lie in horse pursuits and probably quite a bit of money is spent outfitting her there rather than street fashion in which she seems to show little interest.

I don't know why the assumption (by some) is that you don't care for Louise's clothes, and therefore her parents must be forcing her to wear them. First of all, I think Louise looks fine - in these pictures, and in general. Eleven is a weird age, and inevitably some things might look awkward as kids - and their wardrobes - are shifting from childhood to teenage years. I know I went from in a bit of a tomboy-ish phase at age 10/11 but by 13/14 I desperately wanted to look grown-up and "cool." Personally, I think pre-teens should be cut a bit of a break as that's really a time of transition for a kid, and for their parents, too.

I think what's most important is that Louise always looks happy and confident in herself. I know whenever my parents forced me to wear something, it was usually accompanied by a pretty miserable look on my face. Louise never really looks self-conscious or uncomfortable, IMO, she just looks like a happy, healthy kid, and I think that's more important than anything.

She's going to get comments on her clothes the rest of her life from the media etc...there won't be any pleasing them no matter what she does. She might as well please herself.

LaRae

Exactly :) Let wears that pleases and let the media saying anything want.
Anyway that always do.

Regarding Louise's shoes, I think she wears flat, serviceable shoes because her eye problems affect her balance and gait. This was most apparent during the Cambridges' wedding ceremony when she walked down the aisle next to Margarita Armstrong-Jones. Louise stood with her feet further apart and seemed to weave around the aisle a bit. I have no proof of this other than my observations, though. I also happen to agree that her interests lie in horse pursuits and probably quite a bit of money is spent outfitting her there rather than street fashion in which she seems to show little interest.

I've had the same thought with regard to her shoes, mostly because I've noticed that the shoes she wears often tend to be quite sturdy. And, yes,I also think that Louise's interests are oriented toward equestrian things. I, of course, don't know the details of their lives, but it seems to me that the Wessexes keep their family life pretty country-oriented, and it's likely that Louise's friends are the same way. There might just not be a particularly interest in what what might be considered fashionable to others.

As long as she is approximately dressed for the weather, is happy with how she looks why should we have a say in this? I genuinely don't understand why and in my experience it is woman, do this to other women. I have never heard men sit down and discuss what other men are wearing, ever but that is just me.

As long as she is approximately dressed for the weather, is happy with how she looks why should we have a say in this? I genuinely don't understand why and in my experience it is woman, do this to other women. I have never heard men sit down and discuss what other men are wearing, ever but that is just me.

Very true. And Louise isn't even a grown woman - she's eleven. I hate to see a young girl picked apart in the media or anywhere else. No one needs that.

Very true. And Louise isn't even a grown woman - she's eleven. I hate to see a young girl picked apart in the media or anywhere else. No one needs that.
Thank you Isabella
No one needs it, least of all a child.

....and then we wonder why they get so totally obsessed with their looks once they hit the teen years.

She's going to get comments on her clothes the rest of her life from the media etc...there won't be any pleasing them no matter what she does. She might as well please herself.

LaRae

I doubt that; I think the media's interest will be similar to that of the Duke of Gloucester's daughters, or the Duke of Kent's.
Unless she becomes a public figure like Zara Phillips, I think Louise will probably be left alone except at major events like Trooping.

It's already happening just here in this forum and she's only 11...and this is not the first time the issue has come up.

LaRae

Look how many post on what a little kid is wearing. Imagine the scrutiny Charlotte is going to get. Not looking forward to it.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

90% of her scrutiny is going to be the media trying to make her Diana reincarnate... Oh, she wore mauve to this do? why, she is simply channeling her grandmother who mauve on 13 March of 1974, dontyaknow? And oh my she walks like Diana, with that graceful bipedal gait!

I love Elisabeth's pants but not the jacket.

Since I spent most of my waking hours from the age of 10 and up with horses I lived in jeans, teeshirts and boots. The only time I didn't wear them was to Church. I did sometimes wear tennis shoes to school..but always jeans and tees or casual tops.

I think it's safe to say Louise is part of the horse set. She's going to wear what she's used to wearing or comfortable in wearing. Let her be, when she's ready she will change her style of dress...or she won't.

Myself I'd rather see her like she is now than looking like a mini adult or tarted up in what passes for fashion in teens these days.

LaRae

I agree with you. Louise looks appropriate, and dresses the way a child her age ought to be dressing.

LaRae

Exactly! She wasn't put on this planet to please anyone. That is the ultimate point. She shouldn't dress a certain way just because the press needs someone to tear apart, or praise. She wears what she likes, what she's comfortable with, and what makes her feel good about herself. She's only eleven.

As someone with a visual impairment, and as someone who works with children with a visual impairment, I agree with you. I can't wear shoes that are the most 'stylish', because I need to keep my balance. I have the same gait as Louise for that reason too. If she suffers from lack of depth perception, balance will be a huge issue. I always encourage the parents of my students to dress their kids in practical footwear. Yes, patent Mary-Jane shoes may look pretty, but they lack support. Style can be sacrificed for safety. Perhaps that's what the reasoning is behind Louise's choices of footwear.

I don't know why the assumption (by some) is that you don't care for Louise's clothes, and therefore her parents must be forcing her to wear them. First of all, I think Louise looks fine - in these pictures, and in general. Eleven is a weird age, and inevitably some things might look awkward as kids - and their wardrobes - are shifting from childhood to teenage years. I know I went from in a bit of a tomboy-ish phase at age 10/11 but by 13/14 I desperately wanted to look grown-up and "cool." Personally, I think pre-teens should be cut a bit of a break as that's really a time of transition for a kid, and for their parents, too.

I think what's most important is that Louise always looks happy and confident in herself. I know whenever my parents forced me to wear something, it was usually accompanied by a pretty miserable look on my face. Louise never really looks self-conscious or uncomfortable, IMO, she just looks like a happy, healthy kid, and I think that's more important than anything.

You're correct. Just because something is not appealing to the masses, it doesn't mean that someone won't want to wear it. No one says we have to agree with Louise's wardrobe, but to assume she was forced into it is just silly. Louise looks like a very self-confident young lady, and that won't come from being forced into outfits. She needs to feel good about how she looks, period. What the rest of us think is pretty irrelevant. Her parents have enough sense to not send her outside dressed inappropriately, and if they're OK with what she wears, and she's happy, that's what counts. No need to assume she's being shielded, being prevented from growing up, etc. One way to handle the press is by having confidence, and allowing the child to wear what s/he likes is a big part of that.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

The same discussions arise every time Louise is seen in public. The poor girl, or her mother or whoever chooses her clothes, can't get it right in people's eyes.

I think Louise looked perfectly appropriate on Sunday, particularly her lovely navy trench coat. Her coloured jeans were practical and paired well with her navy top and coat. Her outfit reminded me of the things we have see Princess Ingrid-Alexandra wear lately Ingrid Alexandra .

Louise's deck/boat shoes are actually quite on trend. A lot of people, both adults and children, have deck shoes including myself. Louise's may look a bit more "old fashioned" as they have a velcro strap but they are still current and I think they went with her out fit. She looked comfortable and prepared for the rainy weather on the day.

James is always seen dressed appropriately for his age. Admittedly it is easier for a young boy as you can put him in a Ralph Lauren shirt and jumper combo which James wears a lot and he looks fine. When we see him in "down time", he is dressed in normal t-shirts and trainers. We can't say Sophie is choosing her daughter's old fashioned dresses and tights to stunt her develop etc. as her son is dressed fine. It all boils down to what Sophie probably thinks a young princess should be wearing to public outings with her Granny who happens to be the Queen.

Maybe this Christmas we will see the end of the white tights and Louise will be in nude tights. She has to wear some form of tights on her legs as the British royals prefer their legs to be covered and she can't get away with white ankles socks anymore, particularly given how tall she is.

I'm loving Athena's blouse and wellies combo!

I love the colour of Lady Louise's trousers jeans - she pulled them off! :D She is getting so grown up and so TALL.

To me Louise looks just fine, comfortable in her own skin and clothes. I'm pretty sure she wears what she likes at the moment. Recently it's more of a 'tomboyish' look, but she has worn some cute dresses, cardigan & coats as well.
My sister for many, many years prefered very sporty style of dressing. She still does, why I don't own a single pair of sporty shoes, as I feel weird in those. I prefer casual, but still classic/elegant look. You will find more dresses than pants in my closet, while my sister is a total opposite.

PS: Some new blog posts:
HRH The Countess of Wessex

I agree with Anna - Louise is possibly going through a tomboy phase which a lot of young girls do. We have seen her wearing dresses and coats, but perhaps in her down time she prefers to wear jeans and comfortable shoes if she isn't able to wear her horse riding boots. Zara Phillips was very much the same as a young girl.

Zara Phillips when she was 12. Very similar to Louise in jeans, looking very casual and tomboyish.

Zara Phillips when she was 11 at Sandringham wearing a dress and coat. Obviously she isn't wearing white tights and Mary-Janes like Louise but the comparison I was making is that she seemed to prefer casual jeans and t-shirts but on public clearly wore what Mum said and stuck with dresses.

Side note: Louise looks a lot like Zara as a young girl!

I agree amaryllus' previous post about how her clothing fits. My main issue with Louise's clothing has been that some pieces are obviously too short/small for her. The traditional style that she wears to public events is very similar to what her older cousins Zara, Beatrice and Eugenie wore at the same age/stage.

11 September: Princess Anne's grandchildren at the Gatcombe Horse Trials. Savanah's dress isn't the usual style of clothing she wears, and her tights and shoes make me wonder if she's in her uniform. Since it was a school day yesterday it makes a lot of sense. She looks really sweet in it though.

Mia ~ Savannah and Isla

11 September: Princess Anne's grandchildren at the Gatcombe Horse Trials. Savanah's dress isn't the usual style of clothing she wears, and her tights and shoes make me wonder if she's in her uniform. Since it was a school day yesterday it makes a lot of sense. She looks really sweet in it though.

Mia ~ Savannah and Isla

It's her school uniform as she started reception this year as she turns 5 in December. She looks to be wearing the uniform of Beaudesert Private School which Zara also attended as a child.

These children are always a joy to see... so cute !!!!

Thank you for the information, Molly. Savannah looks precious in her uniform, and I love Mia's boots. Very sweet little girls.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

It's her school uniform as she started reception this year as she turns 5 in December. She looks to be wearing the uniform of Beaudesert Private School which Zara also attended as a child.

And another thanks from me for the info Molly, I had thought that was the case. I didn't realise Savannah was in the reception class already - she's getting so big now.

It's already happening just here in this forum and she's only 11...and this is not the first time the issue has come up.

LaRae

Yes, in forums like this, where we analyze everything.

But the general public won't care.

:previous: Thanks for noticing and sharing that with us - it's a cute detail. I don't remember seeing this photo of Josephine before, what event was it from? I know it was from Margrethe's birthday though I don't know what particular event Josephine is at in the photo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom