Fashion and Style of Royal Men, Part 2: April 2016 - October 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought even uniforms would be worn on events like these..?! I mean, this was a purely military thing, wasn´t it?

In general, at these memorials of bygone military occasions veterans don't wear uniforms. (They were probably glad to get rid of them when they were demobbed in 1945!) At the WW2 commemorations last year in France I don't think Charles, Harry or William wore uniforms and most of the old soldiers didn't.

I wasn't suggesting anyone was offended. I'm questioning the excuse given. Even for the sake of argument Harry was told not to wear a tie. When he was called on it, he should have said, you're right, next time I'll wear a tie. To suggest it's someone else's fault is something a politician would do.

Not the end of the world but poor form in my opinion. If this was any other royal but Harry, there would be a dedicated thread on about it's 25th page questioning it.

But anyway, life goes on.

Last edited:
I notice one veteran had a bow tie, very snazzy!

Last edited by a moderator:
I wasn't suggesting anyone was offended. I'm questioning the excuse given. Even for the sake of argument Harry was told not to wear a tie. When he was called on it, he should have said, you're right, next time I'll wear a tie. To suggest it's someone else's fault is something a politician would do.

Not the end of the world but poor form in my opinion. If this was any other royal but Harry, there would be a dedicated thread on about it's 25th page questioning it.

But anyway, life goes on.

My goodness I'm just catching up with the shocking news Harry didn't have a tie on today. This will mark the downfall of the RF.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I personally don't think it's a big deal that he didn't wear a tie, but I realize that some might feel differently.

I will say I'm surprised to see the media call Harry out for his wardrobe. It's usually the women that have to endure the constant scrutiny and criticism about their attire at royal events.

Last edited:
I'll be honest here. I know a lot of Vietnam and Korean War and Post WWII vets. When I first saw the pictures, I had the thought that most of my older veteran friends would wonder why he could/should get away without a tie.
It is generational and definitely ties are out with most of the Iraq era vets. But for the older guys, it is still the done thing.
Not that the world will stop turning on it's axis, but it won't cost Harry a thing to consider his audience when picking out what to wear with the blue suit coat. JMO.

Guess he was shocked and quite embarrased... I get the impression that he likes to "manage" things quite closely... so a cock-up like this would have freaked him out - a nightmare scenario. I don't think he likes to get things wrong. Pity he made that comment, although I didn't really take it as anything... he was badly advised - in hindsight, he will realise that maybe he should have apologised and then have a good laugh about it. Who knows? maybe that's what he did.

There is no way that Prince Harry does not know how to dress himself!

There is no way that Prince Harry does not know how to dress himself!

I think he's just proven that he does not always make the right choice about such matters. A prince who is an officer in the army should not have to rely on someone else to tell him when to wear a tie, or at least to carry one in his pocket just in case.

I think Harry'd been sailing and enjoying himself and he had forgotten to pack a tie when he went to Portsmouth. I'm sure he won't do this again. However, I'm more worried about that darned blue suit of his, which is a veteran on its own account! :)

Would it help if Prince Harry kept a spare tie in the glove compartment of his vehicle? :nonono::nonono::nonono::nonono::nonono::nonono::nonono:

Harry told a veteran he was out sailing earlier in the day. Maybe he just forgot but I doubt he was specifically told not to wear a tie.

Harry's private secretary, Edward Lane Fox, is like Harry, a former officer in the Blues and Royals. An officer and a gentleman knows when to wear a tie.

I think Harry was trying to save face and blamed it on his staff.

I agree. It's obvious from the video. I saw it at once. :ermm:

Then when one sees the photos in this light it's clear that Harry is underdressed, as he stands next to those who have made every effort to be at their best for him. And to those who mention that a female would be being grilled on the lapse in respect, I have to agree that Harry is being given a pass (by some).

Harry may photograph well, and be able to handle the superficial fizz of such meetings, yet he remains a lightweight in many ways. That's what I see.

Really people it's a tie !!!!!!

The only people upset are on this forum

Where’s your tie? Come on, get your bloody tie on.”

Sounds like that veteran was very impressed and had no issue :bang: Oh wait he must be a member of the forum. As are all the people who have commented on the multiple articles.

I find it refreshing. Women constantly come under fire. Nice for once a man actually gets called on a fashion faux paus.

The only people upset are on this forum

Well there are quite a few articles about his lack of tie, so this isn't the only place where it's being mentioned. Plus, I don't think anyone is genuinely upset about it. People are just discussing whether he should have worn one.

Royal women are routinely criticized about how they wear their hair/make-up and if they're wearing the right outfit/shoes, so I think Harry will survive a few comments about his tie.

A tie would have looked smart and added an extra mark of respect.
I understand that no one was really upset but Harry is old enough to learn the finer points of dressing from his father, grandfather and older cousins and uncles.
I'd like to see him, and William, embracing better wardrobes.

Yes, what is it with males among the Scandi royals and their love of brown shoes with everything? Haakon is the same!

Is Guillaume trying for a new way of wearing the yellow sash of the Order of The Golden Lion, ie looped under his left armpit? It looks very strange.

Last edited:
Is it the order of the lion? I thought they normally wear an order from the visiting country. Or do they not have an order from Romania :ermm:

But yes, I too was confused/laughed at the armpit position of the sash. It definitely not over his shoulder as it should be.

GD Henri is wearing collar of the Order of the Star of Romania. I assume HGD Guillaume doesn't have a Romanian order so he's wearing the Order of the Lion.

Frederik at a dinner yesterday for the Global Green Growth Forum
a beautiful tie
http://www.billedbladet.dk/sites/bi...ticle/20160606_jsu7317_copy.jpg?itok=-aBX7koO

and today at a school Olympics event, looking casual as the events were outside on the track and field, but very nice. (and sexy too ;))
http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Jun2016/PPE16060721.jpg
the pants are nice as well
http://ppe-agency.com/500px/Jun2016/PPE16060716.jpg

Yes, what is it with males among the Scandi royals and their love of brown shoes with everything? Haakon is the same!

yes, Haakon is much much worse with his ugly brown shoes that he has been wearing for years. At least Carl-Philip's looked cleaned. these are a big miss especially with the bright blue suit
http://www.kongehuset.no/aim/kongeh...0aba9a88013fef4dff00d0a7aed25756e45c52590.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Those shoes would look great with a khaky coloured or brown suit. But not with blue!!

It was a styled photo shoot. Have to wait and see how he continues to dress outside of a photo shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom