Crown Princess Mathilde's Hats, Headwear and Hairstyles: October 2003 - July 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics (Seeger,PPE,AP) and info (Le Soir) about Mathilde's hat for the national day 2006.

The designer, Fabienne Delvigne explains "All I can say is that princess Mathilde has chosen something completely new. Because she will be dressed in orange, I've chosen an apricot-pink shade." The designer explains that she had the do her best to convince Mathilde about this design. Last Friday, when the princess was at Natan, Edouard Vermeulen and she opted for something classical. "But I see it as my personnal pride not only to make the princess look sublime, but also to give her the opportunity to wear new things, more avant garde. She finally opted for a model in banana fibre and buntal that sculpts her face. It's inspired by the Charade model, but shortened." She first made it in black and white, because initially Mathilde had chosen a different outfit then the one she would eventually wear. When she changed her mind, 'Madame Chapeau' had to order new fabrics at the last moment. "But the colour was a little too yellow, not classy enough. Luckely I still had white fabric in my studio that we painted, a work that lasted till midnight. In the morning I was really scared that in daylight the colour woudn't be as I expected. But everything was fine, a big relief."

This is the charade model Mathilde's hat was inspired by.

And this is the fabulous result:

Wow, that was a last minute action! The only thing I disliked about the entire outfit was the shade of the shoes and the purse. It didn’t match that good with the hat and the dress. But obviously it was pretty difficult to get a new (lighter?) dress and a new hat, so Mathilde didn’t want to bring the shoe-and-purse-group in trouble too and spared them out. (Can you hear their relieved “Phew!!!”?)

theprincess said:
I like Princess Mathilde's jacket here, but I think that matching tweed hat is too much. I think the outfit would have looked much better with nice solid black or other coloured hat.

I think Mathilde is one of the few women I've ever seen who can carry off that matching tweed hat and jacket.

And that unusual hat headpiece with the orange dress, she really wore the entire outfit well! She gets high marks from me for that one too.

This is one lady that knows what works for her, that's for sure!

Last edited:
Another creation by Fabienne Delvigne. Mathilde wore it in June 2006, for her sister's wedding (rex features, photoshot, seegerpress).

Mathilde looks more happy and radiant day by day!!!!!!! Thank for posting the pictures.

a diplomatic reception at the palace (PPE, seeger):

I have been curious about whether or not Mathilde has ever had her hair long. I got my answer in the first post of this thread. But I have to say the longer hair doesn't become her at all. She looks much more polished and dignified with her current hairstyle. I also find it interesting that she has changed the least since marrying into a royal family. I mean that really only as in her hairstyle. She's really kept her hair color and the overall length/style the same as far as I can tell. And the best thing is that she still finds plenty of ways to wear it.

Great pics stephanievl. I'll have to go back and see more pics of the recent photo with the attached hair, I must have missed that event somehow.

I love her with her hair up. IMO, her face tends to look a bit too broad, or puffy, when she wears her hair down.
She has renewed the whole concept of the chignon. She is very interesting : seems very classic, but always with a bit of fantasy added to it, and that gorgeous, gentle smile of hers.
I wish more princesses found her inspiration in Mathilde; she never disappoints. I like her bold choices, yet always classy and feminine. She is definitely underrated as a fashion icon. Maybe one day, people will study her clothes, hats, hairstyles, etc, and they'll go, Gee, I never knew Princess Mathilde had such an original style.

O love her hair under that green dress burt I am not sure if it is her own hair or not!

Usually I like Crown Princess Mathilde's hats, headpieces or hairstyles. She perfectly pulled off a rather complicated red headpiece worn for the military defile. However, I found the way her hair was style for the tiny green hat awkward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom