Crown Princess Mary's Eveningwear Part 13: January 2014 - June 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I prefer the higher neckline on this gown.

2007 is the best. And the choker is ugly.

I agree, Roseroyal, 2007 with the cut and flow of the gown was the best. But Mary looks magnificent in the dress no matter what the metamorphosis has been over the years.

Agreed- I love the gown and tiara any way she wears it. But the choker has got to go!
Looks like a royal dog collar..

Last edited:
I'm not a great dressmaker but how can this be classed as the same dress. Apart from the fact it has a train and "medieval cuffs", nothing is the same between 2007 and 2014.

In 2007 it has a scooped neck (you cannot turn a scoop neck into a higher wider neck, although you could do the opposite), there are seams near the top of the sleeves, there is a seam under the bust (understandable as she is pregnant), there are seams in the front portion of the skirt, ie there is a central panel and then seams, not at the side, but towards the front.

The real problem with velvet is that stitching shows - and you cannot disguise where it has been.

She looks good - in fact very good in red velvet. She has had another dress made. And I really like it.

JMO

2007 is the best. And the choker is ugly.
Actually I thought 2012 is by far the best as the neckline was more flattering and stylish. I don't hate the choker [not my favorite] but it is certainly not ugly or offensive. I do give her credit for trying different things and experimenting with pieces of jewelry.

Really, there is no problem with the dress because they havekept the old fabric. Obviousy. The choker should have been left off, she doesn't have the long neck for that.
Anyway, the red silk velvet is very perfect for Mary and the belt that has been added is not too pretty. She would look better with a straight dress.

I'm not a great dressmaker but how can this be classed as the same dress. Apart from the fact it has a train and "medieval cuffs", nothing is the same between 2007 and 2014.

In 2007 it has a scooped neck (you cannot turn a scoop neck into a higher wider neck, although you could do the opposite), there are seams near the top of the sleeves, there is a seam under the bust (understandable as she is pregnant), there are seams in the front portion of the skirt, ie there is a central panel and then seams, not at the side, but towards the front.

The real problem with velvet is that stitching shows - and you cannot disguise where it has been.

She looks good - in fact very good in red velvet. She has had another dress made. And I really like it.

JMO

I have to agree. I don't think they are the same dress. I would go as far as saying the 2007 and 2012 material is different. The colour of the latter is a far deeper red and the quality of the velvet is better.

The cut of the 2012 dress suits Mary more than the Empire style of the 2007.

And I never tire seeing the Ruby parure. It's such a beautiful piece. But the choker is pushing the imagination a bit far. Unfortunately, this dress doesn't allow the full necklace to be worn (it's my favourite bit of the parure).

Lovely dress and a great choice for the evening but I don't like the choker. The diamonds on the velvet of the dress looks odd to me, should've been placed on a black velvet or satin IMO.

I agree with some of the other posters - I prefer the higher neckline but didn't like the choker - it makes her neck look too short. She does though always look really good in this rich, deep shade of red.

I love, love, love the dress, very regal. But the choker is just awful, a cheap western movie comes to my mind. Spoils an otherwise perfect look for me.

The red velvet dress is just amazing. It looks absolutely perfect on Mary. I also prefer her hair this way than the alien-like hairstyle from the last time she wore the dress. The hairstyle and jewels are just beautiful.

Have to agree about the choker, though. It looks dated and it even makes the ruby brooch look cheap, although we know it isn´t.

The red velvet is an amazing dress and Mary always looks amazing, but how many times has it been worn now?
I know royals do well to recycle but come on Mary update your wardrobe.

I also refuse to believe 2007 is the same as the 2012 dress, people have done this with Mary's other dresses and it's been shown to be wrong.

The red velvet is an amazing dress and Mary always looks amazing, but how many times has it been worn now?

I also refuse to believe 2007 is the same as the 2012 dress, people have done this with Mary's other dresses and it's been shown to be wrong.
Well, if you refuse to believe the 2007 dress is the same, then it has been worn only for the second time now. No need to update the wardrobe IMO, especially when the latest poll shows that many Danes think the royals get too much money. :) The NY gowns are very "grand style" and cannot be worn at many other occasions. So I think it's a good idea to wear them as long as she fits in.

I would rather say: come on Marie recycle your New Year gowns (but please not last year's pink circus number).

But this is Marie's only NY court, so perhaps it's understandable she wears something new each time. Mary will attend 2 more courts, perhaps she will wear something new (for the NY courts) then. But she cannot possibly wear something new each year/time.

when I see the 2 photos , certenly they look 2 diferent dresses, I think it is possible it is the same skirt, but the body part and sleeves had been changed , she has to have a lot of fabric left over!

Mary's hairstyle:

*Images have been heavily cropped, comprising less than 20% of the original versions, and are not subject to copyright

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 4,392
I love, love, love the dress, very regal. But the choker is just awful, a cheap western movie comes to my mind. Spoils an otherwise perfect look for me.

The choker wasn't nice at all,other than that Crown Princess Mary looked radiant!

In this article (Billeder: Margrethe og Mary i genbrug | Billed Bladet), the designer of the gorgeous wine-red silk velvet gown, Birgit Hallstein, describes how she refitted the gown.

The gown, which was designed for a very pregnant Mary back in 2007, underwent heavy modification for the New Year banquet in 2012. The upper part of the gown is new and made from some extra fabric they purchased back when they made the original. In addition to that, there has been added some more fabric to the lower part to make it fuller and it has been refitted over the hips. So it is not a new dress, it's just been heavily refitted.

QMII is notorious for having her gowns refitted (remember this "coat" from M&F's wedding which turned into a beautiful gown), so she has probably inspired Mary to do the same thing.

In this article (Billeder: Margrethe og Mary i genbrug | Billed Bladet), the designer of the gorgeous wine-red silk velvet gown, Birgit Hallstein, describes how she refitted the gown.

The gown, which was designed for a very pregnant Mary back in 2007, underwent heavy modification for the New Year banquet in 2012. The upper part of the gown is new and made from some extra fabric they purchased back when they made the original. In addition to that, there has been added some more fabric to the lower part to make it fuller and it has been refitted over the hips. So it is not a new dress, it's just been heavily refitted.

QMII is notorious for having her gowns refitted (remember this "coat" from M&F's wedding which turned into a beautiful gown), so she has probably inspired Mary to do the same thing.

It is a beautiful color for CP Mary and refitting this dress mad sense. However I agree with most people that the choker wasn't her best look. It seems that the proportions are off.

It is a beautiful color for CP Mary and refitting this dress mad sense. However I agree with most people that the choker wasn't her best look. It seems that the proportions are off.

I think credit should be given to the crown princess in thinking of a new way to present the fabulous rubies! Myself, I admired the creativity of the choker and hope the princess will continue to innovate with her historical treasures!:flowers: Happy New Year to all with the hope that danish members will let me know how to say happy new year in Danish!

This has always been my favourite dress of hers, so I'm very happy to see her using it again. She looks wonderful. But I don't like the choker.

Mary's hairstyle:

*Images have been heavily cropped, comprising less than 20% of the original versions, and are not subject to copyright

Great Photos, Thank you! I like how she uses part of the tiara as hair pins! I wonder what they use inside her bun, she has short heair, but looks like she had a lot and long! super well done!:flowers:

I have to agree. I don't think they are the same dress. I would go as far as saying the 2007 and 2012 material is different. The colour of the latter is a far deeper red and the quality of the velvet is better.

The cut of the 2012 dress suits Mary more than the Empire style of the 2007.

And I never tire seeing the Ruby parure. It's such a beautiful piece. But the choker is pushing the imagination a bit far. Unfortunately, this dress doesn't allow the full necklace to be worn (it's my favourite bit of the parure).

And I agree with you both! - Having made dresses for myself for years, I know you cannot alter the front to go up or down like the pictures show. Also, in 2007, the sleeves were gathered on the top seam, and they were wider. And the body was wider to allow for pregnancy.

Conclusion: two dresses. The dress in 2007 is a dress she may still have. She wore another dress in 2012, and has worn it again in 2014.

And I also like the new dress much better because of the higher neckline.

And I agree with you both! - Having made dresses for myself for years, I know you cannot alter the front to go up or down like the pictures show. Also, in 2007, the sleeves were gathered on the top seam, and they were wider. And the body was wider to allow for pregnancy.

Conclusion: two dresses. The dress in 2007 is a dress she may still have. She wore another dress in 2012, and has worn it again in 2014.

And I also like the new dress much better because of the higher neckline.

It is the same dress, only heavily modified.

I should have worded my post differently; I cannot see how it could be the same dress, and the reasons I have already posted. And for those reasons I cannot see how it could be the same dress, for which reason I think it is another dress.

You think it's the same dress. That's fine. I disagree, and that's fine as well.

In the end, neither you nor me know; we only think.

She has heaps of dresses, and that's fine, too!

I should have worded my post differently; I cannot see how it could be the same dress, and the reasons I have already posted. And for those reasons I cannot see how it could be the same dress, for which reason I think it is another dress.

You think it's the same dress. That's fine. I disagree, and that's fine as well.

In the end, neither you nor me know; we only think.
I don't think you saw the article posted above by both Archduchesse Zelia and Mellie for you, which quotes mary's dress maker and she states that it is the same dress. She also describes how it was modified, basically the whole bodice and sleeves are new from the leftover material. But you can read it for yourself, it explains everything.

Last edited:
I think credit should be given to the crown princess in thinking of a new way to present the fabulous rubies! Myself, I admired the creativity of the choker and hope the princess will continue to innovate with her historical treasures!:flowers: Happy New Year to all with the hope that danish members will let me know how to say happy new year in Danish!

I completely agree with you. I think it is great that MAry continues to be inventive and uses the historic parure in innovative ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom