Crown Princess Mary's Daytime Fashion Part 4: September 2008 - January 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wondering what Mary will wear for the opening of Parliament in 2 weeks.
As far as I can remember she has always worn a 'recycle', hasn't she?

I'm not sure if that is allowed, but maybe we can make suggestions?

Maybe the nice combination she has worn in Autumn 07 for the visit to Romania?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/lotte52/drws2/07mkII/princessmary_wideweb__470x3160.jpg

I think it unlikely, sorry. Mary has always (to my memory) worn a one-piece coat or jacket for the opening of Parliament, which this outfit doesn't match.

I hope that she will wear something new.

I eat my words. Sorry guys, sleep deprived. I still hope that she'll wear something new.

She wore a suit like this, heels and those earrings to visit poor children in Uganda! Are you kidding me? I don't say that she doesn't have to look nice but this was too much! And I am not saying it just for her! Many royals have done it and still do it! I just think that it's too much! What do they want to show?

Some jeans and a nice jacket would have been better!

I am sure CP Mary will dress accordingly and appropriately as she always does. Is this really an issue? She will be representing her country and a wonderful organization. The fact she is going to this country scores top marks in my book. It should be a very interesting and worthwhile visit.

She is not attending a fashionshow! She is visiting Uganda to do charity!

Last edited by a moderator:
Umm It's Africa? And she'd obviously been sitting? Why are we worrying about wrinkles.

She wore a suit like this, heels and those earrings to visit poor children in Uganda! Are you kidding me? I don't say that she doesn't have to look nice but this was too much! And I am not saying it just for her! Many royals have done it and still do it! I just think that it's too much! What do they want to show?

Some jeans and a nice jacket would have been better!

I don't se why she chould dress down just because the issue is about poor children in Uganda. I do not like discrimination. IMO the poor children of Uganda are not lesser human beings then thouse of us who had the fortune to be born in the wealthiest parts of the world. They too deserve the best of the best, and that includes the respect of CP's (in this case Mary) treating them excatly like everybody else - rich or poor - also when it comes to choice of outfit.

I think she was appropriately dressed for the occasion. I mean, what do you want her to wear instead? Jeans would've been too inappropriate. The dress has a very simple cut and doesn't look like it cost $5,000. And it certainly doesn't look like she wants to show off or anything. She even took off her engagement ring, if you guys noticed. I think people are always going to criticize her no matter what she does.

My first post here in this Thread was about this issue, I think that Princess Mary should have that in attention and yes in my opinion a JEANS and a white t.shirt will be just fine to this Hospital visit and the children will thank her the same way and maybe no one will see the difference too mucht between the princess and the rest of the people :rolleyes: however I think that the dress is very simple but some flat shoes will be just fine

Visit to Uganda this week:

A pale pink dress. I am not a fan, it looks like a bathrobe to be honest. Shoes completely out of place, makes the outfit worse. Flat ballerinas would have been much better. As if Mary had heard the bad comments about label flashing she chose an almost sloppy and crinkly dress that could easily be taken from the H&M rummage table: all must go for 5£.

http://i37.tinypic.com/9te8tx.jpg

Some of the men are wearing business suits. Mary looks fine - she may be more comfortable wearing heels than flats, some women are.
When the children found out that a Princess was visiting them some probably thought that she would be wearing a crown! She looked suitable in her lovely pink dress, and if she was not going to be comfortable in that dress, she would not have worn it. She hugged the kids and sat with them. I am sure that everyone had a fine time.

I think I'll have to disagree with a lot of posters in this thread about Mary's dress. I think its a wonderful gesture, also very respectful on her part as I've always been taught that dressing appropriately for a visit shows respect to your host. I'm sure the children, at least those cute girls appreciated her looking her part and would have been highly disappointed to see a princess coming to visit them in jeans........mary would've looked like any other foreigner to them. From all accounts they looked delighted to be with her and play with her etc, if you come from a country(like me) where you don't have an institution like the monarchy you do expect and tend to associate glamour and glitter with royals..........frankly nobody wants to see them in casual everyday clothes,especially not when attending an offical engagement.
Although i do agree that sensible flats would've been better for the sake of convenience.(I love her dress, color,cut,fabric eveything) and she does look like she's having a nice time on this trip. Is this her first trip to Africa?

Love the color, hate the dress!!!

Yeah, she toned down her outfit but isn't well ironed.God
Oh no .... she went to Africa with a badly ironed dress. Shame on her.

Kidding aside. I really don't think the kids cared about that at all. :whistling:

Personally I wouldn't even have noticed that.

Apart from this: I think the outfit is adequate for the visit. I remember Märtha Louise's trip to Madagascar earlier this year. She wore high heels for one event, too.. and really no one complained about that fact. :D

Last edited:
Oh no .... she went to Africa with a badly ironed dress. Shame on her.

Kidding aside. I really don't think the kids cared about that at all. :whistling:

Personally I wouldn't even have noticed that.

Apart from this: I think the outfit is adequate for the visit. I remember Märtha Louise's trip to Madagascar earlier this year. She wore high heels for one event, too.. and really no one complained about that fact. :D

well this is Princess Mary daytime fashion, so I'm talking about her outfit. and this is the place to do it.:rolleyes:

It is most likely linen! Anyone ever hear the old adage "Rich wrinkles" concerning linen?? It is also quite probably very warm there and with the children sitting all over her anyone would get wrinkled!

Just an aside. Did anyone notice how the children were dressed in their "Sunday Best" to see the princess? Children from everywhere expect to see a princess in a pretty dress and certainly not in jeans and a shirt.

Last edited by a moderator:
She even took off her engagement ring, if you guys noticed. I think people are always going to criticize her no matter what she does.

I hadnt noticed that, but it is a very good point.
Whatever her reason for doing so, I'm not going to complain about it.

And yes, I do think people are always going to complain, think that some even get enjoyment from it.

When the children found out that a Princess was visiting them some probably thought that she would be wearing a crown!

I agree with you here. I would've done at that age :ROFLMAO:

I think I'll have to disagree with a lot of posters in this thread about Mary's dress. I think its a wonderful gesture, also very respectful on her part as I've always been taught that dressing appropriately for a visit shows respect to your host.

..........frankly nobody wants to see them in casual everyday clothes,especially not when attending an offical engagement.

Although i do agree that sensible flats would've been better for the sake of convenience.

Is this her first trip to Africa?

Yes I was taught something similar (though I think it was proobably my grandparents that taught me that!)

I think you have a point with the 2nd comment, but remember the recent circus from Australia, so maybe there are various points of view in this one...

About the flats, from the pics we have seen so far it looks like she was just inside the hospital, so I think that the low heels were ok.
More outdoors time and I would agree with you.

It is her first official one.
I think that the honeymoon was in Africa.

Her dress is wrinkled b/c of the fabric. She was sitting in a car for awhile to get there. If it is linen or cotton, which it looks, it will wrinkle like that. But the fabric is right for the climate. Also, she is well dressed for the occassion. She is representing Denmark and the Crown, but going to a third world country. A summer dress is right on. I personally don't like it in terms of style or color, but she doesn't look bad in it.

As for some of her boxy jackets. They are very much the style right now. I have two. My mother is forever telling me they make me look fat. But no one else agrees. Got to love a mom who tells you your fat all the time.

Someone mentioned Mary's aging earlier. I disagree with what a poster wrote about her aging badly. Are you kidding. She looks great for her age and two kids. She is better than most women her age.

As for her shoes not fitting. You can't really tell how they fit unless the heel hangs over the edge of the shoe. It all depends on internal construction as to where the toes go. Yes, she does have corns, and blisters. But those don't just come from heels. You can get them from ballet flats, boots etc. It can be from a seam or a certain part where the foot rubs. It's just part of the job.

Just an aside. Did anyone notice how the children were dressed in their "Sunday Best" to see the princess? Children from everywhere expect to see a princess in a pretty dress and certainly not in jeans and a shirt.
I noticed that too. All girls in pretty dresses, and boys wearing white shirts. Jeans would have been disrespectful to the children, they expected to see a real princess. Mary looked lovely.

I don't se why she chould dress down just because the issue is about poor children in Uganda. I do not like discrimination. IMO the poor children of Uganda are not lesser human beings then thouse of us who had the fortune to be born in the wealthiest parts of the world. They too deserve the best of the best, and that includes the respect of CP's (in this case Mary) treating them excatly like everybody else - rich or poor - also when it comes to choice of outfit.

I am not a racist neither do I think that she should treat them in a better way because they are living in a poor country!

It's just my opinion that she is kind of very formally dressed for a charity trip in Uganda!

i definitly think Mary toned down her outfit for this visit - the dress is casual yet a lovely warm colour on her. i also noticed that she wasnt wearing her engagement ring on the visit maybe she decidied to also wear less jewellery
royals.web-log.nl: Prinses Mary in Uganda

She is wearing long earrings, a bracelet and of course her wedding band(that's ok!) - what lack of or less jewellery are we talking about?:bang:

I am not a racist neither do I think that she should treat them in a better way because they are living in a poor country!

No, of course she should not treat them in a better way because they are living in a poor country - that would be utterly tasteless and discrimination in disguise.

IMO they deserve that she gve them the best of her best the same way as if she was visiting a hospital in for example Sweeden - also when it comes to her outfit. The only distinction should be regarding climate.

I think the dress is pretty. It looks like linen to me, which would have been appropriate for this visit, and we all know that linen wrinkles quite easily. I really love her shoes.

Thank you, Hedvig. I am happy that you noticed that as well.

A very casual outfit and what I accpected while visiting refugee camps. The day 1 outfit (pink shirt dress) was abit too formal but thats what a princess would wear and thats what the people would expect. The pink dress was very pretty and todays outfit looked comftable.

I love her attire today! The beige trousers and the white blouse were an excellent choice!

Maybe I was a bit harsh with my comments about the pink dress and the heels and the jewellery that she wore yesterday but I really thought she overdid it a bit! The heels and the length of the pink dress, i think, were totally inappropriate! I liked the dress a lot but I think for this occasion she should have better worn it with a pair a white trousers.

Today's outfit underlines the intention Mary's trip should have: it's appropriate and helps to fit in, we see her interact with and listen to the people. Yesterday's outfit was a pity in terms of possible interaction, she could have done a lot more with the kids if she had worn trousers - without being afraid that the short dress might lead to inappropriate shots, exposing too much. It somehow brought an unnecessary distance that is gone with today's attire: no problem to sit on the floor with the kids or bend the knees when wearing trousers!

Yes I think today's outift was tottaly appropriate for the ocassion, maybe yesterday she has other appointmenst and maybe she had to meet some important people so that dress was the best choice. She has Caroline heearing with her during this trip and yesterday Caroline was very formal dress also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom