Catherine Middleton's Fashion and Style Part 3: January 2011 - March 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would you want to buy a dress because Kate Middleton wore it?? Why would you buy a fake sapphire ring and change your hairstyle to look like Kate?? That has never made sense to me. It just shows me how many followers there are in the world.

I don't think this phenomenon is exclusive to Kate...I remember when I was a child and Diana was engaged to Charles back in 1981, everyone went out and copied the 'Diana (hair) cut' and the ring (which just happens to be the same as Kate's ;) maybe these girls, should ask their mothers for their original circa 1981 Diana copy?) It's just a fad and it will pass until the next royal engagment!

I don't think this phenomenon is exclusive to Kate...I remember when I was a child and Diana was engaged to Charles back in 1981, everyone went out and copied the 'Diana (hair) cut' and the ring (which just happens to be the same as Kate's ;) maybe these girls, should ask their mothers for their original circa 1981 Diana copy?) It's just a fad and it will pass until the next royal engagment!

i dont think this is just for diana or kate, remember dorothy hamill?

Some famous look alike hairstyles are Veronica Lake, Dorothy Hamill, Jennfier Anniston (the Rachel), Clara Bow, Jean Harlow, Twiggy, and Diana.

I don't think a lot of people will follow Kate's hairstyle. And I agree that the eyeliner was a little much today.

Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

Kate is so young, I think it's so unflattering to line her entire eye in black. Subtlety is much better in the daytime.
Let's hope she gets a stylist before the wedding! That eyeliner is harsh and brittle and makes her look positively haggard!!! Proof positive that Testino was exceptionally heavy on the airbrushing as it was reported that Kate did her own make-up. This is definitely not her forte . . . . she looks years older. :ohmy:

Kate out for lunch with the Duchess of Cornwall

Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3

Kate looks nice. I like her outfit

Last edited:
Kate out for lunch with the Duchess of Cornwall

Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3

Kate looks nice. I like her outfit

To me, Kate has no sense of style at all. She looks boring, like a relict from the 80ies and in this case the clothes dont even match. Who wears a beige jacket combined with a black and white patterned skirt? Any London business woman will look better on her lunch break than Kate does when dining with her royal future MIL.

I wouldn't go so far to say that she hasn't gotten any style but I do agree that this outfit is a total miss. Its like she is wearing the jacket of another outfit on top of a sheath dress or something. Its a mess.

Kate looks best when she is wearing dresses or suits, like when she is going to a formal event. Apprently, she can't match on her own.

She needs to realize that she needs to look her best whether its just having lunch off the clock or doing an engagement. People wanted to take pictures of her before when she was just dating William, when she becomes a member of the BRF they will take pictures of any and everything. So she can't just pop out wearing anything.

i dont think this is just for diana or kate, remember dorothy hamill?

I'm sure there are ladies posting on this board (maybe, gents too!) who have had their own hairstyles copied by others. During the Farrah Fawcett hair craze, I cut mine into a pixie (a la Audrey Hepburn) and suddenly there were (seemingly) pixies everywhere.

No matter one's age, we continue to learn by observation and imitation. Otherwise, there would be no fashion houses, designers, etc. and we'd all be running around in two squares of fabric sewn up the sides.

I must close with -- if you've found a style you like (aka: HM, PR, DoC) keep it. It's part of your individuality.

Many people don't care for "matchy" clothes, and black and white really can be worn with just about any color. Middleton doesn't wear suits very often -- the ones I recall were much criticized for being very boring, and they actually didn't flatter her very well. She likes to experiment with prints and with mixing and matching various fabrics, and I like her fitted jackets very much, since I wear a lot of them myself. I liked the outfit she wore to lunch with the Duchess: the color combination was a bit unexpected and intriguing. And although many of her clothes could be worn by anyone aged 17-70 (which is actually a positive), she does play around with some items and colors in an interesting way. She makes the occasional misstep, but I fervently hope that her wardrobe won't become utterly staid and filled with matching suit jackets and skirts after her marriage. I suspect it won't.

It is a dress with a jacket she most propably only wore while outside. I don't see how beige doesn't go with black/white :sad: IMO there is no need to match everything you wear from shoes to purse. As long as she doesn't walk around looking like Carrie Bradshaw in her haydays...

She looked very nice. I really love the outfitt.
But she looks so skinny!

She looks old in these pictures... The outfit is very nice, though. I love the skirt/dress and the boots.

Poor Kate, those really are unattractive photos! The dress itself doesn't look bad IMO, but I don't like how she combines dresses with what I think are too tight and too short jackets that may or may not coordinate. She must really like the look because she wears it quite frequently to weddings and such.

I agree that she needs to ease up on the eyeliner. I can't imagine why she thinks she needs so much in the first place. She's a gorgeous woman!

Also, again just my opinion, she needs to get a handle on hair care when she doesn't have a professional helping her. The ends look dry and brittle and the color needs a definite boost as roots and ends are not remotely similar. I hate to sound harsh but I think that being beautifully turned out in public (down to the smallest detail) is now part of her job description going forward, like it or not.

To me, Kate has no sense of style at all. She looks boring, like a relict from the 80ies and in this case the clothes dont even match. Who wears a beige jacket combined with a black and white patterned skirt? Any London business woman will look better on her lunch break than Kate does when dining with her royal future MIL.

I agree with you.
I think she needs some professional help.

Last edited:
The jacket is out of place, for sure!
Never liked her make-up preferences, too heavy for a young girl (or anybody).

It would be nice to see Kate do something different with her hair. Kind of boring to always see it
down.

I thought her jacket was very pretty & did fit very well. The skirt is not bad. I think the overall look was nice but ruined with the very dark tights that looked like really high boots.
This would've been a nice summer look minus the tights.

I assumed the skirt was a dress and she threw the jacket on outside- oops! She should have had the jacket open it's looks unflattering on her zipped up like that but of course it's cold so function first-

I do wish she would smile a bit like Camilla is doing. I realize the press must be annoying but ya know what you're signing up for- embrace it a bit and try and look happy! :)

Edit- in another pic the skirt looks tan colored so maybe it does match jacket-? Also I feel she needs to cut her hair it seems to be getting a bit long and 'weighs' her down IMO

Last edited:
i wonder if she is getting worn down from the pressure of actually getting married and marrying into that family? I can only imagine now that its offical she has a lot more pressure on her to behave, be pretty and always look your best.

close up, not a pretty sight: the heavy eyleliner makeup looks horrific, the hair unwashed or unkempt and kate is already aging badly for a woman who is not even 30.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/02/10/article-1355421-0D1B2EDA000005DC-985_634x873.jpg

Good observation.;) I believe both Kate and her sister have rather bad skin, they're not going to age well. As to the outfit, it's horrible. Just horrible... I like nothing about it, the boots and jacket being the worst and tackiest part, IMO. I see she went out just for lunch but still. She's going to be the No1 Princess in Europe very very soon, better start to respect herself and her position. Her appearance is the mirror of all that, something that the avid fans of Letizia for example don't seem to understand.:cool:

I agree that Catherine's outfit for lunch with Camilla was not her best book, and she look fatigued as well.

Maybe she was trying to be careful not to upstage the Duchess. Maybe she's trying to avoid the mayhem that ensued following the engagement pictures, to avoid any appearance of "endorsing" any one designer or look.

Kate seems to do better wearing one-pieces rather than trying to combine skirts and jackets.

I still think though, that overall, Kate is a lovely woman and dresses well. But I don't think she would want the focus to be solely on her clothes.

Who really knows? Just speculating . . .

Marigold, I'm afraid there are no excuses this time. This was a good hot mess and besides, the media will always follow Kate and comment on her outfits and general look. Why not go for class and elegance, when you have all the means to do so?? In a few months she'll start to represent a nation. I'm sorry, I couldn't help comparing her to Letizia. Well I changed my mind, at least Letizia is pretty and takes care of her skin, hair and make-up. (...)

Last edited by a moderator:
Fitted jackets like that are supposed to be worn buttoned or zipped, not open. The skirt or dress (it's not clear what it is) isn't as short as it may look at first glance; it's got a wide band of black at the hem. I still rather like the outfit and would not want to see Middleton dressing in a stiff suit for a casual lunch. I've never thought much of the way Letizia of Spain dresses. her clothes seem to me to be quite forgettable.

However, I'll agree that Middleton has to do something about her hair, which is too long and getting a little boring. I've long suspected that Middleton thinks her hair is her best feature and that she'd look less attractive without that long mane. The truth is that she may be correct -- though her looks are appealing, she's not a great beauty -- but she could still take off some inches and get a better cut.

As for her skin, she simply wasn't born with a great complexion, and there is only so much she can do about that. Her skin is thick, somewhat large-pored, and has some olive undertones. A porcelain-skinned princess she's never going to be.

I liked the jacket and the dress for that matter, but all round her appearance was washed out. The hair has got to go either back or cut into a more Princess-like shearpness, it looks in the photo dull and in poor condition.
I love the diary as I always have one and loath phones and so on.
The eyeliner is a big question make ..what is it just a really bad photo or the real thing.
I also think she has lost a lot of weight .. but am loathed to go on as I do not wish to start that discussion.
Verdict IMO anyway ... needs work.

However, I'll agree that Middleton has to do something about her hair, which is too long and getting a little boring. I've long suspected that Middleton thinks her hair is her best feature and that she'd look less attractive without that long mane. The truth is that she may be correct -- though her looks are appealing, she's not a great beauty -- but she could still take off some inches and get a better cut.

True, of perhaps William prefers her with long, loose hair. ;)
I think that everyone, to an extend, adapts his or her appearance to the partners preference.
That said, doing something different once in a while with that long hair would be nice.

Like I said on the other thread, she looks like she came straight out of the jungle. Her face looks beat up too...she must be stressing a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom