Royal Orders and Decorations

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The foreign orders are not mentioned online:

His Royal Highness Willem-Alexander Claus George Ferdinand Prince of the Netherlands, Prince of Orange-Nassau, Jonkheer van Amsberg;
The Prince of Orange (since April 30th 1980);

27 April 1967
Knight Grand Cross in the House Order of Orange
(granted by Queen Juliana of the Netherlands)

30 April 1980:
Knight in the Order of the Golden Lion of Nassau
(granted by HRH Grand Duke Jean of Luxembourg)

30 April 1980:
Investiture Medal
(granted by HM Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands)

27 April 1985:
Knight Grand Cross in the Order of the Netherlands Lion

25 October 1995:
Knight in The Most Venerable Order of Our Lady of 's-Hertogenbosch (Bois-le-Duc)
(granted by the Chapter of the Order of Our Lady)

8 June 1996:
Knight in The Most Venerable Order of the Hospital of Saint John of Jerusalem
(granted by the Netherlands Chapter of the Order of Saint John)

6 December 2001:
Officer's Cross for 15 years of service in the Armed Forces

2 February 2002:
Wedding Medal

Last edited:
thank you so much, henri. which orders does maxima have?

Last edited by a moderator:
carlota said:
thank you so much, henri. which orders does maxima have?

From the Dutch/Luxembourgian Orders, I suppose:

02-02-2002
Dame Grand Cross in the Order of the Netherlands Lion

(possibly)
02-02-2002
Dame in the Order of the Golden Lion of Nassau*
(granted by HRH Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg)

02-02-2002
Wedding Medal

*= This Order belongs to both the House of Orange-Nassau and the House of Nassau with the Queen and the Grand Duke as joint Grandmasters.
The Queen of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau, bestows this order to children of the Luxembourgian Sovereign when they become 18 years old.
The Grand Duke of Luxembourg, Duke of Nassau, bestows this order to children of the Netherlands Sovereign when they become 18 years old.

Last edited:
Henri M. said:
02-02-2002
Wedding Medal
(granted by HM Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands

Stupid question but what is a Wedding Medal?

Lady Jennifer said:
Stupid question but what is a Wedding Medal?

It is a just remembrance medal and can be given in bronze, silver and gold, depending on rank or involvement in the wedding proceedings.

So the seamstress making the robes or a soldier standing guard received a bronze one.
A Mistress of the Robes, a Chamberlain or an aide-de-camp received a silver one.
Someone like The Prince of Wales received a golden one.
You have to think more or less in that line.

Wedding Medal 1901

Wedding Medal 1937

Wedding Medal 1966

Wedding Medal 2002

Last edited:
Honours and Decorations

Here is a link that will be of interest to those who have an interest in the honours systems of both Great Britain & the various British Commonwealth member states; British Medals Forum :: Index .

Aidan.

Honours and decorations are very interesting, especially the complex system in the United Kingdom, I don't think other Commonwealth systems are just as interesting due to their lack of regalia, as far as I am aware only the Order of New Zealand has a Sash which is quite dissapointing considering the wide and varied selection of sashes, stars, bows and medals that Royals can were in the UK.

The 'Order of New Zealand' is actually a neck badge.There are some people over here who reckon that the 'Order of New Zealand' & the 'New Zealand Order of Merit' are fit for being abolished.

We used to have people being appointed to the ranks of the various Imperial British orders,such as the Order of the British Empire.I know someone who is a recipient of an M.B.E. (Civil Division),& I knew someone that was a recipient of an O.B.E. (Military Division).

It goes to show what happens when corrupt politicians don't bother consulting the people.

Aidan.

Please forgive my inaccuracy, can you explain the orange sash worn by The Queen in her official New Zealand Portrait

It looks orange,but it is actually red.It is the 'New Zealand Order of Merit' insignia that she is wearing.I prefer the portrait where she is wearing the insignia of the Order of the Garter.

Aidan.

I do agree the Garter always looks better than foreign orders.

Question about the Prince of Wales and his medals

I searched around for a thread about this topic. If I missed it somehow then I trust the moderators will merge this one into the proper place. I am sorry if I am causing trouble. I am just wildly curious at the moment about his medals.
I randomly came across a picture from his wedding day in 1981. I considered for the first time his two medals at the time. What were his two medals then?
I am talking about the two military ribbon medals he wore on his first wedding day in 1981.

They are:
HM Queen Elizabeth II Coronation Medal 1953 and;
HM Queen Elizabeth II Silver Jubilee Medal 1977

In addition to my last post, at the time of the first wedding of HRH The Prince Charles, His Royal Highness was also in possession of the following Orders of the United Kingdom and the Commonwealth;

Knight of the Most Noble Order of the Garter - KG
Knight of the Most Ancient and Most Noble Order of the Thistle - KT
Knight Grand Cross of the Most Honourable Order of the Bath - GCB
Knight of the Order of Australia - AK

Royal orders

I was just wondering why it seems that the wives of the British Royal family does not seem to receive other Royal orders like the other wives do? I do not think that Camilla has any. Diana received one and I am not sure about Sophie. Does the BRF just get left out because they do not interact with the other royal houses as much. Just a question, what do you think? I think that Camilla needs so orders, she is the wife of the future King.:rolleyes:

I think is a old Belgian order, from when has got many Belgian territories.

As far as I can tell, the only Belgian order Philip has is the Order of Leopold, and I can't find any Belgian order that looks like that.

The valet made an error and for 'Leopold' read 'Leopard' so the Duke of Edinburgh found himself with an order from Zaire with no time to get the correct one.
See this post from the King Baudouin Funeral thread for the details.

Last edited:
I would like to know where I could have made this bows with this pendants on the chest ? sorry I do not know the name how you call them , you can see the photo here what I mean.
my cousin gets marry and I thought it would be nice that my mother and my 2 aunts could have this pendat with the photo of their lates husbands with a bow made out of a ribbon of the danish flag becasue the 3 bothers were danish.
I would apreciate so much anyones help from the forum!:flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to know where I could have made this bows with this pendants on the chest ?

I don't believe there is any place that would sell them. The bottom three are all Royal Family Orders and the top one is the Order of the Crown of India.

The valet made an error and for 'Leopold' read 'Leopard' so the Duke of Edinburgh found himself with an order from Zaire with no time to get the correct one.
See this post from the King Baudouin Funeral thread for the details.

this is bizarre!! how can such thing happen?? apparently the link that you gave isn't working anymore. I would love to read about it..

:previous:
The link in the original post has now been fixed. Here's the link to the post in the King Badouin Funeral thread.

Last edited:
Hello! Do you know what were the Decorations and Orders during the times of the Pahlavi Dynasty in Iran?

Regards!

5 little rows of small decorations (barette) belonging to Prince Axel of Danemark and the one of his son Prince Georg were sold on May 18th at Drouot /Paris +/- 1.300 € each. Two sashes of St Olaf of Norway one 50 € and the other 100€ !

To Warren , you are absolutely right about the error of Leopold/Leopard sash at King Baudouin 's funerals.
When the Duke arrived in the morning of the funerals, at the air-plane there was a big consternation among the military people who were there but no one had the high level enough to ask the Duke to change.
In the Church he should have seen that the RF and Royals were wearing the amarante sash of the Leopold's Order...

The subject title of this thread currently being Royal Orders and Decorations, I was curious to know what makes an order a royal one.

Is it that the fons honourum is/was royal?

Is it that the grandmaster must be royal?

Is it that the order is only bestowed upon those recognized as royal?

Or is it just a term which no longer carries its original meaning and can refer to any order associated with any entity (country or person)?

Kind of a confusing issue to me since there seems to be no differentiating between National, Imperial, Royal and other types of orders here... or whether "types" even apply to orders at all. Maybe "order" is its own type and needs no further refining (thus the thread's subject title need not include the word 'royal' at all)?

I've always wondered this question and I think this will be the right place to ask...

There is a picture from early on where Diana is wearing an Orange-Yellow Order and it's pinned on w/that famour Sapphire Diamond Brooch she was given by the Queen Mum. It's the one picture that I say she looks like a "Traditional Princess" if that makes any sense. Anyway...I've always wondered what Order she is wearing in that picture.

Thanks in Advance!!

BTW, I adore the Order of Canada, but I'm biased there. ;) A good friend of my Parents was honoured w/selection to the Order last year both for his work in making Manitoulin Transport into what it is and also for his Charitable Work here on the Manitoulin Island/Northeastern Ontario. He wore it to our LionsFest Weekend Events, as that was part of the reason why he was even considered for it, and I got an up close look at it.

It is gorgeous!!! The pictures do not do any of them justice in the slightest!!

Just thought I'd add that to the discussion. :)

Back
Top Bottom