Jewelled Royal Monograms or Cyphers

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

foweyriver

City
Par
Country
United Kingdom
Hello - I am in need of your help!
I have an item which has a royal monogram or cypher in patinum and diamonds and after months of research still cannot find out to whom it relates. All I know is that it is that of a royal princess but nothing else, possibly of British descent as it is on a Asprey of London item although it could easily be someone in mainland Europe. The item dates from 1917-18.
I would really appreciate any information.
Kind regards
Lynn

Attachments

• ab.jpg
    ab.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 839
It looks like a letter 'M'.
Perhaps princess Maud of Wales (later first Queen of Norway). That might be around that time.

Many thanks for your reply it is wonderful to have my first on the Royal Forums!
I have looked into the fact it could be Queen Maud of Norway or Princess Maud (Princess of Wales) but the hallmark on the piece is 1917-18 and she was crowned in 1905. Would she have used this monogram even though she was a queen some 12 years earlier?
I have tried various sources to see if this could be right but so far no one has been able to help.
Hopefully someone in this forum could point me in the right direction.
Best wishes
Lynn

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 464
Royal Cypher Monogram

This is a more detailed photograph of the monogram!

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 543
Royal Wedding dress buttons

I am posting here because between all of the collectors and knowledge in this forum someone (hopefully:flowers:) will be able to help me find any kind of information on the item that I have.

Let me tell you a bit of the story..my husband had a very old model car that was left at his shop for over 10 years and later found out that the owner of the car was in prison for a very long time. He filed a lien on the car and decided to restore it himself. While taking the seats out of the car, he found a navy blue jewelry box. On the inside of the box, royal blue velvet and in gold lettering, "Royal Wedding HRH The Prince of Wales and Lady Diana Spencer 29th July 1981" Inside the box are 12 gold buttons. 6 small and 6 large. the backs of them are like ones that go on a jacket I suppose. The buttons have a royal crest on them. with a big "C".

As you can tell , I know nothing about them or the royal family. We've had these buttons for a VERY long time now and I am extremely curious about their origin as I have been unable to find anything commemorative resembling them on the net and have taken them to an auction type thing that came to our town but no one knew anything about it since they weren't commemoratvie?? If anyone has any information they can share, it would be much appreciated.Blessings!! Wendy

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 489
  • scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 463
What a find! I would PM Warren. Maybe he might be able to help you out. If they are "real" whoever lost them must have been in big trouble. Please keep us informed on what you find out.

I'd suggest you send your query to Clarence House. The officials there would be able to give you an authoritive answer.

I would be worry becasue if this are items that they were stolen by this person you said left the car at your husband shop,eventhough you found them i don't think you are entitle to keep them? may be here with more knowlodge than me can give you a legal advice.

The coat of arms on the right is definitely the Spencer one as seen here:

File:Spencer Arms.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have never seen the C monogram with a crown before. Can you make out the letterings going around the C?

I wonder if the buttons were supposed to be wedding present to Prince Charles.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so so grateful for all of the responses. I will work on the information that has been given to me here. I really am thankful to find people who know about this sort of thing. Again, thank you Warren for your response and I will be requesting from this clarence house you spoke of. Isn't it a fun project! Who knows where they came from or what they are and how they ended up in a small southern town in Alabama. God only knows! More to come, I'll keep you posted and let me know if you find anything else.

We aren't worried about 'entitled' or not entitled or legal advice. We have a very good friend who is a lawyer and will be well taken care of in this area.

I did read the lettering around the 'C' Miss Ayvee... Here is what I believe it says. I will have to look under a much much closer lens. There are letters written under the crown as well but so so small. Around the C it says, "HONI-SOIT-QUI-MAL-Y-PENSE" under the coat of arms it says, 'D' or 'O' (I can't make it out) ELU 'D' OR 'O' ETEND LE 'D' OR 'O' ROIT" on the back of the buttons in a circle is listed again the participants of the wedding and longways is written the date.
Blessings! Wrurak

This is a more detailed photograph of the monogram!
How about Mary, Princess Royal, Countess of Harewood? She would have been known as Princess Mary at that time, not yet having been created Princess Royal until 1931.

Last edited:
I am so so grateful for all of the responses... I did read the lettering around the 'C' Miss Ayvee...
Thanks for your reply. Under the coat of arms for the Spencers, it would say DIEU DEFEND LE DROIT which means 'God Defend The Right'. This motto appears in the Spencer coat of arms.

HONI SOIT QUI MAL Y PENSE (Shame be to him who thinks evil of it) is the motto of the 'Order of the Garter', which Prince Charles is a knight.

Under the Prince of Wales feathers, the motto says ICH DIEN (I serve).

You really have a great find!

i think they are a great find, honestly and so very beautiful. I don't know what I should do with them really. We've had them 20+ years in a safe. Should I sell them, should I show them, should I donate them? How do I know their value? How would I know their origin? What if he would like them back! I just don't know where to look or where to start. Thanks again for your information. These are things that I didn't know about the buttons. I'll try to upload another picture or two. Blessings! Wendy

Hi, I live in Pennsylvania and I also have one of these blue boxes with the enscription
Royal Wedding
HRH
The Prince of Wales
And
Lady Diana Spencer
29, July 1981

There are 8 gold buttons inside 4 big and 4 small.
There is a crown on the top and a man on a horse with 2 polo clubs

Does anyone have any idea about these?? I can't find any info online

UPDATE: I found out that my grandpa brought them home from a trip to England in 81....I also found out that they are made by the London badge and buckle company....I can't find any other info however and I've been looking for 2 years!!!!

Hello - I am in need of your help!
I have an item which has a royal monogram or cypher in patinum and diamonds and after months of research still cannot find out to whom it relates. All I know is that it is that of a royal princess but nothing else, possibly of British descent as it is on a Asprey of London item although it could easily be someone in mainland Europe. The item dates from 1917-18.
I would really appreciate any information.
Kind regards
Lynn
There is a resemblance to the momogram of queen Marie of Romania, she was born princess Marie of Edinburgh, http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2d/Royal_Monogram_of_Queen_Marie_of_Romania.svg and she had a daughter named Maria, who was born in 1900.

Attachments

• image-3343915354.jpg
    image-3343915354.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 679
Back
Top Bottom