Iranian Crown Jewels

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ye Gods and Little Fishes,

Ye Gods and Little Fishes,

That sapphire trinket is to die for. Magnificent. Y0u have made my day. Just as I was having fits with my obsessions going over the Princess Margaret brooch you come upwith this fantastic conglomeration. I have never seen it listed in the Iranian crown jewels. Further the collection was noted for its dearth of sapphires and oddly noted for its massive collection of emeralds, diamonds, including some magnificent yellow diamonds and pink ones as well, spinels and rubies, spinels until fairly recently considered to be rubies. Then are a barnyard load of pearls, but not many sapphires. So this is al wonderful find.

Styalistically it looks Persian. It also looks French, due to that horrendous dip in the front of the headpiece. i guess they did that to keep the thing from falling off the royal or imperial head but it still looks as ugly as sin. The diamonds are massive a la Russe or in the Persian style and the positioning of the sapphires would seem to cinch the deal. those are sapphires aren't they. The colour scheme on these blasted machines leaves much to be desired.

Would you kindly publish the google link so I may peruse the goods first hand myself. And merci beaucoups. Thats pronounced mercy bohcups, by the way. Cheers.

You are right with the Persian and with the French I believe, Thomas. It belonged to Empress Farah, and was likely made in France along with many of the parures of the Shahbanou.

I agree! The Romanov imperial collection was much bigger though, given centuries of acquisitions. The Iranian collection was mostly designed and acquired during the reign of the last Shah, although many old stones in the Treasury were used as well.

I'm sorry branchg, but you're wrong. The Iranian Crown Jewels have more than 600 years of history behind them - Possibly much more. It was during the Safavid dynasty that most of the jewels were acquired. Almost none of the collections jewelry were acquired by the late Shah of Iran. However, many of the pieces were designed during his and his fathers reign using the gems that have belonged to the crown jewels for centuries. You're also wrong about the Russian crown jewel collection being bigger than the Iranian. The Iranian collection is by far much larger. It is the largest collection in the world, and also one of the least known collections, due to the fact that it was kept secret for centuries up until the Pahlavi dynasty when it was put on display for everyone to see. A lot of the jewel-studded objects of the Russian treasures were also either gifts of the Persian Shahs to the Tzars, or looted during the Irano-Russian wars in the 1700's and 1800's.

You can read more about the spectacular Iranian crown jewels here: Iranian Crown Jewels - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The crown Jewels of Iran are displayed in more than 40 big glass-cases, some of them crowded with tiaras, necklaces, broches, earrings, swords, etc. The collection has shrunk immensly through the centuries as royal family members of the older dynasties grabbed many of the items for themselves, as well as through looting during various invasions. European travelers to Persia in the 1600's report having seen all the royals and their courtiers wearing magnificent clothes extravagantly studded with precious gems, jewel-studded pillows, chandeliers, and thousands of utensils such as pitchers, plates, spoons, cups, dish-covers, etc. One such traveler reported having counted up to 4000 such utensils and yet he had not seen all. Most of it vanished during the Afghan raid on Isfahan in 1719. Isfahan which was referred to as one of the most beautiful city in the world prior to the invasion, was devastated.

Also, Persia had some incredible treasures during the Achaemenid dynasty some 2500 years ago. It is said that it took some 10,000 horses to carry all the treasures of Persepolis from one palace to another. During the Sassanian dynasty which ended with the Arab conquest of Iran in the 7th century, an enormous Persian rug made of the finest diamonds and other precious gems was hanging on the wall of the large hall as one entered the palace. This rug was reportedly cut into pieces by the invadors and divided between them.

Last edited:
A small diamond tiara - made for Princess Farahnaz for the coronation - made by Van Cleef and Arpels.

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=139894&d=1115725682

Do you know if the small tiaras/crowns that wore the girls during the wedding of the Shah and Farah were authentic tiaras of diamonds?

LIFE: Farah Dibafiancee Of Shah Of Iran - Hosted by Google

(I'm refering to the little girls)

Regards!!

Wow,the collection Aryan posted above was really interesting.I rarely have the chance to see such "heavy" ancient jewels :flowers:

Do you know how many tiaras has this treasure?

Regards!

this is my second post lol i am not sure where to say hello but hello anyway :) i think the irainian jewels are stunning and i love the shams tiara they are beautiful and aigrettes are amazing they look delicate but bet they are heavey

I'm sorry branchg, but you're wrong. The Iranian Crown Jewels have more than 600 years of history behind them - Possibly much more...
I really appreciate your information,I always admired Persian jewels,they are quite ostentatious but very beautiful and delicate in their colour&shapes! It´s good that they are in a museum now (or at least some of them) so that the people in Iran and also visitors from other countries can look at them.
Maybe other posters believe the style is French because Farah Dibah wore many glamourous gowns from French couturiers and her wedding dress was made by Dior?

Last edited by a moderator:
Farah's crown for the coronation was made by Van Cleef & Arpels because there was no existing crown for a Shahs consort. Pierre Arpels himself went to Tehran to select the stones. She talks about this in her autobiography "An Enduring Love"

One of my favourite of Iranian Crown Jewels - Princess Fatimeh’s Sunburst Tiara.
It is currently exhibited at the Museum of the Treasury of National Iranian Jewels, which is open to public.

Princess Fatimeh’s Sunburst Tiara

Picture in public domain.

Attachments

• fatemeh3.jpg
    fatemeh3.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 1,046
Flame Tiara and Parure of Princess Shams
The parure of a tiara, necklace and a pair of earrings was created by Van Cleef & Arpels. It was among the large number of jewels ordered for Persian Royal Ladies to be worn at the 1967 Coronation of the Mohammad Reza Pahlavi and Farah Diba.

Attachments

• Capture22.JPG
    Capture22.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 823
It is somehow sad to imagine that not only Soraya's successor Farah, but also her successor's mother wore her wedding tiara.

It is somehow sad to imagine that not only Soraya's successor Farah, but also her successor's mother wore her wedding tiara.

Well I think it´s great other members can wear the tiaras like in Denmark, Sweden or Netherlands, for example. Harry Winston´s tiaras also were designed for Soraya but she never could wear them.

Other pic of Farah´s mother wearing the tiara and the little Princess Farahnaz with her small diamond tiara:
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

Princess Ashraf´s diamond and emerald tiara

Princess Fatemah´s tiara

Princess Shahnaz and Princes Ashraf´s daughter

It was a mindblowing collection of jewels,but now in the vaults in Tehran,unfortunately.I recall the 60s and 70s and Farah Diba wearing all of the parures,either for photo shoots at the Niavaran Palace or State Visits.Glorious days and times for Iran,a modern enclave in that region at the time,with the Shah being way ahead of his time indeed.Untill he was betrayed by his,what,allies....it took France and a peanut just a little while to stir up the volume and have the Shah and his family fleeing,when the Shah´s Boeing 707 took off...the Air France 747 aircraft of Khomeini landed....and then..began a dictatorship the likes of which we had not seen before...Just a short update of Iran´s history for those here who were too young at the time,or not even born,before they hear versions that are far from the thruth

The present theocrats wear the dresses but haven´t found one that matches any of the Imperial jewellery

The only tiara she personally owned was the turquoise tiara and she left it behind, and she gave her pearl necklace to her PA.

Did she leave the tiara in Iran? Where are she now?
Because she gave the pearl necklace to her personal assistant?

Did she leave the tiara in Iran? Where are she now?
Because she gave the pearl necklace to her personal assistant?
Yes she left it in Iran even though she owned it. I don’t know where it is, maybe the government confiscated it and kept it in the treasury.

Jewels of the Iranian Royal Family

Tiaras of the Iranian Royal Family

Back
Top Bottom