Crowns and Royal Regalia

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous:
Tarlita<

Oh yes I certainly agree with you as I think this is so hideous a crime against a country in taking the national historical artifacts what can never be replaced.

So please JR76 let us know if you get any info on this for us. It will be very much appreciated here.....:flowers:

These jewels are priceless. I am not just referring to the dollar amount. To some monarchists they represent an emotional part of regal history.

The heist is odd/puzzling as it would be impossible to sell the pieces.

Not if they already had a buyer in place. As Currying and Friedrich Karl II said, there could be a rich collector who just wants to own such a thing.

The first thing I thought was "theft on commission" i.e. an unscrupulous collector hired thieves to steal the burial regalia for their own personal collection. These pieces can't be fenced the usual way, and their value is so much higher intact than broken up for the jewels and metal. They are on their way to someone's private, basement museum.

Aftonbladet have been in touch with the famous and well respected Professor of Criminology Leif GW Persson to hear what he has to say about the theft. He definitely agrees with several of the posters here in that it looks like a "theft on commission" since their value lies in the symbolism of the items and not the value of the metal which is believed to be around 500 000 SEK. He says that other items stolen from Swedish churches have mainly ended up abroad.
Leif believe the theft to be well planned and considers the use of bikes between the church and the water to be a stroke of genius since they in the narrow alleyways of the old city are the fastest way to travel. He finds the escape by water to be equally smart since it made it more difficult for the police to trace them or fence off any areas. Strängnäs being situated on Lake Mälaren means that it's connected by waterways in a great part of central Sweden and even the Baltic sea (my comment).
The police have made a few investigative raids without any results and put out an international notification on the stolen regalia.
The police are now looking for both boats and jet skis since different witnesses claims to have seen the thiefs escape by both.

Thank you for that JR76. Certainly sounds like a well planned heist. I really hope Sweden gets them back somehow.

Thank you for that JR76. Certainly sounds like a well planned heist. I really hope Sweden gets them back somehow.
Aftonbladet reports that according to their sources police have found a small amount of blood on the shards from the box shattered during the robbery. The blood is said to belong to a person whose flat was searched by the police but without them finding anything.
Expressen in their turn reports that finds have been made but this is something the spokesperson for the Strängnäs cathedral, Catharina Fröjd haven't heard anything about.
The police refuses to comment on both eventual searches and finds.

Not if they already had a buyer in place. As Currying and Friedrich Karl II said, there could be a rich collector who just wants to own such a thing.
A buyer in question shows a lack of good judgement. One can steal a picture/ ancient artifact from a museum. However, the Crown jewels are in the different category.

Very odd, but at least the regalia became known for most Swedes now. I don't think many have seen pictures of the stolen funeral regalia before, or knew that they were exhibited in Strängnäs.

It would be another thing with the crown jewels at the Royal Palace in Stockholm.

A buyer in question shows a lack of good judgement. One can steal a picture/ ancient artifact from a museum. However, the Crown jewels are in the different category.

I'd say stealing anything shows a lack of good judgment :whistling:

Aftonbladet reports that according to their sources police have found a small amount of blood on the shards from the box shattered during the robbery. The blood is said to belong to a person whose flat was searched by the police but without them finding anything.
Expressen in their turn reports that finds have been made but this is something the spokesperson for the Strängnäs cathedral, Catharina Fröjd haven't heard anything about.
The police refuses to comment on both eventual searches and finds.

Thank you JR. Well thats something for the police to go on. If they know of this flat then can't be long to find a name or better a CCTV camera footage of a person of interest to their enquiries.
A lot of police work in man hours to go. Checking out jet ski owners etc.
It is time to have security cameras everywhere there are national treasures etc. If they planned it well they possibly used false names to rent the flat.
Hopefully a good old fashioned nosy neighbour can help with an identification.
Men planning a heist are not going to cook for themselves. I would check out all the fast food outlets nearby and check there CCTV footage. Once they get a description.

Ok I will put my detective hat away now.
And thank you JR for the update.

:cool:My detective hat is back on.
May i suggest that the Swedish authorities ask other countries for help in the way of -- did they happen to have a satellite passing over at that time of the day. I am not saying for a minute it may be a spy satellite.
But weather satellites etc have to Orbit. Therefore they could be Lucky to find one which passed over at that time and could easily pick up the wake of a motorcraft. If so then it is a matter of seeing where the craft docked.
It doesn't solve this case but continues to give a lead for investigators.

I imagine northern Europe is just littered with all sorts of satellites. In remote areas of this country with clear night skies it is a joy to sit around a campfire and count how many satellites we see passing by.

Ok Hat off until my next lightbulb moment. :flowers:

Last edited:
I'd say stealing anything shows a lack of good judgment :whistling:
Not necessarily. Modern culture (especially films) has been glamourising a bank/jewellery robbery. One might view such activity as a solution to one's problems.

Last edited:
Its also a lack of good judgment not to be able to separate fantasy from reality. What happens in movies and on the TV screen easily is deemed as fantasy by most adults in this world. :D

The Swedish RF have been unlucky with the theft of jewels lately following the theft from Princess Christina's a few years back.

However this one is far more brazen and well planned.

Are there any updates or leads on the Swedish Crown jewels?

According to Aftonbladet, the funeral regalia of King Karl IX & his wife Queen Kristina that was stolen last summer from Strängnäs cathedral was found last night in a garbage can in a suburb north of Stockholm.
All of the regalia, two crowns and one apple, is said to have been found.
Because of this the trial against a 22 year old suspected for involvement in the theft have been postponed by the Swedish Prosecution Authority who confirms that the whole booty have been found.

Last edited:
According to Aftonbladet, the funeral regalia of King Karl IX & his wife Queen Kristina that was stolen last summer from Strängnäs cathedral was found last night in a garbage can in a suburb north of Stockholm.
Because of this the trial against a 22 year old suspected for involvement in the theft have been postponed by the Swedish Prosecution Authority who confirms that the whole booty have been found.

Why was the trial postponed because of the find? Did the location suggest that the prosecutors' suspicious were incorrect?

According to Swedish radio a man has been taken into custody for dealing with stolen goods. The man was apprehended Thursday night for a suspected involvement in the return of the stolen funeral regalia according to a press release by prosecuter Isabelle Bjursten.

Eskilstuna Crown Court have sentenced the 22-year old charged with the theft of the royal funeral regalia from Strängnäs cathedral to 4.5 years in prison & to pay a 90 000 SEK fine
Although first denying the charge he later admitted to being the one who performed the theft. This, together with his DNA being secured on the shattered glass boxes in the cathedral, makes the Crown Court certain that he is the main perpetrator of the crime.

Has the regalia been damaged somehow or is it in a good state ?

Eskilstuna Crown Court have sentenced the 22-year old charged with the theft of the royal funeral regalia from Strängnäs cathedral to 4.5 years in prison & to pay a 90 000 SEK fine
Although first denying the charge he later admitted to being the one who performed the theft. This, together with his DNA being secured on the shattered glass boxes in the cathedral, makes the Crown Court certain that he is the main perpetrator of the crime.

In the context of the Swedish courts, isn't that a severe sentence? I am thinking of the man at the center of the events that led the King to amend the Swedish Academy bylaws, who was sentenced to 2 years in prison after his conviction for rape.

In the context of the Swedish courts, isn't that a severe sentence? I am thinking of the man at the center of the events that led the King to amend the Swedish Academy bylaws, who was sentenced to 2 years in prison after his conviction for rape.
According to what respected attorney Viktor Bank tweeted earlier the normal punishment for both a serious theft and rape normally is around two years in prison. The punishment for serious thefts are on a scale between 6 months and 6 years. Since this is deemed by the court to be an exceptionally serious theft in regard to national and cultural interests they find it suitable to weigh in on the higher end of the scale.

Has the regalia been damaged somehow or is it in a good state ?

Unfortunately they're in a very bad state. According to an expert at leading Swedish auction house Bukowskis who had a look at the pictures they should be able to be renovated to somewhat their original status. https://www.nsk.se/2019/02/14/stulna-regalierna-kraftigt-skadade/

Last edited by a moderator:
Press release from the Swedish Police on 18th June:
Now the regalia is back in Strängnäs Cathedral, from where they were stolen almost two years ago. Read about the extensive investigation and the entire criminal history.
The regalia has just been restored and is now in place in its new safe glass showcase in Strängnäs Cathedral. They will still have small traces of being roughed up during the theft, but at the same time they carry a criminal history that may even increase their value.
- The cathedral has also gained a boost. They have an exciting story to tell now, which makes people go there, says Lukas Sterner.
Regalierna – en riktig kriminalhistoria _ Polismyndigheten
Translation

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom